• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First (US) Wii U Commercial

Who the fuck cares if it's 110% obvious to your average mom whether it's a new system or not, it's not like the average mom ever knew that anyway.

The little kid belonging to that mom needs to know and I certainly was aware when a new Nintendo system was shipping back in the days without an ad saying "Attention attention, New System!!!'.

That said, the ad was awful.

The concept of an advertisement is lost to you. It's not to educate the educated and sell to the sold. There are moms out there looking for gifts for their kids, who may not know jack squat about the Wii U, and are potential customers. Advertising.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Here's the problem. You see I live here in the US and let me tell you man. People dont seem to be checking for this thing. I'll give you 2 examples.

1. Last Thursday, Oct 25. I walk into Gamestop around 7:30pm. I look to my left and what do i see? Hot damn...its the Wii U on display in the very front of the store, clear as day mind you. One problem though, nobody even noticed it was a new console on display, therefore it sat there by its lonesome. That is before I got up on it and gave it whirl (I liked it by the way). The dude working there told me that I was only the 3rd person to even take notice. Wanna know why? The Wii U kiosk looks almost exactly like the Wii kiosk except for the controller. I even saw kids walk by it without giving it a second look. Remember that Wii stigma I was talking about? Case in point.

2. This past Tuesday Oct 30. I walk into Target, same deal though I'm willing to give this one a bit of a pass because it was not located in a prime spot. You had to go looking for it. But once again I found myself the only one on it while CHILDREN mind you, passed right by it and gravitated to the 360 and PS3 kiosks. Retail experience be damned, that is a problem if people dont even know you actually have a new game system on the market.

This here is caled anedoctoal evidence .Here is my own anecdotal evidence for you:

I saw two WiiU demo kiosks at Buckhead (Atlanta) last week, people were waiting in line to play it at the gamestop one. I kid you not. The GameStop worker couldn't shut up about how great it was. The Best Buy one had someone playing it everytime I walked by.

Conclusion: Anecdotal evidence doesn't mean shit.

Berg

so the less than average consumer might not understand it's a new console.
they go to the store and ask for the wiiU. They learn it's a new console. Buy it or not, they now know what it is, and have an interest .....or not.
whats the big deal?

Nintendo has successfully shown that it's something different from what they have. thus creating interest

Wiz

Always find it interesting how we the hardcore gamers, look at these adverts and expect anything besides what we've already seen/know. Our opinions dont really mean much, we are either sold or not on the console at this point. I'm more interested in the reaction if a person seeing the Wii U for the first time through this watching this ad.

sinseers

This here is caled anedoctoal evidence .Here is my own anecdotal evidence for you:

I saw two WiiU demo kiosks at Buckhead (Atlanta) last week, people were waiting in line to play it at the gamestop one. I kid you not. The GameStop worker couldn't shut up about how great it was. The Best Buy one had someone playing it everytime I walked by.

Conclusion: Anecdotal evidence doesn't mean shit.

It just might when you visit various locations and get the same result. I'll just leave it at that.

jcm

Is Gaf seriously still arguing about a COMMERCIAL?

Welcome to neogaf. This is a discussion forum, where we discuss things. You won't be interested in all of them. Feel free to ignore any discussions that you don't find interesting.

Blades64

Banned
Welcome to neogaf. This is a discussion forum, where we discuss things. You won't be interested in all of them. Feel free to ignore any discussions that you don't find interesting.

Thank you for the welcome. I understand. I can see room for healthy discussion on this topic and it certainly would be something that I would be interested in, however, in here it's mostly just hyperbole reactions. I'm not saying the commercial is good, I'm just saying it's not the-end-of-the-world-terrible like some in here are making it out to be. Also, I'm sure this isn't the only ad Nintendo has on its agenda. We shouldn't judge the entire marketing campaigne by this one commercial. Kinda like a "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water" thing. Doing the wait and see approach, hoping for improvement in the upcoming ads.

Bgamer90

Banned
Because it doesn't? This isn't even basic economics, it's just common sense. Let's say the commercial demonstrated perfectly that yes, the WiiU is a NEW SYSTEM and not just a controller add-on. What would that change in your example?

