• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub (Evolution Studios/PS4) announcement trailer. [PS3 WHEELS ARE SUPPORTED]

They should share assets with Gran Turismo, what would be a win-win situation, GT could have more premuim cars faster and Driveclub will gain access to all the current premium models.
Kind of what Forza do with Motorsport and Horizon.

Im not sure if i commented this game before but i like the way it looks, very nice and i get a Project Gotham Racing vibe from it, which is great. I like the idea of having a second racing game on Playstation, make my justification to buy a console much easier, before was mainly my Gran Turismo machine.

I hope they can get Ferrari and Lamborghini license.

Also, this game is suppose to be first person view ONLY?? if so i think its a very bold move that could backfire, lots of arcade game players does it from a third person view. I play from first person but most of times the cockpit view is too obstructive and im much faster in the hood view. I know its more spectacular from cockpit view but it cost me atleast a second in Forza Motorsport and Gran Turismo.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
What? You do realise you are comparing GT5 to a next-gen game right?

well Kazunori Yamauchi is the one who said this BS
“The level of precision we’ve achieved [in GT5] is actually more suited to the next generation of machines. The detail that goes into a premium model [has] gone beyond the level of the current PlayStation.”
http://www.gtplanet.net/gt5s-premium-cars-go-beyond-ps3s-capabilities/

they are not next gen quality,PD guys better make GT6 from scratch since what they did in GT5 (tracks and cars) wont cut it, hopefully they don't think of just upscaling all of their old assets to PS4.

Stark

Banned
Well MotorStorm Apocalypse was released spring 2011, so some point after that ;)

There are over 120 talented and enthusiastic people working at Evolution Studios right now, and we're looking for more C++ Programmers http://www.evos.net/

And I wish I could answer all of the questions being asked in this thread, but I'm not allowed to just yet. Rest assured every detail shared about Driveclub will be relayed here to keep you all up to date.

Thanks, I was curious about when development started.

So I was right- Most of the IP/Sequel's started in 2011.

well Kazunori Yamauchi is the one who said this BS

http://www.gtplanet.net/gt5s-premium-cars-go-beyond-ps3s-capabilities/

they are not next gen quality,PD guys better make GT6 from scratch since what they did in GT5 (tracks and cars) wont cut it, hopefully they don't think of just upscaling all of their old assets to PS4.

How is that bullshit? The fact that you get more detailed models in photo travel then when racing already means that the models are beyond the level PS3 can handle. They're so detailed that they can only displayed them when there's 1 car on screen in a small area. And we don't even know if that's the full detail they have.

You are also comparing what's most likely going to be a 30fps game to a what most definitely going to be a 60fps one.

jett

D-Member
DriveClub1024.gif

Too big? lol

Are you using that as an impression or are you saying PDs models are shit?

LOL I just meant that I doubt PD shares anything. They seem to be hermetic as all fuck.

DBT85

I also heard that most dev kits have about 2.2 gb of ram so I wonder if all launch games have only used that much.

If you are talking about the Kotaku article about the early Dev Kits then they had (according to the article) 8GB of system ram which would have been DDR3 and 2.2GB (this number still baffles me) of GDDR5 on whatever graphics card they dropped in to act like the final GPU.

I think there were newer dev kits with closer to final specs though. But none were rumoured to be expecting 8GB of GDDR5 in the final console.

sn00zer

I'm not sure that it's open world. Matt used the word "track" in his presentation, and the official description says that we'll drive on some of the most exotic locations around the world. So it doesn't necessarily sound open world.

If it's not open world then I hope that one of the tracks is the Transfagarasan Pass

transfagarasan5x3cbl.jpg

Ive been there...absolutely amazing

Double H

"Obviously, I can't speak on behalf of [Polyphony]," Southern said. "We were asked to come up with a racer for new hardware. It's the fourth time we've been asked, and our answer is always, 'Shit, yeah!' We love that stuff. It's hard, but it's super, super exciting ... We came with a completely unfettered, uncompromised vision for the game that we wanted to make from the heart."

"You know these things are called companion apps — its a really insulting name and makes it sound like it's this optional, trivial extension of the core experience," Southern said. "For us, Driveclub has real clubs that live across all or as many platforms and devices as possible. They're not companions. They're a key part of the experience that we can all tap into."

