• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

GulAtiCa

My Super Scope came today! Looking forward to trying it out. Oddly, I don't remember having the game Super Scope 6 when I got it when I was a kid. I always only had Yoshi's Safari. And before anyone guesses, no it wasn't a bundle, as I had Yoshi's Safari and then got the Super Scope afterwards once we realized it was needed. Maybe I got it, barely played it and lost it.

9Edrk6.jpeg

K0exqr.jpeg

Michan

SF-1 (SNES TV) arrived today!

This thing is AMAZING. I've never seen such perfect image quality for native SNES games.

Will post pictures (including comparison shots) soon.

My recent scores:

Sealed F-Zero for $12 thanks to this thread.
Super Star Wars for $6. Always wanted to try it out.

Today I won this lot. Super Metroid was stealth listed and it had no bids for the longest time. Sold for my absolute maximum snipe. I will probably resell the other 8 games to hopefully get Super Metroid for cheaper than I would normally have had to pay. Are any of the other games worth keeping? I already have Killer Instinct boxed.

Parallacs

SF-1 (SNES TV) arrived today!

This thing is AMAZING. I've never seen such perfect image quality for native SNES games.

Will post pictures (including comparison shots) soon.

Very cool. I had never heard of this before now. The way it was meant to be played.

My recent scores:

Today I won this lot. Super Metroid was stealth listed and it had no bids for the longest time. Sold for my absolute maximum snipe. I will probably resell the other 8 games to hopefully get Super Metroid for cheaper than I would normally have had to pay. Are any of the other games worth keeping? I already have Killer Instinct boxed.

Nice, great deal for metroid and the others. I always just do "SNES" or "Super Nintendo" searches, regardless of what game I am looking for, to pick up on lazy auctions like that one. You might as well play them all and then sell them. The only ones I have (besides metroid and KI) are Animaniacs and Uniracers.

Uniracers is of course excellent and only worth about $5 so you might as well keep that.

Animaniacs is kinda bad. I typically love Konami and Capcom platformers. This one is just too busy and random.

Wrestling games are great fun, but that one is LJN, so it probably sucks. I don't think any of the other games are worth more than a buck, but I have no clue what that top left one is.

My recent scores:

You might be underwhelmed. I just tried mine out for the first time since I was a kid and it was terrible. I think the sequels were better

Parallacs

You might be underwhelmed. I just tried mine out for the first time since I was a kid and it was terrible. I think the sequels were better

Indeed. By the fourth level, you will be tearing your hair out at the difficulty. Vehicle/ship sections are shockingly painful. Plus the fact that there are no passwords sucks.

The other two are much better. Difficulty is still there but at least there are passwords and the levels are really fun.

Edit: if you are not getting far in Super Star Wars, try Super Return of the Jedi. It is really easy compared to the other two. (Sorta the Mega Man 2 of the series)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
My Super Scope came today! Looking forward to trying it out. Oddly, I don't remember having the game Super Scope 6 when I got it when I was a kid. I always only had Yoshi's Safari. And before anyone guesses, no it wasn't a bundle, as I had Yoshi's Safari and then got the Super Scope afterwards once we realized it was needed. Maybe I got it, barely played it and lost it.
I believe there was a release of the Super Scope which did not include the Super Scope 6 game. I was at a used game shop and they had 2 boxed super scopes, one package didn't mention a pack-in game at all.

Zing

Banned
It is a rather odd phenomenon how much Earthbound commands on eBay. There are so many listed. Compare this to truly rare games such as Mega Man X3 and it makes me wonder if the other rare games are underpriced.

Speaking of which, if anyone has a spare X2 or X3, let me know. I've finished the first game and want to continue the series.

I'm currently playing through Pilotwings for the first time in 20 years. I don't remember if I completed it back in the day, but I am stuck trying to get gold expert license. Skydiving always kills me. I'm also playing through Final Fantasy III for the first time. Well, technically not the first time, since I played it at release but never finished.

Parallacs

It is a rather odd phenomenon how much Earthbound commands on eBay. There are so many listed. Compare this to truly rare games such as Mega Man X3 and it makes me wonder if the other rare games are underpriced.

Yeah. Earthbound isn't a rare game. It is barely even in uncommon territory. Here is an old list from Racketboy of rare games that are actually cheap (though maybe not underpriced).

The Rarest Games At Affordable Prices

Each of these games have a rarity rating of 7 or 8, but routinely sell for less than $30. If you are an SNES collector and see a boxed or sealed copy of any of these on eBay for a low price, you might want to snatch them up — you may never see them again.

