• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy soars to #1 in UK Boxed Charts with the Switch release becoming the 3rd biggest Switch game launch of the year | CoD MW3 slips to #2

Hogwarts Legacy is back at the top of the UK physical charts following its release on Nintendo Switch, plus Black Friday discounting, pushing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 to second place.

Black Friday deals have boosted sales for several titles, including EA Sports FC 24 at No.3, which benefited from a 115% sales boost from being part of a PS5 bundle.
The same goes for Assassin's Creed Mirage, which has moved from No.10 to No.8 following a 165% rise in sales. Gran Turismo 7 and Forspoken also re-entered the charts at No.15 and No.16, respectively, due to being bundled with the PS5.

Meanwhile, three new titles debuted in the UK boxed charts this week. Super Mario RPG at No.6, followed by Bluey: The Video Game at No.7, while Persona 5 Tactica came in at No.34.
Elsewhere, retailer promotions saw games such as The Last Of Us Part 1, Spider-Man: Miles Morales, and Resident Evil 4 re-enter the Top 40. Other titles, including Minecraft Legends, Final Fantasy 16, The Crew Motorfest, and Lego 2K Drive, also benefited heavily from price reductions.
Here is the GfK Boxed Top Ten for this week ending November 18, 2023:

Last WeekThis WeekTitle
81Hogwarts Legacy
12Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
23EA Sports FC 24
44Spider-Man 2
35Super Mario Bros Wonder
New entry6Super Mario RPG
New entry7Bluey: The Video Game
108Assassin's Creed Mirage
69Nintendo Switch Sports
3310Mortal Kombat 1

Last edited:

Mr Moose

woman-yelling.gif

Great game, deserves all the success.

Tsaki

Excellent! The platform release schedule for the game has been a genius move. They can optimize as much as possible for each hardware AND be constantly in the news cycle.
Is the Harry Potter IP now a larger draw than Marvel and Star Wars? I wouldn't be surprised; Disney has run those two franchises into the ground for the past decade.
To be fair, Fantastic Beasts seems to do the same for Harry Potter

Tsaki

If I were a 'content creator,' I would react to the awards dressed up as a Hogwarts student, with my wall adorned with a bunch of portraits of Madame J.K. Rowling and give away a copy of the game for every winner.
That would do wonders for viewership actually, especially if it'd give headlines to the more "socially considerate" news sites/"journalists"

From IB (sales estimations):

Highest #1 game in 2023 (UK retail)
  1. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 208.000 units
  2. EA FC 24 - 154.000 units
  3. Hogwarts Legacy - 135.000 units
  4. Marvel's Spider-Man 2 - 116.000 units
  5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III - 105.000 units
  6. EA FC 24 (2nd week) - 80.000 units
  7. Hogwarts Legacy (Switch launch week) - ~68.500 units
  8. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (2nd week) - 56.000 units
  9. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - 55.000 units
  10. Hogwarts Legacy (2nd week) - 46.000 units

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
From IB (sales estimations):

Highest #1 game in 2023 (UK retail)
  1. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 208.000 units
  2. EA FC 24 - 154.000 units
  3. Hogwarts Legacy - 135.000 units
  4. Marvel's Spider-Man 2 - 116.000 units
  5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III - 105.000 units
  6. EA FC 24 (2nd week) - 80.000 units
  7. Hogwarts Legacy (Switch launch week) - ~68.500 units
  8. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (2nd week) - 56.000 units
  9. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - 55.000 units
  10. Hogwarts Legacy (2nd week) - 46.000 units
Isn't this missing Wonder? how much did that do?

MrA

Banned
Wow I assumed, Hogwarts soft opening on switch, i wonder if Harry potters strength in the UK gave it a proportionally strong opening compared to the rest of the world

Woopah

Wow I assumed, Hogwarts soft opening on switch, i wonder if Harry potters strength in the UK gave it a proportionally strong opening compared to the rest of the world
I imagine that would be the case for all versions.

Rockondevil

Is the Harry Potter IP now a larger draw than Marvel and Star Wars? I wouldn't be surprised; Disney has run those two franchises into the ground for the past decade.
As others said the Fantastic Beast movies were doing this for WB.
However I'm sure if those movies didn't ruin it for people the TV show certainly will.

Fbh

I think in a way it is, but only because it hasn't been milked as much as Star Wars.
Star Wars has a long history of videogames, from shooters to racing games, sidescrollers, RPG's, action adventure games, etc.
HP basically only has the movie tie in games and the Lego games. This is basically the first proper AAA HP game, and in a lot of ways it's the dream game a lot of fans have been wanting for a long time.

If WB starts to milk it with big HP games every 2-3 years I imagine it will eventually settle down into Star Wars sales numbers.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
No surprise. In my observations on social media it seems a whole lot of millennials who read the books as kids only have a Switch for gaming in their household, so I knew it would rocket back up the charts after the release in a region or two in the world.

I'd say so, though with Marvel we should distinguish between Spiderman (and maybe Wolverine) vs the other games. I'd be interested to see Spiderman 2 sales against PS5 Harry Potter sales, specifically, tho I'd imagine currently HP is ahead (it did have since February to sell copies).

Disney/Marvel 100% need to rebuild both IP though, they're lucky the have companies like SIE/Insomniac working with their IP (lol @ the people who think Disney/Marvel have leverage to force SIE/Insomniac to go multiplatform or lose the license).

Raven117

clearly worst game of the year. Pathetic fucks.
It's my goty probably. That game is comfort food... and I am not... I was not a HP fan
Maybe not my game goty, but definitely cozy comfort food and a great first “real” game by the devs.

Probably top 5 games of a very crowded year. The game world was outstanding. The combat was serviceable, some quests were excellent, while some were meh.

Hogwarts is just a decent game. Not sure how many nominations it actually deserved. It's like Colin Kaepernick. If he was still a good QB then teams would have signed him, even with the controversy. It would have been much more interesting if Hogwarts Legacy reviewed in the low 90's, then the outrage would be crazy and much more warranted

Top Bottom