• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: Durango GPU detailed

diamount

Banned
Which is why 90% + of multiplatform games ran better on Xbox 360.

It's not just about potential power. It's about having the architecture and tools to allow devs to easily tap that power.

But the rumours say the PS4 will be more powerful and easier to develop for.

KageMaru

I was already disappointed in the PS4 GPU, and the 720 GPU is even worse? Oh wow.

Anyways, I think there's 2 things that MS is betting on:

1: 720 will be cheaper.
2: They probably expect most multiplatform games to lead on 720.

If Sony provides better tools, there's a good chance most games will lead on the PS4.

Aside from the GPU, the PS3 was superior to the Xbox 360 across the board.

This isn't true at all.

Madness

What's wrong with you people? This is GAF! Go back to your shanties!

That aside, how does this compare with the leaked orbis details?

Orayn

is this the reason for 8GB of memory?

Xbox%25203%2520compressedm.jpg

Interesting find. If Microsoft is really pushing compressed AA, that even takes away some of the theoretical advantages of having more RAM since it would mean Durango multiplats will more memory-hungry than their Orbis counterparts.

Reiko

Banned
Hi Aegies,

Hold the phone...

Are you saying that all the "leaked" RUMORS appear to be based upon unconfirmed specs that are exactly one year old. Son of a bitch...seems to me that this is a lot of time within which things might change, before final production design is frozen.

From my time on GAF, only Sony can make changes to their hardware. Old specs, or new specs, it's a lock for Microsoft.

:p

Yet still no numbers.

Until we have them in hand no cost comparison can be done. I am postulating based on specs and availability of hardware that Sony will have a cost advantage, assuming they use 8x 4Gb GDDR5 chips rather than 16x 2Gb ones. MS will be using 16x 4Gbit DDR3 chips initially which will increase motherboard complexity and cooling requirements.

At the very least, it means MS will not have a cost advantage as is currently assumed given the lesser power. Having 4Gb chips from the off halves the cost of the most expensive component in Orbis and MS are giving away their GPU savings for ESRAM on the APU.

Cape Verde is 123mm^2, with the extra CUs that pushes it to ~ 150mm^2, the ESRAM adds a further 40mm^2 and adds complexity which will depress yields.

Pitcarin is 212mm^2 but Sony haven't got all 20CUs, whether that is down to yields or they have removed them altogether is not known. The difference is not significant (and if Sony have removed the extra 2 CUs then it's non existent), and given the lesser complexity of Sony's APU, it will have higher yields.

So there you have it. Numbers.

I can't see their position being any different to this generation. One version might have a more consistent frame-rate, the other better lighting.

The battle (as with this generation) will be fought within 1st/2nd party.

This is where it gets wrong.

If Sony can get Orbis selling better than Durango, you are looking at a faster adoption rate in a system with free online which means more people with money to spend online on micro transations and DLC that devs love.

Now besides that, sales shifting Sony's way means that there's actually a chance that Orbis will become the lead platform, which would mean Durango getting "downports". That would mean that in fact multiplatform games would look and run better on Orbis.

Lead platform for next gen is yet to be determined, and that will be very important.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If MS go with the media/services first approach, your purchasing decision basically comes down to

- Do you want a machine that plays great games, and also has all those services like Netflix and bluray?

or

- do you want a great media centre with integrated services, that also plays great games?

Seems like it'll be more a semantic difference than anything meaningful.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Ehh, actually if the WiiU GPU is actually in the 400-500 GFLOPS range than the Durango is only around 2x the WiiU, the same as the PS2 to Xbox1
Well it's obvious these multipliers and comparisons are trivial and ambiguous at best, but it's still good fun to try and understand it especially if you don't have any tech background.

No. They're saying now. Like, for the last two months, well after hardware had been finalized. Both systems are in final hardware test now. I'd heard Yoshida just did a little world tour to confirm things were ready to show before they announced this month's event.

I'm not scrambling to do anything. I've been waiting for this thread to happen. Just like I'm waiting for E3 to show up so this thread looks like a festival of crazy people who overreacted to numbers they don't understand (and which honestly I've been looking at for a couple of months now and barely understand).

I said the leaks are accurate as of last February, because that's the date on all the documentation I've seen. Smart posters should be able to figure out why.

Interesting, thanks.

So how would this be for a comparison of the most similar PC GPUs for DuranDuran and Orbis?

Can we nail this Orbis having a GPU equal to a 7770 on the head right now ffs.

On paper its about equal to a 7850, in reality with much fewer overheads to worry about, it will easily match a 7870, and could enter 7950 territory with skilled dev houses.

MGR

That would be pretty horrible scenario for Sony. They have a more expensive system and it would only help them achieve a bit more fps?

A bit more FPS?