Fun N Games: $29 – $39
Super Turrican 2: $21-$52
Chavez II: $20 – $42
Shien’s Revenge: $18 – $41
Zero: The Kamikazee Squirrel: $18 – $38
Ardy Lightfoot: $19 – $28
Oscar: $15 – $35
The Ren & Stimpy Show: Fire Dogs: $13 – $36
Hurricanes: $10 – $20
Pieces: $11 – $15
Incantation: $15 – $25
Bebe’s Kids: $15 – $17
Casper: $12 – $18
The Adventures of Kid Kleetz: $4 – $15
No Escape: $5 – $6
The Miracle Piano Teaching System: $16 – $25

Of these, I own Fun N Games, though it has climbed to $60 and sucks.

johnsmith

remember me
Yeah. Earthbound isn't a rare game. It is barely even in uncommon territory. Here is an old list from Racketboy of rare games that are actually cheap (though maybe not underpriced).

Of these, I own Fun N Games, though it has climbed to $60 and sucks.

Nobody remembers, cares about, or wants to play those games. People love and want to play Earthbound. It's not really odd or hard to understand at all.

Parallacs

Nobody remembers, cares about, or wants to play those games. People love and want to play Earthbound. It's not really odd or hard to understand at all.

It is somewhat odd. Earthbound is the only SNES game that is common that still commands a high price. There are twice as many (311 auctions) copies of Earthbound on eBay as there are of Chrono Trigger (160). Chrono Trigger is only going for $50 despite being a better game.

And I don't think a $130 difference is just due to not being on virtual console.

Indeed. By the fourth level, you will be tearing your hair out at the difficulty. Vehicle/ship sections are shockingly painful. Plus the fact that there are no passwords sucks.

The other two are much better. Difficulty is still there but at least there are passwords and the levels are really fun.

Edit: if you are not getting far in Super Star Wars, try Super Return of the Jedi. It is really easy compared to the other two. (Sorta the Mega Man 2 of the series)

Thanks for the input I always wondered which one was the best. I'll keep an eye out for a cheap Return of the Jedi

I read this whole thread, but maybe I missed your follow up. Yes, it is a Wega. It is the FS100, a very common, but relatively recent model and overall pleasurable to use.

I appreciate the response but unfortunately the seller never got back to me. Oh well it seems like those Wegas are pretty common.

Michan

A must-have for all SNES collectors: the Sharp SF-1 (SNES TV).

It arrived today so I haven't had much of a chance to clean it yet, but I wanted to share some photos with my fellow SNES-collecting GAFfers!

The round button is reset, the switch is power (for the SNES, separate from the TV), and the button on the right is eject. On the back of this panel is the multi-out and EXT port.

It comes in two different models – 14G-SF1/14" and 21G-SF1/21" (this is the 21G), and has a custom SFC controller with a nice, long cable:

The best thing about the SF-1 (aside from the fact that it plays SNES games... in your TV!) is the unprecedented image quality. From Wikipedia:

By merging the SNES and the television into one unit, the Sharp SF-1 avoided the problem of exposed power cords and other cables. This gave the unit the advantage of being easier to handle. With internally connected SNES-SF1 terminals, luminance and chrominance signals could be separated,[2] and the resulting image quality was notably sharper than other non-hybrid SNES setups.

I tried to take some photos of the screen, but it's tricky to capture how good this thing looks. The ghosting is non-existent, and the clarity is just unprecedented.

Once you see it in-person... my god, it's beautiful. I am never going back to SNES hardware.

Right click/view the images to see them in hi-res.

BocoDragon

I tried to take some photos of the screen, but it's tricky to capture how good this thing looks. The ghosting is non-existent, and the clarity is just unprecedented.

Once you see it in-person... my god, it's beautiful. I am never going back to SNES hardware.

Right click/view the images to see them in hi-res.

It's probably just a direct RGB connection. You could probably get the same clarity on any RGB monitor, a SNES and a SCART cable.

But great find. Very cool. What a conservation piece it will be, and good to hear that it's great quality.

Michan

It's probably just a direct RGB connection. You could probably get the same clarity on any RGB monitor, a SNES and a SCART cable.

But great find. Very cool. What a conservation piece it will be, and good to hear that it's great quality.

It looks like there are actually 2 video signals, rather than the standard 1 signal. It looks about as good as an emulated SNES game, except much better since it's on a tube TV!

They usually go for 3 - 400$ on Yahoo Auctions when they pop up, but I found this "junk" unit for 20. Apparently it didn't work, so I planned to mod an SFC into it, but after getting it home and trying it out, it worked perfectly! They probably tried a dodgy cartridge.

BocoDragon

It looks like there are actually 2 video signals, rather than the standard 1 signal. It looks about as good as an emulated SNES game, except much better since it's on a tube TV!

The way they describe that "luminance and chrominance signals could be separated" makes it sound like s-video... but it seems even better looking than that.

