• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Blablurn

Introducing the new Nexus 4...

1bcc95.jpg

2sbfot.jpg

3qnegv.jpg

11z6q46.jpg

4a9dic.jpg

5b3fff.jpg

12kkp0d.jpg

Models ($ Price is the same: $299 for 8GB / $349 for 16GB)

67wdb2.jpg

REVIEWS (click on picture)

The Verge: "It's easily the best Android phone on the market, save for one small thing "

Engadget: "Sure, the Nexus 4 is not without its hiccups, but none of its predecessors have been perfect, either. And given the boost in real-world performance, the better camera and various other new features, it's even more tempting than all those previous devices whose shoes it's trying to fill. In a case like this... you have our permission not to resist."

Wired: "It’s as close to perfect as I’ve seen any Android smartphone get."

Where and when can i buy it?

The LG-made Nexus 4 will be available as an unlocked device in the Play Store beginning November 13, and it will come in two flavors: 8GB for $299 and 16GB for $349.

Stateside Nexus fans will have one other option: buy the 16GB model for $199 on T-Mobile with a two-year contract, starting November 14th. (It's also offered at the same price on the company's Value Plan.)

(Source: Engadget)

Spec Sheet

10fmp97.jpg

Hieberrr

Seems like it'll only be sold through Google Play here in Canada. Day 1.

I just hope there aren't any defects like with the initial shipment of N7s (like mine).

Cipherr

hzB02.jpg

No LTE, Glass Back, reports of mediocre battery life, T-Mobile only, release date 11 days away instead of "right now", 7.9 on the Verge, 16GB max, No Micro SD, no removable battery, no camera shutter button, no Sony Nexus? Thanks for nothing Froogle!

This might be my next upgrade from my aging Droid 2. Motorola/Verizon have been terrible about providing updates so I'd like to jump onto the Nexus line.

How big of a deal is the lack of LTE?

Vyer

hzB02.jpg

No LTE, Glass Back, reports of mediocre battery life, T-Mobile only, release date 11 days away instead of "right now", 7.9 on the Verge, 16GB max, No Micro SD, no removable battery, no camera shutter button, no Sony Nexus? Thanks for nothing Froogle!

You're not Faceless
he's right though

Once again, isn't Photosphere the exact same thing as PhotoSynth?

it appears so, though I thought I read you will be able to upload to google maps.

Photosynth was a well designed app but I could never get it to work real well.

Hieberrr

I want the 16GB vesion , but I am out willing shell out $435 after shipping and taxes. Fuck the noise! USB OTG here I come!

I hope to get this phone, just need to convince my parents to switch me from Verizon. What an upgrade it would by from my HTC Incredible.

Sober

Just got my GNex a few months ago, so this kinda sucks but I guess I'll stick with what I got for now.

tha_devil

Well previous lg phones were mostly bad due to bad firmware, that is at least no problem here. Also reviews indicates the phone is well made (Except it might break easy when falling), plus in EU you have 2 years warranty (most people get new phone after two years anyways).

Hate that dam bezel on the top and bottom especially with no capacative buttons. That is my only complaint really.

I am very happy with the pricing of this years nexus devices. Very aggressive.

jey_16

Banned
This phone is so cheap that I have to get one, should tide me over until my s2 contract finishes mid next year.

Also here in Australia, 16gb Nexus 4 for $399 or 16gb iPhone 5 for $799 :O

Crazyorloco

despite it's flaws, it has a lottttt of positives going for it...and the price is right. I love that it's cheaper than a lot of phones nowadays.

I still use the galaxy s2 (i bought my fiancee the s3) it's getting harder to wait for my upgrade...

Holy crap jey_16 , that's a huge price difference

Joshua Topolsky only gives the Nexus 4 a 7.9. Surprise, sur-fucking-prise.

That douche is single handedly turning The Verge from a reputable tech to a cringeworthy blind Apple worshipping circle jerk site mascerading as a tech news site.

Y U NO LIKE ANDROID, JOSHUA? NOT ENOUGH LINEN FOR YOU?

