• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations - Unleashed Project mod released (Unleashed stages in Generations)

Guess Who

Banned
So, if I install this, do these new stages just show up on the main game's level selection hub...? Or is it a standalone game?

It basically replaces the main game. Don't worry, all the files go in a separate "mods" folder and there's a config utility to easily switch between the main game and this mod.

Also, to people taking screenshots: make sure to use the FxPipeline renderer in SonicGMI! Adds some neat features like directional shadows and better lighting effects in certain stages (things which were in Unleashed, but NOT Generations).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So, if I install this, do these new stages just show up on the main game's level selection hub...? Or is it a standalone game?

You have to launch it from the SonicGMI exe. It launches the Steam version anyway so you still have overlay. Make sure you the mods are enabled via the launcher. Harmless.

If you want SG levels then just boot up SG via Steam. For this mod, use the launcher.

I thought I had the FXpipeline enabled. I just did so I will be back much later with more screens.

Just tried it, looks rough. Will tinker more later.

Piers

I forgot how pretty global illumination was in Unleashed :eek:
That's a very nice touch with the world-hub also. The starry sky is relaxing.

mclem

About as long as it's taken them to send C&D letters to the other fangames/rom hacks.

In other words, never.

Dunno, this is wholesale lifting of content they designed released for free, rather than just stuff inspired by it. I'd hope they're reasonable about it, though.

qq more

Wonder how long it'll take for Sega to catch wind of this and send a cease & desist.

Only a small percentage of fan games/rom hacks ever gets C&D

Sonic fan games have been around for almost two decades (pretty sure the very first one was made in 1995) and I don't recall any of them getting C&D

Okay I finally managed to play all of it and I'm just flat out overwhelmed. I know the levels are originally from SEGA of course though what you guys did even surpasses the original quality. I mean the hub-world isn't just a white void anymore, it's freaking beautiful :D Not to mention the music and the fact that you managed to even recover the Unleashed Renderer it was a joy from start to finish even though Jungle Joyride absolutely destroyed my framerate for good reasons though I might add as this level specifically is a feast for any eyes :D

Oh and have I mentioned the music and all lovingly placed details all over the mod? :p I probably could gush the rest of the day about everything buut I will just say I would buy a Soundtrack CD if you guy should ever make one!

Also I have encountered a bug, well I'm not sure if it is one as I'm not sure it's intended that I even can do this though whenever I try to
Spindash as Classic Sonic after beating the mod
my game freezes and crashes with "Sonic Generations has stopped working" :( Otherwise it's perfect and I only have my PC to blame for the framerate :p

Guess Who

Banned
whenever I try to
Spindash as Classic Sonic after beating the mod
my game freezes and crashes with "Sonic Generations has stopped working"

Known issue that can't be fixed, sadly. That's why it's just a fun little bonus after beating it rather than a main part of the mod.

NTom64

Trying to get this to play in windowed mode via DXWnd and it's freezing as soon as it starts up (on the black screen I mean). Fullscreen mode works fine (and plays great, really fun mod), but I hate playing stuff like that so I dunno. Any ideas on how to fix this?

EDIT:

Just got it working! For those of you having trouble, make sure Emulate Primary Surface, DirectX 9 and fix window frame style are ticked.

Known issue that can't be fixed, sadly. That's why it's just a fun little bonus after beating it rather than a main part of the mod.

Ah okay it's not really game-breaking by any means as I still managed to beat Windmill Isle without it though it was quite hard without
the homing attack
:p

Oh and I noticed the Tutorial and Windmill Isle stages entrances for
Classic Sonic
are swapped by mistake though again this is not gamebreaking by any means but I thought I would mention it still.

Also I just rushed through Rooftop Run as Super Sonic and holy mother of hedgehogs the sense of speed is unbelievable o.o

EDIT: Derp I must have overlooked that one point in the readme, sorry about that :(

Nabs

Sonic Generations is 50% off on Steam today ($14.99). It's been cheaper on other sites, but $15 is still a great price.

header.jpg

iavi

There's likely your problem.