They usually go for 3 - 400$ on Yahoo Auctions when they pop up, but I found this "junk" unit for 20. Apparently it didn't work, so I planned to mod an SFC into it, but after getting it home and trying it out, it worked perfectly! They probably tried a dodgy cartridge.

Whaaaaa? Crazy good deal bro! Amazing! Are you in Japan or did you ship it?

Michan

The way they describe that "luminance and chrominance signals could be separated" makes it sound like s-video... but it seems even better looking than that.
That sounds about right. It'll be interesting to open this up and have a look inside. Perhaps when I'm feeling brave I'll do it and report back.

Whaaaaa? Crazy good deal bro! Amazing! Are you in Japan or did you ship it?
I've been in Tokyo for about half a year, but have only just started collecting this month. Once you learn what to look for and where to look for it, it becomes a SNES collector's dream!

GulAtiCa

It is somewhat odd. Earthbound is the only SNES game that is common that still commands a high price. There are twice as many (311 auctions) copies of Earthbound on eBay as there are of Chrono Trigger (160). Chrono Trigger is only going for $50 despite being a better game.

And I don't think a $130 difference is just due to not being on virtual console.
The difference is that the only way to play Earthbound legit is on the SNES cart. Where Chrono Trigger is everywhere on nearly all platforms for cheap. So demand will likely be higher

I always has been a Sega boy as a kid. I had the Master System, then a Megadrive. Love much of it, but my brother had a SNES late in my childhood (so I never played it much). Now at 40 years old, I feel the urge to collect old videogames and some memories. This thread really made me want to buy a SNES, but considering that I always buy complete stuff (including boxes and manuals) I believe it will be madness as someone already pointed out.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I always has been a Sega boy as a kid. I had the Master System, then a Megadrive. Love much of it, but my brother had a SNES late in my childhood (so I never played it much). Now at 40 years old, I feel the urge to collect old videogames and some memories. This thread really made me want to buy a SNES, but considering that I always buy complete stuff (including boxes and manuals) I believe it will be madness as someone already pointed out.

Nah not madness, you just need to be selective and patient.

GulAtiCa

Nah not madness, you just need to be selective and patient.

Yep. I really only buy CIB games if it's a game that is one of my favorites or dear to me from my childhood. Even then, I'm still only paying $20 or $30 at a time. I'll only go crazy for CIB on my top favorite games like Soul Blazer.

I believe there was a release of the Super Scope which did not include the Super Scope 6 game. I was at a used game shop and they had 2 boxed super scopes, one package didn't mention a pack-in game at all.
Yeah you are probably right.

Zing

Banned
Anyone getting into CIB at this time must be crazy.

I collect to play, so I have no need for boxes. Any boxes I acquire get resold. I do seek out manuals, maps, and such. Anything that actually affects playing the game. I don't use any FAQs or outside help, so I actually read the manual and use the charts provided. It's cheaper than CIB, but more difficult to find. It's not often these days that people sell just manuals, so any cart-only acquisition is usually a waste of time.

I keep all my games on a wood CD shelf in the closet. CD size is perfect for NES and SNES games. Manuals are kept alphabetically in a stack.

I play my games on a Sony KV-27FV310, the epitome of consumer sets for retro gaming. It has a high voltage regulator, the only TV I found to do so. This means no distortion whatsoever on bright images. I can turn contrast to max and lines are still perfectly straight. It also has an internal subwoofer. I was skeptical, but once I heard it, the improvement was obvious. No need for external speakers to get great sound. It also has the expected 3D digital comb filter and two s-video inputs.

8071474466_6863971ef5.jpg

I previously used a KV-32F120, which is relatively common. Once I saw the specs of the 310, I knew I had to upgrade. After moving the 32" up and down stairs three times, I knew I never wanted to move a heavy TV again. So I went for a 27", which is reasonable for two people to carry.

-KRS-

Huh, I just remembered that I also have one of those SNES Super Scopes with the box and instructions in one of my drawers. Actually, I think I never even tried it after buying it! It was just really cheap off of a friend, so that's why I bought it. But I never tried it haha. I should correct that.

E: Also, that's a sick TV up there. Seems perfect for retro games. I have a 32" Trinitron but it's wide-screen and 100/120hz with a flat picture tube, so not perfect. And yeah those Trinitrons are heavy as fuck. Mine easily weighs 75kg. So a smaller TV is definitely more convenient for moving around.

Zing

Banned
I thought the interesting part was that they were actually going to bring it over as Final Fantasy Adventure 2.
I don't think this is true. It was just Nintendo Power guessing. Super Play magazine had a quote from someone at Square, and the game was always planned to be either "The Search for Mana" or "The Secret of Mana". The person specifically mentioned that it would not be sold as a sequel as it was in Japan.

