• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: The next Xbox: Always online, no second-hand games, 50GB Blu-ray and new kinect

Since the article he has said that the always online/no used games rumors are false.

It really wouldn't surprise me if these rumors were false. Edge is the driving force for this rumor while every other blog is using them as a source. The way they release them is also sketchy. They released the first article about it and then a second one the next day. The second one had no new content. All it did was imply their rumor is fact and say what will happen. The amount of hits they are getting for this have probably made their articles the most linked to in that given week.

I find it hard to believe that Microsoft is going to release such an anti-consumer feature when they have yet to do this to Halo, Gears of War, or Forza. It doesn't match up and that along with Edge's sketchy multiple articles with no new content just leads me to believe we're being fooled by a rumor that sounds reasonable

It really wouldn't surprise me if these rumors were false. Edge is the driving force for this rumor while every other blog is using them as a source. The way they release them is also sketchy. They released the first article about it and then a second one the next day. The second one had no new content. All it did was imply their rumor is fact and say what will happen. The amount of hits they are getting for this have probably made their articles the most linked to in that given week.

I find it hard to believe that Microsoft is going to release such an anti-consumer feature when they have yet to do this to Halo, Gears of War, or Forza. It doesn't match up and that along with Edge's sketchy multiple articles with no new content just leads me to believe we're being fooled by a rumor that sounds reasonable
Them doubling down with a second article made me believe them more, considering how spot on they've been with orbis I'm leaning towards true.

Was their article about the ps4 also sketchy? Given the fact they were spot on, especially about the ram? We can't just pick and choose when EDGE is full of shit or not based on what we want to believe. Either they're a reliable credible source that have been proven to be correct in the past or they're not.

And Kotaku is using their own source to confirm the rumor.

Flatline

Banned

It's doesn't even sound reasonable though. Maybe it's plausible for used games but noone is so stupid that they'd make an always online console after the clusterfucks we've witnessed from DRM games. Companies get bad publicity for multiplayer services going down for a few hours imagine if you couldn't use your games at all, the backlash would be of shock and awe proportions.

I really don't think it's happening guys.

I will wait and see but Edge did get the ps4 stuff completely right. It's worrisome.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I thought this SuperDaE was considered to be unreliable? Wasn't there a lot of questionable things he mentioned?

It had a purpose, a lot of people doubted the rumors, so they doubled down and made clear how confident they were in their sources.

That type of thinking sounds silly to me, especially why everyone was doubting them, which was the lack of a source. You don't address those complaints with the same article, you address them head on with more evidence. Repeating things just doesn't show any confidence imo.

I thought this SuperDaE was considered to be unreliable? Wasn't there a lot of questionable things he mentioned?

Until Microsoft tries to get Edge writers arrested, I'm going to trust the other guy.

Insiders here have said he's full of BS. I'm not paying attention to shit he says personally.
That type of thinking sounds silly to me, especially why everyone was doubting them, which was the lack of a source. You don't address those complaints with the same article, you address them head on with more evidence. Repeating things just doesn't show any confidence imo.
I don't expect any of the big rumor sites to show a source.

statham

they also say this in a followup article.
There remains a possibility that Microsoft will allow publishers to sell pre-owned game activations via Xbox Live, in much the same way that, right now, buyers of certain second-hand Xbox 360 games with online components can pay to access features such as online play. Rather than eliminating the second-hand game market, this would simply transform it into something from which publishers and developers could benefit. Looking at it optimistically, the revenues being re-routed into publishing and development would provide additional investment opportunities for new games, so what at first seems like simply bad news for consumers may end up being beneficial in the long term.
which sounds like what Sony is about to do.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/why-microsoft-is-killing-the-second-hand-game-market/

artist

Banned
Yes, a lot of his interpretation was up in the air and even Jason (Kotaku) didnt believe it.

He was so unreliable that Microsoft sent the FBI on him.
They sent FBI on him because of his actions. If he had any more reliable info, he'd have shared it with Kotaku and it would have been published. (Only if the info corroborated with Kotaku's own sources)

abadguy

Banned
xbox live has not become the no.1 console online platform just because people's friends are on it, it is the more successful online service because it is better then PS3's.

