• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Where do I go to see my order status? I go to google wallet, but it has no progress, it doesn't say four weeks or anything, just when I placed my order. I want to know if it has come down from the 4-5 weeks it was when i ordered it in november.

https://play.google.com/store/account

EDIT:Saw this link last page. posted it for this page. I'm under pre-ordered also.

aznpxdd

Put in my order couple weeks ago, good thing I'm in no hurry to get this (heading back to States in Feb to pick it up), or I would be pissed!

kitch9

Banned
Put in my order couple weeks ago, good thing I'm in no hurry to get this (heading back to States in Feb to pick it up), or I would be pissed!

How I see it stock issues happen, and can happen frequently with any major etailer. Pretty much every etailer I have used let you know of any problems and their on-line order tracking tells you exactly where abouts in the process your order is.

Google, the biggest information provider in the world, who have the ability to provide search results from the entire world wide web seem unable to even provide this basic service and have no problem keeping customers in the dark... The fact I have to obtain rumors and snippets of potential info about my order from randoms on the net in forums is just....... MIND BOGGLING!

Chairhome

I'm wondering if Gorilla Glass 2 being 20% thinner has anything to do with the sensitivity..

I'll be honest though, its a very light scratch and hard to see. The reason I got the scratch was because my phone fell in my car while I was driving, face down. And it slid around while I was making turns. I should be thankful that the light scratch was the only damage.

hitsugi

I'll be honest though, its a very light scratch and hard to see. The reason I got the scratch was because my phone fell in my car while I was driving, face down. And it slid around while I was making turns. I should be thankful that the light scratch was the only damage.

oh yeah, I can only see it if the light hits it the right way.. but still. 5 years of iPhones with no scratches, less than 1 month of N4 - 2 scratches. Not like I'm suddenly being careless with my phone

oh yeah, I can only see it if the light hits it the right way.. but still. 5 years of iPhones with no scratches, less than 1 month of N4 - 2 scratches. Not like I'm suddenly being careless with my phone

its supposed to be thinner but the same strength... dunno if there was any independent testing done though

Maybe ICS has more optimized battery life?

I'm not sure if that's the case, the Galaxy S3 got better results on their battery tests when it updated from ICS to JB.

Some people think the reason the Nexus 4 images have been pulled is to do some work on the hardware drivers. Some also claim that Qualcomms cpu governor is a little too aggressive and that is to blame for the battery life. But, all speculation at the moment.

SimleuqiR

I'm not sure if that's the case, the Galaxy S3 got better results on their battery tests when it updated from ICS to JB.

Some people think the reason the Nexus 4 images have been pulled is to do some work on the hardware drivers. Some also claim that Qualcomms cpu governor is a little too aggressive and that is to blame for the battery life. But, all speculation at the moment.

This phone should be doing way better in battery life. I really don't understand why it's about the same as my Gnex (on extended battery).

Just look at the iPhone! And that's an LTE device. WTF? Googy Please!

abunai

This phone should be doing way better in battery life. I really don't understand why it's about the same as my Gnex (on extended battery).

Just look at the iPhone! And that's an LTE device. WTF? Googy Please!

It's the governor. Custom unofficial kernels with different governors can almost double battery life. If the images really are pulled to change that, then battery life will probably improve a lot.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
It's the governor. Custom unofficial kernels with different governors can almost double battery life. If the images really are pulled to change that, then battery life will probably improve a lot.

Any chance that this could be fixed without custom roms? Has Google ever attempted such a thing for the GNex?

abunai

Any chance that this could be fixed without custom roms? Has Google ever attempted such a thing for the GNex?

You don't need to flash a whole custom rom, just a custom kernel. Still requires rooting et al though.

I've no idea what the situation is/was with the GNex, as I didn't have one, sorry. I don't remember reading anything about Google pulling the entire factory image, though.

So I decided today that this will be my next phone. I figured I could just waltz onto Google's site and order the 8 GB version, but that turned out to be a bust. lol.

So add me to the list of you guys waiting to buy the phone...

