• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

kylej

Banned
FEIx5.png

Day 1 playlists

Wouldn't be so scary if this wasn't 343 at the helm. I expect two updates over the next 12 months, one of which is to remove Slayer Pro.

Shadders

I think EDGE could have gone into more detail about the multiplayer (which seems to be their main criticism), they are right that it isn't like Halo 3, but they don't really pass judgement on it one way or the other.

Odd.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Beat Halo 3 again last night as a refresher. Going to finish up Cryptum and maybe play through ODST or Halo Wars. (All other Halos I have beat many many times)

So excited for this game. The reviews washed away my cautiousness like a monsoon. Bring on the 6th.

Woorloog

Banned
I'll repeat this question in case anyone here can answer it.

One question about multiplayer that is still unclear to me, do unlockable equipment have rank requirements or can i buy, say, the Lightrifle right away once i have enough Spartan Points for it?

Shadders

I'll repeat this question in case anyone here can answer it.

One question about multiplayer that is still unclear to me, do unlockable equipment have rank requirements or can i buy, say, the Lightrifle right away once i have enough Spartan Points for it?

Yes they do, you unlock the right to buy items at certain ranks, but get Spartan Points at every rank.

You'll be able to buy either the BR or DMR by your second match.

Omni

After reading some of the reviews... I have to say, it sounds like 343i did an awesome bloody job on the game. I'm soo hyped; It's like Halo 3 all over again (was hyped for that more than pretty much any other game, ever).

Blueblur1

The montage looked great (production values) but it didn't really do it for me. I find myself less and less excited as I see more of the multiplayer. I'm starting to think that Halo 4 might not just be my cup of tea.

Woorloog

Banned
Yes they do, you unlock the right to buy items at certain ranks, but get Spartan Points at every rank.

You'll be able to buy either the BR or DMR by your second match.

And here i was planning on saving for the Lightrifle and other stuff instead of buying anything else.
Well... BR it is then, i think. Or the Boltshot if it is low rank enough. Or some other Promethean weapon.

As i've noted elsewhere, a "buy your stuff" system works fine if there are no level requirements, otherwise it could unlock stuff for you automatically and nothing would change really.

Can someone post required ranks for stuff?

Shadders

And here i was planning on saving for the Lightrifle and other stuff instead of buying anything else.
Well... BR it is then, i think. Or the Boltshot if it is low rank enough. Or some other Promethean weapon.

As i've noted elsewhere, a "buy your stuff" system works fine if there are no level requirements, otherwise it could unlock stuff for you automatically and nothing would change really.

Can someone post required ranks for stuff?

I'm not at home or I would, but I'm pretty sure the Boltshot is quite high level.

Woorloog

Banned
I'm not at home or I would, but I'm pretty sure the Boltshot is quite high level.

And... What about the Suppressor? Now i'm desperate, by all reports the weapon is worthless (fix that shit 343i, no weapon i pay for should be worthless), the AR and Storm Rifle being considerably better.
I'd just love to use the Promethean weapons instead of the old stuff.

Too bad you can't get Specializations before rank 50, makes the extra XP perk pointless.

And... What about the Suppressor? Now i'm desperate, by all reports the weapon is worthless (fix that shit 343i, no weapon i pay for should be worthless), the AR and Storm Rifle being considerably better.
I'd just love to use the Promethean weapons instead of the old stuff.

Too bad you can't get Specializations before rank 50, makes the extra XP perk pointless.
It takes a long time to go through each specialization, so the extra XP one could be a godsend.

Woorloog

Banned
It takes a long time to go through each specialization, so the extra XP one could be a godsend.

Nope. I don't need the Specialization stuff, the only one i need is Wheelman and with LE i get access to them all right away so i'll get it relatively soon (and maybe the perk for rerolling ordnance). I'm not a driver so i don't have any hurry to get it though, i need it for my friend since guests share the host's unlocks.
I need the Lightrifle and Boltshot right away. Afterwards i can slowly level up, take my time.

The biggest complaint in all of the reviews seems to be that it's too much like past Halos

Which is strange because Halo fans seem to regard each game as totally different from the others. CE has a totally different feel from 2, 3 and Reach couldn't feel more different, etc.

So though the reviews tell me that 4 is a good game, they're not really valuable to me. I can't wait till more GAFers get the game!

