• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 ships 9 million units

You two are going to love this (quote from Kaz in a GT Planet interview, but bear in mind it could just be mis-translated):

I'd be 10 times more excited for a new Tourist Trophy than a new GT game :p .
On the sound. GT games do sound realistic, they are an accurate portrayal of what a car would sound like listening to it on a TV

But it gives nothing of the feeling of being in a car

saladine1

You two are going to love this (quote from Kaz in a GT Planet interview, but bear in mind it could just be mis-translated):

-------------------------
Kaz, Kaz, Kaz.....you so funny.

The fact that Jordan asked a question like that shows there's something rotten in Denmark.

However, the most reassuring part in the response is that he knows it could do with some work and that they are willing to do that. This is pretty major because Kaz, to the best of my knowledge, hasn't acknowledged this before.
We'll have to wait and see if they can deliver..

I was using PD's own numbers.

I just speaking logically from my region, the US and how the game isn't big here at all. Again, look at this thread and the main OT for the game and you'll see mostly PAL posters when it comes to GT sales talk. This is a worldwide title and not just a PAL game so discussing its previous worldwide appeal and not just one region makes sense. We can talk about Singstar and Buzz after this if you like. I'm not discounting the sales in Europe at all, in fact I'm fascinated that the game has exploded there where it's declining in other regions which is very interesting to understand why. When I speak of the game it is mostly from a NA and JPN view as I feel much of the great hype of sales for this game get hidden behind the PAL version when it is on decline in the rest of the world.

That´s not what you said.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43982191&postcount=324
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43981441&postcount=317
How can the game´s appeal be declining if the game is still selling. Stop back paddling. It does not matter how much it sells in one region. It´s in line to sell with previous GT game. You are saying it´s declining. Numbers are not showing it.

Arucardo

Kaz, Kaz, Kaz.....you so funny.

The fact that Jordan asked a question like that shows there's something rotten in Denmark.

However, the most reassuring part in the response is that he knows it could do with some work and that they are willing to do that. This is pretty major because Kaz, to the best of my knowledge, hasn't acknowledged this before.
We'll have to wait and see if they can deliver..

I think that if he still feels the cars sound right or realistic they could give us an option in the audio settings to have "dramatic" or "realistic" sounds in the next GT, I'm sure they can fit that on a bluray.

Takao

Banned
There's a bunch of people trying to discredit these numbers for what reason exactly? Bundles? Every GT game has been bundled at one point or another. The fact that it's shipped rather than sold through? Numbers increase every time Polyphony updates their site, which implies retailers are ordering more copies, which implies consumers are buying more copies.

GT is SCE's biggest IP. They should get one done early within the PS4's life, and hopefully get one going on Vita soon.

PD says GT5 and GT5P sold the same in Japan. 740K for each. Presumably GT5 will pass it next quarter.

With the brand new numbers. Look at the previous numbers from PD. GT5P has been outselling GT5 until right now. Even now, selling the same amount of units in the mainline game as a demo can't be considered a good thing for the series.

How can the game´s appeal be declining if the game is still selling. Stop back paddling. It does not matter how much it sells in one region. It´s in line to sell with previous GT game. You are saying it´s declining. Numbers are not showing it.

It is still selling in Europe, in the US and JPN the numbers have been on the decline with each new mainline version. Just curious Phoenician_Viking... what region are you posting from?

Grim1ock

Banned
There's a bunch of people trying to discredit these numbers for what reason exactly? Bundles? Every GT game has been bundled at one point or another. The fact that it's shipped rather than sold through? Numbers increase every time Polyphony updates their site, which implies retailers are ordering more copies, which implies consumers are buying more copies.

GT is SCE's biggest IP. They should get one done early within the PS4's life, and hopefully get one going on Vita soon.

It's mostly jealousy tinged with a hint of bitterness. Remember if Gt was a failure no one would have the need to keep bashing it. Haters gonna hate and all that stuff....

As for the next generation playstation all sony has to do is get ken back and let him and the polyphony digital choose the system specs.

jcm

With the brand new numbers. Look at the previous numbers from PD. GT5P has been outselling GT5 until right now. Even now, selling the same amount of units in the mainline game as a demo can't be considered a good thing for the series.

Yes, i was using the numbers in the first post of this thread. Why would you use out of date numbers?