It's not, unfortunately :( I've turned radeonpro off completely, and the issue is still present, with BOTH pipelines.

I'm running an I5 3570k and HD7950/ Win 8. I've started playing with the blurriness, it's so good, but I would like my IQ back

^BUY NOW, people! Perfect timing.

Playing as Classic Sonic through some of the levels is an interesting challenge. He really struggles through parts, but he does make it.

It'll probably be easier once I unlock the Homing Attack for him.

Also I'm not sure what you guys are talking about the lightdash? The thing's unlocked from the start! Maybe you just pressed wrong or something, since the lightdash barely works in this game I swear.

Once I hit it in this mod, I remembered I hit it in the original Generations too. I'm pretty sure it doesn't function until you get to a certain point in the game. And I usually don't have a problem using the Light Dash.

I admit I could be wrong, but I know it wouldn't work for me first at all, then after the tutorial offering it would work just fine, and I had a wave of "Oh right, THIS" hit me.

Ferr986

Tempted to get Generations on PC for this.
Because Im a noob in Steam, I wonder if I can put a complete savegame for the game without any problems (detected as hack or something).
I already have 100% and platinumed on 360 and dont feel like doing the trials again.

iavi

Tempted to get Generations on PC for this.
Because Im a noob in Steam, I wonder if I can put a complete savegame for the game without any problems (detected as hack or something).
I already have 100% and platinumed on 360 and dont feel like doing the trials again.

The unleashed mod comes with a completed generations save game, so you can access all the skills in the unleashed pack. Taken care of!

Guess Who

Banned
Dunno, this is wholesale lifting of content they designed released for free, rather than just stuff inspired by it. I'd hope they're reasonable about it, though.

The general reasoning is:

1) Sega doesn't print new copies of Unleashed anymore, so they aren't making any money off the game anyway.

2) The files in the mod alone are useless, you still need a (presumably legit) copy of Generations PC to play it. So if anything, hopefully it gets more people to buy Generations.

3) If Sega cared about this stuff they would've shut down Sonic Retro looong ago.

As somebody who played a metric shit ton of Sonic Unleashed's daytime stages, here's my minor criticisms:

• Scoring's a bit strict. I ran in to this a bit with the Unleashed Project Dragon Road demo, too - I'd accomplish what felt like to me a "perfect run" and only get like, an A or even a B Rank. I've memorized these stages front to back and can still S-Rank everything on the Xbox 360 version, but those requirements are quite a bit steeper here.
  • I feel like in general there are changes made to some levels to make them very slightly harder (a couple more enemies in the docks section of Jungle Joyride at the start, etc.)
  • I understand it was probably a bitch to get it working as well as it does, but I really do not like the way the sled feels in Cool Edge. It feels specifically engineered to make me lose my rings and I cannot get a handle on it at all.
  • Ice also feels weird, but that's probably a porting limitation more than anything.
  • Understandably the parts I don't like are the parts that had to be interpreted rather than ported. I also feel like some important lightdash strings were missed, and in general I miss being able to lightdash everything. I do like some of it, though - I feel like Skyscraper Scamper was ported extremely well. I love dodging the cars, though some of them can be a little hard to see because of their colors.

This is a really incredible modding project, but I don't know if it'll replace Sonic Unleashed for me - just supplement it. This project is obviously still trying to coax Sonic Generations to play Sonic Unleashed levels, and it does a remarkably good job at that, but Sonic Unleashed will always be the tighter experience because it was designed specifically to run these levels.

Guess Who

Banned
[*]Scoring's a bit strict. I ran in to this a bit with the Unleashed Project Dragon Road demo, too - I'd accomplish what felt like to me a "perfect run" and only get like, an A or even a B Rank. I've memorized these stages front to back and can still S-Rank everything on the Xbox 360 version, but those requirements are quite a bit steeper here.

