• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EEDAR: Fewer games including multiplayer, 41% of PS3/360 retail games don't have it

Guevara

eedarmp.jpg

EEDAR took a look at every Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 game released in the United States, and the numbers speak for themselves. Fewer games are including any form of multiplayer.

“You can see that in 2006, one year into the release of the Xbox 360 and the launch year of the PlayStation 3, 67% of the games had online multiplayer, 58% had offline multiplayer and 28% had no multiplayer,” Geoffrey Zatkin, the Chief Operating Officer of EEDAR, told the Report. “By 2012, you can see that only 42% have online multiplayer, a drop of 25%, 44% have offline multiplayer, a drop of 14%, and 41% have no multiplayer, a rise of 16%. So, over time, fewer and fewer high definition console games are including multiplayer as part of their core offering.”

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/the-incredible-disappearing-multiplayer-mp-features-are-disappearing-and-no

Thought this was interesting, more at the link and EEDAR has a presentation Thursday.

shandy706

I'm ok with no multiplayer.

I don't think it should disappear or anything crazy like that, but I love a good singleplayer game.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome. 90% of my gaming time is spent on multiplayer, but that doens't mean I want it shoved into every game. Do it when it makes sense, and do it right, or don't do it at all.

BD1

Banned
I think we'll see a shift from true online multiplayer to more social "multiplayer." Take Miiverse for example. You don't necessarily play cooperatively or competitively online with anyone, but you're always connected with others. Developing empathy among players.

Sony seems to be on to a similar way of thinking with the PS4 social features.

Wynnebeck

Banned
It's obvious. if you aren't a series where multiplayer is going to be a sustainable entity of its own (CoD, Sports titles, TPS/FPS) then there is no point in developing a multiplayer mode for an audience that isn't there.

agree with most: I love multiplayer, but don't force it where it doesent need to be

cases of this:bioshock 2, tomb raider, dead space 2, god of war

all (to me) felt tacked on and contributed nothing to experience

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Best trend I've seen in a while. Focus on SP for the games that are heavily single player focused and focus on MP for the games that are multiplayer focused. Boom. Money saved and the quality of the important part is preserved.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The image in the OP is not showing up for me, and I copy/paste it, it kills my iPad. Rehost/resize please?

Jawmuncher

Looks like its finally making a dent.
Seriously unneeded MP is just beyond dumb.
Since half the time you're left with a ghost town even on day 1. Unless you have something unique to offer or MP is a big part of the expierence just don't.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm assuming this includes downloadable titles?

Since uh, casual observation doesn't really match up for major retail titles.

Edit: Ah it says retail. Licensed games perhaps? Because I'm actually having trouble listing off a lot of offline only retail games.

samman6

Not sure what to think about this, some time MP is bad and sometimes tacked on MP can be a good thing. For instance I would never have gotten to experience great MP in Red Faction Guerllia as well as War For Cybertron, and Bionic Commando, all tacked on in a sense yet all very fun. Also does this include Co-Op.

Coxy

good, everything needs multiplayer has been a bane on gaming, especially when they nearly all feature the same shitty options

Kainazzo

Considering the number of small/indie games in 2006 versus today (even in just the scope of retail), could the rise in SP games just be from the influx of smaller developers that have trickled in over the years, rather than a change of plans from larger ones?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
And shovelware?

Well it says retail only, so it must be primarily licensed games/budget titles?

I mean, does anyone happen to have a list offhand of the major AAA games in 2013 without multiplayer on 360/PS3?

I can think of Infinite and Rising and...

I'm assuming this includes downloadable titles?

Since uh, casual observation doesn't really match up for major retail titles.

Edit: Ah it says retail. Licensed games perhaps? Because I'm actually having trouble listing off a lot of offline only retail games.

The issue is that the list includes EVERY retail title, including all of the shovelware movie-licensed and casual ones. This artificially skews the list in a way that a core-only analysis would not.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
how many retail titles a year are "major" though? two dozen? three? there's far more shovelware

The issue is that the list includes EVERY retail title, including all of the shovelware movie-licensed and casual ones. This artificially skews the list in a way that a core-only analysis would not.

Right, I'm just thinking about this in a GAF perspective of "Are the titles people here are excited about having less multiplayer?"

I mean, I'm guessing The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct doesn't, but I'm not sure that's what people jump out of bed and cheer about in the morning.

Eusis

It does seem possible that as more of the AAA games are deemed as "needing" multiplayer by the execs more of these shovelware licensed games skip on it since they're just cheap cash ins and no one cares for very long (if ever.) So while singleplayer only is rising it's become warped and imbalanced relative to the start of the generation or last gen.

Of course we also are getting games like Bioshock Infinite that blow it off, so who knows? Maybe it really IS slowly tapering off.

chart should be about genres that don't normally have multiplayer to have impact.

maybe there are less FPSes released now then before. any no. of reasons could be behind the drop.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The big clue as to how seriously you should take this is the way the graph starts in 2006 and therefore is basically 360 only (PS3 didn't launch until Nov).

Its not that the presence/absence of PS3 is actually that significant, its the lazy way that it mixes the sample-pool (and therefore sample-size) that makes me think its junk data.

besides the huge titles like COD, almost all MP communities for the vast majority of games are dead just a few months after release, so I'm 100% ok with this. No need to waste resources on an MP no one will play

Lingitiz

My favorite MP and SP games lately are the ones totally separate of each other. I just enjoy when the game is designed around either entirely SP or MP, and the package feels more cohesive as a whole without trying to shoehorn either one in there.

protonion

I remember a topic here about xbox live charts and one of the games in the middle of the top ten had about 10.000 players. Imagine what is happening below.
Yes, I can understand that every company would like to make a monster online game like cod and wow, but there is room for only a few of those.

It's not worth the cost and I'm happy for this new trend.

Guevara

I wonder how many people played (or play?) Bioshock 2 multiplayer. That seemed like the most egregious example.

This is probably for the best. There are a lot of single-player-centric games that have tacked-on multiplayer that I can't imagine the average player coming back to. Eliminating that doesn't really hurt anybody.

Hydrogen

Banned
Wow. People seem to be very anti-mp around here. I dont think mp can ever be a be a bad thing.

One thing this numbers do not show is that offline mp is getting worse and worse while online is always favored. Its like they are making these modes just in case your isp goes offline for some hours. Really sad imo. Offline MP is where videogames really shine.

Top Bottom