• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's Island DS interview - Wii version a possibility?

ziran

From Nintendo Europe:

It’s been a long wait for the millions of fans of the fondly remembered Yoshi’s Island, and with only a few more weeks to go until the release of its sequel on Nintendo DS, we felt it was time to talk to producer Toyokazu Nonaka (Yoshi’s Universal Gravitation, Mario Slam Basketball) to find out more about this season’s biggest handheld game…

Nintendo of Europe: Can you tell us something about the development process? Who created the game and who oversaw its production?

Toyokazu Nonaka: “The game was developed by a company called Artoon. They are a second party developer that we have a lot of faith in at Nintendo. At Artoon’s side, Mr. Naoto Ohshima was the producer, so he could really be seen as the creator of this game.
“Now, at Nintendo, Mr. Takashi Tezuka was the person supervising the project, and he would make sure that all the elements such as level design, graphics and sound were in line to create a true Yoshi game.
“Mr. Tezuka is the general manager of EAD Software Development Department and he has given me a lot of good advice and instructions, which was very helpful at times when I was feeling a little disoriented! So with him as the senior producer of this game, I would say that the title is really a collaboration of Mr. Ohshima and Mr. Tezuka.”

NoE: Were some of the people involved in the original SNES game also involved in the DS version?

TN: “Yes, they were. The members who supervised level design, graphics, and sound at Nintendo’s side were people who were also involved in the original Yoshi game. And Mr. Tezuka was one of them.”

NoE: The original game made a big impact due to its unique visual style, to which this DS sequel is very close. How would you compare the two in terms of graphics?

TN: “The first game was outstanding on all levels, and the graphics were indeed of very high quality. I think we have taken over all the right visual cues from the original for this DS game. But actually, I would like players to judge for themselves –I would love to hear their opinions.”

NoE: Yoshi’s Island DS looks like a very accessible game. How did you ensure it would be challenging enough for fans of the original?

TN: “I think you will find out when you play that the early stages are really accessible, and it isn’t very hard to reach the goals. But then when you progress further, you’ll see the challenge increase a lot. But while it is challenging we didn’t make it outrageously difficult.
“Also, once you’ve finished all the levels, you will discover an even more challenging feature, so that should be something to look forward to!”

NoE: A big new addition to the gameplay is the use of abilities of the different babies. Would you say that you’ve made a “strategic platform game” by making this such an important gameplay element?

TN: “Yes, you could say that. In this game, when you change baby characters, a strategic element kicks in, and more puzzle solving intellect will be required in many cases. But, here too, it’s not outrageously difficult to play, so don’t let it scare you off!”

NoE: The dual screens of the Nintendo DS are being put to good use in terms of exploring every inch of the levels. How did thinking of levels in a bigger vertical space influence the game design?

TN: “Because the DS has an expanded vertical visual range, we were able to do some really cool things with wind effects and bouncy mushrooms.
“But also, because you have two screens at our disposal, even if one screen is in use for displaying the character you are using, we could use the other screen to tease the player with flowers and coins. This gives you a taste of things to come, and also makes you wonder ‘how am I going to get there?’”

NoE: We already know Baby Mario, Baby Peach, Baby DK and Baby Wario will be playable characters. Can we expect any other surprises?

TN: “Apart from these characters, Baby Bowser will appear. But, I cannot tell you yet if he is a friend or enemy. You will have to see for yourself…”

NoE: The gameplay mechanic of sticking out Yoshi’s tongue and shooting eggs at different areas of the screen is something that would really lend itself well to the Wii Remote. Are there any plans for Yoshi’s Island Wii?

TN: “Any plans for Yoshi’s Island on Wii? Well, I think I will keep that a secret for now!”

Mr. Nonaka, we thank you for your time!

Yoshi’s Island DS is in shops December 1, only on Nintendo DS.
The Wii controls do lend themselves to Yoshi's Island, if it does come to Wii hopefully it will be as amazing as the original.

[Nintex]

According to Nintendo "Yoshi!" for GameCube turned into Yoshi's Touch&Go. I don't trust them on this one tough.

ziran

Code_Link said:
Second party?
i think nintendo refers to all exclusive agreements with third party developers as working with a second party, on a per game basis.

i'd guess toyokazu nonaka works within nintendo at the group (spd3?) handling all the exclusive third party projects (under second party agreements), like battalion wars, mario baseball, etc.

NotWii

Banned
SAY NO TO ARTOON!

“Now, at Nintendo, Mr. Takashi Tezuka was the person supervising the project, and he would make sure that all the elements such as level design, graphics and sound were in line to create a true Yoshi game.
Well that's really unfortunate that he (a seasoned Nintendo veteran) failed miserably, graphics and sound were terrible in Yoshi's Island DS amongst other things.

I think we have taken over all the right visual cues from the original for this DS game. But actually, I would like players to judge for themselves –I would love to hear their opinions.”
It sucks!
Bring back the original artists!
It needs to have the sketchy look!

Rich and Detailed
3.gif
5.gif

YoshisIsland_jeu1.png
Super%20Mario%20World%202%20-%20Yoshi's%20Island%20(E)%20(V1.1)007.png

Vs

Plain and Ugly
yoshi_bigscreen--screenshot_large.jpg

psy18

Wii said:
No, I believe in standards.

o_O I really can't tell the difference in those shots... except for the color.
I played the DS version for a while but somehow the controls feels different and I don't like it.

No to Artoon

Neomoto

“Any plans for Yoshi’s Island on Wii? Well, I think I will keep that a secret for now!”
First an (awesome!) YI Super Smash Bros. Brawl stage and now this? Hmm, a true 2d Wii version would probably be too awesome to actually happen, but who knows.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Neomoto said:
First an (awesome!) YI Super Smash Bros. Brawl stage and now this? Hmm, a true 2d Wii version would probably be too awesome to actually happen, but who knows.
That would indeed be great :). Make it happen!

Wii said:
No, I believe in standards.
No, you're a nerd.

Yoshi's Island DS has the same art style as the SNES game, just with more colours and sharper lines. Yoshi's Island DS is coloured pencil to the SNES game's crayon.

The DS game's music is ****ing terrible though.

ziran

Wii said:
SAY NO TO ARTOON!

Well that's really unfortunate that he (a seasoned Nintendo veteran) failed miserably, graphics and sound were terrible in Yoshi's Island DS amongst other things.

It sucks!
Bring back the original artists!
It needs to have the sketchy look!

Rich and Detailed
Vs
Plain and Ugly
psy18 said:
o_O I really can't tell the difference in those shots... except for the color.
I played the DS version for a while but somehow the controls feels different and I don't like it.

No to Artoon
yeah, i pretty much agree.

i've given the game chance but the bottom line is it's disappointing, imo, it just doesn't play as well as yi, which is a real shame because i loved the original :(

in the scheme of things i don't think yi ds is a terrible game, it's an okay platformer, but the problem is the original yi is one of the greatest videogames ever made, so in comparison, yi ds is poor.

yet again artoon has failed to deliver. nintendo should've been more careful with the sequel, especially since artoon really crapped out on yoshi topsy turvy!

ead's the team for the job. even though yoshi's story was rubbish, i'm confident if ead was given enough time they could create a new game worthy of the yi moniker.

NotWii

Banned
Mr. Pointy said:
Yoshi's Island DS has the same art style as the SNES game, just with more colours and sharper lines.
So what you're saying is it's different

You see how your logic just eats itself?

Rlan

I'm enjoying Yoshi's Island DS a hell of a lot right now. I love some of the puzzles you have to go through with Baby DK and Wario, and the level essentially made out of wind flowers was very cool.

Anyone know yet what happens when you get all the Character coins? Is there only one per level?

Vexidus

Wow I think this YIDS bashing is a little undeserved, have any of you beaten the game who have said "No to Artoon"? The game gets better and better as you go, and the best art plus level design byfar is in world 5. Sure the game can't be as good as the original Yoshi's Island, but it's a damn good effort and a solid game

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
I'd kill for an ultra-stylized, 2d wii YI that uses the wiimote for shooting eggs. It could be brilliant.

ziran

Vexidus said:
Wow I think this YIDS bashing is a little undeserved, have any of you beaten the game who have said "No to Artoon"? The game gets better and better as you go, and the best art plus level design byfar is in world 5. Sure the game can't be as good as the original Yoshi's Island, but it's a damn good effort and a solid game
i've completed the game, but it's still disappointing imo. as i said, it isn't a bad game, but it isn't a great one either, and there's the problem.