Spiegel

Reposting this because OldJadedGamer really must be too old and keeps forgetting things

It really didn't. GT5 Prologue Spec 3 was given away for free with the purchase of the new 80 GB PS3 in 2008

http://www.1up.com/news/japan-gran-turismo-5-prologue-bundled

Actual sales are more or less:

GT5P - 250k
GT5 - 600k

As you can see in this graph sales fell off a cliff after the promotion ended.
ZpXjr.png

If you bought a PS3 in Japan during these 3 months you would get GT5P Spec 3

The new package goes on sale October 30 in Japan at a price of 39,980 yen -- the same price the 40GB version is going for right now, meaning that Sony is essentially cutting the PS3's retail price over there.

The new bundle will also come with a free game included: the new "Spec III" version of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue,

It is still selling in Europe, in the US and JPN the numbers have been on the decline with each new mainline version. Just curious Phoenician_Viking... what region are you posting from?

Why does it matter if it´s declining in the US and Japan but sells around the same numbers. I am posting from Europe.

GT is becoming a game like Singstar where it bombs in one region, sells "ok" in another region and explodes in the third region.

Singstar is only released in 2 reasons, it sells ok in the US and does really well in the PAL reason. It can't bomb in Japan/Asia because it has never been released there.

In Japan it didn't. GT5P outsold GT5. Again, GT sales are very different in regards to what region you are talking about.

I was using PD's own numbers.

Then you should have seen that the numbers are identical and GT5P has not outsold GT5. If GT5 gets a Spec III release and gets the same treatment that GT5P Spec III got, then it will be a million seller in Japan.

I'd be 10 times more excited for a new Tourist Trophy than a new GT game :p .

If there is really a Spec III as has been hinted, I hope they include motorcycles. They could even sell TT DLC for $14.99 and people would eat that shit up.

Talk about stuffing words in other peoples' mouths.

yeah, because we certainly don't have people spinning these numbers. no one cares if it's bundled heavily, if it's selling more or less in region x or y, or whether they're measuring shipped or sold. all the numbers of that list are under the same conditions.
gran turismo 5 and 5 prologue sold 14million units. you can argue all you want on how the game is actually good or bad, but the fact is that gt 5 was/is most definitely a profitable game for sony, and the sales prove that, with 9million alone for the main game.

It's a PS3 exclusive so we need to discredit the numbers anyway we can. Same thing happened with Uncharted numbers.

sublimit

Banned
Congrats.Even if it was a little beneath GT's usual standards of quality,it's still my favourite racing sim.

I just speaking logically from my region, the US and how the game isn't big here at all. Again, look at this thread and the main OT for the game and you'll see mostly PAL posters when it comes to GT sales talk. This is a worldwide title and not just a PAL game so discussing its previous worldwide appeal and not just one region makes sense. We can talk about Singstar and Buzz after this if you like. I'm not discounting the sales in Europe at all, in fact I'm fascinated that the game has exploded there where it's declining in other regions which is very interesting to understand why. When I speak of the game it is mostly from a NA and JPN view as I feel much of the great hype of sales for this game get hidden behind the PAL version when it is on decline in the rest of the world.

These type of racers are in "decline" everywhere, Europe just likes them more. Just look at Forza, it still sells better in Europe despite the 360 huge lead in the US.

With the brand new numbers. Look at the previous numbers from PD. GT5P has been outselling GT5 until right now. Even now, selling the same amount of units in the mainline game as a demo can't be a good thing for the series.

Pretty sure the 9+5M are a very good thing for the series, no matter whatever way you try to spin it.

Polyphony Digital needs to hire a proper GAME designer, and side-grade Yamauchi into a technical director role.

Um... NO! If you want a more game-y experience please go to Forza or the countless other racers. GT needs to focus on realism and realistic as possible driving physics. If you're talking about the menus/UI, then yes I agree. But the core game itself... NO!

Am I the only one who wants them to make another motorcycle game? I hope they do!

Nope! I want a TT2! I love riding my motorcycle! Would definitely love to see 2 wheel physics of the GT universe in modern consoles.

Good. This game + Driving Force GT is one of the best experiences I've ever had in videogames.

DITTO! GT5 + DFGT is easily one of the best experiences in gaming I've ever had!

Corto

According to posters in this thread, bundled sales count.

