• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Odyssey screens

NEWS from an insider which will being Gaf server to its knees

Apparently Sagakuchi is waiting for Epic to send software libraries of UE3 for Lost Odyssey and the game in its current form including the demo is only running on one core as a result. This is also the reason that most of the physics has not been implemented in the game. According to him the situation is similiar to 10Tacle studios who are developing Elveon as they are also running on just one core on the 360 and waiting for UE3 libraries so they can shift it to the other 2 cores and run physics

reference
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/731/731858p1.html

Elveon is running on the Unreal 3 engine and is no slouch, though we were promised the appearance of the game would improve. Currently the game is running on one core while they wait for new engine updates from Epic. New things that will be added are flowing hair, cloth that gets wet in the rain and acts like it, and additional lighting effects. We have a nice big batch of new movies in the gallery for you to see how the game is looking right now. Make sure you check them out.

same situation

This is how Elveon currently looks at 1 core

elveon-20060807100259795.jpg

duckroll

timthegame said:

Apparently Sagakuchi is waiting for Epic to send software libraries of UE3 for Lost Odyssey and the game in its current form including the demo is only running on one core as a result. This is also the reason that most of the physics has not been implemented in the game. According to him the situation is similiar to 10Tacle studios who are developing Elveon as they are also running on just one core on the 360 and waiting for UE3 libraries so they can shift it to the other 2 cores and run physics

No surprise. Doesn't sound very "insider" either since most of that information was in the Famitsu interview with Sakaguchi. He said the final game will be improved and have physics, and we're only see 80% of the final game graphically. So yeah. :p

Proelite

timthegame said:

reference
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/731/731858p1.html

same situation

This is how Elveon currently looks at 1 core

elveon-20060807100259795.jpg

Damn, Bruce Lee of a console indeed.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
momolicious said:
so Mistwalker is a exclusive company to xbox only?
h-103_44285_nin_ash1005c.jpg.jpg

Nope. ASH will come out between Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey for the DS. It's a damn shame we have to wait until likely 2008 to play this game though (in English that is).

duckroll

jj984jj said:
Nope. ASH will come out between Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey for the DS. It's a damn shame we have to wait until likely 2008 to play this game though (in English that is).

Well we don't know that. But ASH will definitely be coming out before Cry On.

WYWY said:
This is true and unfortunate. So far the demonstrated gameplay is very traditional. I suppose this can focus on narrative and atmosphere, driven by a traditional game system.

But a graphics complaint. BIG COMPLAINT.

During the early days of videogaming, when characters and monsters are represented by a countable number of pixels and the hardware wasn't so advanced, it was OK to have those pixels arranged in neat formations facing each other. It was OK for animated pixels to move up to an enemy, attack, then retreat back to its nice, neat space among its ranks.

To me, this is not OK anymore.

It was barely tolerable to watch highly-detailed character models do this nonsense LAST GEN. I'm not asking for much. After a combat turn - characters facing different directions, standing at different positions, etc. Happily several RPGs already did this last gen. I was hoping that all RPGs in the new gen will phase out the old way.

Unfortunately LO isn't doing it. To see in new-gen visuals, a beautifully-rendered protagonist battling a highly-detailed locomotive, running forward to hit, then lining up back into the original neat position, so helpfully and neatly in front of the gigantic locomotive's weapons - this just broke my tolerance ceiling and entered the realm of RETARDED. Maybe if the graphics is all cartoony or cute and such(like Blue Dragon), this is acceptable. But to see this done in a 'realistic graphics game' - please stop this nonsense.

What are you talking about? The entire gameplay of that "Whack a soldier" section was fending off the right soldiers as they advanced. Didn't you notice how if you were facing a dude as he charged you'd parry and take no damage but if he was behind you ya got hit?

duckroll

U K Narayan said:
Good god, this game has a LONG way to go.

