• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2012 Sales Results [Up2: Xbox 360, All Nintendo Hardware, NSMB Wii U]

Sandfox

So 500k people shelled out $20+ for Angry Birds on the 3DS when they could've gotten it for free on iOS/Android (or paid a few bucks at the most)? Is there something about the 3DS version that I'm missing or does this punch a gaping hole in the "nobody is going to pay $$$ now that smartphone games cost only $" theory?

I'm sure it made a great game/gift for parents to give kids that they don't want using their smart phones or tablets.

So 500k people shelled out $20+ for Angry Birds on the 3DS when they could've gotten it for free on iOS/Android (or paid a few bucks at the most)? Is there something about the 3DS version that I'm missing or does this punch a gaping hole in the "nobody is going to pay $$$ now that smartphone games cost only $" theory?

Obviously the 3D is a much desired feature.

Busaiku

3DS can do better this year if there's a proper stream of releases.
Though knowing Nintendo of America, this will never happen.
At least the holiday should be better this year.

Software prices really need to fall.
Hardware is still a bit high, but I think lower software will help this a lot more than the other way.

You're assuming that everyone with 3DS's have smartphones/tablets.

They will kill it.

You have to realize that Microsoft kills it's hardware constantly to make room for the next version.

Look at Windows phone 7. Look at Zune.
Microsoft killed the Xbox and Kin.

But for most other things, Microsoft keeps them around for a loooooooooooong time, even if they aren't successful. Zune was around for quite a few years, and then turned into Zune Pass which is now being turned into Xbox Music Pass finally. And btw, there were almost as many WP7 sales worldwide this quarter as there were WP8 sales.

Windows Phony 7.8 will be heavily used by Nokia in emerging markets. So that's gonna live for at least another 1-2 years.

TheNatural

My Member!

Hardware is still a bit high, but I think lower software will help this a lot more than the other way.

What does Nintendo of America have to do with it? They just play the hand they're dealt. Fire Emblem is not a big seller in the US, there's not much they can do with that. I doubt Brain Age is going to come close to what it was on DS like 8 years ago. There's only so many options, they can't create a new Mario or Zelda out of thin air.

AniHawk

q1 is somewhat supported. brain age, luigi's mansion, and pokemon mystery dungeon are at least there, and they're supporting fire emblem in a huge way.

q4 is probably pokemon, animal crossing and something else (zelda?). the middle of the year looks really barren. and that's without considering the upcoming wii u woes.

antonz

Angry Birds 3DS is probably a great example of a company knowing how to price their product. They could have tried the 40 dollar route but knew that wasn't going to work. That 20 dollar price point at many retailers while of course high compared to iOS is impulse purchase price for a handheld and having the reputation the franchise has helps even more.

Hero

You're assuming that everyone with 3DS's have smartphones/tablets.

There are by far more iOS devices than 3DSes in the world. People can't clamor that iOS is eating handhelds' lunch and then not respect the fact that an IP did ridiculously well on the platform at a higher price.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Not saying the Vita numbers aren't grim, but one should factor in digital sales as well.

Yeah theres that. IIRC, Persona 4 didn't do a whole lot above 100,000 on the PS2 in NA, some old GAF sales talk backs this up so people hoping for better than what the Vita version ended up doing are kinda nuts. Although yes the game deserved better :(. Hopefully Atlus considered this number okay anyway.

q1 is somewhat supported. brain age, luigi's mansion, and pokemon mystery dungeon are at least there, and they're supporting fire emblem in a huge way.

q4 is probably pokemon, animal crossing and something else (zelda?). the middle of the year looks really barren. and that's without considering the upcoming wii u woes.

What? Animal Crossing will be out in Q2 at the latest. Also I expect a Kirby game announcement somewhere in there.

Nilaul

What does Nintendo of America have to do with it? They just play the hand they're dealt. Fire Emblem is not a big seller in the US, there's not much they can do with that. I doubt Brain Age is going to come close to what it was on DS like 8 years ago. There's only so many options, they can't create a new Mario or Zelda out of thin air.

Technically speaking America has Retro studios and NST studios. :p But I guess they dont really decide when to release things.

Zaventem

Pokemon is this year so yeah it'll do numbers.

AniHawk

Angry Birds 3DS is probably a great example of a company knowing how to price their product. They could have tried the 40 dollar route but knew that wasn't going to work. That 20 dollar price point at many retailers while of course high compared to iOS is impulse purchase price for a handheld and having the reputation the franchise has helps even more.

i hope more companies take note that games just aren't selling at $40 on any handheld, nor have they ever aside from nintendo and some square enix stuff, ever.

this price point was tried by nintendo in 2001 with the gba, sony in 2005 with the psp, and then nintendo again in 2011 and sony again in 2012 and it just doesn't work. i don't understand why they keep going back to that well.

hatchx

Banned
they've held stuff back before.