Does anyone besides Sony has information about bundled numbers vs non bundled numbers? If not, that discussion will be fruitless, based only on personal guesstimations. If there is a good source for that ratio then it would be nice to do that comparison. What's funny is that this talk of bundled vs. non. bundled, shipped vs. sold through, PAL vs. USA/Japan or any variation, seems to be the knee jerk posts whenever Sony shows good numbers of a franchise. Granted that Sony showing good numbers it's becoming a rarity so those kind of posts are too. Lucky us!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What if GT6 goes 30fps to cram out even more detail on the cars <,<

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I can spin it another way!

GT5 is the worst selling main series GT.

It's also only been out for 2 years...

If the game sells another 1.5 million in it's life time, it would be third behind GT4 on all time. I think GT5 can beat out GT4 for 2nd when all is said and done.

Arklite

What if GT6 goes 30fps to cram out even more detail on the cars <,<

Won't happen. Even the overkill 4K resolution demo they did recently of GT5 ran at 60 fps. Their compromise has always been relatively static looking tracks to compensate for all the car detail.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Won't happen. Even the overkill 4K resolution demo they did recently of GT5 ran at 60 fps. Their compromise has always been relatively static looking tracks to compensate for all the car detail.
Sounds good :3!

Um... NO! If you want a more game-y experience please go to Forza or the countless other racers. GT needs to focus on realism and realistic as possible driving physics. If you're talking about the menus/UI, then yes I agree. But the core game itself... NO!

Where's the realism in GT?

The physics and handling are ok, no better or worse than Forza.

Races are equally simple and arcadey.

Does anyone besides Sony has information about bundled numbers vs non bundled numbers? If not, that discussion will be fruitless, based only on personal guesstimations. If there is a good source for that ratio then it would be nice to do that comparison. What's funny is that this talk of bundled vs. non. bundled, shipped vs. sold through, PAL vs. USA/Japan or any variation, seems to be the knee jerk posts whenever Sony shows good numbers of a franchise. Granted that Sony showing good numbers it's becoming a rarity so those kind of posts are too. Lucky us!

I was replying to someone discussing the bundled sales, not sure why you quoted me. The problem is that we have a majority of posters from one region posting about the sales of a title and treating the sales like they are the same in every region without looking at the worldwide picture. This thread proves the point from page 1.

I was replying to someone discussing the bundled sales, not sure why you quoted me. The problem is that we have a majority of posters from one region posting about the sales of a title and treating the sales like they are the same in every region without looking at the worldwide picture. This thread proves the point from page 1.

Who did this exactly?

GT/Forza/F1/hell I think even Dirt games sell less in the US then they do in Europe. This isn't news.

Where's the realism in GT?

The physics and handling are ok, no better or worse than Forza.

Races are equally simple and arcadey.

Organized online races is where it's at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU-RHxfunCw

prwxv3

The only thing they need to improve on is presentation. The driving mechanics are unmatched. And lol and people saying that GT4 bombed. Its just as bad as the accusations that console GOW sales are low.

Yoshichan

you cant be serious.....right?
Uh, what? It's not even that impossible to happen. Anything is possible with companies today, especially with next generation around the corner.

Grim1ock

Banned
Uh, what? It's not even that impossible to happen. Anything is possible with companies today, especially with next generation around the corner.

Ofourse nothing is impossible but as long as kaz is incharge of gran turismo it will always be 60fps

boingball

I guess GT6 is coming for the PS4. Hopefully they get it out not in Alpha stage as GT5 (I love that PD has upgraded GT5 with all those free Updates, but the review scores are still for the alpha release which I guess hurt sales).

I wonder whether they are working on GT Vita but not releasing any info because they learned from the PSP GT or whether they learned from PSP GT to not release a version for the Vita. (If Sony has not given up on the Vita they should push for a Vita version though).

I have to admit I have never bothered playing GT online, are there any rules or penalties in place or is it down to the host to make them up?

That's my problem with Forza, a reckless anything goes attitude doesn't feel like motorsport. It's Daytona USA with a decent driving model.

You can have collision penalties, off track penalties, disable collisions, no penalties, there's a bunch of host settings.

If you're doing an organized race chances are all those penalties will be disabled, cause we assume you know how to drive and aren't a dick, cause if you are, you won't race again with us lol

Top Bottom