• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

nashb81

Neo Member
I wonder how they've handled the open-world aspect in races this time round. One of my biggest pet peeves with Paradise was having to constantly concentrate on the map while racing at breakneck speeds. One wrong turn and it was pretty much race over. I really hope that's not the case here.

I wonder how they've handled the open-world aspect in races this time round. One of my biggest pet peeves with Paradise was having to constantly concentrate on the map while racing at breakneck speeds. One wrong turn and it was pretty much race over. I really hope that's not the case here.

They've added giant checkpoint markers through each race and a green line on your map to show you one path to the finish line. I think that'll help a lot for those that didn't like how BOP handled it.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
is burnout paradise generally considered better than burnout takedown? I'm asking because there is demos up for both on x360, but I downloaded takedown to play a bit. I'd quite like to play burnout again and paradise is 10 bucks cheaper. Better?

VanWinkle

is burnout paradise generally considered better than burnout takedown? I'm asking because there is demos up for both on x360, but I downloaded takedown to play a bit. I'd quite like to play burnout again and paradise is 10 bucks cheaper. Better?

I like it much better, but it's pretty significantly different.

All the Burnout games are great in their own way. Kinda hard to say one is better.

DonMigs85

I kinda preferred the weightier, slidey handling of the original Most Wanted. Burnout Paradise could feel a bit stiff or jerky at times, especially at high speed.

The checkpoint and guideline? I haven't seen anyone ask about it. We'll probably find out over the weekend since i'm sure some mom and pop store will start selling in by then.

Yeah.

One of my favorite things about impromptu bullshit races in Paradise was tricking/slamming/shunting folks into going the not-quite-shortest-route and then having to bust some serious ass to catch up.

T'was baller as fuck and I can't imagine that sort of shit going down if we've got "GO HERE, STUPID" markers all over the place.

JimFear

Banned
i once saw some website saying that EA was looking into the cross-buy ps3/vita. Is there any official regarding this?

nashb81

Neo Member

I personally prefer Takedown to Paradise (of course Revenge still reigns supreme). Don't think the open world setting sits too well with the Burnout games.

Mairu

Is this worth paying $10 more on Origin for the preorder bonuses vs just getting on GMG for 20% off? Kind of confused about the pre order stuff

I just can't wait to explore I loved finding all the billboards, gates and jumps in BP.

Now you can go off and find all cars I'm half tempted to say screw racing to begin with and just collect everything!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wish they'd release details on the wiiU version. I'm not expecting it to be fantastic, but local multiplayer using the gamepad would be great (if unlikely considering the other versions don't seem to have local multiplayer)

demolitio

I hope Target's B2G1 includes PC games so I can get PC and Vita NFS and then AC:L for a good birthday. That would turn my shitty month/year/5 years around and my Vita will finally see some action again after taking a break.

I wasn't even going to pick this up as of last week, but more and more videos have me hyped since I loved Burnout Paradise and this looks absolutely stunning, but it was that damn .gif of the car jumping off a spiral ramp to land on a roof where a car was just sitting...So awesome.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Oh man that looks fantastic, I've been playing hot pursuit the last couple of days and its not a bad game, it actually looks pretty similar and running at 60fps on my gtx 670 looks amazing.

Just went and purchased it on greenmangaming for $40 with the 20% discount they have till tomorrow on all pc games

Even on a laptop with a gtx660m it should still perform better than console right? Don't really want to blind buy but that discount looks good. But then only one user save - or can the PC version let you sign into different autolog accounts?

Santar

Very dissapointing that the cinematic takedowns are gone now.
All you get when you take out another car now is that text that pops up on screen.
I really loved seeing those wonderfull crashes..

Sethos

Banned
All you get when you take out another car now is that text that pops up on screen.

I'm glad they are gone. So annoying and distracting to watch them in an intense race.

Maybe an option sure but I'd rather have them off.

I loved Burnout Paradise and this looks absolutely stunning, but it was that damn .gif of the car jumping off a spiral ramp to land on a roof where a car was just sitting...So awesome.

Yep memories from BP online challenges waiting in the top of a barn for the last couple of people to make it up only for them to get far to much speed and take someone out.

iNvid02

aww man, in hot pursuit they were like a lifeline.

execute a takedown at the right moment and the cut scene would play - while the game would drive your car for a bit, effectively taking you around corners, road blocks etc

one of the main reasons i got some insane times for some of the challenges was just taking out car after car.

actually came pretty close to winning ign's autolog challenge back in 2010, missed out on a home entertainment system lol

They were actually in earlier builds of the game, so it's possible that there's an option to turn them back on. But they had to at least make that an option. Many people were annoyed with it in BOP and HP. I can't count how many times in HP that I took a car down (either through ramming it or EMP/spikes) only to have the game resume with me inches away from riding a guard rail.

Here's what the game looked like when it was unveiled at E3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaGE_ExVdw0

Cinematic takedowns were still in at that point.

Santar

They were actually in earlier builds of the game, so it's possible that there's an option to turn them back on. But they had to at least make that an option. Many people were annoyed with it in BOP and HP. I can't count how many times in HP that I took a car down (either through ramming it or EMP/spikes) only to have the game resume with me inches away from riding a guard rail.

Here's what the game looked like when it was unveiled at E3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaGE_ExVdw0

Cinematic takedowns were still in at that point.

I did think I'd seen them in the game before.
Really hope there's an option to tuirn them on!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They claim that there aren't any damage restrictions due to have licensed cars, but there's a huge gap in terms of the damage model found in BOP and the model found in HP and MW.

yep. the dev said that the car companies were fine with damage as long as the car's frame wasn't affected.

That's a real shame. I used to enjoy those slo-mo replays of cars wrapping themselves around posts etc. in that PC video you get the same overhead slo-mo shot but nothing happens :/

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Just got the 360 copy. Traffic feels really bare and the aliasing is pretty bad. I also noticed the game is only 3.75GB after I installed it to the 360. Surely they could of fitted more stuff in with 3GB spare.

Just got the 360 copy. Traffic feels really bare and the aliasing is pretty bad. I also noticed the game is only 3.75GB after I installed it to the 360. Surely they could of fitted more stuff in with 3GB spare.

fuck.. i knew it. Damn it Criterion...

Any chance the ps3 version has less aliassing?

burgerdog

The disc size doesn't matter at all, they're not going to fill it up just for the sake of doing so.

edit

Pretty sure that the 360/ps3 version are going to be near identical, just like BP and HP.

1280x-1

1280x-1

Exact same aliasing problems.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I hope it isn't too compromised by chasing fancy deferred rendering engines etc. I still think BP on PS3 looks amazing

anddo0

Vita version now.. PC version down the line confirmed.

Would love to hear about the framerate if you're into to such things.

This really shouldn't be a surprise. PS3 version should be pretty much the same.

I hope it isn't too compromised by chasing fancy deferred rendering engines etc. I still think BP on PS3 looks amazing

I don't think they made the wrong call here. Hot Pursuit looked great. This looks even better.

Vita version now.. PC version down the line confirmed.

If you're concerned about aliasing or graphics on the consoles, the Vita version is not going to leave you that impressed. I've even been considering canceling my pre-order on Vita, after seeing footage of it. It's clearly not in the same league as even the console versions. But I'll probably get it anyway, seeing as it will still be an impressive effort on the Vita.

Top Bottom