• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Replicant

I agree with the relaxing thing. It's weird, but you've hit the nail on the head perfectly.

I do kind of agree with you on the whole Japanese setting thing - though this isn't EXACTLY Japan, is it? >_>

Well, it's a non-existent, fictional Japan (it's supposed to be the remains from Kamakura period), I suppose. It's a missing region or something like that, if I understood the story correctly. I don't think there's such thing as 'Dragon Triangle' (a send off of 'Bermuda Triangle'?).

I do like how huge the Island feels at times. It's like, "Ooh, I know where I need to go but where will that other path leads to? What will i get if I go up there? Wait, how about that rooftop?" etc etc.

Nemesis_

Well, it's a non-existent, fictional Japan, I suppose. It's a missing region or something like that, if I understood the story correctly. I don't think there's such thing as 'Dragon Triangle' (a send off of 'Bermuda Triangle'?).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon's_Triangle

The Devil's Sea (魔の海 Ma no Umi?), also known as the Dragon's Triangle, the Formosa (Taiwan) Triangle (traditional Chinese: 福爾摩沙三角; simplified Chinese: 福尔摩沙三角; pinyin: Fúěrmóshā Sānjiǎo) and the "Pacific Bermuda Triangle", is a region of the Pacific around Miyake Island, about 100 km south of Tokyo. The size and area varies with the report (the only reports stem from the 1950s), with various reports placing it 70 miles (110 km) from an unspecified part of Japan's east coast, 300 miles (480 km) from the coast, and even near Iwo Jima, 750 miles (1,210 km) from the coast.(Kusche:259-260)

I guess it kind of is.

I don't know why we're docking TR points for borrowing things from other games (ie. like UC) and then talking about how UC did the same thing as if it's a good thing.

Well, that's what I'm still kinda unsure about; whether TR is "borrowing" or whether it's erring more on the side of "stealing". Sure, there are only so many ways you can approach traversal and climbing in such a game, so I'm not going to scrutinize that, but things like the shooting model are so reminiscent of UC (the camera positioning, the cross-hairs, the general implementation of recoil, etc) that it's barely a stretch to think that they were trying to replicate it.

To put it another way, UC felt distinct when it came out and TR kinda doesn't.

I just hope there is enough variation on the island, to provide a sense of exploration. Far Cry 3's island was gorgeous for the first six hours, but then everything began to feel similar.

Considering it all takes place on the one island, the variation is truly fantastic. The game constantly changes scenery whilst keeping a great pace.......the island doesn't feel disjointed too.

Nemesis_

Well, that's what I'm still kinda unsure about; whether TR is "borrowing" or whether it's erring more on the side of "stealing". Sure, there are only so many ways you can approach traversal and climbing in such a game, so I'm not going to scrutinize that, but things like the shooting model are so reminiscent of UC (the camera positioning, the cross-hairs, the general implementation of recoil, etc) that it's barely a stretch to think that they were trying to replicate it.

....but now you're saying that Uncharted had similar mechanics to almost every third person shooter post-RE4. It's not something exclusive to Uncharted and for some reason we're docking points from TR for it doing what almost every other game in the genre also does.

To put it another way, UC felt distinct when it came out and TR kinda doesn't.

To me, all Uncharted did when it came out was add in more action sequences, up the ante in terms of graphical presentation, create more linear paths for the player and includes those "cinematic" sequences. I don't really feel like it was "distinct" at all bar characters and character interaction which wasn't really truly reached until Uncharted 2.

Not quite. Its merits are diminished because it takes that many cues that strictly from another game on the market that has a trademarked and somewhat formulaic style.

Think about it this way... If you play a new game and within 15 minutes you're thinking, 'holy shit, this is basically just X game', is this going to cast a negative or positive light on your impression?

Luckily for TR, it does enough right that ultimately, I can overlook its tendency to borrow and still appreciate it for what it is: a polished and entertaining game.

I understand that it has borrowed from Uncharted with a focused story and scripted events weaving the narrative together, but everything else is basically a (much, much) more polished version of what the previous games had been building up to with Underworld.

Tomb Raider's pacing has been perfect for my tastes and I love exploring the environments. Though this is an "origin" story, and thus CD were afforded more creative license with how they wanted the game to play, I do hope they take the series back "underground" because if this is a sign of the quality we'll be receiving with the next TR game, then it'll be almost perfect :p

It would be more detrimental if it did the things Uncharted did worse, but doing them better will just lead to the improvement of the genre... hopefully!