Um... people expecting to pay a similar price as consoles have been for the past 10 years (around $300)?

Why don't you get that?

There's virtually no discernible difference between that and a consumer who initially thinks it's a controller, but discovers at the store that it's actually a system. The key is that they A) don't know the price beforehand, and B) eventually decide it's too expensive. What they think they're going to the store to buy in the first place doesn't change a damn thing.

So an average consumer would feel that a controller for their 6 year old console will cost just as much as a completely new system?

Really? Why are you guys being so stubborn about this? I really don't get why it's hard to understand.

So maybe they're pumped, think they're gonna buy a relatively inexpensive Wii add-on, then get bummed out when they discover what it really is because it's too expensive. Sure! But that doesn't change the sales count for Nintendo, who would have never gotten that customer even if they were informed from the beginning (because it still would have been out of the consumer's budget). What the consumer is expecting to pay or purchase has no effect AT ALL on the actual price of the product, which in the end is all that matters.

Why are you saying that they never would have got a sale from that customer? That doesn't make sense.

If the same customer knew it was a system for the get-go he/she would save up money based on the average price new consoles have been for the past 10-12 years.

If a person sets money aside to get a "controller add-on" for their original wii, he/she will more than likely not have enough money set aside to get a Wii U console. Why? People are used to paying less for controllers than actual full, recently-released systems.

Tell me more on how you know what everyone thinks about when viewing the ad, Gaf member.

My posts were never about how everyone will view the ad. My posts were about how the ad may cause confusion in really easy ways.

The ad isn't the greatest, and it's quite general, but it's not the only one. I'm sure others will be more specific. This is the type of shit people lap up.

We'll see. IMO, the first ad should have been shown back in September or October. The Wii U comes out in a few weeks; they need more ads actually explaining what the Wii U is.

Skiesofwonder

I love how Bgamer90 acts like the average consumer never walks into a store, has access to the Internet, has Facebook/twitter, and basically leaves under a a rock.

Also, the Wii television ads started in November as well, you don't start airing televisions ads two months before actual release.

Bgamer90

Banned
We have already been over this. Kinect was advertised at $149.99, yet people went to buy it and found out they needed a 360 to even use it, which increases the price two-fold. Yet, people still bought it in droves, because a compelling product will sell, especially during the holidays.

FYI, all of the kinect ads clearly showed the Xbox 360 branding and had "for xbox 360" and/or a big Xbox 360 logo near the end.

There were people who thought the Kinect was a system itself but in many ways the Wii U ads could cause far more confusion.

Who the fuck cares if it's 110% obvious to your average mom whether it's a new system or not, it's not like the average mom ever knew that anyway.

heh, good thing you don't work in advertising.

"Who cares if people who are part of a target mainstream buying audience doesn't know what our product is with our ads?"

so the less than average consumer might not understand it's a new console.
they go to the store and ask for the wiiU. They learn it's a new console. Buy it or not, they now know what it is, and have an interest .....or not.
whats the big deal?

As stated previously, a controller add-on for a 6 year old console has less perceived value (in terms of price) than a brand spanking new console.

Skiesofwonder

FYI, all of the kinect ads clearly showed the Xbox 360 branding and had "for xbox 360" and/or a big Xbox 360 logo near the end.

There were people who thought the Kinect was a system itself but in many ways the Wii U ads could cause far more confusion.

heh, good thing you don't work in advertising.

"Who cares if people who are part of a target mainstream buying audience doesn't know what our product is with our ads?"

As stated previously, a controller add-on for a 6 year old console has less perceived value (in terms of price) than a brand spanking new console.

Your last point makes little sense when you just stated that many people thought Kinect was originally its own system. What happened there? People still bought it in droves even though it was $250 more then they expected and required a new console. And yes I've seen the Kinect advertisements, which just further proves to me that the average consumer will continue to be initially confused by television advertisements but that will not effect their purchase as long as they believe the product is a compelling purchase.

8jrGE.jpg

Bgamer90

Banned
I love how Bgamer90 acts like the average consumer never walks into a store, has access to the Internet, has Facebook/twitter, and basically leaves under a a rock.

