• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of Don't Use Imgur

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
ibotDRtqdLPUGV.png

Jesus H Christ it's the Hubble Deep Field photo superimposed on BF3.

Post processing hides shitty assets.

bingo. if we turned off the HBAO, and all Post Processing layered onto the framebuffer... we'd see the shitty assets for what they are.

In fact, at this stage in the PC generation, if i can SEE a polygon on someone's face, like in that closeup MOH:WF shot(look at his nose) , the game's assets can be labeled as shit. This is 2012, we have tessellation available for Christ sake.

Spazznid

bingo. if we turned off the HBAO, and all Post Processing layered onto the framebuffer... we'd see the shitty assets for what they are.

In fact, at this stage in the PC generation, if i can SEE a polygon on someone's face, like in that closeup MOH:WF shot(look at his nose) , the game's assets can be labeled as shit. This is 2012, we have tessellation available for Christ sake.

Lol, look at me! I have a DX11 capable device! Why you no make games for it!? ERVERONE HERS DX11!!.

BF3 without the filters looks pretty garbage in areas. Even the feet are super low poly. But you only notice when you try to.

Because some people can run it, doesn't mean you should spend so much time on it. Not when you could be tweaking gameplay, and optimizing the engine. There is art style and there is model/texture detail. Games like World of Warcraft, Dishonored, Bioshock, etc. have GREAT art direction, and because of that, they need to rely less on poly-counts, and flashy texture resolutions.

A wise man puts enough effort into what he does, not too much. Too much effort goes unnoticed by the majority, and in this instance, it is only really noticeable when you stop and try to lose the veil of immersion.

Sure, nobody would complain about amazing texture detail, and DX11 tesselation and what-not, but most people could just as easily do without those things in favor of other things.

That's my opinion, anyways.

Loginius

I had such a nice post about why we cant have very high end assets and how you acctually start with those when developing these days and then downgrade them until they can be placed it the game but then firefox died and now its all gone...

Have some Dark Souls instead:
i2VEub3BdCwFK.bmp

io6JaoY8UmwbU.bmp

(Is there any way to get better AA in this game than the SMAA that comes with the fix?)

I had such a nice post about why we cant have very high end assets and how you acctually start with those when developing these days and then downgrade them until they can be placed it the game but then firefox died and now its all gone...

Have some Dark Souls instead:

(Is there any way to get better AA in this game than the SMAA that comes with the fix?)

Just supersample the game by changing the native res to be higher then your monitor res

Lol, look at me! I have a DX11 capable device! Why you no make games for it!? ERVERONE HERS DX11!!.

BF3 without the filters looks pretty garbage in areas. Even the feet are super low poly. But you only notice when you try to.

Because some people can run it, doesn't mean you should spend so much time on it. Not when you could be tweaking gameplay, and optimizing the engine. There is art style and there is model/texture detail. Games like World of Warcraft, Dishonored, Bioshock, etc. have GREAT art direction, and because of that, they need to rely less on poly-counts, and flashy texture resolutions.

A wise man puts enough effort into what he does, not too much. Too much effort goes unnoticed by the majority, and in this instance, it is only really noticeable when you stop and try to lose the veil of immersion.

Sure, nobody would complain about amazing texture detail, and DX11 tesselation and what-not, but most people could just as easily do without those things in favor of other things.

That's my opinion, anyways.
WoW and Bioshock were in before the age of DX11 and tessellation being commonplace in the PC industry, buddy. They need to rely less on polygons because one is an MMO built on an engine that could and was desinged to run on all PCs including ancient Pentium III/IVs, and the other is nearly a 7 year-old game being the first in the series on unreal 2.5 w/Havok.

Also Dishonored's art style probably wouldn't have benefited from top-end tessellation seeing as the game was meant to look like a painting , if you round out all the polygons the characters and environments features could lose their unique look.

