• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: The next Xbox: Always online, no second-hand games, 50GB Blu-ray and new kinect

I'm not saying it's mind blowing that some people do want to discuss rumors. I myself have discussed rumors.

I said though/meant that it's mind blowing that people are already having console wars over consoles that haven't even been released (or reveled) yet. That's all.

It's both immature and premature, that much is definitely true. But what can you do... Just ignore it and wait for the reveal.

Mikey Jr.

I find it EXTREMELY suspicious that MS would have an online only console while ps4 didn't. What advantage would it give to ms?

Bgamer90

Banned
I find it EXTREMELY suspicious that MS would have an online only console while ps4 didn't. What advantage would it give to ms?

I honestly can't see it happening just on the basis that a lot of people who don't have broadband and/or don't care about online gaming at all would still be willing to give MS money for their new console just to play new games (offline).

Krakatoa

I think it will be the same as it is now with digital downloads. The machine with the license on will not have to be on live. If you want to play the game on another machine, then you will need to be connected.

Physical media will require a key, that attaches a license you live tag.

To me both of these options don't bother me, as long as I can transfer a license if a machine dies then its no big deal.

Bgamer90

Banned
I think it will be the same as it is now with digital downloads. The machine with the license on will not have to be on live. If you want to play the game on another machine, then you will need to be connected.

Physical media will require a key, that attaches a license you live tag.

To me both of these options don't bother me, as long as I can transfer a license if a machine dies then its no big deal.

Interesting idea/thought. I could see that happening.

I could also see that being tied into the "no used games" rumors as well.

We'll see.

iceatcs

Allowing online as require for any games. Not just online gaming, more online features such as "Dead Souls" in-game message, online advert, in-game market, cloud save etc...

Bgamer90

Banned
Not really twisted though isn't it? It's straight up: 'no used games'.

Meant to say "tied". Mistake on my part.

In terms of the used game rumors, I could also see an Xbox Live subscription being needed in order to play them.

Overall, I believe that something will be changing when it comes to used games -- on both the PS4 and Next Xbox. I don't think that there will be a full on block though.

lemonade

I'm more concerned about MS subsidizing the Durango.

My subscription to live runs out in July and I may not renew if they subsidize Durango's purchase price with a LIVE subscription contract.

Of course I may forego Durango altogether and just get a PS4 for my next gen needs.
only time will tell

im sure these concerns will be answered at e3

It's not about Sony, it's about Ms growing their ecosystem. lf you have to be connected online in order the xbox to function, the odds of more people subscribing to gold grows exponentially.

It's not about Sony, it's about Ms growing their ecosystem. lf you have to be connected online in order the xbox to function, the odds of more people subscribing to gold grows exponentially.

Eh, Sony's current and future ecosystem is as every bit online as MS'. If one is always online, the other will surely be so. Thing is, they both are unlikely to require always-online connection (due to reality of current userbase percentages online), but that won't stop them from basically forcing the issue with all of their online-based services and subscription content. Sony's going to be so very similar to MS in this regard because most of the games across the two will very likely have the need for an online-connection at the publisher/developer's discretion on a per-title basis, like for initial product activation and full game features to be available.

Mrbob

People have console wars over what socks they are going to wear in the morning.

I forgot how, but a couple years ago I stumbled across a forum thread about toast machines for toasting bread. It was a huge fanboy war between people backing different vendors. I wish I would have saved that link. The thread was awesome to read from the outside.

The constant back and forth bickering about specs to a console that hasn't even been officially confirmed yet is mind-blowing to me.

Well they appeal to what rumors EDGE etc got right for PS4 so they must be set in stone for Durango specs. Also "it is too late to change specs save for memorey" etc. Will be interesting how this always online and no used games things works out.

Sky Chief

Combined with Kinect it will let Ballmer spy on you :p

ballmerCUTSYUMMY.jpg

Creepy....

Top Bottom