• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake II is coming to Game Pass, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S and Windows PC today.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yeah, Call of Machine could be a stand alone game. Really next level Quake 2 experience. Holy shit some of the rooms have insane enemy counts. Tons of fun gibbing mobs.
I started Call of the Machine and it’s great. Just got the grenade launcher and I’m wiping out enemies across the map. It’s very well made. Taking out the turret drones with the super shotgun is also a good time.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
omg-wtf.gif
why-cant-you-just-be-normal-youre-weird.gif

Dream-Knife

Banned
I’m sure gyro aiming is awesome. But I hate this notion that fps with an analog controller is somehow compromising the experience. Quake 2 is not even REMOTELY hard enough to warrant needing kbm or gyro. I would even say its easier than most Call of Duty campaigns. And its multiplayer suite was never exactly known for being super balanced or competitive, that was Quake 3.
All the games I played tonight, console players were at the bottom of the scoreboard.

I can't imagine playing this with a controller.

nkarafo

I love how the pics in the OP have no bilinear filtering.

That shit completely mangled the textures in the original game. You would lose a ton of detail and yet people though it looked better because of "no pixels".

I will never understand how I managed to play and complete this back on PS1 many many years ago.

I’ve been playing this on PC with mouse and keyboard whilst thinking that playing controller must be a miserable experience.

Man, even though it's on gamepass, I think the gyro aiming that both Sony and Nintendo controllers provide are almost a necessity for a game like this if you're going to play on console.

Edit: You heathens need to try gyro aiming.
You only say this because Microsoft doesn’t have gyro control right, am I doing this right??
Cause some chode in here thinks draugoth is an Xbox fanboy and with venom in his veins purposely left out the PlayStation in the title. Holy Shit!!!

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Man, even though it's on gamepass, I think the gyro aiming that both Sony and Nintendo controllers provide are almost a necessity for a game like this if you're going to play on console.

Yep. It's criminal that the system with the most shooters is the only one with no gyro.

I dare people to play Neon White with just the dual sticks. It's coming up on GP soon. I hope people post some of their times. I'd honestly be surprised if people can even finish the game.

Puscifer

These guys can do 8. Larian can't even get to 2. What the heck.
I think the difference is you're remastering a game that can run on Nintendo DS

Lillie

Does the steam version connect to xbox for achievements (so that I can get achievements on both steam and xbox at the same time)?

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Had to re-map the controls on Steam Deck. The community layouts did not let you move forward using the left stick. Had to add keybind for inventory too. Not sure why they couldn't just have an option for a controller.

twilo99

I will never understand how I managed to play and complete this back on PS1 many many years ago.

I’ve been playing this on PC with mouse and keyboard whilst thinking that playing controller must be a miserable experience.

How strong is the aim assist? If they bump it up to CoD levels it should help.

The other problem might be the fact that quake doesn’t need / have an ADS mechanic, which I think helps with aim assist somehow.

Last edited:
Already tried this enhanced release on PC (free as I already had it on steam for the RTX version) and its great given all the added bonuses and online. Thinking of gifting a few copies to some old-timers for some coop

I haven’t jumped on yet.

Man we used to punish this on PS1 with a multitap it was better than Goldeneye there I said it.

Downloading now let’s go boys.

Same, 4 player was a blast on PS1. Would still hook it up for the odd session in the early days of PS2 (smoothed textures and faster CD loading was the icing on the cake)

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Does the steam version connect to xbox for achievements (so that I can get achievements on both steam and xbox at the same time)?
Why not just buy the Xbox version and download the pc version off the Xbox app for pc?

xandaca

Bought the Switch version and am having a lot of fun despite being absolutely terrible at it and only playing on Medium difficulty. The slippery movement is faster than I'm used to and if it weren't for motion aiming, I'd have died even more than the countless times I already have. The chunky art design holds up extremely well and it's enjoyable just to wander around finding secrets. Slightly dreading later levels getting even harder (I've only just finished the first section, secret level included) but so far very happy with it. Will try online multiplayer once my skills are closer to an acceptable level.

Fuz

Banned
I’m sure gyro aiming is awesome. But I hate this notion that fps with an analog controller is somehow compromising the experience. Quake 2 is not even REMOTELY hard enough to warrant needing kbm or gyro. I would even say its easier than most Call of Duty campaigns. And its multiplayer suite was never exactly known for being super balanced or competitive, that was Quake 3.
Super ignorant post.

DelayTheSun

Neo Member
I just checked my purchase history and the "Super ID Software Pack" was the 5th thing I ever bought on Steam for $35 in 2008 (!). It must have been on a crazy sale since I think the regular price was $100. To think that they gave me this upgrade 15 years later at absolutely no cost (along with the Quake 1 upgrade) is kind of incredible. People will always find something to gripe about, but this is Good Guy ID stuff to be sure.

Schmick

Has anyone tried this yet coz damn its good. I've never tried the N64 version and appreciate that I've been given the opportunity to play it. I've been playing Quake 2 on both Steam and xCloud.

• Strength
Reactions: Fuz

MrMephistoX

I wish more games would actually enable Gyro on PS: I tried Overwatch on my steam deck for example and it’s hard to go back to not having gyro. Speaking of which I’ll probably get this on Steam Deck so curious if anyone has impressions yet?

Last edited:

Doczu

A few commenters on YT videos are saying the mouse and keyboard support is buggy on console. It cuts out after playing for a while.
Nothing a patch can't fix. I played Q1 on my PS4 with kb+m before they added more control settings. Afterwards i found a sweet spot on the gamepad and didn't bother plugging it again.

I don't play mp so gamepad is enough and it wirks betther in Q2 from the get go

Doczu

£7.99 for a remaster of one of the best FPS ever made, plus multiplayer, plus split screen play, plus a new expansion!

Are you listening, Take 2? This is how you bring back a classic.
And at minimum they will add the PS1 version in the future.

And if the previous remasters of Doom and Q1 show we may get more free stuff.

EU6yzcf.jpg

Yep, they knownhot please us right

£7.99 for a remaster of one of the best FPS ever made, plus multiplayer, plus split screen play, plus a new expansion!

Are you listening, Take 2? This is how you bring back a classic.

You are missing the main gold nugget here. ID VAULT. They added documents, photos, models, PLAYABLE E3 showcase demos that never saw the light of day since e3 1995, prints of levels hand drawn, so much retro footage of making of Q2 that doesn't exist anywhere else.

Last edited:
Top Bottom