• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 cutscenes? I'm going to sieze or puke.

Haunted

So overdone, I don't know what they were thinking.

It's like a kid seeing a cool effect for the first time and applying it to everything and anything all the time.

dab0ne

Played the game. Loved it. The action is done well enough that you can overlook the drawn out story and absolutely horrible semi-final boss.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So overdone, I don't know what they were thinking.

It's like a kid seeing a cool effect for the first time and applying it to everything and anything all the time.

i.e. Every Instagram user ever.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
DID YOU KNOW MAX IS NOW AN ALCOHOLIC? I BET YOU DIDN'T, HUH? WELL GUESS WHAT? MAX IS AN ALCOHOLIC.

ALSO MAX LIKES TO DRINK ALCOHOL.

AND PILLS. THOUSANDS OF THEM! AND WHEN HE'S DRUNK WE HAVE THIS SHITTY NEON FLICKERING EFFECT TO SHOW HE'S GETTING WASTED! BET YOU LIKE THAT, HUH, MAXY BOY?

(Also the writing is shit. It doesn't reach the "All the angels in heaven were taking a piss at the same time" level that Max Payne 1-2 had for Max's verboseness)

Gameplay seems fine, but that isn't really hard to fuck up. The story is where they fucked up (along with Max's redesign), and why I can't really consider Pax Mayne 3 a proper Max Payne.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I loved the cutscenes. Captured the vibe of the game perfectly.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Get ready to not open doors yourself but watch Max do it for you.

I found this to be the game's biggest fault -- the cutscenes, in their overabundance, encroach on events that really don't call for them.

Nome

That's the point though. Having a drink is always on his mind.

You are Max in that game, therefore, it's always on your mind.

I can see how it irritated you, but it was a sound narrative decision.
I don't know how flashing colors is supposed to make you feel like Max wants a drink. It's not like they went away when Max was drunk or drugged off his mind. They were just a pure annoyance. The inability to turn them off was a giant fuck you to the part of their playerbase that didn't want their games to look like puke.

My issue with it isn't that it exists. Clearly some people like it, love it even. My issue is that there's zero chance Rockstar didn't know that people would either hate it or have medical issues with it (me included). But someone there said no--don't give players the option to turn the filter off--this is Max Payne. And that pisses me off.

Sec0nd

Got the game for Christmas and I love it to bits, even the cutscenes. I had to get used to the weird effect in the cutscenes though, but later I embraced it because it captures Max' drunk and high on painkiller mind perfectly.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Could a kind gentlemen post a link to one of these cutscenes?
Really curious about 'em now.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Captured the vibe of the game perfectly.

Yeah if I ever needed to know what it feels to mix 24 different prescription pills with 20 gallons of Jack Daniel's, Max Payne 3 gives me that vibe.

Sethos

Banned
There's a rumour circulating the internet that the game is actually playable at times.

I completed it once and have yet been able to confirm.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah if I ever needed to know what it feels to mix 24 different prescription pills with 20 gallons of Jack Daniel's, Max Payne 3 gives me that vibe.

It does though. It's just a stream of Max's blurry consciousness throughout the whole game.

REV 09

Most of the cutscenes are skip able. At least on pc. They seem to use the scenes for loading so maybe the console can't load fast enough to skip the cutscenes.

hamchan

Finished the game once and loved it overall, both the gameplay and the cutscenes. Replaying it now on hard and can't skip most of the cutscenes until they're halfway done because they are used for loading (on PC too). Now I just browse GAF on my phone while it loads since I still want to play some of the best shooting of this gen.

Stitch

Gold Member
I enjoyed how the cut scenes would frequently throw me into a fight holding the weakest gun

Yeah, it was nice how the game switched to the pistol after most cutscenes, right? Such a good design choice...

Most of the cutscenes are skip able. At least on pc. They seem to use the scenes for loading so maybe the console can't load fast enough to skip the cutscenes.

No they're not and the game isn't even loading. The harddrive is doing absolutely nothing during the cutscenes.

