• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

To fix your FOV go to %USERDIR%\Documents\my games\Dishonored\DishonoredGame\Config

Open DishonoredEngine.ini

Search for:
GameFOVAngle=75.000000

and change it to meet your needs.

Saw this over at Reddit:

How to change FOV
  • Go to: Documents\My Games\Dishonored\DishonoredGame\Config
  • Open: DishonoredInput.ini
  • Add this line: "m_PCBindings=(Name="F4",Command="FOV 110")" after this line "m_PCBindings=(Name="Zero",Command="GBA_Shortcut_9")". Don't forget to save the file.
  • Launch your game and press F4.
  • Goodbye headache !

FOV Comparison said:
FOV 65:
8QCfy.jpg

FOV 85:
uB77Wh.jpg

FOV 110:
3VRzeh.jpg

How to Hide/display HUD
  • Add this line: m_PCBindings=(Name="F6",Command="ShowHUD true")
  • Press F6 to hide or display HUD.

Remove intro movies (Arkane logo, Bethesda logo, UE3 logo, etc)
  • Go to \Steam\steamapps\common\Dishonored\DishonoredGame\Movies
  • Delete/move these files:
  • Legal.bik
  • LogoArkane.bik
  • LogoBethesda.bik
  • UE3_logo.bik
  • ZenimaxLegal.bik
  • ZenimaxLegal ** .bik ( ** depends of your region)

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Flawless, all key indicators change immediately on pressing a button, RB is block for great justice, full (and wholly clever) vibration support, LB opens quick-select menu and lets you map things to D-Pad, etc.

Awesome. The biggest thing for me is CTRL is awkward to use for block, and I've tried a bunch of different configs for block (V-key, R-key) and none feel correct. RB sounds like it would work perfect.

Is the game not saving key mappings for anyone else? Did a quick search over the last few pages but didn't see anything. Had the exact same problem with theif recently, strangely enough.

Maybe if I run it as an administrator?

Andrew.

Banned
Picked it up and haven't even popped it in yet.

GOTY contender already because...

IT'S GOT A FUCKING FULL COLOR MANUAL

Did anyone else score the pack of Tarot Cards at GS? They look pretty badass. Last time I got a pack of cards from a game release was when Psychonauts came out.

Did anyone else score the pack of Tarot Cards at GS? They look pretty badass. Last time I got a pack of cards from a game release was when Psychonauts came out.

which version?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Remove intro movies (Arkane logo, Bethesda logo, UE3 logo, etc)
  • Go to \Steam\steamapps\common\Dishonored\DishonoredGame\Movies
  • Delete/move these files:
  • Legal.bik
  • LogoArkane.bik
  • LogoBethesda.bik
  • UE3_logo.bik
  • ZenimaxLegal.bik
  • ZenimaxLegal ** .bik ( ** depends of your region)
And now, I dance.

Jack_AG

Banned
Well believe it or not, there are people who own more than 1 console and they might be interested in which version performs/looks the best.

Don't look at me though I sold off my consoles

Fair enough I guess. Although every time i read "HOLYFUCKINGSHIT MANDATRY 20 MINNIT INSTALL FUR PEE ESS TREE!" It usually amounts to 5 minutes in reality. Just sayin.

Flawless, all key indicators change immediately on pressing a button, RB is block for great justice, full (and wholly clever) vibration support, LB opens quick-select menu and lets you map things to D-Pad, etc.

Do you feel like you're gimped using controller over m/kb?

What I mean is does the gameplay not play to the advantages of m/kb?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Do you feel like you're gimped using controller over m/kb?

What I mean is does the gameplay not play to the advantages of m/kb?
Don't feel gimped at all and the gameplay absolutely plays to the strengths of a gamepad over a mouse/kb, for better or for worse, IMO. After feeling RB to block I don't think there's any keyboard/mouse solution I could prefer, though Ash got his block on Mouse button 4 and seems happy with that.

Bear in mind I don't even have a crosshair, so if you leave that on I'd wager you'd feel even more confident. But turn it off because it's amazing.