Parallacs

I play my games on a Sony KV-27FV310, the epitome of consumer sets for retro gaming. It has a high voltage regulator, the only TV I found to do so. This means no distortion whatsoever on bright images. I can turn contrast to max and lines are still perfectly straight. It also has an internal subwoofer. I was skeptical, but once I heard it, the improvement was obvious. No need for external speakers to get great sound. It also has the expected 3D digital comb filter and two s-video inputs.

Any significant downgrade for the KV-27FV300? I might get one off craigslist for $50 today.

Peagles

No, thank you. I was hoping someone else would buy it so I couldn't!

Hehe! Ahhh that old trick. I did that yesterday with a copy of Twilight Princess on GC. It was $70 NZD which is about half the normal going price, but I already have a copy so I was just checking it and refreshing it until someone else bought it.

SMRPG is going to work out to about $100 NZD once it goes via my US address which is SO CRAZY... The last one I saw at our local auction site was nearing $300 NZD!

It's so hard to get American games here. There aren't many I want bad though so I'm well on my way now thanks to gaf! (I got FF2 and FF3 from the BST as my very first trade!)

Funny enough, that was once my copy several years ago...haha but it's languished in that game shop for several years, it was like an official part of the store...they were very sad to see it leave!

You gave me itchy. I am contemplating a complete Super Ghouls n' Ghosts (including all the flyers) here. Expensive, it will cost me around US$ 85. Worth it?

Parallacs

Fox Mulder

Nothing special, but got the following cheap at a pawn shop today:

NBA jam
Toy story
Xmen mutant apocalypse
Super punch out
Jurassic park
Power rangers the movie (the superior genesis version)

All in good working condition and games I didn't already have.

Nothing special, but got the following cheap at a pawn shop today:

NBA jam
Toy story
Xmen mutant apocalypse
Super punch out
Jurassic park
Power rangers the movie (the superior genesis version)

All in good working condition and games I didn't already have.

I was curious about things like this seeing as how I'm getting into SNES collecting and Genesis collecting after that. Obviously there will be a lot of this that is up to preference but I was wondering about the differences in some games across Genesis to SNES. Is there a site that outlines the differences so I can best choose which version I'd like to get?

I was curious about things like this seeing as how I'm getting into SNES collecting and Genesis collecting after that. Obviously there will be a lot of this that is up to preference but I was wondering about the differences in some games across Genesis to SNES. Is there a site that outlines the differences so I can best choose which version I'd like to get?

Wikipedia has a surprisingly decent list of some of the changes between the different versions of the game.

I think I recall both the Genesis and SNES versions having an entirely different OST, too.

Zing

Banned
Any significant downgrade for the KV-27FV300? I might get one off craigslist for $50 today.
The only major difference I could find is the high voltage power regulator. It still has the subwoofer and other features. When I was planning to upgrade from my FS120, I came close to giving in and getting a 300, but lucked out and a 310 appeared shortly. The 300 is probably the second best model. I suggest getting it, especially if it has the matching stand. I paid more than I would have liked to for my 310, but people around here are still in the mindset of "I paid over $1000 for this thing six years ago".

The only major difference I could find is the high voltage power regulator. It still has the subwoofer and other features. When I was planning to upgrade from my FS120, I came close to giving in and getting a 300, but lucked out and a 310 appeared shortly. The 300 is probably the second best model. I suggest getting it, especially if it has the matching stand. I paid more than I would have liked to for my 310, but people around here are still in the mindset of "I paid over $1000 for this thing six years ago".

I just found a FS210 on craigslist. Is the definitive one considered the 310?

Zing

Banned
I have never heard of the FS210. I checked the manual and it seems just as good as any other standard Wega. It seems comparable to the FS100 or FS120. Basically it's an entry level set. No subwoofer or other high end features. The only real complaint I would have is that there is only one s-video. I need two for my SNES and PSone.

I'm fairly picky about my TVs and I did not want to go through the hassle of transporting another CRT, so I made sure this would be the last one I needed.

Fox Mulder

I just mostly know from experience and some YouTube videos.

It's fun to see the differences, as its completely different from how games are developed today across platforms.

Parallacs

Thanks. I got another better FV300 for $60. Thank God I had someone to help me move it. Funny how I could probably carry a 27" flatscreen with one hand, yet it took two grown men some effort to carry the wega down a flight of stairs.

Unfortunately, no matching stand. I was limited on time and I only saw two Wegas that weren't FS100s. I wonder how often the 310 comes up on Craig's.

Ebay alert:
Super Metroid $30 + $4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Metro...0140?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item35c4b7178c

I hear it is a pretty good game

Teknoman

I dunno about the gameplay, but the SNES MMPR movie game's soundtrack is top notch.

That being said... SFC or SNES version for Castlevania IV?

Top Bottom