Some are suggesting based on numbers provided that near double clip may be achievable, although its still to early to tell.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Interesting find. If Microsoft is really pushing compressed AA, that even takes away some of the theoretical advantages of having more RAM since it would mean Durango multiplats will more memory-hungry than their Orbis counterparts.

The differences aren't that big, and framebuffers are a relative drop in the ocean. It's not going to be a problem, and it's not why they chose 8GB either :p

aegies

Hi Aegies,

Hold the phone...

Are you saying that all the "leaked" RUMORS appear to be based upon unconfirmed specs that are exactly one year old. Son of a bitch...seems to me that this is a lot of time within which things might change, before final production design is frozen.

I'm not saying the specs have changed. I don't think that they have. I'm just trying to qualify my statement as specifically as possible. See: ass-covering.

Hindle

Banned
It's known for a while that Epic and Crytek are partners in the design of this, would they really allow MS to release a console that's not high end?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I think the biggest reason PS2 sold so much was down to the DVD playback (at a time when DVD popularity exploded) tbh, i would agree that third party support played a massive role with regards to getting the core gamer to bite though. Having the likes of GTA, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil and MGS as exclusives was a massive pull.
250px-Resident_Evil_2002_cover.jpg

The PS2 only got RE4 to make up the sales

abadguy

Banned
I wonder when we're gonna start hearing graphics don't matter from Xbox fans

I don't get this post. Are you implying that a console significantly more powerful than the 360 is going to produce bad graphics? It's kind of funny to see consoles propped up and written off before we have seen any games whatsoever actually running on them.

Which is why 90% + of multiplatform games ran better on Xbox 360.

It's not just about potential power. It's about having the architecture and tools to allow devs to easily tap that power.

Because of plenty of factors. Adoption rate, game sales ratio, dev tools etc

You take away that? A lot changes.

Perkel

Banned
If DDR3+SRAM is more expensive than GDDR5 then why not go with GDDR5?

Maybe MS didn't include new GDDR5 512MB chips into calculation ? Split ram pool and inclusion of SRAM is more complicated on die (and still that leaves DME) something like that should be designed rather early. Redesign of their choice (DDR3+SRAM) 11 months before console premiere is hardly possible because that would change a lot in SOC design.

Sony on other hand was rumored to use 2GB GDDR5. When new tech arrived they just switched their 256MB GDDR5 chips to 512ones without any change in design (in general).

As of price do you have some data on price of 32MB SRAM ? I may be wrong but 4GB of newest 512MB GDDR5 chips should be more expensive overall. Naturally i just consider only chip prices and do not include design cost.

So am I to understand that GAF insiders have been operating on year old information all this time as well? Is this only for Durango or for both Durango and Orbis?

Render targets are a tiny portion of the RAM on these systems, even at 1080p. We're talking about systems with 16x the gpu RAM of previous gen while render targets should be the same as last gen to 2 or 3 times as big.

Zen

Banned
Why should they do this? They'll be happy to achieve the same like on durango with less work.

Because it's literally no effort at all to make the game look even better by having more AA/AF/Dynamic lights. Like none. It's harder making compromises. Even if they just raw port it over, no dev is just going to not make what amounts to an edit in an ini file.

spwolf

lets say the rumoured specs are correct. While we sit here wailing and gnashing our teeth over how x console is y% better than z console, the mainstream out there won't understand or care about any of it. If MS spends big on the marketing and pitches it just right, they'll do very well. Meanwhile we'll be sitting here going 'oh why is it selling so well, it has less CUs'

as we can see by Wii most recently, graphics dont directly equate to sales. So it really means little... total package (price, extra features, power) is what will matter when it comes general public.

lherre

Accurate
I said the leaks are accurate as of last February, because that's the date on all the documentation I've seen. Smart posters should be able to figure out why.

Because the specs didn't change. Simply as that.

Alpha kits -> Beta kits -> Final kits

Beta kits are more or less final kits (final silicon).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Agreed entirely, which is why I've argued before that it couldn't be done. Cater to the core early on and as the price of your console drops, branch off into a wider market.

Why they would veer from such an established strategy is difficult to understand.

if they are trying to disrupt (eg to try and grab the living room before Apple comes in and does it), then arguably the core gamer demographic may overlap the 'integrated tech living room home automation early adopter' demographic too. So there might be a market for a games console that also turns your heating down to stop your palms sweating.

I think its a stretch, especially against a sea of $99 streaming boxes all offering free access to almost all existing services. But I'll certainly be interested to see them try.

I'd also like to see global reactions if MS push something that is very US focused with cable company partnerships etc. If they are reserving memory for things that 2/3 of the world won't benefit from, thats not good.

Orayn

What's wrong with you people? This is GAF! Go back to your shanties!

That aside, how does this compare with the leaked orbis details?

CPUs seem to be identical.
Orbis has a somewhat faster GPU without the 4 "helper" CUs, which could be used for plenty of neat tricks or a little more rendering power.
Barring Sony making an expensive and audacious upgrade, Durango has more RAM but worse memory bandwidth.