DSmalls84

Thinking of grabbing the PC version instead of the 360 because of the discount. Can anyone tell me how the performance is and if I can expect to run it at 1080p well?

i5-2320 3.0 ghz
6 gb ram
GTX 555

My pc is an Alienware x51

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thinking of grabbing the PC version instead of the 360 because of the discount. Can anyone tell me how the performance is and if I can expect to run it at 1080p well?

i5-2320 3.0 ghz
6 gb ram
GTX 555

My pc is an Alienware x51
It's UE3. Your computer will wipe the floor with it.

Varna

Looks like I'm not alone :p. And I agree embracing the emergent nature of a video game is, well, the entire point of playing them. I don't know where the stupid perfectionist method I've had drilled into me came from, because I never used to be like that.

I had this very same problem before. It was especially bad in RPG with dice rolls. One day I just started unbinding my quick save/load key and I've enjoyed games much more ever since. You are suppose to use those super rare healing items sometimes or even lose that NPC you have grown quiet fond of.

IronRinn

Same here. I still have those cards. I was surprised when I saw the box for the Dishonored deck; I was expecting just normal playing cards.

Edit: OK, just opened them up. These are beautiful.

so, I've pre-ordered this game off the psn(something I wanted to try at least once just for laughs), does anyone have a eta on when it will be on there?

Don't feel gimped at all and the gameplay absolutely plays to the strengths of a gamepad over a mouse/kb, for better or for worse, IMO. After feeling RB to block I don't think there's any keyboard/mouse solution I could prefer, though Ash got his block on Mouse button 4 and seems happy with that.

Bear in mind I don't even have a crosshair, so if you leave that on I'd wager you'd feel even more confident. But turn it off because it's amazing.

Controller it is then. Thanks.

Oh and I'm definitely turning the HUD off.

So I was surprised at only 9 missions, 6 hour completion, repeat locations and no pushback in reviews.

Game sounds amazing, just seems short for $60 pc game...

ironcreed

Banned
so, I've pre-ordered this game off the psn(something I wanted to try at least once just for laughs), does anyone have a eta on when it will be on there?

Looking like later this evening when the store updates, but sooner would be nice. Would like to be able to play the game before 11:00 or so tonight.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's $45 on PC, and the completion time ranges up to 20 hours depending on playstyle.

You don't get annoying button prompts telling you to climb on certain ledges.
Those are still on for me, but I'm gonna turn them off too. Contextual for health mana means they show up only when you take damage/use mana.

SparkTR

Those are still on for me, but I'm gonna turn them off too. Contextual for health mana means they show up only when you take damage/use mana.

I thought "contextual" refered to the mana/health bars. :eek:

Probably thinking about different things, but I'm certain an option that said 'contextual' removed those ledge prompts. No objective markers are a must though, should have been off by default.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I thought "contextual" refered to the mana/health bars. :eek:
It did. He was misreading a little, just switch "health/mana indicators" to contextual (that's actually what it says in the options)

Edit: oh yeah, he's referring to "contextual prompts" or something like that which can be on or off. I'll probably nix them too :)

the completion time ranges up to 20 hours depending on playstyle.

20 hours because there is a ton of optional content to see you mean?

If you spend the time to explore every single area available (which is what I would do) how does the amount of content compare to deus ex human revolution?

9 missions just sounds so short...I wonder if there is a bunch of DLC to be announced?

SublimeO12

Neo Member
how do you turn the objective markers off? I'm playing on PC, I could not find the option in any of the settings menus last night.

GorillaJu

If you spend the time to explore every single area available (which is what I would do) how does the amount of content compare to deus ex human revolution?

9 missions just sounds so short...I wonder if there is a bunch of DLC to be announced?

It took me 5 hours to finish the first mission after tutorials, exploring everything. I completed all the optional content and found all the bonus items. I imagine not all the missions are as long as the first and they'll shorten as I get better at the game as well (I saved and re-loaded a lot). I suspect it'll be about 15-20 hours for me to finish the game.

If you can finish Dishonored in about 6 hours, you're doing the absolute bare minimum, and rushing through the game, which is something you can do for every game ever and not just Dishonored.

how do you turn the objective markers off? I'm playing on PC, I could not find the option in any of the settings menus last night.

Options -> Graphics -> User Interface, scroll down a little. I'm playing with them off and I would recommend it based on my experience. Feels like an organic experience this way.

yeah, i got the cards too. They received more preorders than they expected, so not everyone is getting cards. Don't wait to pick up your preorder!