Graphic, so far it's pretty dark/greyish. If I hadn't pay attention to the story, I wouldn't have known that this is actually set in Japan. Yes, there are temples and all that but the lack of colors really don't do them justice. Also, from what I remember of my travel to Japan, the temple looks rather different. It's like Western interpretation of Japanese locales. So far there hasn't been a standout "Wow, look at that place" moment that I often had with Uncharted.

I take it you're near the beginning. You'll have your "wow" moments soon enough :p

Well, that's what I'm still kinda unsure about; whether TR is "borrowing" or whether it's erring more on the side of "stealing".

If there wasn't "borrowing" there wouldn't be progression.

Nemesis_

Have you finished Pho? I've just done the part where
you have to grab the dead Deer to move a pole so you can jump to a wall or something >______>
so how far am I near the end?

Also I was a little bit annoyed that during a scene with Roth and Lara
that they clearly eluded to her getting a second gun and she didn't

Have you finished Pho? I've just done the part where
you have to grab the dead Deer to move a pole so you can jump to a wall or something >______>
so how far am I near the end?

I haven't finished yet... oh that's
in the wolf cave?
If so I'm about an hour ahead, lol.

I'm trying to make it last but I'll probably finish it up tomorrow night when I come home from uni to "study".. lololololol.

Nemesis_

I haven't finished yet... oh that's
in the wolf cave?
If so I'm about an hour ahead, lol.

I'm trying to make it last but I'll probably finish it up tomorrow night when I come home from uni to "study".. lololololol.

I have been meaning to "study" for the past two days but I keep coming back to this. I figure it would be easier to get this out of the way so I don't keep on coming back. >_>

Replicant

Well, well, well. What do I know?

Speaking of Uncharted, it'll be nice if the next Uncharted is less linear and allows for secret tombs/exploration with maybe extra stories unrelated to the main mission.

I take it you're near the beginning. You'll have your "wow" moments soon enough :p

You don't mean the area near the
Wolf cave
? I've seen better during my trip to Japan. And yes, I'm an expert. :p

Nemesis_

True. Where are you up to? I think what I mentioned earlier might be wrong >_>

Haha. I just finished that part I mentioned earlier, and now I'm going across a
really fucking long rope while in the Shantytown for the second(?) time.

Does anyone else who has played it know whether or not the weapon parts are randomised or they have specific locations? I've been waiting for an extra one for the bow for a good three hours now.

Also, Pho,
check your twitter >_>

Haha. I just finished that part I mentioned earlier, and now I'm going across a
really fucking long rope while in the Shantytown for the second(?) time.

Does anyone else who has played it know whether or not the weapon parts are randomised or they have specific locations? I've been waiting for an extra one for the bow for a good three hours now.

Also, Pho,
check your twitter >_>

Yeah I was also wondering if the parts were dependent on how much shit you've picked up, location or if they're triggered at random. You'll be receiving an upgrade soon in any case.

OH AND I SEE YOUR COMMENT ON SOUNDCLOUD, HOOKER.

Nemesis_

Am I the only one that just walks around slowly pointlessly just to soak in the atmosphere? I did it for like 10 minutes just now! : P

I kind of wander around just to find treasures and shit, but I am a relentless achievement whore so yeah. >_>

I do like panning the camera around to just take in the scenery though. I love the way the developers ensure that there is internal continuity between the areas on the island.

Like I've just uncovered an area that is new, but looking down beyond the cliff I see one that I have been to before and it's visibly familiar. It's a cool touch.

Yeah I was also wondering if the parts were dependent on how much shit you've picked up, location or if they're triggered at random. You'll be receiving an upgrade soon in any case.

OH AND I SEE YOUR COMMENT ON SOUNDCLOUD, HOOKER.

There a multiple comments :3

This game is fucking awesome.

Absolutely love it. It's like they used Uncharted 1 for inspiration (the good Uncharted) but made it even less linear. Or at least appear less linear. Like the original Uncharted which at least tried to hide its linearity.

The controls are tighter, the shooting better and the melee works better. It may be inspired a lot by Uncharted, but it does everything important better than it.

Haven't touched multi yet.

finished the game today (360), took me about 12 hours with all optional tombs.

i really wanted to hate this game after all the marketing bullshit and nonsense from the developers. but i cant, the game is really good and i enjoyed it.
yes: it lacks identity and borrows heavily from other games, laras transformation is handled poorly, sometimes there is too much focus on action/combat and its not like the old games (which i loved) at all. its also pretty shallow if you really think about it (like the arkham games and assassins creed are shallow).

so why did i like it that much? the game just plays well, has a great atmosphere, does all the uncharted stuff (combat, traversal, exploration, story, characters, cinematic moments) better than uncharted itself and it looks stunning.
the combat feels and plays better than uncharted, with more interesting combat situations and more options that keep the combat interesting.

the game is what i always wanted uncharted to be: a good mix of cinematic action and adventure/exploration elements. it also doesnt feel as restrictive as the uncharted games (more open levels, exploration is rewarded, replay value).

despite laras unrealistic transformation in the beginning, she is still one of the better written female videogame characters (i know thats not saying much...) and the story is decent. pretty much all of the other characters suck (sterotypes galore. angry black woman, spiritual indian guy, shady scientist, nerd..really?) but in the end, its ok. the whole stuff about the island is well done and almost every hidden item reveals a bit of back story about the stuff that went down.

the visuals are fantastic (one of the best looking console games for sure) but the framerate is pretty bad. the game almost never manages to run with 30 fps, in some later areas its drops heavily (25 ish). at least there is no tearing...
i also noticed that the game stutters heavily for about 10 seconds once you get an achievement.

the optional tombs are a real disappointment: while they look great, they are way to easy and short. each one doesnt take longer than 2-3 minuts to solve. if there is a sequel to this game, i hope they improve on this. i like the idea to "exclude" the tombs from the main game, but they should be longer and harder, not just 2-3 rooms that only look great.

i would rate it 7.5 out of 10. i really liked it but there is a lot of room for improvement.

Playing through this now. I absolutely love it. About halfway through. Spoiler-free thoughts:

- CD did a great job of making Lara feel like a vulnerable hero that can and will get hurt. Part of the problem with Unhcharted isn't just that Nathan Drake murders 1000s of people. The other half if the issue is that he is an invincible superman. Tomb Raider doesn't have this issue.

- The game seems very easy so far. I haven't come close to dying yet.

- Optional tombs are usually just a single puzzle. Solve it, get your reward, and you're out. But on the flipside, Uncharted has no puzzles. Not real ones, anyway. Uncharted's puzzles all solve themselves. In TR, there aren't a huge number of them, but at least the ones that are here are what I would consider "true" puzzles.

- The non-linearity is really great. Truly does make the game feel like a cross between Uncharted and Arkham City. I'm hooked on returning to previous areas to explore when I unlock new traversal abilities.

- Leveling up Lara's weapons and abilities is not a gimmick. They provide a very real sense of "powering up," with abilities like melee counters and collectible locating locked away until players level-up and earn them.

- There is some non-linearity in the combat as well. TR doesn't have totally open "combat sandboxes" like Uncharted's shipyard sequence, but you can sometimes get the high ground on enemies, etc.

- Stealth isn't really a viable combat tactic. You CAN take out dudes sight-unseen one by one if you're super careful. But like Uncharted, when one sees you, they all know your location. You can't lose them, or hide behind a wall, etc.

- This might be the most fun / most satisfying bow I've used in a video game.

-Everything about the game is impeccable. You can be disappointed with the game's direction, but it's pretty much impossible to be disappointed with the execution of that direction. The story is genuinely intriguing. Everyone is well-acted. All the acts are perfectly paced. The island is a great location with lots of varied locales, etc.

Like I said, I'm hooked. I think it's good enough to be on GOTY short-lists, most likely.

Holy shit this game is stunning.
Definately in my Top 5 of current gen games for me

Been watching my gf play for about 8 hours now. Game is fantastic. Then again we both love Uncharted. Obviously the graphics and story aren't as good as that but the little things like the XP and upgrade system are awesome.
The gameplay mechanics are very very good.

Got the game yesterday. Was free from work and probably played it six hours straight. I think I played even longer today. (sorry dog and gf)

I usually never do this when a game comes out. I remember Uncharted 2 being the last game that I finished in two long sessions.

TR is addictive indeed. Each new area was just asking to be explored. And I always said yes. Loved it.

Phew!!one of my favorite franchises not ruined this gen!! Final Fantasy is ruined, Silent Hill is ruined, Resident Evil is ruined.

But not Tomb Raider. Just finished the game and holy shit YES, it's good....really good. Better than I expected even. I'm so glad.

Can't wait for TR2. Just include more puzzles the next time around. But keep everything else as it is, it's perfect.

8 hours in - I still think this is a fantastic Game.

Man this game ist absolutely fantastic... No exploration? I just played the game for 3 hous and I only progressed from Lara's 5th diary to her 6th (progress went from 32% to 44%). The
barrack village
was amazing, so much stuff to do, even acrobatics. I loved searching for collectibles during that segment of the game. Sure people can run & gun through everything but in my opionion that equals missing half of the game. I really appreciate how open everything feels, taking your time to explore and track back a little really pays off in this game.

Playing on hard was the right choice too, I have to admit the combat reached Uncharted levels some times and the gun fights were definitely hard (still using the bow 90% of the time) but the game is just so much fun to play. My only criticism would be that there's too much ammunition in this game, it ruins the survival aspect a little bit. If CD had implemented a food system (seeing that there are still rations in the game I guess they cut it pretty late) and distributed the ammunition a little bit more sparingly, this would be the ULTIMATE survival game. I can't recall having so much fun with an action adventure since Uncharted 2.

tumblr_md3qs0n7i11rx68le.gif

tumblr_inline_mhllmyTyja1qd00mn.gif

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Am I the only one that just walks around slowly pointlessly just to soak in the atmosphere? I did it for like 10 minutes just now! : P

So what you're saying is, the gameplay is so derivative and shallow and the puzzles are so non-existant that the only enjoyment you get from this game is holding down the stick for 10 mins. Terrible game confirmed. (this is a joke, before someone goes crazy on me)

dEvAnGeL

So what you're saying is, the gameplay is so derivative and shallow and the puzzles are so non-existant that the only enjoyment you get from this game is holding down the stick for 10 mins. Terrible game confirmed.
i feel sorry for this kind of people, hating on something just to join the hate train, have you even played the game? yeah, didn't think so...

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
i feel sorry for this kind of people, hating on something just to join the hate train, have you even played the game? yeah, didn't think so...

omg lol..you just got in before my edit. wooooshhh there it goes over your head.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Man this game ist absolutely fantastic... No exploration? I just played the game for 3 hous and I only progressed from Lara's 5th diary to her 6th (progress went from 32% to 44%). The
barrack village
was amazing, so much stuff to do, even acrobatics. I loved searching for collectibles during that segment of the game. Sure people can run & gun through everything but in my opionion that equals missing half of the game. I really appreciate how open everything feels, taking your time to explore and track back a little really pays off in this game.

Playing on hard was the right choice too, I have to admit the combat reached Uncharted levels some times and the gun fights were definitely hard (still using the bow 90% of the time) but the game is just so much fun to play. My only criticism would be that there's too much ammunition in this game, it ruins the survival aspect a little bit. If CD had implemented a food system (seeing that there are still rations in the game I guess they cut it pretty late) and distributed the ammunition a little bit more sparingly, this would be the ULTIMATE survival game. I can't recall having so much fun with an action adventure since Uncharted 2.
I thought there was none in this game, from how people have talked about it its scripted event>shooty bang bang>scripted event>shooty bang bang.

I'm an expert

It's unfortunate that I wasn't sure if you were being serious or not, tbh. >_>

You...you have no excuse. But c'mon, I'm clearly poking fun at the complete opposite of Derrick. I have a feeling we're in store for a lot of "this game's grass is so amazing. this game's water drip is truly the pinnacle of gaming. this game changed my life".

Nemesis_

You...you have no excuse. But c'mon, I'm clearly poking fun at the complete opposite of Derrick. I have a feeling we're in store for a lot of "this game's grass is so amazing. this game's water drip is truly the pinnacle of gaming. this game changed my life".

Haha yes, it's okay. I'm not complaining - I was more commenting on the hate that the game seems to be getting by looking at your post.

:p

I thought there was none in this game, from how people have talked about it its scripted event>shooty bang bang>scripted event>shooty bang bang.

It isn't like that at all.

More like scripted event>fuck around>fuck around>shoot chickens>enemy encounter>scripted event>fuck around>do a tomb>everything is pretty...

Plus, you can actually play stealthily for a lot of the encounters, which was a nice surprise.