My plan is to buy the phone and switch to the t-mobile prepaid $2 a day plan. Since I rarely make calls and I mostly use my current phone on wi-fi anyway, it'll be perfect for me.

reKon

Banned
GSMArena have completed their battery test on the N4

http://blog.gsmarena.com/google-nex...test-see-if-its-better-than-the-galaxy-nexus/

I can't understand why it isn't on par with the Optimus G, I thought Google-Fu coding and stock Android would eek some extra juice out the battery.... It seems LG have the upper hand here though. :-

Fucking pathetic. I know running custom kernels and roms will improve things substantially but c'mon Google... This all you can give us from stock android? Step your damn game up

derder

So I decided today that this will be my next phone. I figured I could just waltz onto Google's site and order the 8 GB version, but that turned out to be a bust. lol.

My plan is to buy the phone and switch to the t-mobile prepaid $2 a day plan. Since I rarely make calls and I mostly use my current phone on wi-fi anyway, it'll be perfect for me.

Go on Craigslist, I've seen 2 that people are selling at cost or lower at this point.

mnannola

I think people are forgetting this is a $300 dollar phone. Price wise here is the competition:

T-mobile:
XDTvC.png

Straight Talk:
aiueS.png

Virgin Mobile:
KIyc0.png

To me there is no contest, Nexus wipes the floor with the competition in the same price range. I think there is room for a $500+ Nexus with 32 GB ram, better camera and battery, but that is not the target price of this phone.

Hopefully Google is able to update the phone to improve the battery life to be more in line with the Optimus G as it should be, but as it stands now it's still an incredible deal.

derder

Go on Craigslist, I've seen 2 that people are selling at cost or lower at this point.

derder

I think people are forgetting this is a $300 dollar phone. Price wise here is the competition:

To me there is no contest, Nexus wipes the floor with the competition in the same price range. I think there is room for a $500+ Nexus with 32 GB ram, better camera and battery, but that is not the target price of this phone.

Hopefully Google is able to update the phone to improve the battery life to be more in line with the Optimus G as it should be, but as it stands now it's still an incredible deal.

TBH, a used Gnex+extended battery is a better deal at $175

SimleuqiR

So my co-worker just got is bumper from Googy.

Can I just rant for a bit; why does the bumper make the phone slippery in your hands? The phone's rubberized sides are awesome. I always feel like I have a good grip on it. With the bumper? Not so much.

KarmaCow

Just been posted on another forum that google are now saying if your order has changed to pre-ordered its going to be at least 3 weeks....

Fucking astounding.

Hopefully that's more bullshit. Pretty much none of the second hand information has panned out.

Hieberrr

IF YOU GET A SCREEN PROTECTOR, MAKE SURE IT HAS CUTOUTS FOR THE SENSORS!. Mine didn't have them and the phone ended up being inaccessible during calls. I had to lift the protector up with a sewing need to cut a corner off. make sure you get one with the cutouts!

The_Joker

so one of my orders (the one with 4-5 weeks shipping) has just been shipped... the other one (1-2 weeks) changed back to preordered...funny

Hieberrr

Tried fixing my screen protector. Fucked up the whole thing (now I have air bubles and stupid bits of dust).

FUCK IT. I'm rocking it without the protector.

Would an app to turn the phone on with the proximity sensor hurt battery life? Is the proximity sensor active during deep sleep?

After a couple of weeks with the N4, I'm pretty happy. I love the phone and OS, my beefs are:

1) Battery life. Tough to make it a full day.
2) The 'glass' back. Mine's been getting scratches. So it makes the phone easier to break, but still scratches. Whatever it is, it's not as tough as the front. And it's not as tough as the glass back on the iPhone 4.
3) Too symmetrical feeling. Half of the time I have the phone upside down and I'm pushing a non-existent power button. Button could be more tactile, have it stick out a little more and give it a longer throw.

DXPett1

A fellow Aussie ordered through the US Play Store (via VPN and mail forwarding) last night and it has already been shipped...

*sigh* Going to have to borrow this from WrassleGAF;

jim-cornette-fuck-this-company.jpg

freshair

msm_hsic_host kernel wakelock is still causing problems keeping my phone awake and it's difficult to pin down what's causing it.

Chairhome

Would an app to turn the phone on with the proximity sensor hurt battery life? Is the proximity sensor active during deep sleep?

