• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zoramon089 Rumor: WiiU GPU is a modified Radeon E6760 [AMD: We haven't said anything]

Goku + kaio-kenX4

Let's be honest here... In reality it puts it on Piccolo level.

That is, it's the new baddie that'll come in and defeat all the current heroes who'll come back in a year after some training and beat it down. That said, it'll stick around the entire time and maybe beat up some lesser foes (Ouya) while the real big boys keep themselves busy with the true battle.

Let's be honest here... In reality it puts it on Piccolo level.

That is, it's the new baddie that'll come in and defeat all the current heroes who'll come back in a year after some training and beat it down. That said, it'll stick around the entire time and maybe beat up some lesser foes (Ouya) while the real big boys keep themselves busy with the true battle.

That only makes sense if the Wii was the previous Piccolo, in which case Xbox360 and PS3 must have been pre-timeskip Goku or pre-timeskip krillin/yamcha.

pramath

Banned
Another article about the DX11 Unity comments

http://gamingbolt.com/wiiu-is-capab...is-obviously-better-than-the-ps3-and-xbox-360

Wii U’s graphics are quite proficient according to Unity Technology’s CEO David Helgason. He mentions that the tech in Wii U can scale nicely and the rumours about it being underpowered.

In a pre-briefing interview with Gaming Blend, Helgason mentioned that the Wii U will be able to take advantage of all the latest Unity Engine’s features.

“Yeah. We’ll do a — we’ll make it potentially possible to do,” he said.

“What’s interesting is that our philosophy is always this: We have a match work flow and I’m sure we can make a decent game and prototype, and they’re fun. And then we have a shared system that basically allows you to access the full capabilities of the hardware you run. That’s going to be good whether you’re running [software] on an iPhone, the Wii U, a gaming PC or whatever.”

The Wii U won’t run Direct X11 because the API is owned by Microsoft and there’s no way Nintendo will license that. However, the Wii U is capable of Direct X11 equivalent graphics using different APIs like Unity 4.

Why are you bumping a random months old thread with basically the same crap you were trying to sell in that thread you made a week or so ago?

jaypah

Why are you bumping a random months old thread with basically the same crap you were trying to sell in that thread you made a week or so ago?

Because he wants to stress that WiiU will have some graphics chops, despite the naysayers. Kind of odd that he wants to see the industry burn though, considering he made a thread about how good graphics are holding video games back. I can't even keep up with all of this shit anymore and the first next-Gen console won't even be released for 2 months. Fun times ahead!

It doesn't matter what's inside. It'll be weaker than the other 2, they'll be weaker than a good PC and it'll all come down to software and features. So many ways to play, no need to be angry.

Hey the PS4 isn't even coming out and the 720 will barely be a console apparently, so I don't why he's trying so hard to make Wii U look good.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

9-22 to 9-24 is a month?

Yes, let's all believe this possibly authentic screencap of a possibly authentic email from an employee who possible knows and would share (internal) info on one of Wii U's most secretive elements.

Also, being 'based' on a chip tells us absolutely dick. Who knows what level of customization that entails?

GUYS, I HAVE RETURNED WITH EVEN MORE NEWS

Nb0Ap.png

JAYinHD

Because he wants to stress that WiiU will have some graphics chops, despite the naysayers. Kind of odd that he wants to see the industry burn though, considering he made a thread about how good graphics are holding video games back. I can't even keep up with all of this shit anymore and the first next-Gen console won't even be released for 2 months. Fun times ahead!

It doesn't matter what's inside. It'll be weaker than the other 2, they'll be weaker than a good PC and it'll all come down to software and features. So many ways to play, no need to be angry.

This so much. The sooner we realize this the better. I've been following gaf for a long time though so I know how it is when new consoles begin to appear.

Has anyone actually emailed AMD to verify that this is true since Zoramon's latest email seems to suggest that this is info that all AMD support people are allowed to give out and wasn't just from one guy.

StevieP

Banned
tag quote?

I'd like to know which "retail" shelves I can purchase this at... best buy?
It would make for a great HTPC chip. Do they sell them at Target?

Hell maybe I'll find the MCM for sale at my local gas station alongside the cigarettes.

C'mon AMD support... Be careful what you say!

I'd like to know which "retail" shelves I can purchase this at... best buy?
It would make for a great HTPC chip. Do they sell them at Target?

Hell maybe I'll find the MCM for sale at my local gas station alongside the cigarettes.

C'mon AMD support... Be careful what you say!

I hear you can buy them at Walmart.