"There is something clearly very incredible about the way that people play games on those networks compared to the way that people traditionally play online multiplayer console games," Southern said. "I mean, they are at right opposite ends of the spectrum. One is full of people who will humiliate you and insult you and embarrass you in real-time. And the other, and I think the key is because it's an asynchronous experience, feels incredibly welcoming, friendly and engaging, most of the time."

Some sound bites from Matt Southern: http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/23/40...of-evolutions-unfettered-uncompromised-vision

Stark

Banned
I really like what I'm hearing. Especially about the "squad" racing. Can imagine just doing fun shit in challenges.

Also, does this comment confirm dynamic weather?!

As the sun sets and the dashboard lights come on," Southern said, "you see the light suddenly reflected in the windscreen, and you show these to the guys that really make these cars — they've got just as much passion for what they do as we do for making virtual versions."

thuway

Well MotorStorm Apocalypse was released spring 2011, so some point after that ;)

There are over 120 talented and enthusiastic people working at Evolution Studios right now, and we're looking for more C++ Programmers http://www.evos.net/

And I wish I could answer all of the questions being asked in this thread, but I'm not allowed to just yet. Rest assured every detail shared about Driveclub will be relayed here to keep you all up to date.

60 fps!!!

Zep

Banned
Looking at only the thread title , I was thinking another Test Drive game. This looks great but I wish I was right.

I know the YT video was encoded at 30fps, but it had a 60fps feel to it. Like when someone uploads a PC game running at 60fps on YT and encoded at 30fps, you can still tell that it was running at 60fps. Maybe it's just me....

Mascot

I know the YT video was encoded at 30fps, but it had a 60fps feel to it. Like when someone uploads a PC game running at 60fps on YT and encoded at 30fps, you can still tell that it was running at 60fps. Maybe it's just me....

There's no way, NO WAY, a developer can ooze such passion about their racing game if they are targeting 30fps.
60fps should be the very first tick box on a game like this, especially on a machine as powerful as the PS4.

If they aren't sharing, Sony is the stupidest goddamn company in existence. There is ZERO use in having two INTERNAL companies competing like that. They need to boost each other as much as possible.

Trickster

maybe it will have the feel of 60fps

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
If they aren't sharing, Sony is the stupidest goddamn company in existence. There is ZERO use in having two INTERNAL companies competing like that. They need to boost each other as much as possible.

They're not really competing, they are different enough to have their own markets. With GT coming out so slowly they could really do with another racer to fill the gap.

Competition is usually good anyway.

Didn't this start off under the GT brand?

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I absolutely love the Motorstorm series; they're some of my favorite racing games of all time. I'm also a big fan of World Rally Championship - rally racing is the only type of sim racing I've found I enjoy. I hate to say it but I'm disappointed from what I've seen of Drive Club... it's such a departure from what I loved from Evolution.

I'll still give it a try because I believe in those guys ability to craft a racing game where the control of the vehicles feels incredibly satisfying, but the direction they've taken this one seems to be an area of racing that I usually find bland. I hope it's still an arcade racer and not a sim.

This is one of my most anticipated PS4 games and I can't wait for more info on it. Though lack of official screenshots (only found the mercedes one) is a bit unusual.

Thanks for the answer. I really like that you're being as transparent as possible.
I can't wait for the game, it looks stunning. I hope to see you/your team on stage at E3!:)

Kyoufu

Rushy is awesome. All the way back from the NTSC-uk days. Fully trust Evolution to deliver a solid racing game. I've been down on racing games for a long time but a team based racing game definitely has me excited.

And yes, 60fps would be lovely but I don't see that happening.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
If we get Nurbergring at this fidelity and I can just go for a nice drive on my own and set the time to sun set or sun rise, then I'll be there day 1.

One of my favourite things to do in GT5 is to just jump on for a nice drive.

Indeed, it seems rather silly to have two driving studios not sharing assists of some sort, the expense alone of scanning all these cars for two developers separately can't be cheap.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
They're not really competing, they are different enough to have their own markets. With GT coming out so slowly they could really do with another racer to fill the gap.

Competition is usually good anyway.

Didn't this start off under the GT brand?

No,going with rumors they just wanted to have the well known GT name on the title (GT:DriveClub ..just Like Forza Horizon) but Kazunori Yamauchi refused.

Perkel

Banned
it would be awesome if you could spectate as pasenger.

It would be hilarious to have gestures like fuck you to show other drivers

I mean in gta you could do that with 4 friends already so why not with rqcing game.