REV 09

Have you ever actually tried it? If yes, have you tried it enough to confidently say that applies to "most cutscenes"?
I played two days ago and could skip every cutscene in mission 1 except for one in the middle where it said "still loading"....Max was falling into the pool. In mission 2 the only one that I couldn't skip was when Max was jumping to the scaffolding. I was playing Score Attack and New York Minute. I think you can also skip them in the main game, but I never did during my first play through.

Derrick01

Banned
Definitely one of the worst games to come out last year thanks to all of the cutscenes and constantly irritating blur that served no purpose. I'm still pretty sure I watched more of the game than I played since it was so short.

OP heres a drinking game for you. Take a shot everytime you see a cutscene in Max Payne 3.

Shots of water maybe. He'd be dead by the halfway point of the game otherwise.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I played two days ago and could skip every cutscene in mission 1 except for one in the middle where it said "still loading"....Max was falling into the pool. In mission 2 the only one that I couldn't skip was when Max was jumping to the scaffolding. I was playing Score Attack and New York Minute. I think you can also skip them in the main game, but I never did during my first play through.

I could only skip very short "semi-cutscenes" like Max opening a door. The "story" cutscenes I couldn't skip for the life of me.

Bullet time+free aim+head shots=dead enemies.

I played through first time on hard, the gun play was perfect, head shots work especially well if you have good control while in slow mo.

I think alot of people complaining about bullet sponges never played with free aim.
There's lock on in this game? Im playing on PC and its free aim by default. They're still bullet sponges.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I could only skip very short "semi-cutscenes" like Max opening a door. The "story" cutscenes I couldn't skip for the life of me.
That's the experience I had and that's what was reported in the OT when I read it. (Close to launch for PC.)

There's lock on in this game? Im playing on PC and its free aim by default. They're still bullet sponges.

Headshots works fine for most enemies. There are some (but not the majority) enemies in the latter part of the game that wear helmets that require a few shots before they're killed. Then there are also a few boss type enemies that are indeed bullet sponges, but still the vast majority of enemies in the game will go down with one head shot.

BrettHD

Banned
Seriously, I"m only through chapter 1 and if the screen is going to blur and have all sorts of effects during ever scene,I won't be able to play this game.

This is probably the most overrated game that I played in 2012 - played for 2 hours and it hasnt entered my 360 since.

Dibbz

Yes they are. There is a big green button in the bottom corner that says "skip".

If you can call waiting for the game to load skipping a cutscene.

I think it's Chapter 3 that I tried to go back and play (the one with old school max in NY) and the first cutscene of that chapter is like 10 minutes and you cannot skip because the game takes like 10 minutes to load. Some fucking skip function they got there.

Yeah Rockstar went too far on this one. Also the fact that you can't skip cutscenes means I'll never play it again. Good job guys.

Headshots works fine for most enemies. There are some (but not the majority) enemies in the latter part of the game that wear helmets that require a few shots before they're killed. Then there are also a few boss type enemies that are indeed bullet sponges, but still the vast majority of enemies in the game will go down with one head shot.

Yeah, I don't quite get the bullet sponge complaints. Pretty much every single enemy goes down in one shot when you get a headshot. Guys in the military or tactical gear might take more hits but thats to be expected. Its not a Far Cry 2 scenario where you can unload multiple rounds into a guy in a t-shirt and he keeps coming at you like nothing is happening. THAT is a bullet sponge game. Maybe its more of a problem using a controller since I'm just playing on PC with mouse and keyboard with free aim, which feels fine.

I only got Max Payne 3 recently, but its by far and away the most reactive shooter I've played in quite some time. So even if some guys take more than a couple shots to take down, they react amazingly to every shot- they clutch their leg or arm, go down and slowly come to their feet. That part is great.

I've not finished the game yet, but the gameplay and shooting feels exceptional. The story and cutscenes are "meh" but the gunplay is great, I just wish they encouraged bullet time more.

This game really just needs Dead Man Walking mode from Max Payne 2- all gunplay, no story.

Top Bottom