• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2012 Sales Results [Up2: Xbox 360, All Nintendo Hardware, NSMB Wii U]

Mad World
Dead Space Extraction
Boom Blocks
Zac & Wiki
No more Heros
De Blob
Goldeneye
Muamasa
A Boy and his Blob
Little King Story
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

All metacritic rated 80 or above, and all sold below expectations.
Wait...

I'd give you Goldeneye... but you can't be serious about the rest right? At the time NMH was Suda's most successful game (and sold a lot better than the PS3/360 versions), and the rest of them didn't have much hope. But even still De Blob sold pretty well, as did Boom Blocks.

They didn't sell in the millions, but they were far from "bombs". A few of them are even in genre's that rarely have a "success".

antonz

Is the Resident Evil franchise slowly dying? I know Raccoon city did well, but man, 200k for Revelations? Didn't RE6 do not great?

Resident evil really needs a reboot after some time off so they can reevaluate what they want from it.

Trying to make it more western isn't the solution they thought it would be and they have dragged the franchise in the mud for a long enough period that more traditional route isn't even trusted by gamers

Does anyone have any theories or data on how sales from one gen affect the next?

Does, say, the PS3 doing half what the 360 did this month mean that the next gen consoles will start out at a similar ratio?

It's hard to know until each unveil their systems this Spring.

They didn't sell in the millions, but they were far from "bombs". A few of them are even in genre's that rarely have a "success".

BY genre do you mean "third party games on Nintendo platforms" because then you'd be right.

The Kinect bundle has done well, I don't think the stand alone, or even it's games, have done anything at all. People are willing to buy value added bundles like Kinect or Wii Sports types of things as a SKU if they're not expensive.

Just Dance for Xbox probably outsold 90% of Xbox/PS3 games this holiday season.

Kinect Sports and Dance Central have also sold millions. Zumba and Your Shape have also both done very well. The Kinect accessory dominated point cards in sales for a long period time, not sure where it is now, but it was consistently in the Amazon top 20 during the holidays and is still hovering around the top 30.

There are 13 Kinect related items in the top 100 on Amazon right now and about 7 games in the top 50, so it's a little hard for me to believe that Kinect games aren't selling pretty decently relative to the rest of the industry.

Guevara

photojan10223313.jpg

What's Stinger Bell doing in this picture?

Alex

Yikes, 3DS software is even worse than I thought. So much for "b,b,b,but they DO sell, they just don't place in the top ten due to multiplats!".

Thing is a Mario machine, I hope we at least rack up some pity localizations. Time to go rattle a cup with loose change in it outside Square HQ.

It's a Nintendo system. Of course third party games are doing poorly.

Did you miss the DS, or something?

RE: Wii U 3rd party software.

November Wii U sold 510K SW, relative to the 425K HW units sold.

If the ratio held, then this month would have seen ~565K SW; an increase of 55K SW.

Does that imply Mario U is sucking up even more of the software sales, as it increased to 340K from 240K last month?

It's a bad fit for the platform. People didn't want a survival horror game a portable system.

It's a Nintendo system. Of course third party games are doing poorly.

You're talking about a Nintendo handheld. Get out of here with this nonsense. Nintendo handhelds have been great for 3rd party succeses, and the 3DS still is in Japan at least.

Sandfox

Yikes, 3DS software is even worse than I thought. So much for "b,b,b,but they DO sell, they just don't place in the top ten due to multiplats!".

Thing is a Mario machine, I hope we at least rack up some pity localizations. Time to go rattle a cup with loose change in it outside Square HQ.

It really depends on the sales expectations that are being placed on the game.

You're talking about a Nintendo handheld. Get out of here with this nonsense. Nintendo handhelds have been great for 3rd party succeses, and the 3DS still is in Japan at least.

Did you not see the sales chart listed above?

also, 19 of the top 20 selling DS were published by Nintendo with the exception of DQ 9.

Oemenia

Banned
Given the fact we are cheering Nintendo failing on the Wii U, it clearly shows that they really have gone out of their way to abandon and piss-off the core gamer.

Given the fact we are cheering Nintendo failing on the Wii U, it clearly shows that they really have gone out of their way to abandon and piss-off the core gamer.

Most of us aren't chhering, and the same thing happened/is happenig with the vita. Same thing will happen to the nextbox if it underperforms aswell.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Yes, and the 3rd party situation on the 3DS is not good at all, but what you posted was just wrong. "Of course sales are bad, it's a Nintendo platform" ignoring the GBA and DS

PSP < 50K < ... < 200K < PSV < 250K < ... < 600k < PS3 < 650K

thank you good sir

and yuck

creamsugar

Vita SW LTD
Include bundle, and I have no idea which one is 1st party so I post all.

cod
u:ga
ac3
mk
nfl
umvc3
u13
mlb12
mr:rt
lbp
r:bs
fifa
gr
golf
rayman
logo batman2
nfs
mgshd
persona4
little deviants

others, not all
ngasp
pasbr
rr
lumines
ro
katamari
disgaea3
sfxtk

Do PlayStation systems sell 3rd party games? I wonder how many 3rd party Vita games sold over 150k?

11 of the top 17 selling PSP games were published by third parties.

If you took Nintendo sales for their top sellers and put them against games on other platforms Nintendo games would make up most of the top 20 as well.

The point stands that people buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. This has been true for well over a decade now.

TheNatural

My Member!

Did you miss the DS, or something?

All that is really needed is enough sales to turn a profit on a localization when it comes to the US. If they sell well in Japan, then if they can get a profit on distribution, they'll be alright.

Hell not even that. Hire a cheap ass indie/hobbiest team to do a localization like so many have done for homebrew and just stick on Nintendo's eShop. Easiest free money ever. Things have changed, more Japanese companies, including Nintendo, need to start thinking out of the box on how to handle releasing them in the US.

BlackJace

Vita SW LTD

cod
ac3
mk
nfl
umvc3
u13
mlb12
lbp
fifa
gr
golf
rayman
logo batman2
nfs
mgshd
persona4
little deviants

others, not all
ngasp
pasbr
rr
lumines
ro
katamari
disgaea3
sfxtk

Sweet Jesus.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Would be somewhat interesting to get a list like that for the 360/PS3/Wii.

Even though it is probably pretty obvious what most of the games would be.

I have to wonder if LBP is going to keep being made. All of the Vita numbers are low, but that one is really low for a game of its status and budget and the series seems to just be on a major decline.

Yeah, stupid Nintendo abandoning gamers, they're just in it for the money.

Unlike Sony and Microsoft who are only in it out of the kindness of their hearts.

I have to wonder if LBP is going to keep being made. All of the Vita numbers are low, but that one is really low for a game of its status and budget and the series seems to just be on a major decline.
Did LBP2 do good? Just got a ps3, would be disappointing if they shitcanned the series :/

Vita SW LTD

cod
ac3
mk
nfl
umvc3
u13
mlb12
lbp
fifa
gr
golf
rayman
logo batman2
nfs
mgshd
persona4
little deviants

others, not all
ngasp
pasbr
rr
lumines
ro
katamari
disgaea3
sfxtk

Damn and since this includes CoD Vita bundles, UGA is the only Vita game over 200k without bundles
The point stands that people buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. This has been true for well over a decade now.

That does not and has not stopped 3rd parties from doing well previously.

Vita SW LTD

cod
ac3
mk
nfl
umvc3
u13
mlb12
lbp
fifa