FordGTGuy

Banned

Pretty much, look at the amount of assets Forza Horizon was able to get from Forza Motorsport 4, if it wasn't for those assets Horizon wouldn't have been nearly as good.

solarus

Welli guess they are the stupidest, i doubt any assets are going to be shared. Would be great to have the next gt have it's dev cycle sped up.

wouwie

Some things i'm wondering about/hoping for:
- real world locations?
- full single player experience
- day/night transitions or fixed day/night?
- wheather transitions or fixed?
- damage?

Knowing Sony (where every 1st party studio is apparently building it's own engine), it would surprise me that car models are shared with PD. In the conference, i think they mentioned an inhouse developped photo capture tool or something like that? Seems crazy not to share though.

Some things i'm wondering about/hoping for:
- real world locations?
- full single player experience
- day/night transitions or fixed day/night?
- wheather transitions or fixed?
- damage?

Knowing Sony (where every 1st party studio is apparently building it's own engine), it would surprise me that car models are shared with PD. In the conference, i think they mentioned an inhouse developped photo capture tool or something like that? Seems crazy not to share though.

Wondering about this myself. Like the club idea but won't be buying it if I can't play a good SP.

I also think they should pit racers from different regions/countries against each other, Nth America vs Europe vs Asia, Italy vs Japan etc with each region's particular cars.

I can't imagine them releasing an online only, which is what this would be if it didn't have some sort of single player mode. Matt mentioned something about how it's not always about racing and that there are different types of events. So that could easily breakdown into a fun single player mode, even if the meat of the game is in the online modes.

Sorc3r3r

@Rushi

Can you share if the game will be compatible with the wheel?
And DC has been programmed with that in mind?

It seems that i can can enjoy racers only with a wheel, the pad is good only with arcade racers, i mean i've no problem to play MS with the pad or NFS over that that become less and less enjoyable.

I hoping you can answer...
bye

Baki

Are you sharing assets with PD.

yurinka

The new gameplay ideas from MotorStorm RC were awesome, loved this Vita game. Motorstorm Apocalypse also included something I love : to give different goals to each player so to end 1st is not always what do you want to achieve in multiplayer racers so you don't get fustrated always losing against pros.

DriveClub seems to showcase great visuals, and hints great social features. Can't wait, but I'd love arcade (Motorstorm, Wipeout, Blur, Metropolis Street Racer) gameplay instead of simulator (GT) gameplay.

Do we know which kind of gameplay is going to feature?

Due to the FPS nature of the game I'd love to see head tracking implemented to move the camera.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
oh, these are the MotorStorm guys?

well consider me somewhat hyped.

MS:pR was my favorite racing game last gen.

cant wait to see DriveClub in action.
hope to see another MS from those guys as well.

*cough*racinggamesdontneedastory*cough*

Arucardo

The whole asset sharing discussion is pretty interesting to me. For as long as I can remember I've wondered when game development reaches a point where the fidelity of the assets is so high that you won't gain anything from "re-inventing the camera" for every game. I have a feeling that this is getting more and more common between first party studios and publisher owned studios.

There's only so many ways you can model the same gun or car model and if you do a high enough quality model there's no reason to do it all over again for another project. I'm actually wondering if places like EA have huge libraries of "stock" models for developers to use. I'm genuinely interested to see how many people would even notice if the same potted plant or the same chair starts appearing in multiple games.

There's also the obvious advantage of cost, you can use the man hours needed to remodel that same chair for doing some original assets instead.

The whole asset sharing discussion is pretty interesting to me. For as long as I can remember I've wondered when game development reaches a point where the fidelity of the assets is so high that you won't gain anything from "re-inventing the camera" for every game. I have a feeling that this is getting more and more common between first party studios and publisher owned studios.

There's only so many ways you can model the same gun or car model and if you do a high enough quality model there's no reason to do it all over again for another project. I'm actually wondering if places like EA have huge libraries of "stock" models for developers to use. I'm genuinely interested to see how many people would even notice if the same potted plant or the same chair starts appearing in multiple games.

There's also the obvious advantage of cost, you can use the man hours needed to remodel that same chair for doing some original assets instead.

Personally, I'm surprised the game industry hasn't worked more with the licensees to have them take the responsibility of providing the wire mesh of their own properties.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan

One question, though. I think I saw a RUF CTR3 in the teaser, but will there be any chance in hell that Sony can wrangle a Porsche sublicense from EA? I know Kaz was disappointed that he couldn't get Porsche into Gran Turismo 5, but still, any chance?

Top Bottom