• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite PC Performance Thread

neoism

I don't even have any idea what I'm running, but Booker's arms look goofy at times so it's probably a bit too wide.

I read that MaxUserFOVOffsetPercent=28.5 in the config file at 100% on the slider is 95FOV... lol I set mine to 45.0 so its at least at 120 or something... still I think the gun models are to big so I'll just leave it... yours must be higher Bookers arms aren't a bother to me...

antitrop

I read that MaxUserFOVOffsetPercent=28.5 in the config file at 100% on the slider is 95FOV... lol I set mine to 45.0 so its at least at 120 or something... still I think the gun models are to big so I'll just leave it... yours must be higher Bookers arms aren't a bother to me...
I set my FieldOfView to = 1.750000 and the OffsetPercent to 50.

void666

Banned
The "bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=false" tweak buged my game. I opened a door and the scenario behind it didn't load. Tried restarting the checkpoint and the game itself. But the only thing that worked was changing back to bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=true.

antitrop

The "bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=false" tweak buged my game. I opened a door and the scenario behind it didn't load. Tried restarting the checkpoint and the game itself. But the only thing that worked was changing back to bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=true.

Chen's gunshop, right? I'm pretty sure this has been confirmed to be 100% game breaking at that area. I mentioned this yesterday.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Yeah, I did note that in the OP. That setting is pretty much the golden cvar for more or less curing the stuttering, but it breaks the game's scripting.

Manac0r

Well running the game at 1080 (Ultra) instead of 2560 x 1600 stopped all stuttering. *Kicks Tri 580's and their lousy 1.5gig Vram*

Edit: Hmm Placebo as bumped res back up to full and it's smooth. Might be dependent on area and loading which would lead back to a UE issue. Must stop tweaking and must start playing. *kicks OCD*

antitrop

I also stopped downsampling, it helped out with the stutter dramatically and it's nice having the HUD at full size. With SMAA injection it looks fine.

epmode

I found that you can scale portions of the UI using the MaxResolutionUpScale option in XUI.ini. This is incredibly useful for people running at high resolutions who find that the UI is too small to read comfortably.

Change the value from 0 to 1 to enable UI scaling. This might also work for anyone who's into downsampling (see the bullshots thread) but I haven't tested it.

edit: You can set it to values between 0 and 1 as well. 0.5 works really well for me at 2560x1600

Paganmoon

Do we know if the game uses the cvar?

Did some quick testing, setting the cvar to different values, both high and low (50), nothing changed. So from that and the commented settings files under \Steam\steamapps\common\BioShock Infinite\XGame\Config, I'm pretty sure the PoolSize setting under Texturesteraming doesn't get applied (unless you start the game with the correct switch).

Though, this setting:
LowPCTexturePoolSizeMB=256
Does get applied, but only when running on Low and very low settings.

/P

void666

Banned
Chen's gunshop, right? I'm pretty sure this has been confirmed to be 100% game breaking at that area. I mentioned this yesterday.

No. It's near the end of the game. After you fight
Elizabeth's mother. When you have to find the 3 tears. This one is behind a locked door in the big area with sky rails where you fight a handyman.

Too bad i had to revert the tweak. Game was running so smooth.

stuminus3

Banned
Stutters are kind of bad on my HD5770 with textures on Ultra but that's probably understandable, it's a 1GB HD5770. Dramatically smoother one notch down. Actually that applies to most settings (other than shadows, which for some reason bomb the framerate at anything about normal, even though it doesn't look that much different). A nice mix of normal and high settings @ 1600x900 gives me the old Bioshock 60fps experience. It looks great, too.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Anyone know the difference in Very high and Ultra? I have a 2GB 670, safe to bump it up?

JRW

Damn, the GPU usage drops alot and never goes back up when Alt-tabbing. Anyone els have that problem?

For me GPU usage increases when alt-tabbed out more so than when I'm in game, I only noticed because my GPU fan noise increases when tabbed out, No other games do this.

(GTX 480 / 314.22 driver).

Edit: Just to clarify, it's definitely utilized in game as well being the GPU temp hovers around 83C (86C when alt tabbed) and 48C idle after exiting game.

Eyothrie

Edit: Just to clarify, it's definitely utilized in game as well being the GPU temp hovers around 83C (86C when alt tabbed) and 48C idle after exiting game.

Do you have a fan profile set up on your GPU? Those temps seem a bit high. My 680 gets up to 61C in game

mileS

These numbers on all monitors or should it be RefreshRate+1 and RefreshRate-1?

I don't think it matters. I'm using D3DOverrider for vsync anyway.

Sometimes the bloom can be a little too much to deal with in this game. Walking into a bathroom and the white sinks are just blobs of white bloom.

v0mitg0d

Anyone else having or heard of this issue?

I keep crashing after the loading screen for "Leaving Battleship bay". I've rebooted several times.

I'm running an i7 3770k, GTX 680 with the newest drivers and an Crucial M3. All settings on Ultra except for Shadows (Very high).