Woorloog

Banned
The biggest complaint in all of the reviews seems to be that it's too much like past Halos

Which is strange because Halo fans seem to regard each game as totally different from the others. CE has a totally different feel from 2, 3 and Reach couldn't feel more different, etc.

So though the reviews tell me that 4 is a good game, they're not really valuable to me. I can't wait till more GAFers get the game!

Well, as a long-time Halo fan i can clearly see the differences beetween each game. My friend, who is not a fan but a casual player? "They're all the same (but Reach)".
You need to invest quite a lot of time to see the differences really, i doubt the reviewers do that.
And of course the differences are small, objectively speaking, depending on one's standards, they might not even be differences.

Halo 4 MLG settings:

Game Types

Team Slayer:

Abandon

Haven

Relay

Solace

Capture The Flag

Relay

Solace

Adrift

Infinity Slayer

Infinity Slayer Options

Betrayal Points = -10 Points

Suicide Bonus = -10 Points

Respawn Settings

Respawn Time = 5 Seconds

Suicide Penalty = None

Betrayal Penalty = None

Death Cam = Disabled

Ordnance

Infinity Settings

Minimum Timer = 120 Seconds

Maximum Timer = 120 Seconds

Capture The Flag

Score to Win = 5

Time Limit = 30 Minutes

Capture The Flag Options

Flag Return Time = (Adrift & Relay= 3 Seconds) & (Solace = Never)

Flag Reset Time = 15 Seconds

Flag at Home Requirement = (Adrift & Relay = Yes) & (Solace = No)

Overtime Length = 2 Minutes

Respawn Settings

Respawn Time = 10 Seconds

Suicide Penalty = None

Betrayal Penalty = None

Death Cam = Disabled

Ordnance

Infinity Settings

Minimum Timer = 120 Seconds

Maximum Timer = 120 Seconds

Personal Ordnance = Disabled

All Game Modes

General Settings

Friendly Fire = Enabled

Betrayal Booting = Disabled

Team Changing = Not Allowed

Map Loadouts = Disabled

Loadout Usage = Game Loadouts

Game Loadouts

Loadout Alpha

Primary Weapon = DMR

Secondary Weapon = Magnum

Armor Ability = Thruster Pack

Tactical Package = Resupply

Support Upgrade = Dexterity

Hide Loadout = Not Hidden

Loadout Beta

Primary Weapon = DMR

Secondary Weapon = Bolt Shot

Armor Ability = Jet Pack

Loadout Gamma

Primary Weapon = DMR

Armor Ability = Hologram

Loadout Delta

Primary Weapon = Battle Rifle

Secondary Weapon = Bolt Shot

Armor Ability = Thruster Pack

Loadout Epsilon

Primary Weapon = Battle Rifle

Armor Ability = Jet Pack

Traits

Base Player Traits

Equipment

Sensor Mode = Nothing

Movement

Player Speed = 110%

Appearance

Waypoint = Visible to Allies

Personal Ordnance

D-pad

Left-----------------------Middle--------------------Left

Plasma x2--------------------SAW-------------------Speedboost

Pulse x2---------------------Needler-----------------Overshield

Frag x2 ---------------------Beam Rifle--------------Damage boost

Energy Sword--------------Sniper Rifle

Gravity Hammer------------Rail Gun

Concussion Rifle-----------Sticky Detonator

Scattershot

Shotgun

http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/competitions/48#event_127_game-types-and-settings

Wouldn't have thought they'd go with so many power weapons in the personal ordnance drops.

Ein Bear

I've been avoiding media on this as hard as possible so I can go in fresh, but I gots to know: is the Arbiter in this?

Woorloog

Banned
I think that would qualify as spoilers.

Spoilers... damn, i was supposed to go dark on this day. Dammit.

EDIT KEEP THE FUCKING SPOILERS AWAY FROM THIS THREAD! There is a spoiler thread for those!
EDIT sorry, i just want to be 100% i don't get spoiled before Nov 6th. That's why i was supposed to go dark. Going now... need to figure out something to do.

Beckx

I think that would qualify as spoilers.

You're such a stickler.

----------

Disappointed it was only rated 9.8. Was hoping for 9.83 or maybe even 9.838.

In all seriousness, I did like the following bits from the reviews:

Ben Kuchera: "It just shows you big and cool things and lets you choose when to look and interact."

Jeff Gerstmann: "the developers have backed this story up with sharp, time-tested gameplay that gets enhanced in meaningful ways across all modes."

Top Bottom