Yeah, I feel like they over-corrected on the absurd easiness of S-ranks in the original Generations and expect you to be a speedrunner to get an S-rank. :\

qq more

When I first got my account I posted in Sonic-GAF threads.

it's not a mistake I intend to repeat.

Oh so it's clear we're not talking about the same threads (we were talking about the community thread which you only posted like once). I assume you're talking about the general Sonic threads in the non-community side.

Either way you're still getting it wrong, whatever threads they are. I'm betting it's like one or two people that criticized you for liking Unleashed and they seriously do not represent SonicGAF at all.

Oh so it's clear we're not talking about the same threads (we were talking about the community thread which you only posted like once). I assume you're talking about the general Sonic threads in the non-community side.

Either way you're still getting it wrong, whatever threads they are. I'm betting it's like one or two people that criticized you for liking Unleashed and they seriously do not represent SonicGAF at all.

Well. I just feel that in the main sonic threads, (you're right I was only soured on Sonic-GAF by the time that OT came about) There is way to much shitting on modern sonic, and anytime I pointed it out for the whining I felt it to be, I got shitted on too.

I do understand there are some of you that like the modern games, but in my view you are drowned out by the Sonic retro types.

Thats why I generally stay clear of Sonic threads past a certain point.

Zomba13

Finished a playthrough of this earlier. Was shocking playing Jungle Joyride with a solid FPS.
I feel like the light dash on light dashable rings was a bit spotty. No idea if it was the mod or my controller being low on battery or how it was in generations (not played it for a while).
Also, is there a reason the 3D doesn't work? Just makes my screen go crazy and flicker black. Generations 3D works fine. Is it because of the FXpipeline or something?

qq more

Well. I just feel that in the main sonic threads, (you're right I was only soured on Sonic-GAF by the time that OT came about) There is way to much shitting on modern sonic, and anytime I pointed it out for the whining I felt it to be, I got shitted on too.

I do understand there are some of you that like the modern games, but in my view you are drowned out by the Sonic retro types.

Thats why I generally stay clear of Sonic threads past a certain point.

In all fairness, Sonic threads used to be much worse back then. Lately it's been more positive, but you still have some of those people shit posting but they're far less common now thankfully.

Also I'm not entirely sure but majority of Sonic Retro don't seem to mind the 3D Modern Sonic gameplay.

Zen

Banned
Woo the goal of the mod is to have a total conversion on the daytime levels from Unleashed. Considering how poorly the 3D levels in Generations were in comparison I can't wait.

scitek

It's not, unfortunately :( I've turned radeonpro off completely, and the issue is still present, with BOTH pipelines.

I'm running an I5 3570k and HD7950/ Win 8. I've started playing with the blurriness, it's so good, but I would like my IQ back

^BUY NOW, people! Perfect timing.

Are you sure SSAA isn't being forced through drivers (via Catalyst Control Center, or whatever it's called now)?

Malajax

Game won't run with the fxpipeline renderer, has framerate problems without it as well

:(
Edit: Fixed. GPU wasn't playing nicely. Played through and it was indeed awesome! :D

Dario ff

Banned
I will let you guys play around for some more time, I think it's too early to say they're too hard. I'm no speedrunner myself, and these barriers are all like 5 seconds above my regular runs. Maybe you're not all finding the best routes? If there's time to be improven, there's likely time to optimize/find alternatives too.

Using skills can easily shave off to 10-20 seconds too, so that's an easy way to help you out. You can get Acceleration from collecting all the red rings in Windmill Isle Act 2.

I have the same problem with my 7950. I'm 100% certain that SSAA isn't being forced.
That's very odd, does using the No Motion Blur mod included in the readme fix the problem? That could help to finding what the issue is.

What a beautiful game Unleashed was, I forgot how awesome the art direction in that game was. It completely stoops me that people find it ugly and charmless just because it takes place on earth.

Top Bottom