HALP!

This game eats up VRAM like nothing else. Constantly hitting 2GB. Might need to eventually swap my 2GB 670 for a 4GB version or a new card entirely if future titles continue this VRAM usage (and they probably will). Still, a decent memory OC seems to mitigate the issue somewhat.

No UE stuttering once I changed the pool size as described in the OP.

SalomonA

I'm getting huge stuttering problems now and then, like the whole screen just stops for a moment, lika 1 sec. This is making the game unplayable at times, especially in gun fights.
Solutions? :)

Edit: running a GTX 570 latest drivers

Madridy

Still no way to increase texts/UI sizes for the game?

The text is way too small for my HDTV.

edit:

I found that you can scale portions of the UI using the MaxResolutionUpScale option in XUI.ini. This is incredibly useful for people running at high resolutions who find that the UI is too small to read comfortably.

Change the value from 0 to 1 to enable UI scaling. This might also work for anyone who's into downsampling (see the bullshots thread) but I haven't tested it.

I'm not near my PC, but does this work for menus and subtitles?

I'm getting huge stuttering problems now and then, like the whole screen just stops for a moment, lika 1 sec. This is making the game unplayable at times, especially in gun fights.
Solutions? :)

Edit: running a GTX 570 latest drivers

Same card, same stutters. Just seems to be how the game is right now.

epmode

I'm not near my PC, but does this work for menus and subtitles?

It works for practically everything, subtitles included. It seems to be a standard UI scaling option like you'll find in many modern games. I'm surprised it wasn't built into the game's options menu.

You can even set it to values other than 0 and 1.
0.5 makes the UI bigger than default but less intrusive than 1. It's really a huge improvement for me.

Eyothrie

Random frame drops are ruining this for me. Tried every trick possible but the game will still suddenly drop to 20FPS every few meters.

I've tried everything too. Its too big of an immersion breaker for me. I wish i wasnt as sensitive to it as I am. I'm probably going to put the game down for a few weeks and hope it gets fixed

t-ramp

This game eats up VRAM like nothing else. Constantly hitting 2GB. Might need to eventually swap my 2GB 670 for a 4GB version or a new card entirely if future titles continue this VRAM usage (and they probably will). Still, a decent memory OC seems to mitigate the issue somewhat.

No UE stuttering once I changed the pool size as described in the OP.
Take it with a grain of salt, since I have no idea what I'm talking about, but just because a game uses a certain amount of VRAM doesn't mean it requires that much. Free RAM or VRAM is non-utilized, which is not necessarily desirable.

Again, I have no idea if this is the case, but people seem to immediately view high VRAM usage as a bad thing.

Just a reminder, turning off Alternate post-processing REALLY helped me with things like micro-stutter and shitty mouse lag.

Game runs beautifully now with negligible difference.

Also, still no way to turn off the HUD?

Madridy

It works for practically everything, subtitles included. It seems to be a standard UI scaling option like you'll find in many modern games. I'm surprised it wasn't built into the game's options menu.

You can even set it to values other than 0 and 1.
0.5 makes the UI bigger than default but less intrusive than 1. It's really a huge improvement for me.

Thank you very much mate, I'll try it as soon as I'm back home.

Also I think this tweak should be in the OP. ;)

Salsa

Just a reminder, turning off Alternate post-processing REALLY helped me with things like micro-stutter and shitty mouse lag.

post-processing should always be set to normal/off

unless you're one of those guys who likes messing with color balance and shit all over original, intended art style

scitek

The only times I was getting framerate drops like people are saying is when I'd be in a heavily shadowed area with Ultra shadows on. The extra shadow filtering tanks the framerate and the difference between Very High and Ultra is not noticeable unless you know what to look for. Both feature contact hardening shadows, but Very High runs much better. If anyone has yet to try it, I'd recommend dropping down.

I've been running MSI Afterburner and limiting the framerate to 60. In addition, I made some changes to the XEngine.ini, but I can't remember them all, so here's a copy of it if anyone wants to try it for themselves. For reference, my specs are:

Nvidia GTX 670
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz
8GB RAM

so it's more for those trying to run 60fps with close to max settings.

EDIT: Also, I'm using D3DOverrider to force Vsync/Triple buffering.

Hylian7

Took a couple of screenshots. I'm running maxed, 1440x900 with the following specs.

Intel Core i5 2500k Overclocked to 4.5GHz
AMD Radeon HD5850
8GB DDR3 RAM

iOUrtbfCRlvOZ.png

iO000896rlMGX.png

ibgsOLbHH5isAn.png

iA4ihqVOoCWau.png

JRW

Do you have a fan profile set up on your GPU? Those temps seem a bit high. My 680 gets up to 61C in game

Yep Im running a fan profile (evga precision) My temps are actually below normal for a GTX 480 lol, Without a fan profile it regularly hits 91-93C in games which is still "comfortable" for a Fermi card. (Max temp is listed @ 105C on geforce.com)

I plan on upgrading once the next Nvidia cards come out but until then the 480 is still holding up surprisingly well, It's also clocked @ 790 / 1900 which is a little higher than the reference 700 / 1848 speeds.