After a couple of weeks with the N4, I'm pretty happy. I love the phone and OS, my beefs are:

1) Battery life. Tough to make it a full day.
2) The 'glass' back. Mine's been getting scratches. So it makes the phone easier to break, but still scratches. Whatever it is, it's not as tough as the front. And it's not as tough as the glass back on the iPhone 4.
3) Too symmetrical feeling. Half of the time I have the phone upside down and I'm pushing a non-existent power button. Button could be more tactile, have it stick out a little more and give it a longer throw.

Damn, you're right. I just checked my phone and i have some scratches on there. Hmm, maybe I should get a full skin instead of the bumper.

Regarding the battery life:

1. Google removed the factory images of 4.2.1. Many believe this is due to the bugs in it (there is a deep sleep bug they've admitted to) and the fact Qualcomm believes their hardware drivers need to be updated (see below). This also implies that an update is coming soon.

2. XDA has discovered that Qualcomm locks the processor cores to 1ghz whenever you touch the screen and leaves it there for about 3 seconds before allowing it to throttle down to about 300mhz. This means that even when you're just scrolling or tapping or doing any other low-load tasks, the processor is still running at a higher clip. Worse yet, when you stop touching the screen, it takes a few seconds to throttle itself down. People have found that using a rooted device to cap the processor at 980mhz exponentially improves battery life, and the phone immediately throttles down once you stop touching the screen, instead of lingering there. Many have gone from 3hrs average screen time to 5hrs+ with heavy usage -- with just this one minor tweak.

3. Apparently, Qualcomm is aware of this throttling issue, and they plan to update their drivers to make them less aggressive.

4. Points 1 and 3 are speculation, so don't kill me if they don't pan out.

abunai

1. Google removed the factory images of 4.2.1. Many believe this is due to the bugs in it (there is a deep sleep bug they've admitted to) and the fact Qualcomm believes their hardware drivers need to be updated (see below). This also implies that an update is coming soon.

2. XDA has discovered that Qualcomm locks the processor cores to 1ghz whenever you touch the screen and leaves it there for about 3 seconds before allowing it to throttle down to about 300mhz. This means that even when you're just scrolling or tapping or doing any other low-load tasks, the processor is still running at a higher clip. Worse yet, when you stop touching the screen, it takes a few seconds to throttle itself down. People have found that using a rooted device to cap the processor at 980mhz exponentially improves battery life, and the phone immediately throttles down once you stop touching the screen, instead of lingering there. Many have gone from 3hrs average screen time to 5hrs+ with heavy usage -- with just this one minor tweak.

3. Apparently, Qualcomm is aware of this throttling issue, and they plan to update their drivers to make them less aggressive.

4. Points 1 and 3 are speculation, so don't kill me if they don't pan out.

I'd be willing to put money on them fixing the governors; I've posted enough in this thread about my improved battery life with custom governors and undervolting, while improving benchmark results. 4.2 is seriously the most inconsistent android launch yet.

freshair

Damn, you're right. I just checked my phone and i have some scratches on there. Hmm, maybe I should get a full skin instead of the bumper.

For me it's the opposite. Back is clean, front has light scratches (only noticeable at angles and in direct light)

Isn't this the effect of project butter?

WoodWERD

Follow-up: My 11/27 order (4-5 weeks) shipped this morning. UPS says it'll be here tomorrow by end of day. Sim card got here today...I'm ready!

Drpunch

Neo Member
My order (1-2 weeks, Canada), just shipped. Still annoyed that so many people just ordered one and got one, but at least it shipped before Monday.

Shagwell

I've been seeing this girl for a couple of weeks now and I've been over her place a few times over the past week and Google Now is completely convinced that I live there, no matter how many times I try to tell it otherwise. Pretty amusing.

Drpunch

Neo Member
West coast? East coast?

West coast, Alberta specifically. I order on the 3rd of December pretty much when it came out, but I here people who waited an hour or 2 also had theirs ship, but then again it is Google. Hopefully the orders start rolling out for everyone!

cube444

I've been seeing this girl for a couple of weeks now and I've been over her place a few times over the past week and Google Now is completely convinced that I live there, no matter how many times I try to tell it otherwise. Pretty amusing.

Google Now probably assumes that you live up to your username.

The bumper does make the phone more slippery in the hands. Goddamn. But it's nice and it needed to be on.

Just need a good screen/back glass protector solution I guess now.

Top Bottom