• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.

crinale

Not really a monster Hunter fan but I seriously wish Sony would have Scored MonHun4. Every time I look all I see are articles about Sony's failing handheld or how to save it. If Sony scored that game I'm sure it would be the opposite like Sony's unstoppable handheld. Still think Sony should have gave Cap com a blowjob for that one fuck letting it slip away.

Ninty would have offered higher amount of cash Sony have proposed, to the exetent that would overwhelm the benefit.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Level 12 multi touch "puzzle" in MBA, yup deleting this mofo. Just not fun, what an over hyped disappointment, be careful if you haven't played it if you are eyeing it during the new sale. Really wish I didn't buy it.

zroid

Banned
Level 12 multi touch "puzzle" in MBA, yup deleting this mofo. Just not fun, what an over hyped disappointment, be careful if you haven't played it if you are eyeing it during the new sale. Really wish I didn't buy it.

I'm sure I won't feel much regret if I'm paying 4 bucks for it, but the multi-touch puzzles are definitely my biggest concern. I had the (mis)fortune of running into one during the demo I played back in March and it really soured me on the game.

That's why I've been insisting on waiting for a sale.

So I have $32.61 sitting in my PSN wallet. Not sure if I should buy Dokuro today or save it for NFS:MW.

And I just need to spend another $30 for $100
October promotion.

The multitouch parts are like 1% of a otherwise fantastic game. If you really want to let that ruin it for you then you are missing out.

Carl

Had no trouble at all with any of the puzzles in the game.

Oh ffs, I was really looking forward to JSR. It was my last push for those $100. Had I kwon I'd buy a full game instead of so many small titles for that last push.

Yup, very true.
Shit, EA doesn't give a $4 or $5 digital discount, do they?

I don't think Fifa has any discount online. In that case I think I'd buy physical. I wanted to go full digital but my MC is full already.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I'm sure I won't feel much regret if I'm paying 4 bucks for it, but the multi-touch puzzles are definitely my biggest concern. I had the (mis)fortune of running into one during the demo I played back in March and it really soured me on the game.

That's why I've been insisting on waiting for a sale.

The multitouch parts are like 1% of a otherwise fantastic game. If you really want to let that ruin it for you then you are missing out.

Had no trouble at all with any of the puzzles in the game.

I got past it, it's just not fun. This game is awful when it tries to be meat boy with worse controls + touch gimmicks. The 5% of the time it's 2d katamari it's legitimately great sucking up broken tanks and scared scientists. Sadly those sections are far too rare.

As for people expecting EA to give a download discount? It's EA you are lucky they don't charge you 20$ over retail for "convenience".

Valkyr47

Banned
Ugh... cant believe JSR is delayed AGAIN

seriously starting to lose interest in trying that game out, too many other Vita games coming

I got past it, it's just not fun. This game is awful when it tries to be meat boy with worse controls + touch gimmicks. The 5% of the time it's 2d katamari it's legitimately great sucking up broken tanks and scared scientists. Sadly those sections are far too rare.

As for people expecting EA to give a download discount? It's EA you are lucky they don't charge you 20$ over retail for "convenience".

I am not trying to sound like a jerk here so please don't take offense, but what games do you like? Specifically on the vita?

I know we all thought this month was pretty crowded, but the two releases I was most looking forward (JSR and TPA new tabler) got pushed back. FFffff

You convinced your friends to spend over $1000 just because you said so? You, sir, should run for public office.
1. It wasn't all at once. It was over the span of several Weeks

2. I didn't say anything. All it took was uncharted, gravity rush, virtual tennis and UMvC 3 on the OLED and they were sold.

3. They wanted to play games on the go anyway. Vita was "better" than any other alternative in their eyes.

4. Showing them them difference between battlefield 3 on PC and consoles almost made them put down consoles for good.
They only got a ps3 because they have a vita.

5. I should run lol.

Carl

I don't think it's really about whether they're troublesome or not -- multi-touch puzzles just aren't any fun. :(

I may be remembering wrongly, but aren't all of the multi-touch puzzles literally a few seconds of dragging your finger across the screen?

zroid

Banned
Well I mean, I wouldn't know how prevalent they are. All I can speak for is my experience playing a 10 minute demo in which I encountered a multi-touch segment and found it pretty repellent.

I'm glad there's a sale because I'm eager to give it a chance!

literally a few seconds of dragging your finger across the screen?
The problem for me is it needlessly detracts from the larger experience. I think I've said this before but I don't have an issue with touch controls per se; it becomes and issue when I'm playing a game with traditional controls and suddenly I've got to place my fingers over top of the screen and make some gesture. It's frustrating.

VanWinkle

I may be remembering wrongly, but aren't all of the multi-touch puzzles literally a few seconds of dragging your finger across the screen?

Yeah, I thought they were clever, not to mention take up probably no more than 5 minutes of the entire game.

I am not trying to sound like a jerk here so please don't take offense, but what games do you like? Specifically on the vita?

Seriously. LOL. He's one of the most negative gamers I've ever seen.

Ponn

Banned
Not a big racing fan, NFS MW looks good but i'm thinking of doing this to get that $20 for spending $100 instead

Little king story (Vitabros has sold me on it)
Ragnarok Odyssey (I really want to go digital on most stuff to have it on my card)
mutant blobs on sale (just to make Carl happy)
PvsZ on sale
Unfinished Swan

Will pick up FF3 with $20 back

going to keep my LoTR Lego and AC:L preorders at newegg

LuchaShaq

Banned

Katamari touch was too short but I enjoyed my time.