I made it through that part with the backgroundLevelStreaming=false setting on, so it's not 100%. I'll be setting that back to true tonight though -- don't want to risk breaking something else, and I still get the stuttering during loads anyway.

Is it hurting your performance at all? Based on some of the posts earlier in the thread it sounds like the engine scales itself to your maximum VRAM amount, so as long as the game runs well I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Ok I did some tests, as the game needs to be launched with the command line "-ReadTexturePoolFromIni" to use the PoolSize value from the file (otherwise it's calculated).

So, in and area where my VRAM was stuck at 2GB (max of my VRAM), and the game was stuttering like hell each time I turned the camera, I tried several values :

PoolSize=140 (like in many UE3 games) : textures are blurry and VRAM does not exceed 750MB.

PoolSize=400 (default one) : less blurry but only 1000MB VRAM used.

PoolSize=1200 : sharp textures and 1900 VRAM used, no stutter in the large areas, even by going from one end to the other.

So it depends on how many VRAM you have, just try.
For now let's say your VRAM minus 800.

To enable this, you have to open the properties of the game in Steam, and in the first tab you have a button "Set launch options", and put "-ReadTexturePoolFromIni" without the "".

For me it works well, the game is always smooth and I only got little drops when it streams the level, but the big stutter is gone.

Finally got the game up and running on my ancient rig with the following specs:-

Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8 GHz (Dual IDA on via Throttlestop)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 1GB GDDR3 @ 843/882
8 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Catalyst 11.11a performance beta drivers

The following captures are my settings:-

With the above settings, I get roughly 30 - 40 FPS in the starting area of Columbia with some dips when transitioning to a new area. The tower in beginning and enclosed spaces net ever higher FPS.

GPU usage was never less than 99-100% which is great, which means my CPU isn't a problem in this game.

I have to concurr with the others (RibbedHero) in the thread, VRAM usage is pretty insane, with even my lower settings pushing it to 870 - 890 MB of VRAM out of the 1 GB I have.

Funnily enough the stuttering/dips doesn't bother me at all, I guess, since my average FPS is already so low compared to the average PCGaf enthusiast in this thread, it's less jarring dropping from 35 FPS to 25 FPS as compared to 120 FPS to 25 FPS. I haven't applied any tweak as of yet, and will not, until the stuttering bothers me enough for me to do something about it. I have applied the mouse sensitivity tweak as the defaults were insane.

In conclusion, the game runs and looks as well (dat ATMOSPHERE!) as it can be on my lousy ass, low end POC laptop with some outdated drivers (only because AMD doesn't offer newer ones for my card). Only gripe I had so far was that I didn't know they took out manual saving so I lost quite a chunk of progress exiting before the next one.

So for those of you who've got similarly antiquated hardware and wish to give it ago, go ahead. If my Core 2 based laptop (circa 08-09) can run it, so can you!

t-ramp

Ok I did some tests, as the game needs to be launched with the command line "-ReadTexturePoolFromIni" to use the PoolSize value from the file (otherwise it's calculated).

So, in and area where my VRAM was stuck at 2GB (max of my VRAM), and the game was stuttering like hell each time I turned the camera, I tried several values :

PoolSize=140 (like in many UE3 games) : textures are blurry and VRAM does not exceed 750MB.

PoolSize=1200 : sharp textures and 1900 VRAM used, no stutter in the large areas, even by going from one end to the other.

To enable this, you have to open the properties of the game in Steam, and in the first tab you have a button "Set launch options", and put "-ReadTexturePoolFromIni" without the "".

For me it works well, the game is always smooth and I only got little drops when it streams the level, but the big stutter is gone.
Hmm, very interesting. Despite the issues with PC gaming, it's great that there are people willing to spend time fixing issues on their own and sharing results with others. Cheers.

Hawk269

edit: You can set it to values between 0 and 1 as well. 0.5 works really well for me at 2560x1600

Thanks. Not only does this change the UI interface like the health icons and such, but also any of those little video things you find, it also increases the size of those as well when accessing any of the booths to buy stuff!

Great find man and thank you! I am downsampling from 2560x1440 and this has helped a lot. I even kicked it up to 3200x1800 and at .05 the menu's were still really good. Just deciding on what rez to downsample from as I am not seeing too much of a difference at 3200x1800 vs. 2560x1440.

At 3200x1800 I have seen as high as 4.5 vram usage on my cards. That is also with every setting in the game set to the max.

Hawk269

Anyone else give this a shot yet? I am curious if you really need to do this at the launch of the game and also wondering if you bump up the Poolsize higher does it net even sharper textures? I thought this was just to stop the stutter as to me the stutter seemed like a LOD issue.

Top Bottom