Next gen Microsoft will have to demonstrate why there service is worth paying for and the most enjoyable to use.

If its no better then the free PS4 service I doubht many will get an xbox out of brand loyalty, and if there friends do have a durango or PS4 its the quality of the online serivce/games/value that will get them to buy it in the first place.

Well said....

They don't care for gaming dollars, both want media dollars.

If they didn't care for "gaming dollars" they wouldn't be releasing consoles at all. They would simply be Roku like boxes and nothing more. Sure they won't be dedicated gaming consoles but that will still be their primary function.

Insiders here have said he's full of BS. I'm not paying attention to shit he says personally.[/qupte]
Then what's the reason for not believing SuperDAE? If anything, he has more credibility because he's obviously used the Durango dev kit.

I don't expect any of the big rumor sites to show a source.
I'm not sure what that has to do with the multiple articles? Like I said, repeating articles doesn't show confidence and in now way, was Edge addressing their remarks to their first one, which was the lack of a source. I understand that they can't give source specifics, but saying they were addressing remarks isn't true.

If anything, both SuperDAE and Edge deserve the same credibility because each has been doing shady things about this rumor. Though, the shady things SuperDAE does is actually playing the Durango, so it's hard for me to lean on Edge's side on this. Also, Edge copied many of SuperDAE's comments about the PS4, which turned out to be true.

Biggzy

I'm not sure what that has to do with the multiple articles? Like I said, repeating articles doesn't show confidence and in now way, was Edge addressing their remarks to their first one, which was the lack of a source. I understand that they can't give source specifics, but saying they were addressing remarks isn't true.

If anything, both SuperDAE and Edge deserve the same credibility because each has been doing shady things about this rumor. Though, the shady things SuperDAE does is actually playing the Durango, so it's hard for me to lean on Edge's side on this. Also, Edge copied many of SuperDAE's comments about the PS4.
I just disagree, their second articles gave more confidence in the rumors to me, and other people in the neogaf thread. Superdae hasn't been spot on with orbis rumors like edge was so I don't see why they get the same cred.

I just disagree, their second articles gave more confidence in the rumors to me, and other people in the neogaf thread. Superdae hasn't been spot on with orbis rumors like edge was so I don't see why they get the same cred.

Edge copied his specs, along with everyone else? If he wasn't fully right, neither was Edge...

statham

i cant imagine it being that much cheaper.
IMO, I said this also in the ps4 thread too, they will give gamestop free codes that print on the receipts, like when I bought uncharted 3 they gave me a free online code. That way keeping gamestop in business, cause when you trade in @ gamestop you have to spend the credit @ gamestop. They won't give codes to amazon/bestbuy because you can spend that credit on other things.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Here in the UK preowned games are not that much cheaper anyway usually. It will depend on how much the activation codes will be in this scenario.
Same here in America. Usually about $5 difference and that's all.

FLAguy954

IMO, I said this also in the ps4 thread too, they will give gamestop free codes that print on the receipts, like when I bought uncharted 3 they gave me a free online code. That way keeping gamestop in business, cause when you trade in @ gamestop you have to spend the credit @ gamestop. They won't give codes to amazon/bestbuy because you can spend that credit on other things.

But this still won't matter because at the end of the day I can't play my game on any console I please and it most likely will not be cheaper (I have absolutely no confidence in publishers to price appropriately, see: this past generation of price exploitation). Also, this is most important to me, I won't have the choice of where my money goes ie I don't want to be forced to play into the new used game system because imo publishers, like anyone else who sells a product, only deserves to get paid on the initial purchase only. Video game publishers aren't special enough to be exempt from the normal workings of capitalism.

Alx

But this still won't matter because at the end of the day I can't play my game on any console I please

I think you would be able to play it on any console, provided you're connected with your account. It's how it works for digital content on their current console : you can play offline on the console attached to your game, or play it on any other console connected with your XBL account.
That would be in line with all the current "ecosystem" philosophy of Microsoft (and everybody else) : XBLA, Xbox music, Office 365, ...

Top Bottom