I never said they didn't. However, you will be mistaken to think that many "average joes" actually read up on everything in tech/gaming via the internet.

The Wii U is a bit complicated to explain by itself. Therefore, if Nintendo said/felt, "who cares... the normal person will find out what it is via internet", that would be very risky/silly. If you are going to have that attitude, why waste the time/money making a TV ad in the first place?

Also, the Wii television ads started in November as well, you don't start airing televisions ads two months before actual release.

There are many examples that go against what you said.

Either way, the very first Wii U ad for the U.S. isn't the type of ad that should have been shown this late in my opinion. At this point, the ads should actually explain what the Wii U is.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
We don't really
Most are closer to 30 secs
This will probably only be played in full a handful of times.

We do. Spots come in 4 varieties.

:15, :30, :60, and longform 1:20.

:30 buys are more efficient so that's just what we mostly see.
You'll get :15 as pre-roll online and in some cases, longform video will act as content in some buys.

In this case, they probably have a longform version they'll cut depending on their media budget and partner they run with.

In short, we got it all baby. The more ways to reach buyers, the more advertisers will do. It's kind of crazy.

RagnarokX

Scene: Line outside an Apple Store.

Man: You waiting in line for an iPad mini?

Woman: No, I'm just saving a spot for my friends. I've got a WiiU.

::Camera zooms out to show a WiiU and 50in LED TV hooked up to a portable generator::

Skiesofwonder

I never said they didn't. However, you will be mistaken to think that many "average joes" actually read up on everything in tech/gaming via the internet.

The Wii U is a bit complicated to explain by itself. Therefore, if Nintendo said/felt, "who cares... the normal person will find out what it is via internet", that would be very risky/silly. If you are going to have that attitude, why waste the time/money making a TV ad in the first place?

Either way, the very first Wii U ad for the U.S. isn't the type of ad that should have been shown this late in my opinion. At this point, the ads should actually explain what the Wii U is.

The ad is meant to show off a compelling experience, not to explain a product to someone who isn't yet interested in it. Is that so hard to understand? Does Apple start explaining the product to you before gaining interest in the commercials? No. Did Nintendo do that with the Wii? No. What you want is an informercial-like presentation. Something not meant to grasp the attention of the consumer, but to explain something to someone who already has some type of interest in it. Nintendo plays these in Wal-Mart all the time, expect to see the same for WiiU (which already has a "about WiiU" section at the GameStop and Best Buy demo Kiosks). This is not fit for a teleivision commercial because you only have 30-60 seconds to garner attention for your product. Getting people interested in your product is the most important goal here.

And why should Nintendo abandon the model that made the Wii so successful, especially in a era where are attention is being fought and grabbed by then more sources then ever? Even Microsoft started their 50 million television advertisement campaign less then a month before launch. You don't try to grab the attention of a consumer months before release and therefore have them forget about said product, especially when you are aiming at the casual market.

Bgamer90

Banned
Your last point makes little sense when you just stated that many people thought Kinect was originally its own system. What happened there? People still bought it in droves even though it was $250 more then they expected and required a new console.

Heh, you are comparing two different examples so of course it doesn't make sense/fit.

The kinect was an add-on for a 6 year old console. People who saw it as that spent $150 for it if they already owned an Xbox 360.

People who thought kinect was a system by itself more than likely had a set price in mind that was similar to what the price of new consoles have been for the past 12 years (around $250-300). The Xbox 360 bundles that came with kinect weren't that much more in price than that range.

Also, if someone thought Kinect was a new system and saved ~$300 due to it, if the person then learns in a store that kinect is an add-on that works with the console that they already own and is actually $150 on its own, then they will definitely buy it since they originally thought it was much more in value.

I don't know of anyone who wanted to buy a product outright refusing to buy the product because the product is cheaper than what they originally thought it was.

"It's actually less in price?!?! I'm not buying it now!!!! (lol)"

And yes I've seen the Kinect advertisements, which just further proves to me that the average consumer will continue to be initially confused by television advertisements but that will not effect their purchase as long as they believe the product is a compelling purchase.

