• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are men more romantic than women?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadAss2961

maybe, but that's facetious.

if you were watching a movie where a bunch of guys were talking about what their wives did for them, would anyone have a line that says "My wife is so romantic."? I might not be sold on that line versus other words like "thoughtful" or something like that.
Come to think of it, i've never heard a man refer to a woman as romantic.

if you were watching a movie where a bunch of guys were talking about what their wives did for them, would anyone have a line that says "My wife is so romantic."?

I don't think that's because they use different words, I think it's because that's just not something they talk about. Like when your buddies ask you about this new girl you're seeing you almost never talk about how funny she is, even if she is funny.

wildm4ninside

I think being romantic is a part of personality, maybe you can pretend to be romantic, but sooner or later your real nature comes out.
And this is true for both, men and women.

In my case, in my couple, the most romantic is my boyfriend (we are both men), he always does romantic things, he likes to plan romantic situations and stuff.
I simply don't think in a romantic way, except in some rare circumstances.

This is the one correct answer, so by default men must be more "romantic" in order to feed into the female need for romance...for the most unromantic of reasons.

But as has been said, you don't really hear a woman described as 'romantic' when she does something. It does seem like a word more oft used for men in relationships. We get the 'thoughtful' or 'caring' label when we do anything considered extra or above and beyond. It seems like an unfair comparison just based on common usage.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Unless you're in high school, romantic gestures toward (non-needy/desperate) women are usually counter-productive at the start, so faking them to get laid is pretty silly. You're usually going to come off as a fedora. Better to keep those sentiments for later in a relationship when it's a reinforcement of bonds that already exist.

Narolf

Banned
Unless you're in high school, romantic gestures toward (non-needy/desperate) women are usually counter-productive at the start, so faking them to get laid is pretty silly. You're usually going to come off as a fedora. Better to keep those sentiments for later in a relationship when it's a reinforcement of bonds that already exist.

Yep. Romanticism isn't meant for hitting on.

Log4Girlz

You shouldn't generalize. Not everyone is the same. Not every man is romantic, not every woman is either. Not everyone even wants romanticism in a relationship. Some men have vaginas, some women have penises. The human species is a varied tapestry of unique experiences.

Drencrom

All these generalizations

Truth

I hear so many gender specific characteristics that aren't gender specific at all. Silly generalisations.
It's like these people live in a one one dimensional world where all people are the same. Weird.

You shouldn't generalize. Not everyone is the same. Not every man is romantic, not every woman is either. Not everyone even wants romanticism in a relationship. Some men have vaginas, some women have penises. The human species is a varied tapestry of unique experiences.

most men have a penis and most women have a vagina.

that is a fact.

Yes they are. Men are way more romantic.

Learn something like tango. Men's role in that dance takes years to learn. Women have it much easier, only having to follow, and or let themselves be driven.

But the level of romanticism depends on different cultures, i'm from a latin country so its cliche my views would be this way.

Uh, no. Following in tango is one of the hardest follows there is. Women have to guess at a variety of figures since the lead can communicate in a limited way during tango. I'm also from a Latin country.

That said, romanticism is expressed in different ways by different genders.

Apeopleman

are we using fedora to describe a corny dating tactic now? Lol

kBguuzW.png

Opiate

First, defining what "romantic" means would be a chore in itself.

Assuming we can all sort of vaguely, generally get the gist of it, my guess would be that most of the generalized behaviors we see are culturally enforced; that is, men are implicitly guided to be less romantic because it is perceived as less manly. Absent cultural influences, the distinctions might be very small.

On the other hand, I'm not convinced these distinctions are completely fabricated by culture, either. In almost all areas I've seen studies done, differences between male and female sexually have been observed even when cultural variables are controlled for as best possible. Further, as we all know, men and women have different sex hormones running through their bodies, so it shouldn't be surprising if different sexual behaviors are generally exhibited between the two sexes.

So to stop pontificating and sum up my point: the "romantic" differences between the sexes are mostly -- but probably not entirely -- a construct of our society. There are some noted differences between male and female sexuality and I'm generally wary of assumed absolute equivalence between the genders in this regard.

Then don't bother with the question you already know the answer to, breakdown what you don't like about the stereotypes surrounding the male gender and romance.

Also you really need to define "romantic." It's a pet peeve of mine lately when someone says something so broad and also so subjective.

But it is true! Men are more romantic. Have you ever seen a romantic comedy where the woman brings the guy flowers?

The answer to that is: no. You have not. And since art imitates life, it's the truth. Men are more romantic than women = fact. All men.

When I decide on a date, my girlfriend and I do to a fancy place like Red Lobster. When she's picking places? She goes to Wal-Mart or Fresh Market, cooks the stuff she bought and we eat at home, maybe with some candles lit. I have to take the responsibility of cracking her crab-leg shells so she won't maybe cut herself at Red Lobster. What sacrifice is she making in my name by cooking something herself? Seem a little one-sided to you, hmm?

I rest my case.

There are some noted differences between male and female sexuality and I'm generally wary of assumed absolute equivalence between the genders in this regard.
Ofcourse there are differences, especially because of hormones. I don't see how romantic behaviour is one of those differences though. Unless basic mating rituals are considered romantic :p.

Opiate

Ofcourse there are differences, especially because of hormones. I don't see how romantic behaviour is one of those differences though. Unless basic mating rituals are considered romantic :p.

I absolutely could be wrong.

Really what I'm saying is this; lacking any further data one way or the other, I typically find the best conclusion to be "most of our behavior is culturally conditioned, but not all of it."

That isn't always true, but again, lacking any better data that's typically the best bet, I find. It's sort of like betting "present trends continue" when forecasting the future of any field; not always right, but it's probably the best bet unless you have special knowledge about what is going to happen.

one_kill

I'm a practical romantic.

I've never bought my wife real flowers because they wither away. I bought her one plastic rose when we started dating because it'll last forever.

When we go to the movies, we only watch superhero or animated films. That's because chick flicks don't really have sfx worth seeing on the big screen (and they're boring too).

When we go out, I hold her hands. That's so I can stop her from going into shops just to look around.

Narolf

Banned
There are even 21 year olds who play God of War, Final Fantasy and Mario.

Yeah, always found this hobby-selection ludicrous myself. My cousin, who is 15 years old, got into FF (thanks to me who is 21, coincidentally) precisely because it reminded her of Twilight. She kicked in with FFXIII. All those time-wasters are as worthwhile and ridiculous. That's all.

Then don't bother with the question you already know the answer to, breakdown what you don't like about the stereotypes surrounding the male gender and romance.

Also you really need to define "romantic." It's a pet peeve of mine lately when someone says something so broad and also so subjective.

Wow. You're a big bag of sunshine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom