• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: The next Xbox: Always online, no second-hand games, 50GB Blu-ray and new kinect

It's funny everyone was quite excited about next gen and now people are starting to be bitter and build resentment towards it. All this talk and interviews about always online, no used games, weak specs, kinect, etc. I hope next week we will be impressed and content with what next gen briings.

I agree with this. Over the entirety of the past generation I think the only time I ever played offline was when PSN shit the bed, and then it wasn't my choice. Otherwise my PS3/360 are always connected in case there's a patch, a friend online etc. I don't see either of them cutting out offline play if you have a license on the box. That's a head-scratcher.
I actually will avoid playing if my online is not working for some reason. Kinda weird maybe.

Respawn

Banned
sony was in more home then that with the ps2....look were they are now. i know i will not be buying the next x box. i really like the 360 and the old x box. the MS without bill is doing everything wrong lately. they can lose the 80 million really easly.

I'm curious, so tell me. Where are they now? Seen this alot lately because they sure aren't suffering when it comes to console sales or games. I think some of you are in very strong denial at what's about to happen.

B.O.O.M

He completely ignored the question. My guess is that's a "yes" about it not playing used games.

Another thing that bugs me is he ignores the question but jumps straight into sony.

Seriously anti used and always online would mean going against a good chunk of market. I can't see either console maker doing it. Damn I hope not at least

B.O.O.M

You can't blame him the way it's worded makes it look that way.

Or he could use the less paranoid route and take it for what it is..a simple question.

Or he could use the following set of arguments in which I explain it, that is just a post or two below the one he quoted

meh not my problem

Well as of now I don't know if there's anything in place for internet issues and the like or if MS is listening to complaints, but as it stands I can say with 100% confidence the console needs to be online to play a game.
Hmm. You'll probably be held to this...

Interesting if true.
No rumor is credible till confirmed though.

Only confirmation we have of next gen is PS4 reveal on Feb 20th.
There are degrees of credibility.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Or he could use the less paranoid route and take it for what it is..a simple question.

Or he could use the following set of arguments in which I explain it, that is just a post or two below the one he quoted

meh not my problem

That's all this back and fourth in these threads have been is paranoia, after reading the first 80 pages of this thread it's not surprising.

lets be real here, EDGE is a credible rumour. If there was something comparable for Sony then it would be fair to rope it in but as of now it's just that, people roping it in.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

The credibility of EDGE isn't in question it's the credibility of the source and the statement of the source that is. For all we know the source might be right but anything can change from now to final product.

A twofer, argumentum ad ignorantiam.

FordGTGuy

Banned
lets be real here, EDGE is a credible rumour. If there was something comparable for Sony then it would be fair to rope it in but as of now it's just that, people roping it in.

The credibility of EDGE isn't in question it's the credibility of the source and the statement of the source that is. For all we know the source might be right but anything can change from now to final product.

Nice, argumentum ad ignorantiam.

Neither statement is a argument from ignorance, neither of us are claiming anything as fact through ignorance.

His statement is a logical statement, mine is one of speculation.

B.O.O.M

That's all this back and fourth in these threads have been is paranoia, after reading the first 80 pages of this thread it's not surprising.

Going to be frank here...that's none of my concern. If I were to take the 'tone' and 'history' of a thread and all the arguments people have in it into account for every single thing I type in Gaf, this would be most useless, pain in the ass forum ever.

Anywho let's keep it on track shall we. Next time someone say something about my statement I will just block em and won't reply.

Reiko

Banned
Nice, argumentum ad ignorantiam.

What I mean is nothing is official until conformation from Sony or Microsoft.

Only thing official we have is the "The future of Playstation" on Feb 20th. So maybe then we'll have a clearer picture.

I don't really get why the refrain that "nothing is official" is being repeated as nauseum; not just in this thread but in essentially all of them (and in particular when people don't like what information is pointing to.)

Yes, we all know that. Sony and Microsoft may opt to never officially announce their console specs. And yes, EDGE could be entirely wrong. And even if EDGE is right, Microsoft could change their plans.

That doesn't mean discussion can't be had on the information at hand and the implications thereof.

Reiko

Banned
I don't really get why the refrain that "nothing is official" is being repeated as nauseum; not just in this thread but in essentially all of them (and in particular when people don't like what information is pointing to.)

Yes, we all know that. Sony and Microsoft may opt to never officially announce their console specs. And yes, EDGE could be entirely wrong. And even if EDGE is right, Microsoft could change their plans.

That doesn't mean discussion can't be had on the information at hand and the implications thereof.

Same way I feel.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Online only is far less agreggious to me than no ability to play used games.

Honestly that alone doesn't make me question purchasing the system at all.
It's the opposite for me.

Publishers are already slowly working to lock out used game sales. Shit, Sony is even working towards that on their first party titles. With so many sales nowadays, it's hard not to get a new game for equal or less than what GameStop will sell you a used game anyways. It's inevitable at this point without any force stopping it already. If not locked out at an OS level, it will be locked out at the game level. The whole used games thing is overblown. GameStop has seen it coming from a mile away and has tried to adapt with stuff like Impulse but has failed.

"Always online"'s implications are much more broad reaching. It has many interpretations, it could mean your console doesn't work at all offline when there is no ability to constantly authenticate, it means your DD may not work offline, it means you might be fucked if you have shitty Internet or no Internet, etc. Of course, I personally think this is all horseshit because the rationales and benefits for doing so are too flimsy.

Satchel

Banned
I find something confusing.

If only one of Sony or Microsoft are going to block used games, do they do so with the backing of major publishers and devs promising exclusivity and a glut of titles to make up for likely lost console sales?

I mean, 3rd parties generally want used games blocked, but they also tend to want to back a winner. They can't do both here can they?

FordGTGuy

Banned

Publishers are already slowly working to lock out used game sales. Shit, Sony is even working towards that on their first party titles. With so many sales nowadays, it's hard not to get a new game for equal or less than what GameStop will sell you a used game anyways. It's inevitable at this point without any force stopping it already. If not locked out at an OS level, it will be locked out at the game level. The whole used games thing is overblown. GameStop has seen it coming from a mile away and has tried to adapt with stuff like Impulse but has failed.

"Always online"'s implications are much more broad reaching. It has many interpretations, it could mean your console doesn't work at all offline when there is no ability to constantly authenticate, it means your DD may not work offline, it means you might be fucked if you have shitty Internet or no Internet, etc. Of course, I personally think this is all horseshit because the rationales and benefits for doing so are too flimsy.

Same, I'm more worried about online only than no used games but I don't want either to happen.

Reiko

Banned

If only one of Sony or Microsoft are going to block used games, do they do so with the backing of major publishers and devs promising exclusivity and a glut of titles to make up for likely lost console sales?

I mean, 3rd parties generally want used games blocked, but they also tend to want to back a winner. They can't do both here can they?

Yeah. This doesn't make any sense the more I read into it.

Nothing has been said about that yet.

CLEEK

The two groups who benefit from blocking used games are the console manufacturers and the publishers, as neither get a cut from second hand sales..

The two groups who are negatively effected are consumers and retailers.

Let's say MS does block used games and Sony doesn't.

If Sony allows used games, they could piss off publishers. Some games might not be released on their platform. But they would please retailers, who would be more likely to push their hardware and games.

For MS, they might see more games on their platform, but would have soured the retail relationship. So unless they'd sweeten it by allowing a much bigger margin on Xbox products over Sony/Nintendo ones, they could be looking at lower retail sales.

It makes far more sense to keep your retail partners happy, rather than your content providers. This has always been Nintendo's strategy, which has seen enormous retails success for them (it's the main reason they've been slow to embrace digital distribution, as they want to appease their long term retail channel partners).

There are only a small number of retailers in each country, but hundreds of game makers. If Activation didn't support your platform, another company would fill the vacuum left. If GameStop or similar major retail channel doesn't support your platform, you would have a far harder time getting market penetration of the console and see fewer games sold.

Personally, I just can't see how MS could do this if Sony doesn't. Interesting times ahead.

Satchel

Banned
Yeah. This doesn't make any sense the more I read into it.

Sorry.

Example:

If MS blocks used games, something devs and publishers want, then the assumption is, that MS will have a smaller user base compared to the 360.

So since games are important, I'd have thought that MS would only take such a gamble with an assurance from certain devs and publishers that they'd get a lot of exclusives on Xbox to get people to buy the new console, forgetting it won't play used games.

Have I explained that any better?

If Activation didn't support your platform, anything company would fill the vacuum left. If GameStop or similar major retail channel doesn't support your platform, you would have a far harder time getting market penetration of the console and see fewer games sold.

Um, maybe ask Sega if that's the case.

AniHawk

no used games sounds like this gen's arbitrary $10 increase. we need to do it otherwise studios wont be able to fund their games!!

Reiko

Banned
Sorry.

Example:

If MS blocks used games, something devs and publishers want, then the assumption is, that MS will have a smaller user base compared to the 360.

So since games are important, I'd have thought that MS would only take such a gamble with an assurance from certain devs and publishers that they'd get a lot of exclusives on Xbox to get people to buy the new console, forgetting it won't play used games.

Have I explained that any better?

Oh. I understand now.

The two groups who benefit from blocking used games are the console manufacturers and the publishers, as neither get a cut from second hand sales..

The two groups who are negatively effected are consumers and retailers.

Let's say MS does block used games and Sony doesn't.

If Sony allows used games, they could piss off publishers. Some games might not be released on their platform. But they would please retailers, who would be more likely to push their hardware and games.

For MS, they might see more games on their platform, but would have soured the retail relationship. So unless they'd sweeten it by allowing a much bigger margin on Xbox products over Sony/Nintendo ones, they could be looking at lower retail sales.

It makes far more sense to keep your retail partners happy, rather than your content providers. This has always been Nintendo's strategy, which has seen enormous retails success for them (it's the main reason they've been slow to embrace digital distribution, as they want to appease their long term retail channel partners).

There are only a small number of retailers in each country, but hundreds of game makers. If Activation didn't support your platform, another company would fill the vacuum left. If GameStop or similar major retail channel doesn't support your platform, you would have a far harder time getting market penetration of the console and see fewer games sold.

Good post.

Toski

I wonder if it'll be a "service" to developers like region locking. Publisher X can decide they want second hand copies of "Boogoo's Grand Adventure" locked while leaving other games unlocked. MS might take a greater cut of royalty fees for second hand locked title. If Publisher X decides to overturn the lock, they pay MS a fee like they do now.

If you don't mind me adding a personal experience to this, Diablo 3 was a sometimes okay game but whenever I hit lag spikes there was a good chance I would die, even when I played by myself. Most single player experiences I've had before never had this kind of problem, and I hope it's not one I have to deal with further into the future. Expanding on that, DRM as egregious as AC2's was met with fire and brimstone, and for good reason; losing any progress you made in a game for reasons that aren't even related to the game itself is kind of bullshit.

Another concern I want to bring up is that this can impact local/LAN multiplayer games as well as single player games. From what I understand playing fighting games online is okay for some, but not all that consistent. Having lag meddle with matches and having no means of avoiding it (if no local multi option is available) will probably be a terrible future for fighting games and most dexterity dependent games that aren't FPS/TPS. Hell SC2 has shown the consequences such as bad lag spikes and disconnects during tourney matches.

FordGTGuy

Banned
no used games sounds like this gen's arbitrary $10 increase.

I hope not, $60 is already too much for most games that release on the market.

It's pretty funny hearing publishers say that they sold more games in 24 hours of a Steam sale than the first two months after release. You'd think this would tell these publishers something but it clearly isn't.

Sorry. I had to leave right after making that post. I'm confirming it.

mcnabb.gif

Shit. Hear anything about Orbis?

If this is really true man Microsoft is messing up huge. Do you know if this information is recent or old?

Recent. It does seem to be in place to combat used games. Now speaking from opinion, they will hopefully have alternatives in place for dealing with used games other than "no". Although I can't see any without something like buying a license for the game. But they seem intent on dealing with used games.

Reiko

Banned
Recent. It does seem to be in place to combat used games. Now speaking from opinion, they will hopefully have alternatives in place for dealing with used games other than "no". Although I can't see any without something like buying a license for the game. But they seem intent on dealing with used games.

So always online & no used games?

CLEEK

Is there any practical application of always online or should we assume it's for some kind of DRM or used game lock out.

The main reason are for anti-piracy, to enforce anti-used games and to is to ensure Xbox consumers are able to buy into other, non-gaming MS services.

From a game maker perspective (who will also be happy about anti-piracy and anti-use games), it ensure that all users will have current patch levels. Knowing they'll always be online means that they can incorporate this into game designs. Not just multiplay gaming, but daily / weekly challenges, special modes etc, available to all.

Top Bottom