But (like I said), the Kinect ads were far less confusing in many ways in comparison to the Wii U & the ads for the Wii U.

If they feel that the Wii U is a compelling add-on for their old Wii console but then find out that it's much more in price since it's actually a new system, that may have an impact on whether or not they purchase it.

PhantomR

Banned
I agree with you on the second half, but buddy that ad WAS horrible....

No....it really wasn't.

Honestly, it really wasn't "horrible", "terrible", "a disaster", or any other absolutely extreme synonym that GAF uses to describe matters that really aren't that serious.

I promise you...it was actually a well done, polished commercial.

sinseers

The ad that Phazon posted is a perfect example of the type of ad the US version of the Wii U needs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbSC5e95k6w

After seeing this ad, I'm starting to think the problem isn't Nintendo's as a whole, but rather NOA alone. They look out of touch with an ad like theirs up against the one Phanzon posted.

Elesias

Neo Member
Nintendo France has also made available the french print commercials. It's also very "family" oriented, don't U think ?

Note : if you want a translation, feel free to ask.

0000348044.jpg

0000348045.jpg

0000348046.jpg

0000348047.jpg

0000348048.jpg

Obviously Nintendo of America doesn't assume their consumers are morons who will buy something after just seeing a single commercial without doing any research whatsoever. And without looking at the box of the thing they are buying.

I just don't see what the big deal is. People in the US know what a tablet PC is, and this commercial makes it very clear that the Wii U is a game system that uses a tablet along with the TV to play games that use both screens separately.

Bgamer90

Banned
The ad is meant to show off a compelling experience, not to explain a product to someone who isn't yet interested in it. Is that so hard to understand?

Heh, so it's impossible to do both in one commercial?

I'm sorry, I thought that was the whole point in making advertisements :|

Does Apple start explaining the product to you before gaining interest in the commercials? No. Did Nintendo do that with the Wii? No. What you want is an informercial-like presentation. Something not meant to grasp the attention of the consumer, but to explain something to someone who already has some type of interest in it.

Heh, no. I don't want informercial-like presentation. You don't need to go that it depth to explain what the Wii U is. Just say it's a new console, show the console, and then show the controller explaining/showing examples why the Wii U as a whole is completely new/different from the (original) Wii.

That shouldn't be a hard task to do in a one minute ad.

You mentioned Apple. Apple is one of the best companies when it comes to ads. Why? Their ads make their products look compelling/fresh/new while at the same time being very easy to understand since they always relate the new features of their products to how "average joes" will use them in real world situations.

Getting people interested in your product is the most important goal here, not describing an item to want the commercials to end and their schedule program to come back.

Heh, why are you acting like it would be hard to explain what the Wii U is in a one minute ad. You don't need 5, 10, 15 minutes doing so. My previous example showed that.

And why should Nintendo abandon the model that made the Wii so successful, especially in a era where are attention is being fought and grabbed by then more sources then ever?

Heh, maybe because the Wii back in 2006 was in a different position than the Wii U?

The Wii was completely different from anything else at the time and the ads showed perfectly and quickly that what you did with the Wiimote transferred over to the Wii game(s).

In terms of the Wii U, the explanation of what it does isn't as simple as the Wii. Heck, in many ways the name "Wii U" already causes a bit of confusion since it follows the line accessories for the original Wii. The advertisements need to be different.

You don't try to grab the attention of a consumer months before release and therefore have them forget about said product, especially when you are aiming at the casual market.

You say that like I'm saying they should air one commercial months before release and have no more commercials.

There's this thing companies do to build-up their products. It's called, having new ads air every so often up to release date.

Heh, why are you acting like it would be hard to explain what the Wii U is in a one minute ad. You don't need 5, 10, 15 minutes doing so. My previous example showed that.

And why are you acting like this commercial doesn't explain what the Wii U is? It shows people using a tablet to interact with a full console game on the TV. It shows the tablet used in a number of different ways. Do you think the commercial is somehow confusing?

Concept17

Obviously Nintendo of America doesn't assume their consumers are morons who will buy something after just seeing a single commercial without doing any research whatsoever. And without looking at the box of the thing they are buying.

