• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake II is coming to Game Pass, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S and Windows PC today.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Quake_II_Enhanced_Boss-64d453a7a1ac97f6dfeb.jpg

The seminal shooter from 1997 returns with visual upgrades, online and local split-screen multiplayer, crossplay functionality, a brand-new expansion and even more.

Quake II is back with a vengeance with an all-new, enhanced release of id Software’s legendary 1997 shooter on Xbox! Battle the monstrous Strogg in blistering-fast single player and co-op shooter action, or take your skills to the arena with online and local multiplayer. With upgraded graphics, modern updates, crossplay functionality and so much more, there’s no time to wait – experience the enhanced Quake II on Game Pass, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S and Windows PC today.
Long-time Xbox fans first laid eyes on Quake II back in 2005 when the game was featured as a port on the bonus disc for Quake 4 on the Xbox 360. With Quake II’s enhanced release, id’s groundbreaking shooter reintroduces itself to Xbox owners in full force!
Featuring the original Quake II single player campaign, expansions, multiplayer maps and soundtrack by Sonic Mayhem, this enhanced version also adds visual upgrades like widescreen support, an all-new single-player expansion and performance updates, preserving the original genre-defining shooter gameplay while feeling at home on modern hardware. Battle at up to 60FPS at 1080p on Xbox One and experience native 4K and eye-watering 120FPS on Xbox Series X|S. (Compatible 4K/120Hz displays required.)
Quake_II_Enhanced_Prison-5117fde0997303b6a51d.jpg
Learn more about Quake II’s under-the-hood technical enhancements in this Bethesda.net article
Crash land onto a hostile alien world in Quake II’s single-player campaign and stand against the biomechanical Strogg menace in intense firefights. Armed with an iconic arsenal ranging from the reliable Shotgun and the devastating Rail Gun, take on horde after horde of brutish cybernetic horrors with bullets, rockets, shells and power-ups to turn the tide for humanity. And you don’t have to go it alone – play Quake II with friends online with crossplay support or on the couch with split-screen local multiplayer!
Keep the action going with both of Quake II’s original expansions developed by id Software, Mission Pack: The Reckoning and Mission Pack: Ground Zero – plus the all-new Call of the Machine, a single-player expansion for Quake II by Wolfenstein: The New Colossus developer, MachineGames. But that’s not all! Quake II also includes the official Nintendo 64 port originally published by Midway, packing this release tight with both new and fan-favorite maps to battle through.
Quake_II_Enhanced_Skylight-a9a3ab86cfad4be52984.jpg
Learn more about Quake II’s accessibility features in this Bethesda.net article
You thought it was all single-player and co-op? Settle the score in Quake II’s Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch and Capture the Flag multiplayer modes locally or with up or 16 players online (with matchmaking, custom rooms and bot support.) Crossplay is also supported across PC (with controller), Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Cloud Gaming, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 and Nintendo Switch platforms, so jump into the arena with your friends and frag together!
Warm up your bunny hopping legs, brace for those rocket jumps and face the Strogg in the enhanced Quake II, available now on Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Windows PC and Game Pass! Learn more about Quake II by visiting the official website.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Controller support for pc is incredibly terrible.
It's unenjoyable to the point it's borderline unplayable.

Using the weapon or inventory wheel fucking sucks.
The camera is all over the place, you need to use the right stick to make a selection which is super awkward.

Desperately needs a fix.

anthraticus

Banned
Didn't really care for this series after Quake 1. Do play Arcane Dimensions for it though....freakin awesome mod. (it's playable in the new Quake enhanced, btw)

Last edited:

Bry0

I sincerely thought this was a Microsoft exclusive due to OP. I know some people here hate Sony, but goddamn, at least post in good faith.
Both the trailer and the article mentions all the platforms. Probably better to source a PR bit from IGN or something though.

Last edited:
Both the trailer and the article mentions all the platforms. Probably better to source a PR bit from IGN or something though.
This makes OP look even worse. I thought maybe he just copied the article title, but no. He meticulously typed out every Microsoft device using proper capitalization, and intentionally left out all the non-Microsoft platforms? I don’t actually care that much, it just made me chuckle.

I still have my original Quake II retail CD. Do I get a free upgrade?

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Man, even though it's on gamepass, I think the gyro aiming that both Sony and Nintendo controllers provide are almost a necessity for a game like this if you're going to play on console.

Edit: You heathens need to try gyro aiming.

I’m sure gyro aiming is awesome. But I hate this notion that fps with an analog controller is somehow compromising the experience. Quake 2 is not even REMOTELY hard enough to warrant needing kbm or gyro. I would even say its easier than most Call of Duty campaigns. And its multiplayer suite was never exactly known for being super balanced or competitive, that was Quake 3.

sachos

Hell yeah! One of my first games ever together with JK Dark Forces 2! This looks like such an amazing remaster, with a new expansion and even Q2 64! And splitscreen coop! So happy. That per object motion blur looks sweeet.

Last edited:

hinch7

Well worth it if an old Quake fan or someone who likes boomer shooters. Bought a Steam key from an aftermarket reseller and played it for an hour or so and can confirm you do get the update for free like with the previous Quake Remaster. Think it was just under 4GB install iirc.

Lots of models updated with HD textures, lighting and modern shaders makes a huge difference. Plus the updated animations and just general smoothness of it (playing at 240hz) feels great to play. Gmanlives did a review -

Last edited:

StereoVsn

The camera is all over the place, you need to use the right stick to make a selection which is super awkward.

Desperately needs a fix.
I am surprised there is controller support for Quake II in the first place. KBM though works amazingly well.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I’m sure gyro aiming is awesome. But I hate this notion that fps with an analog controller is somehow compromising the experience. Quake 2 is not even REMOTELY hard enough to warrant needing kbm or gyro. I would even say its easier than most Call of Duty campaigns. And its multiplayer suite was never exactly known for being super balanced or competitive, that was Quake 3.
Footage of you playing on nightmare difficulty without aim assists?

MiguelItUp

Desperately needs a fix.
I'm sure the fix will come in due time. They were good about fixing issues with Quake Remaster controls in a timely manner.

simpatico

Yeah, Call of Machine could be a stand alone game. Really next level Quake 2 experience. Holy shit some of the rooms have insane enemy counts. Tons of fun gibbing mobs.

Top Bottom