• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: PS4 controller prototype & devkit photo, [Up: New Photo/Info In OP]

params7

Banned
Is it really that bulky though? If you look, you can only see the actual thickness from the top. It could very well be just real estate for the (rumored) improved trigger set, just hanging over to form a ledge...like the one on the back of the WiiU pad. The rest of the controller is probably regular size. That would be awesome...

Yeah it looks like the middle ground between 360's and dualshock 3 for me. It'll fill out the hands nicely this time.

I wonder if they're going to give it a new name or DS4

Riddy

Bulky, and while I like the Vita's D-Pad, I like the original dual-shock one more. I doubt this is the final design so I'll hold my breath til the 20th. I'm just happy the PS4 is finally here *cries*

Izick

My thoughts:

i3UzEapI0L8Yx.jpg

Not exactly daring but you're most likely right.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Triggers look significantly pushed back - see the ledge where the dpad and face buttons are before you get to L1/R1. Wonder if that means they are tucking L2/R2 further around the back, like with the WiiU gamepad, or move?

I like the LED strip, being a rectangle should make it able to know when it is level, and twisting.

Sony has no shame. Are they really going to try to sell screens on controllers having seen Nintendo innovate that approach with the WiiU? Ripping off rumble from the N64 controller, motion controls with the Sixaxis, and now SCREENS with this unnamed PS4 controller, I have never been more disappointed. Can they not come up with an innovative idea for once in their companies lives? At least with the Vita they at least tried to innovate with rear touch panel capabilities, but this is just getting ridiculous. Sony I sincerely hope you change your plans while you have the time. Maybe then will I consider dropping money on this travesty.

SmokyDave

My thoughts:

http://i2.minus.com/i3UzEapI0L8Yx.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I really don't think that's a mic. I reckon it's a speaker grille. It's way too large to be a mic and the placement means all anyone would hear would be clacking analogue sticks.

LifEndz

Man....does not look as sleek as Sony products usually look. And speakers/a mic on it? No way that's the final design.

Who needs Kinect for voice commands when you got it right there on the controller, whether you want to wear a headset or not. Win win win if that's how it works.

Sony has no shame. Are they really going to try to sell screens on controllers having seen Nintendo innovate that approach with the WiiU? Ripping off motion controls with the Sixaxis and now SCREENS with this unnamed PS4 controller, I have never been more disappointed. Can they not come up with an innovative idea for once in their companies lives? At least with the Vita they at least tried to innovate with rear touch panel capabilities, but this is just getting ridiculous. Sony I sincerely hope you change your plans while you have the time. Maybe then will I consider dropping money on this travesty.

It's.... It's not a screen on the controller. It's just a touch digitizer

Nafai1123

Banned
lol looks butt ugly
What in the hell could be the use of the touchpad?

iOS/Android ports, UI navigation, web browsing, context sensitive cutscenes/minigames, etc. It's a touchpad just like a smartphone. It's not hard to imagine why it would be useful.

Durante

Sony has no shame. Are they really going to try to sell screens on controllers having seen Nintendo innovate that approach with the WiiU? Ripping off motion controls with the Sixaxis and now SCREENS with this unnamed PS4 controller, I have never been more disappointed. Can they not come up with an innovative idea for once in their companies lives? At least with the Vita they at least tried to innovate with rear touch panel capabilities, but this is just getting ridiculous. Sony I sincerely hope you change your plans while you have the time. Maybe then will I consider dropping money on this travesty.
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or a case of not reading the OP. It's pretty stupid either way.

Assuming build quality is not-final, It looks pretty decent.

Not sure how useful that touchpad is going to be in practice though.

Top image looks so much better (in style & build quality).

I couldn't agree more. The leaked one just doesn't look appealing to me at all. Looks bulky and clunky.

It also looks like the square/triangle/etc buttons are smaller and further apart from each other than previous controllers?

SJRB

Gold Member
Sony has no shame. Are they really going to try to sell screens on controllers having seen Nintendo innovate that approach with the WiiU? Ripping off rumble from the N64 controller, motion controls with the Sixaxis, and now SCREENS with this unnamed PS4 controller, I have never been more disappointed. Can they not come up with an innovative idea for once in their companies lives? At least with the Vita they at least tried to innovate with rear touch panel capabilities, but this is just getting ridiculous. Sony I sincerely hope you change your plans while you have the time. Maybe then will I consider dropping money on this travesty.

I'm having a hard time figuring out if this is sarcarm or genuine.

jgmo870

Banned
Vita's d-pad? Yessss.

Do you not understand what a screen is? Because the PS4's controller doesn't have one.

Guess Who

Banned

zvD3g.gif

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Wow I think that looks pretty damn good, the D-pad looks EXCELLENT and Im assuming the L2/R2 triggers will be made similar to Real Triggers. No doubt it will be tweaked here and there before launch to perfection.

HYPE HYPE HYPE.

Top Bottom