• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are men more romantic than women?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that as a gay man my perception might be distorted, but I feel we are. Granted there'll always be those wanna be tough guys, but times have changed. Women are not as romantic as they used to be either. Of course I'm not basing it on any studies, it's just my opinion.

Edit: This is not meant to come off offensive, I just wanted to see people's opinion here.

Ancedotes doesn't mean it applies to billions of other people you've never met.

Like most of every other behavior that's brought up in GAF, it just really depends on the person.

akira28

I dunno...I would say yes. Then again...maybe women don't act romantic because they don't think men would appreciate it? Write me some poetry. And it better be good too.

i think we can only say Western culture. I know some Asian girls that are romantic as fuck.

Well I can't say I didn't expect that. I think we deserve a bit more credit than we get though.

Then don't bother with the question you already know the answer to, breakdown what you don't like about the stereotypes surrounding the male gender and romance.

Also you really need to define "romantic." It's a pet peeve of mine lately when someone says something so broad and also so subjective.

Yes they are. Men are way more romantic.

Learn something like tango. Men's role in that dance takes years to learn. Women have it much easier, only having to follow, and or let themselves be driven.

But the level of romanticism depends on different cultures, i'm from a latin country so its cliche my views would be this way.

Rayis

I guess it has to do with the whole chivalry thing and men having to "court" women to gain their affection, more of a cultural thing I believe, both genders can be romantic though

I like how Ryan Gosling's character puts it in Blue Valentine:

"I feel like men are more romantic than women. When we get married we marry, like, one girl, 'cause we're resistant the whole way until we meet one girl and we think I'd be an idiot if I didn't marry this girl she's so great. But it seems like girls get to a place where they just kinda pick the best option... 'Oh he's got a good job.' I mean they spend their whole life looking for Prince Charming and then they marry the guy who's got a good job and is gonna stick around."

Then don't bother with the question you already know the answer to, breakdown what you don't like about the stereotypes surrounding the male gender and romance.

Also you really need to define "romantic." It's a pet peeve of mine lately when someone says something so broad and also so subjective.

I didn't mean I knew the answer, but that I thought some might react like that. It's not like I'm trying to offend anyone with my opinion. Of course it's subjective, I was simply curious about the board thought. I don't think I have to define what romantic is. I'm not complaining about gender stereotypes either.

Not sure if serious...but yes, I think that's true.

I'm only half serious. :) I highlighted 'forced' because I can't tell if some guys are actually romantic or just going through the paces to reach the goal.

However, I do think some men make a lot of effort (romantic gestures) to that end (whether sincere or with their eye on the prize), but plenty of women are also very thoughtful as well.

I didn't mean I knew the answer, but that I thought some might react like that. It's not like I'm trying to offend anyone with my opinion. Of course it's subjective, I was simply curious about the board thought. I don't think I have to define what romantic is. I'm not particularly complaining about gender stereotypes either.

Well you said men need more credit so what specifically did you mean by it? Anyway how I define romance is dependent on where someone is in their life, not their gender.

bjb

Banned
I think certain men don't have to be romantic. Take celebrities for example. I'll use Ne-yo. Put aside the fact he's bald with an oddly shaped head - he probably gets whatever he wants. Whenever he wants it. You think he worries about being romantic with a particular girl? He has women throwing themselves at him 24/7. It would be like a foreign concept to him.

I'd imagine there's plenty of famous women that fall into that same category.

Zzoram

Generalizations here. Women think up elaborate romantic ideas but rarely do anything romantic. Men have trouble thinking of romantic ideas but perform romantic acts more often. This is likely due to the societal training we have that tells us it is the man's responsibility to woo the woman and the woman just needs to look good.

iyKB2uf9rnmNl.gif

I like you Charles, but this was a bad idea.

Loofy

Women are more romantic. They do weird things like write their names attached to their dream husbands last names.

One time a girl wrote my name and instead of little dot above the 'i' she put a heart.
She probably did that because she thought it looked cute. I remember in school little details like that were pretty common when girls were writing stuff for fun and usually didn't mean much.

Maybe many women have gotten less romantic as they've always been on the receiving side of courtsmanship.

No generalization though, as I don't find myself very romantic, and neither do I find any of my friends very romantic.

My answer is yes.

Men are supposed to take the lead and are supposed to be romantic. This is a proces of hunderds of years.

Most women women I dated had no idea what romance is. Actually most women think romance is what they see in magazines or movies.

But when a man really love a woman, he can be very original and romantic.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
when i hear the adjective "romantic" i never think a woman.

i think women have another word for what they do, but it escapes me.

so the answer is "yes" because that word is usually used to describe a man when talking about romance. I just feel like it is a word to describe something a male does. Something like "handsome" vs. "beautiful." You don't call a man beautiful typically, but they both mean the same thing.

I like how Ryan Gosling's character puts it in Blue Valentine:

"I feel like men are more romantic than women. When we get married we marry, like, one girl, 'cause we're resistant the whole way until we meet one girl and we think I'd be an idiot if I didn't marry this girl she's so great. But it seems like girls get to a place where they just kinda pick the best option... 'Oh he's got a good job.' I mean they spend their whole life looking for Prince Charming and then they marry the guy who's got a good job and is gonna stick around."

hmmm, that makes a lot of sense.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Lovey-dovey?

maybe, but that's facetious.

if you were watching a movie where a bunch of guys were talking about what their wives did for them, would anyone have a line that says "My wife is so romantic."? I might not be sold on that line versus other words like "thoughtful" or something like that.

i did a quick search too, and i think most of the time when people refer to women being "romantic" it usually means they're not putting out -- its more of a euphemism when used in the context of a woman. this is from a search that is "my wife is romantic" and most of the results talk about how to be romantic TO your wife.

vio

I don`t know who is more romantic. But i think women do expect men to actually do romantic stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom