• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Halo 4 for 2013's MLG circuit

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
6gP1m.jpg

Rod Breslau(gamespot e-sport reporter)
‏@Slasher
This will be the first time in the 10-year history of MLG that Halo will not be there. The Call of Duty community now gets its shot

Very depressing news for fellow Halo enthusiasts like me :(

Loxley

This is surprising o_O Then again I have yet to play Halo 4, so maybe this makes sense to HaloGAF?

Unless of course this is simply because Halo is not the draw that it once was.

Proelite

Great news. For too long MLG have held back the evolution of Halo.

Halo 4 is the most enjoyable MP for me since Halo CE outside some technical issues.

I wonder why. wasn't there something about microsoft not allowing them to upload their videos to youtube? or maybe I'm confusing two different things.

I remember the days of CounterStrike 1.3, 1.5 and 1.6 being super popular with the esports community. CPL, ESWC and WCG were all huge competitions. NiP vs X3, SK vs 3D. Europe against America etc.

There was this site called gotfrag who was incredibly popular back then.

derder

I remember the days of CounterStrike 1.3, 1.5 and 1.6 being super popular with the esports community. CPL, ESWC and WCG were all huge competitions. NiP vs X3, SK vs 3D. Europe against America etc.

I forget the r in gotfrag.com and lols ensued.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
MLG was the worst thing to happen to Halo, any way. The constant pandering to a vocal minority of babbies wasn't doing the series any favours.

Which isn't far from the truth.

And obviously, MLG agrees that the game is not fit for competitive play, which is true.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing. Competitions don't mind change, but not too much of it. Having Halo in MLG every year kind of made the MP seem stagnant. Minor upgrades, but never anything spectacular. Halo 4 made a decent amount of changes, which the MLG people apparently couldn't agree with.

Of course, it could have a lot to do with the fact that they might want to bring in a much wider audience, since Halo is Xbox only, and CoD is on every console and PC.

border

Is this due to some failing of Halo 4's multiplayer?

Or is this all a political matter? Or is it just moneyhats and sponsorships?

I'm reading a book (Game Boys by Michael Kane) that mentions all of this stuff. It's incredibly interesting. I came into this thread wondering if Counter-Strike was still played in gaming competitions.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Which isn't far from the truth.

And obviously, MLG agrees that the game is not fit for competitive play, which is true.

MLG's decision here has nothing to do with the competitive state of the game.

Obviously you haven't been paying attention to Microsoft's exclusive deal with Virgin. You should maybe google it or something before coming up with incorrect conclusions.

gururoji

you seem angry. deal with it.

That one dude was right about you showing up in every thread and being aggressive about your opinion.

You're totally entitled to your opinion but even having not gone into every Halo thread it's getting old. Especially since you're often just dropping a short line like "it's pure trash". Though I found your opinion worthwhile at the times you actually explained it.

Just thought I'd tell ya in case you care.

6gP1m.jpg

Rod Breslau(gamespot e-sport reporter)
‏@Slasher
This will be the first time in the 10-year history of MLG that Halo will not be there. The Call of Duty community now gets its shot

Very depressing news for fellow Halo enthusiasts like me :(

Wake up, 343i. Wake up and smell the ashes.

That one dude was right about you showing up in every thread and being aggressive about your opinion.

You're totally entitled to your opinion but even having not gone into every Halo thread it's getting old. Especially since you're often just dropping a short line like "it's pure trash". Though I found your opinion worthwhile at the times you actually explained it.

Just thought I'd tell ya in case you care.

Yea i guess you are right but if i were type why it's bad down to each detail it seriously will take forever.

antitrop

I tend to follow the StarCraft II side of eSports, but wasn't Call of Duty: Black Ops 1 not very popular at MLG?
Like so unpopular they didn't even bother with Modern Warfare 3 last year? Weird, but whatever.

Halo: Reach was also pretty unpopular at MLG, but people want to watch strategy games over FPS, seeing as StarCraft II and League of Legends have been the two biggest eSport games for the past 3 years.

I feel eSports is even a bit "too strategy game" oriented at the moment, I would like to see fans of other genres be accepted into the eSports fold. Except for the fighting game community, they've already made their stance on the issue clear.

I'm reading a book (Game Boys by Michael Kane) that mentions all of this stuff. It's incredibly interesting. I came into this thread wondering if Counter-Strike was still played in gaming competitions.

sadly the competitive scene kinda died when they went over to CS-Source.

the popularity for CS peaked around 2005, 2006 or so.

Top Bottom