Tarot cards Gamestop only + limited supply + likely popular new IP series = rare collectible.

I won't be opening mine.

KingKong

man the Steam numbers (http://store.steampowered.com/stats/) are worrying me, only 4k people playing Dishonored :(

I guess you could say its not out in Europe yet and it's 10AM, but I remember Skyrim and BL2 getting massive numbers, and X-Com has double that (and thats sitll pretty low) and it's not out in Europe either

SparkTR

Yep, you'll want to explore a lot and plan some good routes to your objective, find item stashes, evade guards, read books and do side missions. There's a direct way to finish levels, and if you run and gun you'll finish the game pretty quickly. I'm playing it a lot like Thief and I'm having a great time.

It probably has less content than Deus Ex, but different types of games. I got 20 hours out of DE:HR on one playthrough (no DLC) and I'm expecting 16-18 from this.

Yep, you'll want to explore a lot and plan some good routes to your objective, find item stashes, read books and do side missions. There's a direct way to finish levels, and if you run and gun you'll finish the game pretty quickly. I'm playing it a lot like Thief and I'm having a great time.

It probably has less content than Deus Ex, but different types of games. I got 20 hours out of DE:HR on one playthrough (no DLC) and I'm expecting 16-18 from this.

I love DE and its full of content. Even half the content of DE is fine for me

I think arkane prior content was under rated, so its nice they get rocognition

Yep, you'll want to explore a lot and plan some good routes to your objective, find item stashes, read books and do side missions. There's a direct way to finish levels, and if you run and gun you'll finish the game pretty quickly. I'm playing it a lot like Thief and I'm having a great time.

And the side quests are missions themselves. I spent most of my 3 hour playthrough doing the first quest I came upon, as well as some exploring. It's meaty as hell.

TheExodu5

Banned
Awesome. The biggest thing for me is CTRL is awkward to use for block, and I've tried a bunch of different configs for block (V-key, R-key) and none feel correct. RB sounds like it would work perfect.

Do you have good thumb buttons on your mouse? Thumb buttons are perfect for blocking.

ctrayne

This game is better than even I expected, and I've been thrilled about the concept since the announcement. I'm not even sure how to react to it; it's fantastic.
So far I have done a very stealthy, no-kill approach, but I simply must go back after this playthrough and try a lethal stealth style, then a no-holds-barred approach. Too much fun stuff to experiment with in one playthrough.
Story is fine so far, but in a game like this, atmosphere does more for me, and Dishonored nails it.

This game is fucking awesome.

4 hours is such BS, I've already played 3 and a half and I'm on the first real mission still. Doing non lethal as much as possible.

Yeah, I played 4 hours last night and I am still on the first official mission with no sign of being even close to finishing it.

Have to second your thoughts on Blink. Once you use it the first time, you will forever see the world in terms of "pre- and post-Blink" era. Can't wait for dat upgrade o.o

Indeed. First upgrade I threw points at was the Blink upgrade. Worth it.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm really liking the game so far. I'm playing on hard and the difficulty feels just right. I'm trying not to abuse quick save too much, but I'm glad the option is there because sometimes it's just really fun to try out different things and see how they work out. Case in point: ambushing Granny's Gentlemen Callers. I set up a bunch of different traps/ambushes for them and tried a few times until I executed it flawlessly. Why? Because it was damned satisfying to do.

I'm really early in the game so I don't want to give it too much credit yet, but I'm pretty damned impressed so far. Linearity in terms of story keeps things focused and prevents the game from devolving because of too much filler content. Runes/charms encourage me to explore my environments. Stealth/assassinations feel rewarding, and when things do devolve into combat, combat feels fantastic and satisfying. Oh, and despite lower resolution assets, the game more than makes up for it with it's gorgeous pastel art style.

If I had to make any complaint against the game, it's that it really fails at making me care about the characters or the story. I really don't feel any connection to the Empress, her daughter, or the rebellion. I'd say animation/modeling is one of the larger culprits here. A big reason why I cared for Alyx in HL2 is because she felt real. I really don't get that feeling with any character from this game.

Top Bottom