• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 1, 2013 - Prepare the Vita Chamber! Patient Wii U on Route!

Striek

Germany Week 1 2013

Top 10

Call of Duty: Black Ops II - PS3
Fifa 13 - PS3
Just Dance 4 - Wii
Far Cry 3 - Limited Edition - PS3
Assassins Creed 3 - PS3
Need for Speed: Most Wanted - PS3
Call Of Duty: Black Ops II - Xbox 360
New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 3DS
Hitman: Absolution - PS3
Call Of Duty: Black Ops II - PC

NSMB Wii U #24
...Sports Champions #20?

What? Anyway Wii U seems to have "bounced back" from the horrendous start there. Not that it's doing good mind you, but the software positions from the first couple of weeks were pretty bad. Of course it could be doing the same, but just with lower everything else.

NSMBU in Germany:
9->22->31->?->18->24

What was week 51?

I wouldn't be surprised if the higher chart position in week 52 was just a result of everything else dropping more.

Yeah id assume it's a case of the christmas rush dying down.

A couple more weeks and things should set into their regular positions. I guess that would be slightly positive for WiiU that even though it wasn't a hot ticket for the holidays it's normal rate might not be as far under the other systems as the holiday period would suggest.

Sweden:
1) FIFA 13 (PS3)
2) Halo 4 (X360)
3) FIFA 13 (X360)
4) COD: Black Ops 2 (PS3)
5) Gran Turismo 5 - Academy Edition (PS3)
6) Far Cry 3 (X360)
7) Far Cry 3 (PS3)
8) COD: Black Ops 2 (X360)
9) Assassin's Creed 3 (X360)
10) WoW Game Card 60 Days (Card)
11) Assassin's Creed 3 (PS3)
12) NHL 13 (PS3)
13) Need for Speed: Most Wanted 2 (PS3)
14) The Sims 3: Seasons (PC)
15) Just Dance 4 (Wii)
16) Sony Online: Gametime Card (Card)
17) Far Cry 3 (PC)
18) NHL 13 (X360)
19) Skylanders Giants - Starter Pack (Wii)
20) WoW: Mists of Pandaria (PC)

Norway:
1) COD: Black Ops 2 (PS3)
2) Far Cry 3 (PS3)
3) FIFA 13 (PS3)
4) PlayStation Network Voucher 200 NOK (Card)
5) Live Card NOK 400 (Card)
6) Need for Speed: Most Wanted 2 (PS3)
7) Far Cry 3 (X360)
8) Halo 4 (X360)
9) FIFA 13 (X360)
10) New Super Mario Bros 2 (3DS)
11) Assassin's Creed 3 (PS3)
12) COD: Black Ops 2 (PS3)
13) COD: Black Ops 2 (X360)
14) COD: Black Ops 2 (X360)
15) Gran Turismo 5 - Academy Edition (PS3)
16) The Sims 3: Seasons (PC)
17) Skylanders Giants - Starter Pack (Wii)
18) Just Dance 4 (Wii)
19) Skylanders Giants - Starter Pack (PS3)
20) Lego Lord of the Rings (PS3)

Finland:
1) COD: Black Ops 2 (PS3)
2) PlayStation Network Card 20 Eur (Card)
3) NHL 13 (PS3)
4) Singstar Suomihuiput (PS3)
5) FIFA 13 (PS3)
6) Need for Speed: Most Wanted 2 (PS3)
7) Gran Turismo 5 - Academy Edition (PS3)
8) Sports Champions 2 (PS3)
9) Far Cry 3 (PS3)
10) The Sims 3: Supernatural (PC)
11) Battlefield 3 (PS3)
12) WoW Game Card 60 Days (Card)
13) Ratchet & Clank QForce (PS3)
14) Far Cry 3 (X360)
15) Halo 4 (X360)
16) Assassin's Creed 3 (PS3)
17) The Sims 3: Seasons (PC)
18) NHL 13 (X360)
19) GTA IV (PS3)
20) PlayStation Network Card 50 Eur (Card)

Denmark:
1) FIFA 13 (PS3)
2) Far Cry 3 (PS3)
3) COD: Black Ops 2 (PS3)
4) Skylanders Giants - Starter Pack (Wii)
5) Need for Speed: Most Wanted 2 (PS3)
6) Just Dance 4 (Wii)
7) Assassin's Creed 3 (PS3)
8) Hitman Absolution (PS3)
9) WoW Game Card 60 Days (Card)
10) Far Cry 3 (PC)
11) COD: Black Ops 2 - Nuketown 2025 (X360)
12) Far Cry 3 (X360)
13) Skylanders Giants - Starter Pack (PS3)
14) COD: Black Ops 2 (PS3)
15) Gran Turismo 5 - Academy Edition (PS3)
16) The Sims 3: Årstider - Limited Edition (PC)
17) FIFA 13 (X360)
18) PlayStation Network Card 200 KR (Card)
19) Football Manager 2013 (PC)
20) COD: Black Ops 2 (X360)

http://www.gfkhitlist.com/game.aspx

Holy shit @ bolded.