VT4 is gorgeous but like the console version was bummed out how the career upgrades/progression was handled compared to past versions.

Wipeout 2048 is awesome if you can handle the load times. (Don't seem to bother me since 99% of my vita time I have NBA/NFL on the tv in the background or my gf is playing a game on the tv).

Mortal Kombat despite being a port is GREAT.

Rayman again a port but a great game.

UMvC port but fantastic.

Unit 13 while savaged in reviews seems pretty decent for what it is. (only 1.5 hours in).

NFS/AC:L/P4G are 3 of my four most wanted games the rest of the year.

Glix

I think it's smart that the Monster World games aren't out for Vita.

It's gotta be ROUGH porting that emulator.

Come on SEGA, don't suck.

Carl

The problem for me is it needlessly detracts from the larger experience. I think I've said this before but I don't have an issue with touch controls per se; it becomes and issue when I'm playing a game with traditional controls and suddenly I've got to place my fingers over top of the screen and make some gesture. It's frustrating.

I thought it was a nice change from the rest of the game. Helps to mix it up a bit and stop it all getting too boring.

Wow. I think I'll let Carl handle this.

I think the only think I remember pissing me off was the multitouch to get the blob friend in one of the levels in the teens.

zroid

Banned
I thought it was a nice change from the rest of the game. Helps to mix it up a bit and stop it all getting too boring.

I think I'd prefer if the rest of the game were just never boring to begin with :p

Anyway, I don't mean to sound super negative -- hopefully I will find the overall package as awesome as the rest of you folks.

VanWinkle

I'm excited for Straner's Wrath on Vita. Native resolution and no graphical effects cut from the PS3 version. (30fps instead of 60, though.)

Massa

Katamari touch was too short but I enjoyed my time.

VT4 is gorgeous but like the console version was bummed out how the career upgrades/progression was handled compared to past versions.

Wipeout 2048 is awesome if you can handle the load times. (Don't seem to bother me since 99% of my vita time I have NBA/NFL on the tv in the background or my gf is playing a game on the tv).

Mortal Kombat despite being a port is GREAT.

Rayman again a port but a great game.

UMvC port but fantastic.

Unit 13 while savaged in reviews seems pretty decent for what it is. (only 1.5 hours in).

NFS/AC:L/P4G are 3 of my four most wanted games the rest of the year.

I can't imagine how you would write a list of games you didn't like. ;)

Anyway, how is Tales From Space trying to be a Meat Boy clone? They play nothing alike.

Carl

I think I'd prefer if the rest of the game were just never boring to begin with :p

It isn't boring, it's brilliant. But even the greatest of games can get boring if you're doing the same thing all of the time. You need some different mechanics to break the game up and keep it fresh, IMO. Which is exactly what the puzzles and stuff do.

zroid

Banned
Of course, but that's my point, as well. Instead of resorting to touch silliness to break up the monotony, it would have been preferable if they found a way to do the same without having to go in that direction.

Carl

Of course, but that's my point, as well. Instead of resorting to touch silliness to break up the monotony, it would have been preferable if they found a way to do the same without having to go in that direction.

It's not really silliness. I think it works well and fits into the game well. Most other people in here seem to agree.

DBT85

It's not often that I post in the gaming side these days. I still browse and my Vita is still getting used but I try and just not engage. Sometimes though I have no choice

MBA is amazing. Not liking it is punishable by extreme poking with a mildly sharp stick. Sorry.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I can't imagine how you would write a list of games you didn't like. ;)

Anyway, how is Tales From Space trying to be a Meat Boy clone? They play nothing alike.

The different sections of tales from space are clearly broken up into different styles of play.

- The 2d sections where gaining size is the main objective, I found this super fun even if too easy/too short/too rare.

- The "rocket" control sections. I found them both boring and easy.

- The high speed/thread the needle sections that remind me of meatboy. I find these incredibly boring and simply don't think the controls are responsive enough to make these sections complicated enough to be fun.

- The multitouch puzzles, rare but nothing more than gimmicky usage of hardware features.

- The gyro bonus levels. They are rather easy due to generous checkpoints but I find them super boring as well.

edit: I have no qualms with people enjoying the parts I find to be bad, just feel the need to post about it because the circle jerk of hype in this thread made me act like an idiot and buy it.

edit #2 Not sure why you bolded those thing since I obviously don't mind that those games were ports, and didn't write any of the unit 13 reviews just saying that I expected worse due to the reviews.

Autofokus

Based on videos floating in this thread, I blindly pre-ordered Liberation, Most Wanted & Zero Escape - which is quiet uncommon for me. Let's hope none of them is a stinker.

Carl

edit: I have no qualms with people enjoying the parts I find to be bad, just feel the need to post about it because the circle jerk of hype in this thread made me act like an idiot and buy it.

Lol, i don't think i've ever seen someone so negative

Kazerei

Banned
So has anyone seriously claimed the COD Black Ops Declassified OT? I have a fun idea for it, actually. I'll totally buy the game for the laughs.

darkwing

Not a big racing fan, NFS MW looks good but i'm thinking of doing this to get that $20 for spending $100 instead

Little king story (Vitabros has sold me on it)
Ragnarok Odyssey (I really want to go digital on most stuff to have it on my card)
mutant blobs on sale (just to make Carl happy)
PvsZ on sale
Unfinished Swan

Will pick up FF3 with $20 back

going to keep my LoTR Lego and AC:L preorders at newegg

where is LBP??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom