• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 ships 9 million units

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Yeah GT5 has done pretty well. I think GT6 will be on PS4, not as a launch title though. I have faith the game will be vastly improved when it comes to UI and the single player experience, and it absolutely needs it. IIRC Kaz said something about being aware that the player needs to feel more connected and rewarded in the SP portion of GT6 so I think he gets it.

jett

D-Member
I know those are shipped numbers, but frankly the GT PSP numbers make me suspect the entire list. :p

I know those are shipped numbers, but frankly the GT PSP numbers make me suspect the entire list. :p

gran-turismo-psp-collectors-bundle-4.jpg

+

Europe.

GT PSP was also one of the featured free multigame deals for Go owners iirc, I expect a good number of the 3.8m were promotional downloads and bundles. It's certainly no where near a million going by NPD.

Polyphony Digital needs to hire a proper GAME designer, and side-grade Yamauchi into a technical director role.

Truer words have never been spoken. Even a community manager who doesn't need a translator.

I wonder how many of those 9 million ended up disappointed, like I was.

Shahed

I wouldn't be that surprised at the PSP numbers. I mean I don't really know that many peopke who have a PSP, but every single one has GT, me included

UK here

SkylineRKR

GT5, flagship franchise as it is, should've been great and consistent right away. Not after a year of updates. And still, the A-Spec will never become good... its so fucking bad.

I think the sales aren't great/could've been much better. Its heavily bundled and being re-released in other editions ever since. The initial numbers weren't that great, especially Japan and USA. I find it funny that Prologue apparently outsold the full game in Japan.

PD should change things around, their UI is laughable.

Raoh

GT 6 Prologue on PS3 and PS VITA (2013/2014):

Followed by GT6 on PS4 (2013/2014)

Am I the only one who wants them to make another motorcycle game? I hope they do!

Oh God Yes.. I ask for the same thing every change I get...

Tourist Trophy ran on a Modified Gran Turismo 4 engine

Sony could also push their.. (sigh) steering wheel attachment. Its perfect for riding since your not waving the bars like a light saber but rather turning and easing into corners, would be interesting using move to lean just enough to the left without scraping your knees on the road.

I know no one actually wants this thing but first thing I thought of was Tourist Trophy when I saw it.

This..
sony-ps-move-steering-wheel.jpg

for those that can't affort this...
ps2two-tourist.jpg

yamahamotorsportcontroller.jpg

article_post_width_open-uri20120222-27128-nb5go9

GT PSP was also one of the featured free multigame deals for Go owners iirc, I expect a good number of the 3.8m were promotional downloads and bundles. It's certainly no where near a million going by NPD.

Seeing as the US is the worst market for PSP games, I'm struggling to see why you would possibly use them as an indication of its sales.

saladine1

I like GT5. But I also think it's one of the most flawed games in the series. And it may be nitpicky, but I don't play the game anymore solely because of the engine sounds.

Competitors might not have surpassed them when it comes to the total package but they have when it comes to almost all individual aspects.

I will buy GT6 but please PD, step it up.

lol, I think you and I are the only two people who did this!

Am I the only one who wants them to make another motorcycle game? I hope they do!

God, I hope not!
Just concentrate on the cars Kaz. Don't listen to this guy.

I can't fucking wait to see what PD have up their sleeves for GT6. As much as I would love to see it as a launch title, I don't see it happening.

Sure GT has it's flaws, like any other game, but there's just something about it that makes the series special.
Kaz and early interviews used to talk about how GT had a certain '4d' feel about it. Don't know what that exactly means but i've never heard any other game being described like that..

I think the sales aren't great/could've been much better. Its heavily bundled and being re-released in other editions ever since.

Previous games were also bundled. The series just has long legs. GT4 was released in 2004 and didn't surpass GT1's sales until 2010.

GT5, flagship franchise as it is, should've been great and consistent right away. Not after a year of updates. And still, the A-Spec will never become good... its so fucking bad.

I think the sales aren't great/could've been much better. Its heavily bundled and being re-released in other editions ever since. The initial numbers weren't that great, especially Japan and USA. I find it funny that Prologue apparently outsold the full game in Japan.

PD should change things around, their UI is laughable.

Are you mad? 9 million sales isn't great? All the other games were bundled as well, the re-release only happened a few months ago, and the PS3 doesn't have the userbase the PS2 had.

Leave it to GAF to downplay 9 million sales...

pixelbox

Polyphony digital has just updated its numbers for the Gran Turismo franchise and the results are quite good.

Earlier the sales were are 7.3 million units and it looks like the game has sold 1.5 million more approximately, to hit 9 million units. It is still lower than the PS2 versions, mind.

Gran Turismo 3 remains the highest selling game, followed by Gran Turismo 4. The series’ influence in the United States has declined a lot and majority of sales have been from Europe, but still considering the PS3 install base, this is a massive achievement.

The game is the lowest scoring GT game too, averaging at 84 on Metacritic. Polyphony has hinted about Gran Turismo 6 previously and we are not sure whether it will be released for the PS3.

It sold 2 million in the US and 5.5 million in the EU. That’s quite a difference compared to Gran Turismo 3.

Here are the complete series stats:

FOoWC.jpg

click

PD

:)

Miles X

Very impressive, and I agree it could reach 4's sales by the very end of the gen. Shame Sony could only get one main GT game out in what was a very long generation though, money literally thorwn away :\

acm2000

solid numbers, but do remember this will include bundles (excluding US bundles, where NPD doesnt count them)

me personally, i just felt so disappointed and underwhelmed by gt5, got bored of it quick and sold it

Grim1ock

Banned
I havent touched my ps3 in ages and i had a hard day at work. But a couple of hours with GT5 and you remember why i keep playing video games.

I dont even race online anymore. Just the ring and that is enough. Whoever made the decision to have dynamic variable weather on the ring i salute you.

Well deserved sales!

gt5timesuwd.gif

I went to PD site and the old numbers were cached on my browser

Worldwide
Title Units (K)*
Gran Turismo 10,850
Gran Turismo 2 9,370
Gran Turismo 3 A-spec 14,890
Gran Turismo Concept Series 1,560
Gran Turismo 4 “Prologue” 1,400
Gran Turismo 4 11,440
Gran Turismo 5 “Prologue” 5,340
Gran Turismo PSP 3,610
Gran Turismo 5 7,430
Total 65,890

Japan
Title Units (K)* Release
Gran Turismo 2,550 1997/12/23
Gran Turismo 2 1,710 1999/12/11
Gran Turismo 3 A-spec 1,890 2001/04/28
Gran Turismo Concept 2001 TOKYO 430 2002/01/01
Gran Turismo 4 “Prologue” 790 2003/12/04
Gran Turismo 4 1,270 2004/12/28
Gran Turismo 5 “Prologue” 740 2007/12/13
Gran Turismo PSP 350 2009/10/01
Gran Turismo 5 640 2010/11/25
Total 10,370

North America
Title Units (K)* Release
Gran Turismo 3,990 1998/05/12
Gran Turismo 2 3,960 1999/12/23
Gran Turismo 3 7,140 2001/07/10
Gran Turismo 4 “Prologue” - Unreleased
Gran Turismo 4 3,230 2005/02/22
Gran Turismo 5 “Prologue” 1,340 2008/04/15
Gran Turismo PSP 960 2009/10/01
Gran Turismo 5 1,940 2010/11/24
Total 22,570

Europe
Title Units (K)* Release
Gran Turismo 4,300 1998/05/08
Gran Turismo 2 3,680 2000/01/28
Gran Turismo 3 5,850 2001/07/20
Gran Turismo Concept 2002 TOKYO-GENEVA 1,000 2002/07/17
Gran Turismo 4 “Prologue” 450 2004/05/26
Gran Turismo 4 6,760 2005/03/09
Gran Turismo 5 “Prologue” 3,140 2008/03/28
Gran Turismo PSP 2,250 2009/10/01
Gran Turismo 5 4,590 2010/11/24
Total 32,030

Asia
Title Units (K)* Release
Gran Turismo 10 1997/12/23
Gran Turismo 2 20 1999/12/11
Gran Turismo 3 10 2001/04/28
Gran Turismo Concept 2001 TOKYO 10 2002/01/01
Gran Turismo Concept 2002 TOKYO-GENEVA 120 2002/07/25
Gran Turismo 4 “Prologue” 160 2003/12/04
Gran Turismo 4 180 2004/12/28
Gran Turismo 5 “Prologue” 120 2008/02/15
Gran Turismo PSP 50 2009/10/01
Gran Turismo 5 260 2010/11/24
Total 920

*as of Dec 2011

amar212

God, I hope not!
Just concentrate on the cars Kaz. Don't listen to this guy..

Polyphony Digital's motorbike-lover Takamasa Shichisawa, who is normally working on the landscape design, and one of the guys from studio made first in-house demo for TT in their spare time with some basic help from Akihiko Tan and 3 more PD guys.

They literally made complete game before showing it to Kazunori who was so fascinated by the alteration that he made TT project being greenlighted at SCEI. Because of his work Takamasa Shichisawa was named as Director of the Tourist Trophy game and on the cover of the game it is him who is riding the CBR600 on the photo of the TT cover.

Akihiko Tan - director of the GT physics since the first game - was in charge of physics part, while Norio Takama - guy who was in charge of human animation for GT4 and some support programming - made all algorithms for driver body-behaviour and such.

In short, Tourist Trophy was *baby* of 6 people in PD who was working on it in their spare time with available assets and resources from GT4.

It would not be waste of resources by any mean if ever greenlighted, trust me on that one. Guys would produce it instead of sleeping, same they did with the first TT - which is still the best motorbike driving simulation ever created. I would gladly pay up to 50$ for a proper TT expansion for GT5 and wouldn't even think twice.

Great sales, and well deserved too given the amount of support this game has received wave after wave of great value DLC and major updates which in time have made this the best game in the series by far.

It's just a shame more games don't receive this support.

hwy_61

Banned
That's great! How does that stack up against Forza?

EDIT: Holy shit. Both Forza 3 AND 4 don't even come close.

Grim1ock

Banned
so if you combine polyphony' output this generation which they released GT5, prologue and GT psp they sold over 17 million units

Hindle

Banned
They need to speed up the time it takes to get these games out. Every 3 years instead of 6 and Sony would actually make money. I've long thought Evolution should be made the second studio and then alternate between them and PD.

They need to speed up the time it takes to get these games out. Every 3 years instead of 6 and Sony would actually make money. I've long thought Evolution should be made the second studio and then alternate between them and PD.

There's no way anyone other than Polyphony will be allowed to develop a console GT. The Vita version? I still think that's the way to go. But console GT's belong to Polyphony.

Top Bottom