I just don't see what the big deal is. People in the US know what a tablet PC is, and this commercial makes it very clear that the Wii U is a game system that uses a tablet along with the TV to play games that use both screens separately.

The commercial did nothing but show it as a controller. And you over-estimate the armies of moms who bought the Wii for their kids.

Also: that controller is massive.

sinseers

The ad is meant to show off a compelling experience, not to explain a product to someone who isn't yet interested in it. Is that so hard to understand? Does Apple start explaining the product to you before gaining interest in the commercials? No. Did Nintendo do that with the Wii? No. What you want is an informercial-like presentation. Something not meant to grasp the attention of the consumer, but to explain something to someone who already has some type of interest in it. Nintendo plays these in Wal-Mart all the time, expect to see the same for WiiU (which already has a "about WiiU" section at the GameStop and Best Buy demo Kiosks). This is not fit for a teleivision commercial because you only have 30-60 seconds to garner attention for your product. Getting people interested in your product is the most important goal here.

And why should Nintendo abandon the model that made the Wii so successful, especially in a era where are attention is being fought and grabbed by then more sources then ever? Even Microsoft started their 50 million television advertisement campaign less then a month before launch. You don't try to grab the attention of a consumer months before release and therefore have them forget about said product, especially when you are aiming at the casual market.

I get what you are saying, but when you have a Wii U ad like this:

There is no way you cant be intrigued by that commercial over the US one. It was all flash AND substance. Not to say that Wii U wont sell here in the US cuz it probably will initially in spite of that US ad. You act as if it is wrong to want an ad to be clear with its message. Imagine an automobile ad for Honda, but never discloses the fact while all the time concentrating on what these shiny new car keys can do. You would walk from that ad scratching the hell out of your head, not knowing whether Honda was showcasing a new set of keys that current Honda owners can take advantage of or whether they actually were advertising a new line. How the hell are you supposed to know if they dont show exactly what they are try to sell you on? There is a really good reason you don't see car commercials like the one I described just like there is a really good reason why Ninty's E3 conference didn't have that wow factor usually associated with a new console.

That's because it wasnt a focused effort on showing off the console (Which I suspect was on purpose, seeing how similar the Wii U looks to the Wii).

Bgamer90

Banned
The ad that Phazon posted is a perfect example of the type of ad the US version of the Wii U needs.

After seeing this ad, I'm starting to think the problem isn't Nintendo's as a whole, but rather NOA alone. They look out of touch with an ad like theirs up against the one Phanzon posted.

Man, that ad is a whole lot better just due to what was shown during the first 10 seconds. If they combined that graphic with the fun/excitement of the very first Wii U ad in the U.S., and did it all in one minute, that would be perfect.

Bgamer90

Banned
Obviously Nintendo of America doesn't assume their consumers are morons who will buy something after just seeing a single commercial without doing any research whatsoever.

Yes, explaining what a product is in a commercial = treating people like morons!!

lol

The commercial did nothing but show it as a controller. And you over-estimate the armies of moms who bought the Wii for their kids.

Also: that controller is massive.

The vast majority of gamers aren't kids, the average age is 37 years old. And no, I don't think even the stupidest moron would think a controller by itself would cost $300, and then buy it. And then complain when they open the package and discover a game console inside.

Bgamer90

Banned
And why are you acting like this commercial doesn't explain what the Wii U is? It shows people using a tablet to interact with a full console game on the TV. It shows the tablet used in a number of different ways.

But in terms of the full console though, will the average person actually know they are interacting with a whole new console after watching that ad? Or will they think they are just using a tablet controller for the original Wii based on the fact that its name is "Wii U" (following the line of previous names of original Wii accessories) combined with the fact that they hardly show off the new system by itself?

Do you think the commercial is somehow confusing?

If I didn't know what the Wii U was months before the commercial aired, I more than likely would think that the Wii U was just a tablet controller for the original Wii after seeing the commercial.

Skiesofwonder

Heh, you are comparing two different examples so of course it doesn't make sense/fit.