Ryoku

This isn't a hype train anymore, guys.
No..... This here is what we call a hype rollercoaster.....

I still don't believe that it's a modified E6760. A GPU developed "alongside" the E6760 that may have similarities to it? That's possible, for sure.

pramath

Banned

The thread is 2 days old.

I posted a different version of the article and said so when I posted it.

I think the better question is why are you saying a 2 day old thread is a months old.

You seem rather defensive.

Ryoku

In the AMD site ( http://www.amd.com/us/products/embedded/graphics-processors/Pages/radeon-e6760-discrete-gpu.aspx ) says it delivers 576 Gflops of processing, while a Geforce GTX 680 delivers 3090 Gflops. So, this is better or worst than expected?

Drop this FLOPs debate when comparing GPUs with different architectures. It really doesn't help. To give you an idea of performance, an E6760 with 576 GFLOPs is slightly more powerful than a 4850 with 1TFLOP. A 4850 rapes the GPUs inside the 360 and PS3.

It's about in line with expectations. An appreciable bump over 360/PS3 but nothing that would be considered a generational leap.

2.5x Gflops more than the Xenos isn't a generational leap? I like how arbitrary terms are being used as if they have absolute definitions...

Durante

Drop this FLOPs debate when comparing GPUs with different architectures. It really doesn't help. To give you an idea of performance, an E6760 with 576 GFLOPs is more powerful than a 4850 with 1TFLOP.
And a GTX680 with 576 GFlops would be more powerful than an E6760. It's still not a bad measure when you need to break it down to a single number.

Zoramon089 said:
2.5x Gflops more than the Xenos isn't a generational leap? I like how arbitrary terms are being used as if they have absolute definitions...
If you want to define a traditional generational leap by the improvement in technology that usually accompanied it, then no, 2.5x is certainly not such a leap. History shows about an order of magnitude difference between generations.

Drop this FLOPs debate when comparing GPUs with different architectures. It really doesn't help. To give you an idea of performance, an E6760 with 576 GFLOPs is slightly more powerful than a 4850 with 1TFLOP. A 4850 rapes the GPUs inside the 360 and PS3.
Hmm, this is getting complicated

In the AMD site ( http://www.amd.com/us/products/embedded/graphics-processors/Pages/radeon-e6760-discrete-gpu.aspx ) says it delivers 576 Gflops of processing, while a Geforce GTX 680 delivers 3090 Gflops. So, this is better or worst than expected?

About in line.
I think the bigger issue (for some) is that they have really yet to show any titles that push the limit that evidently has been raised. Also, it can be understandible if that extra horsepower is being diverted to render out to a second display.

Ryoku

Hmm, this is getting complicated

Yes, it's more complicated than FLOPs, but not too much more complicated. I'm one who decides to compare relative performances of GPUs through benchmarks--unless the specs clearly dictate which is better, but even then, benchmarks would still be nice to have.

And a GTX680 with 576 GFlops would be more powerful than an E6760. It's still not a bad measure when you need to break it down to a single number.

Well yeah, but that's not necessarily the correct way to look at it (example being E6760 vs 4850).

Durante

About in line.
I think the bigger issue (for some) is that they have really yet to show any titles that push the limit that evidently has been raised. Also, it can be understandible if that extra horsepower is being diverted to render out to a second display.
It could be a (slightly) underclocked 6760. The AMD specs say that 800 MHz is the maximum operating frequency.

About in line.
I think the bigger issue is that there have really yet to show any titles that push the limit that evidently has been raised.

I think CoD: Black Ops 2 it's a good example of the graphical improvement, isn't it?. X360 and PS3 first CoD:BO ran at 600p and 540p respectively, while the CoD:BO2 will run at 1080p at Wii U. Taking in consideration that the first generation of games is always not well optimized, i'd say it's a good demonstrative about the wii u power

Daschysta

Nice, if true, how is the E6760 about heat and efficiency, I imagine that these were things that Nintendo valued when choosing a component to put into their tiny box.

As for leaps in games, most of these games are ports, and Wii-U was never meant to be a big resolution jump, I wouldn't expect big improvements in quick ports (launch ports are always such almost).

Basically in line with (reasonable) expectations about 3x more powerful. Powerful enough to pump out nicer looking games, but not a generational leap, which is typically an order of magnitude. I think most people would be perfectly happy with that. Such a machine should be able to get ports i'd imagine if the developer has a mind to, it wouldn't be nearly the hassle porting to the Wii ended up being.

Top Bottom