• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Dead Space 4 Cancelled Following Poor DS3 Sales [EA: "Patently False"]

Majanew

Banned
I just want to see at least one Dead Space game built for the next gen consoles. Should be a glorious sight to behold.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'd be up for a Dead Space on Frostbite 2.

Well EA is making 15 games with the engine including people at Visceral Redwood Shores, so that should be a given if it comes out.

I mean, it would like literally have to be their only non-sports AAA console game that wasn't using the engine if it didn't.

What the hell.

No, what the fuck.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and likes or dislikes but I simply do NOT understand the almost universal hate for DS3.

DS 1 & 2 are some of my favorite games of this gen, more so for their survival horror attributes and audio design than anything else. I started DS3 expecting to be MISERABLE and OMFG MASS EFFECT SPACE OF DUTY DUDE BRO CO OP...and what I got instead...was Dead Space.

Wtf.

YES it isn't as scary and YES it does have more action sequences and YES there are areas that are locked behind co-op walls and that absolutely fucking blows but...its still dead space. You are never FORCED to co op, EVER. I played most of the game on my own and that feeling of dread and overwhelming isolation is still there. The voice acting was on point, the terror is still there and by all accounts the fact that you do end up facing A GREAT DEAL more enemies at once makes things all the more difficult.

And the game has Kain...KAIN. How can you hate?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Every company should adopt 2 sequels max policy. Seems like after the 3rd game franchise fatigue takes over.

Draft

Even if the story in the OP is false, or mostly false, DS3 almost certainly sold less and definitely reviewed worse than DS2, which makes it a failure by both objective measures employed by big publishers. If the IP is not dead it's certainly going into stasis until enough time has passed for a reboot.

eshwaaz

What the hell.

No, what the fuck.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and likes or dislikes but I simply do NOT understand the almost universal hate for DS3.

DS 1 & 2 are some of my favorite games of this gen, more so for their survival horror attributes and audio design than anything else. I started DS3 expecting to be MISERABLE and OMFG MASS EFFECT SPACE OF DUTY DUDE BRO CO OP...and what I got instead...was Dead Space.

Wtf.

YES it isn't as scary and YES it does have more action sequences and YES there are areas that are locked behind co-op walls and that absolutely fucking blows but...its still dead space. You are never FORCED to co op, EVER. I played most of the game on my own and that feeling of dread and overwhelming isolation is still there. The voice acting was on point, the terror is still there and by all accounts the fact that you do end up facing A GREAT DEAL more enemies at once makes things all the more difficult.

My feelings exactly. Well put.

Holden

Every company should adopt 2 sequels max policy. Seems like after the 3rd game franchise fatigue takes over.

by fatigue you mean laziness from the devs?

and deadspace 3 was shit other then the space levels (which were pretty good) until you get on the ice planet and the first 2(3?) chapters which were also really bad.

Bowler

What the hell.

No, what the fuck.

Wtf.

+ fucking 1

What the hell.

No, what the fuck.

Wtf.

Agreed. Unfortunately, the internet will be the internet, and people will make up their mind and hate the game without even playing it.

And the EA hate at this point is just overblown. It's at "Star-Wars-George-Lucas-Raped-My Childhood" levels of hysteria at this point.

Respect.

=========================================================

We had a long history of them arguing with NPD numbers and derailing threads when they were caught being notably inaccurate.

But yes, we saw Resident Evil 4 and 5 get over 5 million copies, so there is an audience that could potentially buy that many copies of Dead Space, they just have been unable to capture them.

it makes sense now.

I hope EA stop the whole forced mainstreaming thing

Hunter S.

The sales for the series were never close to the 5 million sold they demanded on all platforms. Quite frankly, I am happy with what I got. Just wish real horror could be be big enough to produce more horror IPs. The future of this series has always been in question. No surprise.

antitrop

What the hell.

No, what the fuck.

I'm with you, man.

Kinyou

Agreed. Unfortunately, the internet will be the internet, and people will make up their mind and hate the game without even playing it.
DS 3 has a metacritic score of 78. DS 2 has one of 90.

There's more to it than just "the internet". You can argue that not all of these reviews are accurate but there's no denying that something went a little wrong during the development of DS3

Tacitus_

What the hell.

No, what the fuck.

Wtf.

I feel you man.

I didn't notice that till you mentioned, why is it banned ?!

VG Chartz likes to fill in the gaps by making up data based on "educated guesses."

They deceive people into thinking their data is authoritative, when in reality, at times it's no better than someone on GAF predicting sales.

That's why it's banned.

Andrew.

Banned
What the hell.

No, what the fuck.

Wtf.

I agree 100%

Glad to see some other like minded gaffers.

Patently false? I certainly hope so.

Given how fantastic DS3 looks, at least @ 1080p, I can only imagine it on next gen consoles.

Dyno

My anger stems from what the game could have been had it not been for EA's interference. At one point it was probably a great game that got neutered and blanched into a sub-80 on metacritic.

Sheeshor

Banned
What the hell.

No, what the fuck.

Wtf.

But why should I play it then? If everything that is new is lame at the same time, it doesn't seem to do even one thing better. Even more enemies at once is a big minus for me.
Maybe fur 20 bucks one day.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
YES it isn't as scary

YES it does have more action sequences

YES there are areas that are locked behind co-op walls

that absolutely fucking blows

Well...

but...its still dead space.

Is it?

You are never FORCED to co op, EVER. I played most of the game on my own and that feeling of dread and overwhelming isolation is still there. The voice acting was on point, the terror is still there and by all accounts the fact that you do end up facing A GREAT DEAL more enemies at once makes things all the more difficult.