Striek

NSMBU in Germany:
9->22->31->26->18->24
Fixed.

GT was reduced to just over 5£ free shipping at a major retailer in Norway.
....damn.

I would definitely jump in at that price.

Why PD hasn't churned out a GT6 at this point is ridiculous. They've literally left hundreds of millions of dollars on the table this generation. If I were Sony I would clean house, starting with Yamauchi. No matter how good the product, management is fucked up.

QaaQer

Fixed.

....damn.

I would definitely jump in at that price.

Why PD hasn't churned out a GT6 at this point is ridiculous. They've literally left hundreds of millions of dollars on the table this generation. If I were Sony I would clean house, starting with Yamauchi. No matter how good the product, management is fucked up.

gt6 will be ps4 launch title I'm guessing, and it will kill.

CrunchyB

It's January now and I still haven't seen any WiiU advertisements in the Netherlands.

Not on websites, not on TV, not on billboards. I'm sure they are out there, somewhere, but I haven't seen any of them. As far as I can tell, nobody seems interested in the system. Hell, hardly anyone knows what a WiiU is.

I think a ZombiU push could have worked. It's a decent game and a great WiiU showcase. But instead they did...nothing.

It should still be fixable, but the WiiU needs unique games and a half decent ad campaign. It's not going to bounce back by magic.

I really wonder what Nintendo is thinking right now. As it is, they would have been better off delaying the European launch, old-school style.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
LOL

New Scandinavian charts.. those previous was week 52, these are week 1.

Sweden:
1) FIFA 13 (PS3)
2) FIFA 13 (X360)

Finland:

5) FIFA 13 (PS3)

Denmark:
1) FIFA 13 (PS3)
18) FIFA 13 (X360)

http://www.gfkhitlist.com/game.aspx

again,holy complete genre domination.

seriously why is no one else making football games to get some money from this market? PES was the game that destroyed the other football games and everyone thought it was unstoppable but it got killed easily this gen, so it mean anyone can beat the current king(FIFA) if they tried hard enough.

Striek

gt6 will be ps4 launch title I'm guessing, and it will kill.
I think a more competent team could've gotten out a GT5 in 2008 (at the latest) GT6 in 2010 and launch a GT7 for PS4 in 2014. Easily.

Look no further than Forza. Its had 3 mainline iterations and its rumored the next will be at, or close to, the next Xbox launch.

People don't expect a massive overhaul with their racers, only something akin to slightly more than a yearly sports franchise refresh.
seriously why is no one else making football games to get some money from this market? PES was the game that destroyed the other football games and everyone thought it was unstoppable but it got killed easily this gen, so it mean anyone can beat the current king(FIFA) if they tried hard enough.

Really hard to compete against a quality product, but even harder when thats coupled with the best possible licence.

SmokyDave

I reckon GT6 is best left until next gen. GT5 was phenomenal and chock full of content, no need for another iteration until beefier hardware comes along.

GT Vita is the one I want to see.

saunderez

Look no further than Forza. Its had 3 mainline iterations and its rumored the next will be at, or close to, the next Xbox launch.

I don't know how they do it to be honest, Turn 10s progress has amazed me right from the beginning. And now the collaboration with Playground Games...I don't know what to expect from them next gen. Definitely my favourite Microsoft first party that's for sure.

bjaelke

That's probably what Ubisoft thought when they released Pure Football. Too bad they didn't get the "tried hard enough" part right.

Germany Week 1 2013

Top 10

Call of Duty: Black Ops II - PS3
Fifa 13 - PS3
Just Dance 4 - Wii
Far Cry 3 - Limited Edition - PS3
Assassins Creed 3 - PS3
Need for Speed: Most Wanted - PS3
Call Of Duty: Black Ops II - Xbox 360
New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 3DS
Hitman: Absolution - PS3
Call Of Duty: Black Ops II - PC

NSMB Wii U #24
...Sports Champions #20?

thank you, added to the opening post.

Tratorn

Nah, in Japan 360 games occasionally make the top 40

ISeeWhatYouDidThere.png

Razgreez

I don't know how they do it to be honest, Turn 10s progress has amazed me right from the beginning. And now the collaboration with Playground Games...I don't know what to expect from them next gen. Definitely my favourite Microsoft first party that's for sure.

