• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond: Two Souls gameplay, screens and previews

impressed.gif

Ricker

Are we sure this isnt the PS4 version they are not talking about yet lol...looks damn good that's for sure...

I have never played a QD game, but this looks a bit stale. Watching the combat video, I can only hope that there isn't a lot of that in the game or that the animation system is good enough that I could turn off the horrible slow down on each move.

The Hospital gameplay section reminds me of a point and click game but incredibly linear with a lot of hand holding. Perhaps there will be many different approaches to problem solving that aren't really shown in this clip? So I am taking away from this that the game is more of an interactive movie than an actual game? Graphics look really good, but is that a by-product of the experience being heavily scripted?

Also - and now I am just nitpicking - but that homeless sign has some of the best hand writing I have ever seen. I suppose she took her donations and went to a print shop to get a professional looking sign made up?

Cyberia

Beyond: Two Souls gameplay lead Caroline Marchal has told VG247 that the game will come in around the 12-15 hour mark, and is longer than Quantic Dream’s previous release Heavy Rain.

Speaking with VG247 at an event in Paris, Marchal said, “I think it’s longer than Heavy Rain because there is more exploration. It’s difficult to say right now because we are, at the moment, pacing the game, so things change and lines are moving.

“But I would say between 12-15 hours of play, depending on the player’s choices.”

http://www.vg247.com/2013/03/21/beyond-two-souls-longer-than-heavy-rain-lasts-12-15-hours/

This game should been for ps4 to showcase its power. Or at least cross platform

Are we sure this isnt the PS4 version they are not talking about yet lol...looks damn good that's for sure...

On the question of whether Beyond will be a cross-platform title, Fondaumière said: "It's for PlayStation 3." Only PlayStation 3? "So far, yes."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-21-heavy-rain-dev-confirms-work-on-ps4-game-has-begun

So...you pretty much know what that means.

WinFonda

Graphics are ridiculous. If this is PS3 footage... I am super impressed. It will hold its own against early next-gen games.

Can't wait to see what QD does with PS4 kit.

So the "gameplay" consists of pressing the analog stick forward to watch the next cutscene? Why even make a game then, might as well make a movie.

This is giving me a Adventure/Puzzle vibe but with in a fully realized modern and 3D world, which is awesome. In fact I think that is the only way to view this without being disappointed. Am I alone?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
For some reason I can't even load the first page in chrome... hahah (prob my shitty computer).

But this is just, gameplay-wise, another overwrought waggle-fest right?

So the "gameplay" consists of pressing the analog stick forward to watch the next cutscene? Why even make a game then, might as well make a movie.

Because if he made a movie, it'd be direct to DVD gunk that everyone would ignore. At least with videogames they guy clings to a pretense of relevance.

WinFonda

This is giving me a Adventure/Puzzle vibe but with in a fully realized modern and 3D world. In fact I think that is the only way to view this without being disappointed. Am I alone?

Sure, I mean it's a Quantic Dream game. They don't make straight forward shooters or action games.

i-Lo

Wow, it looks tremendous (makes me wonder what we'll see by the time 2018-19 rolls around on PS4).

All I want now, above anything else is for the entire game to live up to this star cast and Cage's promise.

This + TLoU + GoWA has really pushed the visuals beyond what I could have expected from a system now essentially 7 years old (8 years if the existence of the tech is counted).

Dabanton

Story and voicework are important to me.

Heavy Rain got both of those very,very wrong. The gameplay we know what to expect it's a adventure game with point and click elements. I like those.

My only fear is once E3 arrives games like these are not going to look as impressive and for many the graphics are what makes them want this game.

jett

D-Member
The CVG article reveals some interesting stuff. Spoilers though.

Personally, I think it looks interesting but I don't really care for the DING! noise every time you do something right.

Didn't think I'd be getting this as I didn't think I could endure another HR type gameplay experience but those videos have piqued my interest. It still doesn't look as "gamey" as I'd like it to be though.

ironcreed

Banned

That is the kicker for me. Looks amazing, but the combat is just a simplified QTE with slowdown instead of a button prompt. That will get old fast, but at least it should be fun to watch. I still want to check it out for the presentation, like I did with Heavy Rain.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Will give it a rental for the wow factor but as ever with Cage stuff, no replay really in there whatsoever. Lets hope all those Heavy Rain purchasers didnt also kinda take that away as well, eh Dave?

Fabrik

Banned
Looks more gamey and puzzley than Heavy Rain. Intrigued!
I love the Ghost Trick aspect.

Edit: Mmmm I'm not sure what part is controlled by the player.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Didn't think I'd be getting this as I didn't think I could endure another HR type gameplay experience but those videos have piqued my interest. It still doesn't look as "gamey" as I'd like it to be though.
"Gamey"? What would you like to see? That's what I'm wondering. What would make this more "gamey"?

People still love graphic adventures, for instance, and those are just as limited (if not more so) than this. Although you have to figure out where items go you are ultimately just clicking on things and listening to dialog.

The Walking Dead received plenty of praise last year and basically used this formula. What about Dreamfall? Same kind of thing.

I don't see the problem here. It's a modern take on the graphic adventure type of experience. These story based adventure experiences aren't designed to be "gamey" like a character action game.

At least this game has the chance to do something interesting with puzzle solving thanks to the ghost feature. You actually get a free camera, it appears, and the ability to look and move around while interacting with a number of objects. Figuring out how to help your character get through the environments by using the ghost is an interesting idea. Throw in possession and you have an even more interesting idea. For a graphic adventure, it seems rather robust.

does point and click adventure count as "gamey" to you?

because this is basically that with big budget. you'll be controlling the ghost for most of the gameplay and look around the environment (pixel hunting) for things you can interact that will lead you move forward.

My first thought when watching the footage was Ghost Trick as well. And that's a great thing if it's really like that, or at least has segments like that.

Anyway it looks mindblowing.

DieH@rd

Banned

Gameplay also consists from combat, talking to characters and using objects to solve light puzzles. Its an adventure game with focus on characters and widely branching storylines!

lemonade

looks awesome! gotta run through heavy rain again. so much i miss. also, can't wait for last of us. the beggining of the end for ps3 looks to be a good one

Really hope there is a difficulty that removes the point marker telling you what to interact with in the environment. Kills the immersion for me and I'd rather solve that myself.

i-Lo

I have to ask, would people be satisfied if this was the kind of fidelity (detail) we got in next gen non linear WRPGs like say Fallout?

What is that guy from Sleeping Dogs doing in the background?

Kaldea

I didn't have much of a problem with Heavy Rain, so I'm interested in this. I'm going to force a blackout for this one so I go in blind.

I wonder if we (as the ghost) can just quitely go back to Jodie after we correctly pick the first card and not be an ass to the other woman. if you read the cvg article, that scenario escalate to really crazy situation.
we can choke the woman in the end

Top Bottom