Obviously, this comes down to personal taste and how one defines a game/genre, (which is admittedly made more difficult when accounting for personal taste in horror) but for me, the isolation never felt real because you were with a team whom were constantly communicating with (even if they don't amount to anything), and even in single player, Carver suddenly appears out of nowhere for cut-scenes and disappears just as fast. Combine that with the fact that you've done this twice before, and it really doesn't have the same isolated/unknown feel, imo. Especially when human enemies make it into the mix, non-factor though they may be combat wise. (except for the rocket launcher ones if you're not ready for 'em)

The dread turned into weary "okay, new room, get ready for 3-5 monsters rushing you" about halfway through, and likewise, difficulty from monsters racing towards you doesn't hold the same appeal of having varied encounters after the same enemies pop out of the vents for the 20th time. A spitter and 2-4 normal-ish morphs rushing me were what I remember encountering a LOT of the time, with a few teleporters at the end. That's it. And every single zero-G sequence had 2-3 bone spitters. Woohoo.

The few sequences with the new emaciated-sound people were a nice change up at first, but they just became 5-8 rushing at you as well.

And for me, when combining the above with taking out/changes like the suits actually having any importance attached to them (since they're now upgraded from the store instead), 2 weapon limit/new bench-upgrade system, scavenger bots, and the story taking some overly melodramatic drama, and I don't think it's got quite the same "feel" anymore.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

I think the reason why franchise fatigue takes over is because publishers keep releasing these sequels in really short, sometimes yearly intervals.

Personally, I think these types of series need a longer break between sequels. 2 years is good, but 3 may be better.

Look at the God of War games:

God of War - March 2005
God of War 2 - March 2007
God of War 3 - March 2010
God of War Ascension - March 2013

I purposely left out the handheld and HD Collections, focusing on the core console titles. As a God of War fan, my excitement is at fever pitch for Ascension, because there hasn't been a built for PS3 God of War game in 3 years.

I hope God of War IV releases on the PS4 in 2016.

I just think constantly being bombarded with sequels on a regular basis has worn us out. I haven't even played/beat Dead Space 2 yet, so I passed on 3 until I do.

Hunter S.

Glad to hear this was a b.s. rumor. I want more Dead Space.
No, it is probably true. The sales are not up to the 5 million on PS3/360 that EA has stated was the sales number needed to keep renewing it. Even if the source is faulty which is probably so, based on EA's statements and the predicted sales the series will be on hold. This is more likely to happen as the sales never reached more than 3 million on both platforms put together on the original and then fell for the 2nd game.

njean777

and deadspace 3 was shit other then the space levels (which were pretty good) until you get on the ice planet and the first 2(3?) chapters which were also really bad.

Shit is Blackwater for the xbox 360, Dead Space 3 is nowhere near shit.

FartOfWar

Banned

Dat dev laziness. I don't hear enough about it. Tell me more.

JadedOne

What the hell.

No, what the fuck.

Wtf.

I agree with you 100% my man. The game is dead space.

Halcyon

I liked dead space 3 the same amount I likes resident evil 5. Its fun coop. Its moreso just that playing anything coop is more fun.

I was never scared playing. I thought there were too many climbing rope sections. I hated the backtracking at the end of the game. The ending was kinda bad.

Other than that it was fun to play through. Dead Space 1 remains an all together different(better) experience. The atmosphere and mood as well as story were just better.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
TheChillyAcademic said:
I simply do NOT understand the almost universal hate for DS3.

Its not almost universal hate, it just seems that way because certain people are using it as a convenient vehicle with which to further their "EA sucks" spiel.

Hatten

DS3 wasn't perfect but its still much better than the usual crap we get

If EA wanted to get social games' money they should have released a F2P version on the side and leave the main series alone

That way we still get a great game and the mindless drones on facebook get to play SPACE DUTY CALLS WITH BLOOD AND GUTS BRAH!!! (*fistpumps*)

Satchel

Banned
No need to can the series.

Just go back to what made 1 and 2 amazing games.

I skipped 3 because that demo wasn't a Dead Space game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Satchel said:
I skipped 3 because that demo wasn't a Dead Space game.

That demo isn't particularly representative of how the game plays. But then the DS series has always been let down by terrible demos, so people should know better by now.

fvng

I'm guessing this will be on the Playstation Plus instant collection in a couple of months. Maybe EA will finally make money off those micro transactions if they convert it this game to a free to play/freemium model

deformity

Neo Member
Not only the DS3 IS Dead Space...
in some points DS3 is the most interesting and deep and strong Dead Space of the series.

hope to see Dead Space series in next gen

Unnecessary co-op in the case of DS3.
I wonder how much this stuff adds to the cost of development, quite alot I would guess. Especially with it being added for the first time in DS3. How about the unwanted (by most people I'm guessing) multiplayer in DS2? If EA would just keep the scope of the game simpler and more DS1 style instead of trying to make it dude-bro shooter 57 they would be better off IMO.

Maybe the lower review scores and sales will make them realize the folly of their ways before they go all Resident Evil 6 on DS and turn it into a designed by committee dude-bro wanna be example of game design.

Worst one in the series by far. If that was what the future held, then this was for the best.

Yep, i agree.

Dead Space 1 is a masterpiece, that game was just awesome.

Then Dead Space 2 lost a lot of what made Dead Space 1 sublime, but all in all it was still good.

And now with Dead Space 3.... the co op, even more shooting and action, microtransactions.... just meh, and yes, it´s for the best to end the franchise because they are showing they are too incompetent to give this once special franchise the treatment it deserves and demands.

Top Bottom