I'm an expert

Haha yes, it's okay. I'm not complaining - I was more commenting on the hate that the game seems to be getting by looking at your post.

:p

What hate? 8/10 who have played it have liked it, 1 thought it was mediocre, and 1 thought it was too derivative. Definitely not much hate yet. Not enough people playin it though. Just a reminder though, there will be people that hate it, and that's ok. People are allowed to hate games, just like you're allowed to like them. Your friendly gaf tip of the day.

San Tacos

Neo Member
Man reading this thread here's what I've gathered:

Tomb Raider is a game that is better than Uncharted (1 or 2? I dunno) which was better than Tomb Raider.

I think I need to check this out.

TGO

It isn't like that at all.

More like scripted event>fuck around>fuck around>shoot chickens>enemy encounter>scripted event>fuck around>do a tomb>everything is pretty...

Plus, you can actually play stealthily for a lot of the encounters, which was a nice surprise.
sound better, thanks

Nemesis_

What hate? 8/10 who have played it have liked it, 1 thought it was mediocre, and 1 thought it was too derivative. Definitely not much hate yet. Not enough people playin it though. Just a reminder though, there will be people that hate it, and that's ok. People are allowed to hate games, just like you're allowed to like them. Your friendly gaf tip of the day.

I agree, but read through the early pages of this thread, people who don't even have it were hating on it. Just ask Tricky. Although let's be real some people have made up their minds already.

Re: the game, why is Reyes such a
cranky fuming bitch

If there wasn't "borrowing" there wouldn't be progression.

Ha. Agreed, but I think you're missing my point a little. Some things are telling of, "hey, I love how UC did this, so let's use that as inspiration whilst making it our own", whilst others smack of, "just make it look and feel like UC, yo".

Anyway, let's move on amicably. Naturally, I had to get my grievances out of the way, but please don't get me wrong; I do believe that TR is taking the genre in the right direction. It's a great game. I just feel as if I'd already played it before, hence my not loving it as much as many others deservedly have.

I'd love to see it become its own beast a bit more, is all. You know, UC feels like UC, Gears feels like Gears, Vanquish feels like Vanquish, Future Soldier feels like Future Soldier, etc, whereas TR is a TPS that felt like UC to me more than anything, which is not a bad thing at all, but I'd rather not have such intense feelings of deja vu whilst playing a new game.

I'm an expert

I agree, but read through the early pages of this thread, people who don't even have it were hating on it. Just ask Tricky. Although let's be real some people have made up their minds already.

Re: the game, why is Reyes such a
cranky fuming bitch

There are a lot of people lovin on the game without havin it too haha. Just be ready for the intelligent debate to be had over whether or not the game is decent.

Finished story mode. Woah, woah, woah ...last level was awesome.

Score:

Woah/ 10

I'm going to msg a mod and tell them to capitalize the p in your name. It bothers me that much.

TGO

Just watched gamersydes exploration vid, is most the game like that? or just the Tombs?

I'm an expert

Watching the TR retrospective on GT, man..I'll admit that's a lot of polygonal memories comin back. Kinda wanna boot up Underworld, never tried it but might be in a classic Lara mood.

edit: man I forgot how jump centric those games were.. 180ing in mid air while firing and shit.. wall jumps and flips.. can you even just..jump in this new one?

Nemesis_

Watching the TR retrospective on GT, man..I'll admit that's a lot of polygonal memories comin back. Kinda wanna boot up Underworld, never tried it but might be in a classic Lara mood.

edit: man I forgot how jump centric those games were.. 180ing in mid air while firing and shit.. wall jumps and flips.. can you even just..jump in this new one?

Jumping feels really good.

DieH@rd

Banned
"This area is said to be a danger zone on Japanese maps, according to Charles Berlitz's books The Bermuda Triangle (1974) and The Dragon's Triangle (1989). He states that in the peacetime years between 1952-54 Japan lost 5 military vessels with crews lost totalling over 700 people and that the Japanese government sent a research vessel boarded by over 100 scientists to study the Devil's Sea, and that this ship too vanished; and finally that the area was officially declared a danger zone.

According to Larry Kusche's investigation, these "military vessels" were fishing vessels, and some of them were lost outside the Devil's Sea, even as far as near Iwo Jima, 1000 km to the south. He also points out that, at that time, hundreds of fishing boats were lost around Japan every year."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon's_Triangle

Perfect "urban legend" for a videogame. :)

Top Bottom