• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Dead Space 4 Cancelled Following Poor DS3 Sales [EA: "Patently False"]

Vi3trice

Neo Member
I don't get all the hate...the meat of the game wasn't changed, and elements were added. You didn't even have to take on the additional content if you didn't want to.

It's a pity it (allegedly) sold what it did. Frankly I think it deserves another iteration...I found that I like it more than ME3.

I liked the game until things went downhill when I reached Tau Volantis.

DS3 was a fine game.

The problem was not DS3, the problem is with the entire industry's business model. If making a game that quality of DS3 requires the kind of money that one had to sell 5 million copies to turn a profit, then that venture is doomed before it began.

Development costs of these "cinematic" games are simply too high, and the business model is not sustainable. The entire AAA industry is build around building another COD-like IP.

Struct09

Dead Space 3 wasn't a bad game, but the series could use a refresher. It's strayed away from what made the original so great and has become a slightly above-average action game with DS3.

The microtransactions in Dead Space 3 are completely inoffensive. I didn't touch them at all and was still completely over-stocked with resources by the end of the game. Anyone that actually throws money at these things are only ruining their own experience.

LiK

FALSE

https://twitter.com/gamasutra/status/308965374483898369

C94C5D15-512A-479A-AC4E-DAF814598E6B-7663-000007E669809F04_zps68e290cc.jpg

padlock

The microtransactions in Dead Space 3 are completely inoffensive. I didn't touch them at all and was still completely over-stocked with resources by the end of the game. Anyone that actually throws money at these things are only ruining their own experience.

"Weapon-specific ammo was allegedly switched for generic ammo late in development, too, as a method for shoehorning in the game's controversial micro-transactions."

I wouldn't consider making the game worse inoffensive.

REV 09

DS3 was a fine game.

The problem was not DS3, the problem is with the entire industry's business model. If making a game that quality of DS3 requires the kind of money that one had to sell 5 million copies to turn a profit, then that venture is doomed before it began.

Development costs of these "cinematic" games are simply too high, and the business model is not sustainable.

This worries me as well. People bitch about EA, but they are a business and they take massive amounts of risk to fund these games. If they aren't profitable then they can't make them. I'm concerned that increased costs will cause these big budget titles to become too similar to one another and overall just not profitable for the required risk.

There may not be enough horror fans to support a big budget horror game anymore. Next gen is kind of scary. i thought the new consoles would reinvigorate the market, but i'm not so sure now.

Edit: this rumor being false would be excellent. Fuck the haters. DS, even 3, is a great game and i'd rather have the DS3's than no DS at all.

Great, I am elated, but... EA is not going to learn anything of it, like why it actually failed, EA will just blame developers for making a bad game. I feel like it has more to do with crappy microtransactions, forcing co-op to see all of the levels, and now is an action game instead of leaning more towards horror that was basically laid out by EA initiatives more than anything. Did it have an online pass? If so, another reason I am glad it failed.

I have a brand new copy of Dirt3 that I am playing right now and it is bugging me for a VIP Pass at every corner, but I just don't feel like putting it in because I really don't want to play online or use the Youtube feature, but it is getting sooooo annoying about asking "hey, are you sure you don't want to enter that online pass? Oh, you don't have one, let me guide you on your way to buying one from us" around every menu option/prompt. I am just about to give up on the game as a whole. It is not that I cannot enter the code, it is the principal, and at this point, I want to just see how annoyed someone would get if they didn't have one, or like me, just don't want to enter it because I am only in it for the single player...

EA is ruining all of their games. Do you guys think Bioware is making the horrible choices to do what they did with Dragon Age or Mass Effect? Not likely. EA wants the money, and they want it easy. They'll sacrifice quality to do it.

I'm only just now reading this thread, but I don't get how anyone can think this. Bioware's problems come from sloppy writing and in the case of the first two mass effects, incredibly clunky gameplay. I don't see any real "EA influence" there, all that happened was the money made them lazy.

Famassu

They should get smaller teams to work on the games, stop worrying about maximum profitability (which is an absurd idea anyways--traditionally, in a free market economy, focusing on profits isn't what you would be doing right now, but that's pretty much the only thing corporations seem to do these days, because yay stock market and shareholder right stuff), and MAYBE NOT MAKING SUCH A SHORT FUCKING GAME THAT IT WAS A COMPLETE WASTE OF FIFTY DOLLARS.

THREE HOURS?

THREE. HOURS?

FOR FIFTY DOLLARS?

WHAT

Mirror's Edge should have been $10.
Fuck you, Mirror's Edge could never have been a 10$ game. It's people like YOU who are ruining the game industry, not the suits.

I'm only just now reading this thread, but I don't get how anyone can think this. Bioware's problems come from sloppy writing and in the case of the first two mass effects, incredibly clunky gameplay. I don't see any real "EA influence" there, all that happened was the money made them lazy.
Well, it could be that EA was the one who demanded a 3rd person shooter RPG (becuz shooters be cool, AMIRITE?!?!!) whereas maybe Bioware would rather have made something more akin to KOTOR. Though yeah, it was Bioware who actully couldn't develop anything more than a mediocre 3rd person shooter, so that blame lies in them.

ultron87

Great, I am elated, but... EA is not going to learn anything of it, like why it actually failed, EA will just blame developers for making a bad game. I feel like it has more to do with crappy microtransactions, forcing co-op to see all of the levels, and now is an action game instead of leaning more towards horror that was basically laid out by EA initiatives more than anything. Did it have an online pass? If so, another reason I am glad it failed.

None of these reasons are why it didn't sell 5 million copies. It didn't sell as much as EA wanted because a Dead Space game was never going to sell that much.