From a purely technical standpoint you can't compare the time it takes PD to model a single car to the time it takes turn 10 and the companies they outsource modelling to to do the same. In reality the premium cars in GT5 were modelled in more detail than is possible to display in-game. Suppose they will only reap the fruits of those labours in later iterations.
If i can remember correctly KZ said it takes 1 person a full month to model a single car completely and that does not include the time taken to actually scan/process the physical car inside and out - which requires a team on its own. Then again perhaps their techniques are just inefficient

Varth

My toughts exactly. There should be some space for a GOOD unlicensed arcade soccer that's not FIFA Street junk, but it seems devs don't like money. You don't need to spend on licensing stuff if you put in a GOOD editor for every aspect of the game. Sell it on PSN/XBLA, sell editor DLC stuff, profit. I would like one for sure.

test_account

XP-39C²
GT was reduced to just over 5£ free shipping at a major retailer in Norway.
Which one? Since you say major and free shipping, i'm guessing Elkjøp/Lefdal? I guess it was one of their one day offerings that they sometimes do? Now the game is £30 at least.

Moonstone

Biu Sales-Awards 2012 (Germany):

3 titles did more than 1 mio:
Fifa 13
Call Of Duty: Black Ops II
Battlefield 3

Fifa 12 on PS3 reached 1 million sales (in 12 month) which is a new record

Awards 2012 / 2011

Gold-Awards (100k) 32 /60
Platinum-Awards (200k) 16 / 18
Multiplattform-Award 7 / 11

New awards december:

Assassin's Creed III - (PS 3)

Landwirtschafts-Simulator 2013 (PC)
Mario Party 9

Far Cry 3" (PC),
Need For Speed: Most Wanted (PS3),
Die Sims 3: Jahreszeiten (PC)
Pokémon: Weiße Edition 2 (NDS)

Fifa 13
Battlefield 3

Fifa 13 did the million on PS3 alone - which is a new record.

Awards 2012 / 2011

New awards december:

Mario Party 9

Far Cry 3" (PC),

is there a list of all the titles over 100k?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Fifa 13
Battlefield 3

Fifa 12 on PS3 reached 1 million sales (in 12 month) which is a new record

Awards 2012 / 2011

New awards december:

Mario Party 9

Far Cry 3" (PC),

Combining this with German Top 10 2012:

1. "FIFA 13" - Playstation 3 (500k +) (award on 05.11.)
2. "Diablo III" - PC
3. "Call Of Duty: Black Ops II" - Playstation 3
4. "Assassin's Creed III" - Playstation 3 - 500k+
5. "New Super Mario Bros. 2" - 3DS
6. "Guild Wars 2" - PC (200k +)
7. "Just Dance 4" - Wii
8. "FIFA 13" - Xbox 360
9. "World Of WarCraft: Mists Of Pandaria" - PC
10."Landwirtschafts-Simulator 2013" - PC - 200k+

dejan

Wait, Farming Simulator 2013 outsold Halo 4 in Germany? Heh, the continued ignorance of the 360 here in Germany is hilarious ... and totally deserved.

Cookie18

Bought my Wii U this week and very happy with it. I got it for £200 brand new and I think that is a sort of sweet spot if a game is maybe included. I love my Vita though so I'm probably just a tad masochistic.

Either way I don't think the Vita, Wii U and (at least initial) 3DS sales bode well for the PS4 and 720 launches.

Bumhead

Banned
Bought my Wii U this week and very happy with it. I got it for £200 brand new and I think that is a sort of sweet spot if a game is maybe included. I love my Vita though so I'm probably just a tad masochistic.

Either way I don't think the Vita, Wii U and (at least initial) 3DS sales bode well for the PS4 and 720 launches.

I do think there's a very strong case to suggest any new £300-£400+ system isn't going to launch well in the UK in this market. Particularly if the new systems launch close together.

However, I think there's an equal case to argue that the reason all 3 of those systems launched badly is because of mistakes made by the platform holders of those systems, and because they're really not very appealing to the mass market regardless of price.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
This column isn't about PAL gaming directly, but it does have graphs of the data I have from the UK for the past five years.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/184510/How_retail_figures_may_point_to_a_coming_disruption.php

Example:
uk-software-revenue-2008-2012.png

Aside:
Not sure if the column itself, which is a bit more macro, is worth a new thread. I'm afraid people will take issue with it, which is fine, but I don't want to seem like I'm inviting conflict.

Decline of Wii and DS and neither successor picking up the slack are pretty big reasons why the chart looks like that.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
And the decline of Peripheral Mania with 2008-9 being the point at which Guitar Hero and Rock Band died really. Consumers were hurling £100+ at things that weren't even new systems back in those heady days of living rooms filled with plastic shit. That combined with Wii-Mania and you're seeing a market that was booming at its very unsustainable largest with what amounts ultimately to a duo of fads then fizzling out and being replaced by affordable smartphone and tablet mania, whose software presumably isnt tracked there.

Lets hope the true next-gen consoles ignite hype engines back into AAA gaming.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Has the UK 2012 Top 100 been posted yet?

UK Retail Video Games
Week ending 5 January 2013: £18.3mm and 815,278 units.

Top Bottom