The kinect was an add-on for a 6 year old console. People who saw it as that spent $150 for it if they already owned an Xbox 360.

People who thought kinect was a system by itself more than likely had a set price in mind that was similar to what the price of new consoles have been for the past 12 years (around $250-300). The Xbox 360 bundles that came with kinect weren't that much more in price than that range.

Also, if someone thought Kinect was a new system and saved ~$300 due to it, if the person then learns in a store that kinect is an add-on that works with the console that they already own and is actually $150 on its own, then they will definitely buy it since they originally thought it was much more in value.

I don't know of anyone who wanted to buy a product outright refusing to buy the product because the product is cheaper than what they originally thought it was (lol).

But (like I said), the Kinect ads were far less confusing in many ways in comparison to the Wii U & the ads for the Wii U.

If they feel that the Wii U is a compelling add-on for their old Wii console but then find out that it's much more in price since it's actually a new system, that may have an impact on whether or not they purchase it.

People thought the Kinect was $149.99 because IT WAS ADVERTISED AS SUCH in print ads and websites. The television commercial itself show people jogging and kicking in place with "you are the controller" and for "Xbox 360". From my experience at retail, the problem was that the average consumer interested in Kinect didn't even know what the 360 was. So they see print ads and actual units on the shelves for $149.99, which lead to the vast majority expecting they could pick it up and play it for $149.99. Later, they found out you needed a 360 with Kinect, which would run you double that price. But, the majority still bought it, because they felt it was enough of a compelling product to still purchase.

And come on, nobody ever starts to save up for something without knowing the actual price. You really are making the average consumer sound much dumber then they actually are.

This is a four minute trailer. Somehow you expect any part of Nintendo to fully explain the WiiU as well as it is done here within a time frame if 30-60 seconds?

Bgamer90

Banned
And no, I don't think even the stupidest moron would think a controller by itself would cost $300, and then buy it. And then complain when they open the package and discover a game console inside.

No one is saying that.

What people are saying is that some may dismiss it since they feel it's an add-on for their old console that they hardly play.

That, or they may think that the Wii U is cheaper in price since they think that it's a controller rather than a whole new system.

Also, why do you guys keep saying "morons" and "stupid people"? It's easy to understand how someone could be confused by the ads. Just because they don't know everything about the latest news in tech/gaming doesn't make them "complete morons".

I really question how many of you actually spend time with and/or regularly talk with people who aren't into video games.

sinseers

People thought the Kinect was $149.99 because IT WAS ADVERTISED AS SUCH in print ads and websites. The television commercial itself show people jogging and kicking in place with "you are the controller" and for "Xbox 360". From my experience at retail, the problem was that the average consumer interested in Kinect didn't even know what the 360 was. So they see print ads and actual units on the shelves for $149.99, which lead to the vast majority expecting they could pick it up and play it for $149.99. Later, they found out you needed a 360 with Kinect, which would run you double that price. But, the majority still bought it, because they felt it was enough of a compelling product to still purchase.

And come on, nobody ever starts to save up for something without knowing the actual price. You really are making the average consumer sound much dumber then they actually are.

This is a four minute trailer. Somehow you expect any part of Nintendo to fully explain the WiiU as well as it is done here within a time frame if 30-60 seconds?

That is a four minute trailer from NINTENDO. Thats up to them to cram the most useful nuggets into 30-60 seconds. One thing is for damn sure though, you know EXACTLY what the Wii U is from that ad.

Bgamer90

Banned
People thought the Kinect was $149.99 because IT WAS ADVERTISED AS SUCH in print ads and websites. The television commercial itself show people jogging and kicking in place with "you are the controller" and for "Xbox 360".

Umm... yeah. That's exactly what I said in my previous post.

I don't know why you are using caps/bold letters.

So no one saves up for new iPhones and iPads before they are actually revealed? Even though many people who follow tech do it (along with "average joes")?

They are all as a whole "dumb" for doing it? Heh, ok.

So they couldn't show the graphic that was shown during the first 10 seconds of that ad and then combine it with video footage of people playing Wii U games all in 1 minute (or less)?

Top Bottom