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE

That douche is single handedly turning The Verge from a reputable tech to a cringeworthy blind Apple worshipping circle jerk site mascerading as a tech news site.

Can we please not do this.

Why do so many people hate LG?

Mostly ignorance. LG are fine. I'll repost something I typed in another thread:

Me said:
This is a bit of a done-to-death myth to be honest. I spent a couple of years working for LG and in terms of hardware their phones are fine. In fact, I'd go so far to say that they were better built than the two Sony phones I've owned (including an Xperia).

What has let LG down historically is their software support. All the software on their phones is coded up by non-native English speakers in Korea who don't understand the cultural differences or the importance of frequent and regular bug fixes. I saw this in the featurephones, particularly as I was a tester for a couple of them, and bugs I filed got frequently disregarded and products went to market with the exact bugs I'd reported. This has carried over to an extent with their Android phones, but with Google having much more of a clear steer on the direction of the software in the Nexus 4, I expect nothing but good things from this phone.

You know who's currently making MUCH worse Android phones than LG? SONY, that's who. Problem is, Sony are currently Android FOTM for reasons that I can't fathom, so you won't hear any ill-informed anecdotal bullshit about build quality when it comes to the Xperia range.

f0rk

Torn between this and the Lumia 920. 4G means nothing in the UK as the price is extortionate. I think the price might swing it, £280 is a bargain off contract and opens the option to upgrade to the next Nexus phone in a year.

The biggest problem I have with it is only 16gb of memory and no SD card. My Nexus S is full of music so I could try and use the cloud stuff more I guess.

DieH@rd

Banned

He cant live without LTE.

falastini

??

hg0Wq.jpg

kharma45

Torn between this and the Lumia 920. 4G means nothing in the UK as the price is extortionate. I think the price might swing it, £280 is a bargain off contract and opens the option to upgrade to the next Nexus phone in a year.

The Lumia 920 contract prices are extortionate in the UK, fuck Nokia for not even bringing a SIM free version to market here. I was so ready to buy one until they gave total exclusivity to EE.

If it were me I'd go Nexus, 16GB seems a tad low but I'm sure I'll be able to manage. The only other phone that interests me is the HTC 8X and it's also 16GB but I've managed alright so far with my Optimus 7 for the most part with its 16GB memory.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

Are you serious? First, he gave it an 8.3, secondly, quit acting like one of the petulant children over on gaming side having a hissy fit and trying to smear the reviewer just because a game/phone/thing gets a slightly lower score. If you had actually read the review, you'd have seen that he said:

I don't feel any hesitation in saying that the pure Android 4.2 experience is — at least in my estimation — the most advanced mobile operating system on the market.

Is that biased?

Vyer

Seeing you in other threads is a little jarring because you act like a pretty cool, normal person.

I don't know why you have to go raging trolling fanboy mode in every tech thread.

Also I'm pretty sure if it had LTE Josh would be making love to the phone right now. Galaxy Nexus was his main phone this past year.

f0rk

The Lumia 920 contract prices are extortionate in the UK, fuck Nokia for not even bringing a SIM free version to market here. I was so ready to buy one until they gave total exclusivity to EE.

Phones4u had £460 (I think) for unlocked quoted in store with their display unit.

JordanKZ

Yeah, Josh clearly loves the Nexus series but he's the kind of person that can't live without LTE.

I don't even have 3G here, nevermind 4G. So I'll be upgrading from my GNex to this. Looking forward to the 13th.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
This phone will be mine come nov 13. I don't really give a damn about lte. The simple fact that its $350 for an unlocked phone, it's hard to resist. It will be my first pure android phone, so I'm double excited.

Are you serious? First, he gave it an 8.3, secondly, quit acting like one of the petulant children over on gaming side having a hissy fit and trying to smear the reviewer just because a game/phone/thing gets a slightly lower score. If you had actually read the review, you'd have seen that he said:

Seeing you in other threads is a little jarring because you act like a pretty cool, normal person.

I don't know why you have to go raging trolling fanboy mode in every tech thread.

Can we please not do this.

Come on guys. Did the "Y U NO" shtick not give it away?

smh

Top Bottom