Also, regarding BF3, it doesn't use tessellation(if it doesn, it;'s not official documented and any info on it is rumors). Even though it was confirmed to be in the game before it's release, a member of the dev team even complained back when they were still releasing high-res close-up facial bull-shots of the game with Tessellation turned OFF. Regardless, BF3's look is 60% filters and 40% assets so it wouldn't even matter if they ever really upgraded the game to include the tessellation and the tessellated assets.

Loginius

Just supersample the game by changing the native res to be higher then your monitor res

You can force MSAA (I think only with a Nvidia card?) or supersample by setting your rendering resolution higher than your native one.

Thanks, I already supersample since Im playing on my 1080p TV and I cant go any further than I already am without messing up the blur resolution it the distance (the game renders that at a different resolution with the fix and it gets very ugly if you dont put it in the sweet spot for your general rez) while still holding 60fps.
I also have a radeon...

Guess this is the best I will get then.

iRW5FeCfyAU0X.bmp

i09vBECPdwA8H.bmp

Perhaps the wrong thread to ask this in, but has anyone managed to find any usable SGSSAA bits for Saint's Row 3? In-game MSAA just ain't cutting it nowadays :(

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
http://i.minus.com/icodgUwaEmGKx.png[/IMG
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ipOAWdP5bsi9C.png[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Is this the same game [B]Zyrusticae[/B] posts?
Jesus PC gaming is so good.....the game looks so different compared to Zys shots, im actually somewhat temped by these shots.

[quote="Spazznid, post: 43571612"]Lol, look at me! I have a DX11 capable device! Why you no make games for it!? [B]ERVERONE HERS DX11!![/B].
That's my opinion, anyways.[/QUOTE]

Tesselation isnt a DX11 feature....second the engine doesnt even support DX9 so there is no excuse to not use higher quality everythingness.
Thats my opinion, anyways.

[quote="Vitor711, post: 43533919"]Yeah, it's pretty rough going. I also never got a proper feel for the handling also, it's so different between the classes that I just didn't get comfortable switching constantly.
A damned shame publishers decided to be idiots and release this at the same time as Split/Second. They butchered each other's sales. I can't believe people thought they were different enough to attract different buyers...
Still bummed out that never got a sequel and never will. Split/Second was a gorgeous game too. Fantastic post-processing and generally a notch above Blur visually.[/QUOTE]

Yeah its was brutal.
At that launch of these games i could only afford one so i got Split/Second, which I absolutely loved....I only jumped on Blur now, I imagine Blur probably had a better MP component than Split/Seconds cuz i found Split/Seconds MP pretty bad.

Speaking of [B]Split/Second[/B]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iJtam0TYXnBkN.png

lbs3276wgu6AVC

I'm gonna say this, but why is it sam's fingers are injected into his victims throat when he's interrogating them. That shit always annoys me and breaks immersion like a kick in the nuts.

scitek

I'm gonna say this, but why is it sam's fingers are injected into his victims throat when he's interrogating them. That shit always annoys me and breaks immersion like a kick in the nuts.

You're really not supposed to click the right stick to get all close like that. It's not as noticeable farther away.

Saboteur: Conviction

conviction_game2012-17taa9.png

conviction_game2012-1lozh8.png

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Oh snap didn't know Deadlight was heading to pc, is it as bad as some people made it appear to be?

dEvAnGeL

Oh snap didn't know Deadlight was heading to pc, is it as bad as some people made it appear to be?
the game is not bad at all, problem is that the character never shuts up, always saying something, usually just dumb things, so its really annoying, i couldn't get myself to finish it on the 360, maybe something can be done on pc to shut him up? a mod or something?

teokrazia

The PC version is 30 FPS-capped, has not a robust AA built in and... in the leaderboards speaks about "Gamertag". I HATE ex-Live Arcade games that do that.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The PC version is 30 FPS-capped, has not a robust AA built in and... in the leaderboards speaks about "Gamertag". I HATE ex-Live Arcade games that do that.

C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\LOTDGame\Config

Change these:
bSmoothFrameRate=True
MinSmoothedFrameRate=20
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=30

SMAA is a decent fix for AA. MSAA is sadly broken.

Top Bottom