yi on the snes was a revelation in platforming when it came out. it did so many innovative things as well has having the best level design ever. putting it bluntly, yi ds feels like a fan made expansion pack, which is not what i want for the sequel to one the best videogames i've ever played.

i know you say the game can't be as good as the original, but i disagree. if ead had taken its time and carefully made a sequel it would've been incredible! i love nsmb, it recreates the feeling of the original smb perfectly, and plays brilliantly, yet does enough new to be a worthy addition to the 2d mario platformers.

i would've preferred it if ead would've held back yoshi touch & go, and expanded on the game, to create a sequel to yoshi's island. the core idea was great, but the game wasn't fleshed out enough. given enough time i think it could've been amazing, rather than just good fun, as it turned out.

imo, over the years the yoshi franchise has been hacked away at, which is a real shame because it had such a promising start.

I don't get the hate on this game...yes the music is sorta crappy, but it's not killing me really.

The game still has a lot of core gameplay, character and interesting level design. It has a really good sense of flow and I can just cruise through smashing things at a cool pace.

I think the original is my favourite game ever, and I am really enjoying this, but goddamn it gets difficult, which I love.

I hope all you guys have at least given it a go past the first world at least.

Luckett_X

Banned
A Yoshi's Island 3d game on Wii would be what the system was designed for. A full cel shaded sketchy pastel world would be the exact kind of style and graphics the Wii could excel with and look downright appealing. Using the nunchuck to move Yoshi, and the wiimote to aim eggs and tongue attack, the set-up is all there. A very brief look at Yoshi in 3d can be found in Mario 64 DS, and it left me wanting more.

Its a far better fit for the Wii than Mario Galaxy or...well any other current Nintendo property. It makes such perfect god damn sense, and that is why we will probably never see it!

I gotta wait til Christmas for YIDS, but I expect to enjoy it very much. I hope the same people bashing it did the same with the woefully under-par NSMB.

ziran said:
yi on the snes was a revelation in platforming when it came out. it did so many innovative things as well has having the best level design ever. putting it bluntly, yi ds feels like a fan made expansion pack, which is not what i want for the sequel to one the best videogames i've ever played.

I think it's a testament to the game's original design that a level pack can still offer better platforming than ANY other 2d platformer (cept perhaps NSMB) out right now. Considering the exponential leap Yoshi's Island was from Super Mario World (and it did start out as a sequel), if EAD were to have done Yoshi's Island 2, it would likely look and play totally differently to what you expect. Which, i think, is basically why it was farmed out - they're 'above' doing just a level pack of one of the most timeless masterpieces ever, and it wouldn't get the sales to justify the effort they'd need to put in, to top the original.

..... and they're probably still ashamed for releasing Yoshi's Story! VOTE YES FOR ARTOON!

Rlan

Most of the problems mentioned in 1ups review, like the split between the level, are a problem. It does become a pain in the arse. I have no problems with Baby swapping, but I'd like them to tell me sometimes.

Even with these faults, it still contains some of the best platforming for the system, and some of the puzzles are very nice. They hand out lives like candy [Over 100 lives when I was at the second world], but from what we're hearing, you'll need them in world 5. Frankly, it would have been better off just removing lives altogether, really.

And lastly, after finishing off NSMB recently for all the coins, I feel like I've got a few fingers chopped off playing this because I can't walljump :(

ziran

the androgyne said:
I think it's a testament to the game's original design that a level pack can still offer better platforming than ANY other 2d platformer (cept perhaps NSMB) out right now. Considering the exponential leap Yoshi's Island was from Super Mario World (and it did start out as a sequel), if EAD were to have done Yoshi's Island 2, it would likely look and play totally differently to what you expect. Which, i think, is basically why it was farmed out - they're 'above' doing just a level pack of one of the most timeless masterpieces ever, and it wouldn't get the sales to justify the effort they'd need to put in, to top the original.
i agree, and that's what i wanted, something new, not just new levels with a few tweaks.

overall, yi ds was worth making, but i find it disappointing when judging it against the original from every perspective, level design, controls, graphics and sound. however, comparred to most of the 2d platformers available these days i think yi ds is a decent game.

VOOK said:
Where is this interview on Nintendo Europe?
it's in the vip lounge, dated 21/11/06, but you have to be a member by registering.

Top Bottom