Render targets are a tiny portion of the RAM on these systems, even at 1080p.

Gotcha.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Exactly.

If anything, the extra power won't make the PS4 more powerful. It will be the ease of development.

My prediction?

Sony and Microsoft will produce some titles that will look equally amazing. I honestly couldn't care which does it better, I'll be buying both if the software shines.

Same here. I can hear my wallet crying already.

liquidboy

Banned
No. They're saying now. Like, for the last two months, well after hardware had been finalized. Both systems are in final hardware test now. I'd heard Yoshida just did a little world tour to confirm things were ready to show before they announced this month's event.

I'm not scrambling to do anything. I've been waiting for this thread to happen. Just like I'm waiting for E3 to show up so this thread looks like a festival of crazy people who overreacted to numbers they don't understand (and which honestly I've been looking at for a couple of months now and barely understand).

NDA over

A bit more FPS?

Some are suggesting based on numbers provided that near double clip may be achievable, although its still to early to tell.

The thing is going from 30 fps to say 40 fps, is pointless, because it would actually look stuttery and less smooth than a locked 30 fps on 60Hz displays but if they are able to achieve 60 fps, it will look and feel much better. So if they can't double the framerate (assuming Durango will be targeting 30 fps) the extra power would be better utilized for IQ or something other than framerate.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

On paper its about equal to a 7850, in reality with much fewer overheads to worry about, it will easily match a 7870, and could enter 7950 territory with skilled dev houses.

So will Master Race still be Master Race or do they need to upgrade to get the same results?

Rad-

A bit more FPS?

The current rumoured specs aren't anywhere near 30vs60fps difference. More like 30vs40. Still quite a big difference but a difference that would be better used for IQ stuff.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Can't help but feel the fact that some comments are already calling this an "underpowered" machine just highlights how the power wars are subjective and increasingly pointless.

There is no objective standard for "powerful". Everything is relative. Console gaming seems trapped in the ancient history of the bit wars, when when every generation was literally, on paper "twice the bits" until we got to the point that progress wasn't measured that way anymore.

If Durango is weaker than Orbis, but less expensive, then it's not underpowered. It's engineered for a different value proposition. Just as people keep calling Wii U "underpowered" because of an arbitrary perception some have of what they think a $300 console "should" have in it - even though the PS3, a now last gen console, still retails for $300.

KAL2006

Banned
If MS go with the media/services first approach, your purchasing decision basically comes down to

- Do you want a machine that plays great games, and also has all those services like Netflix and bluray?

or

- do you want a great media centre with integrated services, that also plays great games?

Seems like it'll be more a semantic difference than anything meaningful.

Like I said before, as long as PS4 provides multitasking, a better OS than PS3, Netflix and all other catchup video streaming services. I really wouldn't care what else MS will add. I also expect Sony to offer many social features with video sharing and Livearea. Also add the fact you don't have to pay for Gold to use services like Netflix. I don't see what else MS can add to that and if they can is it a big deal and will it matter.

stktt

Banned
Can't help but feel the fact that some comments are already calling this an "underpowered" machine just highlights how the power wars are subjective and increasingly pointless.

There is no objective standard for "powerful". Everything is relative. Console gaming seems trapped in the ancient history of the bit wars, when when every generation was literally, on paper "twice the bits" until we got to the point that progress wasn't measured that way anymore.

If Durango is weaker than Orbis, but less expensive, then it's not underpowered. It's engineered for a different value proposition. Just as people keep calling Wii U "underpowered" because of an arbitrary perception some have of what they think a $300 console "should" have in it - even though the PS3, a now last gen console, still retails for $300.

I don't think you understand. One console has bigger numbers. That means that the other console is underpowered.

THE:MILKMAN

Now this is interesting. I specifically asked the question weeks ago if there was any final silicon in Durango dev kits and the answer was no.

Reiko

Banned

lherre, giving us seeing recent GPU specs for Durango...

Are you still sticking to your previous comment on both consoles being comparable in power? Just curious.

Yeah, I know, I compared 7770 (Durango, 16 ROPs...) with 7850 (Orbis, 32 ROPs). They will get a lot more performance out of them compared to PC (APU environment, lower level programming), but they differences will still be there.

Could 16 ROPs vs 32 and the extra bandwidth mean 720p vs 1080p in quite a lot of games?

I dont understand why they are wasting so much energy on dvr crap?

the people who are going to buy the first 10-20 million of these console hardly watch tv as it is.

lherre

Accurate
Lol how do you feel about the difference in specs between the two (orbis and Durango)?

Sorry I can't talk about that, in fact, this is my last comment in one of this threads (i mean consolewars, specs, etc, I will participate in gaf in the rest of the forums).

Top Bottom