I don't buy EA games because I respect an love gaming. I played and enjoyer DS 1-2(friend had them), when I heard the microtransaction crap and the focus in action with real weapons... Sigh

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Fuck you, Mirror's Edge could never have been a 10$ game. It's people like YOU who are ruining the game industry, not the suits.

Yes, people who want value for their dollar are ruining the game industry. Oh don't worry, they added a timer! Infinite replayability!

As much as we complain about sequelitis, aren't 3 games (+ spin offs) in a series enough? I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, regardless of the reasons.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Well the rumour in the OP seems like one of those convenient ones--it takes known, verified information (reshuffling at Visceral Montreal / possible closure) and combines it with plausible speculation (Dead Space 3 sales, Dead Space 4 cancellation), things-that-make-readers-feel-like-they-were-right (shoehorned microtransactions, corners cut on Dead Space 3), and thing that we knew but that when stated in this way support the narrative (told to focus on action over horror in DS3).

I mean, that doesn't mean it's not true and I actually don't think this denial means it's not true either, but certainly it has the structure of a rumour that could easily turn out to be false.

Zrais

Neo Member
Dead Space 1 and 2 are incredible games..I'm only partially through 3 but am enjoying it.

Sad that the series is going to go away..but maybe its for the best.

Saty

Why would EA tell Gamasutra that when the sites who ran the story asked EA for a response; which they declined to give?

params7

Banned
I was hoping the rumor would be true. I loved Dead Space 1 and 2, but loath microtransactions in pay to play games with a passion. Its a gamebreaker.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Of course it's false! Dead Space 4 was never announced therefore it cannot be cancelled. It's not like companies ever tell lies.

'there is no DS redesign'
*24 hours later*
'this is DSLite'
never forget

I liked the game until things went downhill when I reached Tau Volantis.

Heh. I knew it was coming, and it was (I felt) a clear homage to the Thing, which is probably one of my favorite movies. I came at the game biased in favor of it, and I feel right. It's just another part of the DS "world."

There's stuff I like and stuff I don't much care for, but nothing that I outright despise.

DS 1 was great
DS2 was disappointing
DS3 I passed on it
These mirror perfectly my own sentiments. Side note, I was even thinking of going back and playing Dead Space 1 on my PS3 at some point in the near future, but kind of just want to wait until next Halloween, I dunno.

EDIT: And I would really like to hear more about this story now that EA was so quick to get back and deny this rumor, which is fine because it is only a rumor, but this rumor does seem pretty plausible. Now I am just waiting for internal leaks and such that we hopefully will get.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
You lack imagination.

2 characters, but only one with a gun. One focuses on traversal/opening paths/lighting the way whilst the other acts as protector.

Without the protector in immediate proximity the explorer is defenceless and must use stealth to work around threats.

Without the explorer in immediate proximity the protector needs to rely upon local/ambient light sources to be able to defend himself. Lanterns/candles burn away/blow out quickly without attention from the explorer, leaving the protector exposed to the things that lurk in the encroaching darkness.

How's that? Sounds like a workable formula for co-op horror and I've pulled that straight off the top of my head.

not scary at all, because we'll be talking, joking and laughing all the time. Just the nature of co-op. the idea would work only if you disable all means of communication which isn't possible.

I've tried System Shock 2 co-op briefly with my partner the other day, wasn't scary at all. And I almost can't play SS2 alone.

watchdog

I think there is a perception with EA that they interfere a lot, and aren't afraid to crack the whip and be ruthless. I mean god, look at what happened to Bioware.

That may very well be true but I still say that the devs are still responsible for the direction of their games. That is unless a contractual agreement says otherwise. Maybe someone with some knowledge on the subject can shed some light on how much (or little) developers control the direction of their games?

I don't think they'd abandon the IP at the drop of a hat, they spent a lot of resources building up the "Dead Space" name to just throw it all away.

I could see EA going in a different direction with the games though, like that rumor from a few years ago that said they wanted a Dead Space FPS, Uncharted-style game and a space combat game.

RMI

Banned
all this new twitter update means, if it is true, is that they haven't specifically cancelled a game they never announced. They could still never announce it which would be just as good as cancelling it.

Also, just fuck dead space. Dead Space 4? 4? Really, is that a series that needs 4 titles?

ZaCH3000

Yep, of which I agree. Although many survival horror games dont really hit that spot, Dead Space, including. Its just a fun game with horror elements, but never had me on the edge of my seat.

Dead Space was a special game. Two was meh in comparison and I won't be giving Three a chance because of the direction they chose to take the series in.

EA needs to learn steady, linear growth for a franchise is the most sustainable growth model. You can't expect to shun fans by changing core game play mechanics from one game to the other without offending fans of the original. Your going to lose fans meaning either the new customers you attract is negligible because fans are leaving the series or your feeble efforts result in a net loss because nobody gives a shit about your franchise.

The Souls series should be the model all games not of mega blockbuster status imitate.

Dead Space wasn't destined to be a five million seller. Maybe a four million seller by creating goodwill from fans of the first, invest brand loyalty to the franchise, and effective advertising for acquiring new customers. Realistically, Dead Space 3 should have been projected at 3.5 million sales and budgeted accordingly.

codecow

Wonder what Codecow has to say about this instead of some random "anonymous" person.

Personally I was fine with the way DS3 ended and doesn't really need a 4th game.

I'm not sure who the source is for that article but much of it is completely false based on my knowledge.

I think they should shelve the IP for a couple of years. 3 Dead Space games in 5 years is too much. I'll be picking up the 3rd game once it's cheap.

Top Bottom