I envision some beautiful first half of 2013 where we get Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter 3, Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, Castlevania (and it turns out okay), and Project X Zone and Bravely Default on the eshop.

That would be a killer fuckin' lead up to e3.

....it ain't happening.

TheNatural

My Member!
They do not. Software included in hardware bundles are not included in the software data.

Actually he said they were if you scroll up above the listing.

That means 4 of the top 5 Vita games listed were in bundles. COD, Uncharted, Assassins Creed, and Madden all had bundles so that explains the numbers. People sure weren't buying them.

Mortal Kombat is the highest outside that, and I think that hit discount pricing real quick. I saw it on Best Buy's site for $10 a few days ago.

Name one time they've ever held a game back as big as AC over 10 months? No, Nintendo is going all out on the 3DS this year especially when the FY reports come out and show them hitting nowhere near 17 million. We're already seeing it with the very surprising amount of attention given to Fire Emblem

ohlawd

lol @ 3DS 3rd party list. More proof that we're fucking lucky we're getting any English localizations at all. Bravely Default, DQVIIr, etc.... fucking done man. Fucking done.
elf.
Now I love Atlus more than ever. At the very least, we're getting Etrian Odyssey IV and Soul Hackers. On the off chance SMTIV doesn't make it over, I tip my hat to them for fucking trying and making me feel good about myself. Bless their beautiful souls.

Sandfox

What? Animal Crossing will be out in Q2 at the latest. Also I expect a Kirby game announcement somewhere in there.

We're due for a new Mario and Sonic Olympic game this year as well.

I really doubt they are going to delay it that far. They've already delayed the game quite a bit to hold it back

They do not. Software included in hardware bundles are not included in the software data.

There is no way that CoD sold that much and if it did I feel sorry for the people that bought it.

Wait is this true?

creamsugar was pretty explicit - "Vita SW LTD Include bundle, and I have no idea which one is 1st party so I post all."

If he did then it was a manual calc. NPD software does not project bundled units nor retailer exclusive units. The revenues of the first are wrapped into the HW data (because of the price point) while retailer specific skus are attributed to an all other line in the data.

antonz

i hope more companies take note that games just aren't selling at $40 on any handheld, nor have they ever aside from nintendo and some square enix stuff, ever.

this price point was tried by nintendo in 2001 with the gba, sony in 2005 with the psp, and then nintendo again in 2011 and sony again in 2012 and it just doesn't work. i don't understand why they keep going back to that well.

Yeah at this point I think Capcom and the like should take their older titles drop them to like 25 and make a renewed push to try and reach the new audience.

Depressingly good point, that.

Just the reality of how bad the 3DS 3rd party situation is and how Japan focused Nintendo is right now. It honestly makes sense why someone like Square isn't announcing a bunch of 3DS games. Unless a 3rd party title can make back it's money from Japan alone and be worth the opportunity cost the money spend on a 3DS game could probably get far better returns elsewhere.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
lol @ 3DS 3rd party list. More proof that we're fucking lucky we're getting any English localizations at all. Bravely Default, DQVIIr, etc.... fucking done man. Fucking done.
elf.
Now I love Atlus more than ever. At the very least, we're getting Etrian Odyssey IV and Soul Hackers. On the off chance SMTIV doesn't make it over, I tip my hat to them for fucking trying and making me feel good about myself. Bless their beautiful souls.

This shit makes me mad and depressed at the same time. And I can't find anyone to blame.

donny2112

Just because most of the top 20 selling on the DS were first party isn't proof that 3rd party games didn't perform well on the system. All it is showing is that Nintendo's first party games were very popular.

Apparently, this isn't an easy concept to grasp. It's even been shown to be the case right in this thread with the 3DS/PSV third-party listings. Lack of publicly available hard numbers allows stuff like this to perpetuate, though.

All it took was the underwhelming second month of a new Nintendo platform.

Good news is? We're going to be seeing a lot of underwhelming months for this new Nintendo platform.

Yea!

NPD software does not project bundled units

Correct. They're delineated in the hardware data, though.

I honestly hope some of the more niche games will find a home on iOS instead of just dying out. It saddens me that the JRPG library of the 3DS won't even approach that of the DS>

Sandfox

Vita has sold 4 million fewer units than 3DS, and its top third party game is off by less than 200k.

That's the power of both the bundle and CoD.

elf.

Atlus games are all short print so they should do pretty well.

Wait, did the PS3 actually sell less in December than in November? Really?

Anyone know when was the last time any console had accomplished that feat?

Top Bottom