We're talking about ASH for the DS, not Lost Odyssey. Lost Odyssey slated for 2007, with no definite date, but I'm sure its much further along than ASH. Having said that, ASH probably requires much less development time.

duckroll said:
We're talking about ASH for the DS, not Lost Odyssey. Lost Odyssey slated for 2007, with no definite date, but I'm sure its much further along than ASH. Having said that, ASH probably requires much less development time.
Oh, I didn't see that. :lol

I really hope that the final game's battle animations end up closer to the CG stuff that precedes it, in both quality and variation. One of the main issues I have with using pre-rendered work in games is that the animation almost never seems to be related in the final product, brutally breaking the illusion even more. At least, we know that they're working hard on keeping the visual fidelity as close as possible. I hate that usually jarring difference between real-time and video.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
My thoughts

some of the "story" stuff like the "hey our army has these goofball machines that kill people" "oh yeah?! well we have anti goofball machines that kill people! we win!" "OH YEAH? WELL WE HAVE HEALER MACHINES AND THIS BADASS DUDE SO THERE!"

That was kind of stupid.

The combat was really really dull compared to Blue dragon (which looked pretty ace aside from that horrible horrible song) but i assume the stuff like party mechanics and spells and shit just havent been implemented yet. I could give two shits about the cinema-esque bullshit in the game, nothing bothered me about any of the designs. The overworld in the end of igns video looked pretty butt though.

This is just impressions from a 10 minute video, ill get hands on this weekend and hopefully have my mind changed.

sp0rsk said:
some of the "story" stuff like the "hey our army has these goofball machines that kill people" "oh yeah?! well we have anti goofball machines that kill people! we win!" "OH YEAH? WELL WE HAVE HEALER MACHINES AND THIS BADASS DUDE SO THERE!"

That was kind of stupid.
Actually, I kinda liked how over the top and almost comical that was. At least it quickly presented the idea that there was a no end to the two sides' fighting...a ceaseless stalemate. That is, of course, until someone takes a Taco Bell Fire Sauce-overload dump on them all. :lol I enjoyed it.

MightyHedgehog said:
Actually, I kinda liked how over the top and almost comical that was. At least it quickly presented the idea that there was a no end to the two sides' fighting...a ceaseless stalemate. That is, of course, until someone takes a Taco Bell Fire Sauce-overload dump on them all. :lol I enjoyed it.
You know, I wonder if Kaim was even on the other side. Sure, he wasn't killing the soldiers from the other side, but I don't think there was much of an indication.

jarosh

i don't even know if the video is being discussed in this thread but jesus christ that was absolutely STUNNING visually. wow.

MightyHedgehog said:

It reminded me of a FFIX done right, ie without the FF.

Insertia said:
Looks pretty bland in motion, and the gameplay animation sucks. Is LO coming out in Japan this year?

lol what?

Anyway is anyone else hosting the gameplay vid? Blimblim isn't hosting it anymore and Gamevideos has probably taken theirs down as well.

NDA ninjas make me sad. :(

duckroll

But guys, he's right. The gameplay looks horribly dull. Come on. :p

Edit: And yes, the lack of animation and poor motion in combat adds to that.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This looks pretty damn hot! Selfish and RPG hateful as I am, it makes me wish it was an action game though. I think there's got to be someone who would agree that with an engine like this it's almost a shame looking at slow, turn based gameplay and limited, canned animations, after watching the crazy action packed intro.

BlizzyAzz

Marconelly said:
This looks pretty damn hot! Selfish and RPG hateful as I am, it makes me wish it was an action game though. I think there's got to be someone who would agree that with an engine like this it's almost a shame looking at slow, turn based gameplay and limited, canned animations, after watching the crazy action packed intro.

There is this small game called Gears of War...

looks very nice, the animation doesnt though, very poor in parts, the transition to gameplay is good looking but jarring because of the animation ie it looses alot of effect...Im sure it will improve by release though. Very evident this game uses UE3, the textures and atmosphere are right out of gears.

peace

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Does anyone know if MS is retaining the rights to the Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon franchises after they are released? I am wondering because we haven't heard any rumor after these two if MS is going to contract them to another game or not. If both of these games are incredible, would love to see sequels but if Mistwalker isn't on board, not sure how they would turn out.

I am definitely interested in everything Mistwalker is working on... here's to hoping for more more more from them in the near future.

Prine

Banned
Mistwalker are console exclusive to X360 (or so i've read)

If both games rock (and sell decent) im sure MS will contract them to do sequels. Whatever happens, expect more Mistwalker love in the fiture

p3tran

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
I see you are new here. You haven't seen those before have you? Welcome to GAF.

thanks for the welcome. I've seen clones of these people in other forums.
from what I read I suspect here are the original ones. jolly good fun, if you ask me :)

Top Bottom