• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite PC Performance Thread

Ce-Lin

the fix brings somehow longer loading times I guess to pre-load into memory some of the assets that were being decompressed by the problematic process before, also there is now a bit of regular stuttering in certain parts that run perfectly fine before, small bugs since you need to pan the camera slowly around to notice, also they are far apart and do not affect gameplay, at least as long as I have been able to test... as for the tweaks, I tested the patch with and without the tweaks and it works better with them, so don't discard them, at least try first.

one thing I noticed is that depth of field seems less apparent, anyone else? and another issue is that this latest patch needs the game to run on "Maximum performance" on Nvidia cards since adaptive power is messed now with the patch, it causes a lot of stuttering whereas before the patch it worked great, so as we said it's not possible to 100% fix the game being UE3 on PC and streaming large, open areas with ultra quality textures... but for sure I'm surprised and I deserve to eat some crow since the guys at Irrational managed to make the issues way, way less apparent ant intrusive and the small (you need to be a huge nit-picker as I am) things the patch break might be fixed in the future. Good news, and you can always roll back to the previous patch just in case.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
omg, the stuttering in this game is driving me insane. I'm playing at modest settings on an i3-2100 and 6850, and while performance is generally smooth, I'll get insane stuttering at the most random moments, but particularly when entering new buildings or engaging multiple enemies in a firefight. It's bad enough that I've died several times in one section because I could not keep up with the enemies due to the slideshow happening on my screen.

What the fuck? (Updated my drivers recently as well.)

EDIT: Should read before posting. Apparently there's a new Steam patch? Does the game update automatically or what? I don't think I downloaded it.

Ce-Lin

What the fuck? (Updated my drivers recently as well.)

don't use beta drivers if you are and stay away from any kind of adaptive power management with latest patch, you could also try rolling back to previous build... also what are your specs and your game settings ? slideshow sounds like your PC is choking !

Shaneus

Ah I see. Jeez its been so long I forget the tweaks that I even made. I'm not sure if the patch overwrote them or not. Either way I'll have to check the OP out again to jog my memory.
If you're unsure, just delete the inis and do an game validation thing.

This is great news, hlhbk. Finally I can play it, finish it and listen to the Idle Thumbs episodes that discussed it. If I have time, I might even fire up those file access monitor things as well to see what happens at those particular points in the game now.

Ce-Lin

I believe the game is "on stand by" here in GAF now... but I tested the latest patch and while it irons out a lot of the stuttering it doesn't completely fix it, also it has a memory leak bug, rather annoying, making the game unstable after 1-2 hours of playing, and also playing with Ultra textures make some of them glitch, they look low-res from a distance until you're directly in front of them, also when alt-tab out of the game the GPU ramps up to 100% usage, all in all it's a questionable and rushed attempt to fix the stuttering issue while bringing some new bugs and issues to the game, you can roll back to previous build and Irrational say the new bugs are "known"... well, why releasing this then ? pretty disappointing.

I just installed it and played for about an hour. It would hitch when auto-saving and sometimes when exploring but it was buttery smooth 98% of the time.

Jawmuncher

On my 660 I've been running it fine.

BUT twice I've had the graphics go fucking nuts. You know when everything becomes long flat item. Hard to explain but I'm sure people know what I'm talking about. Quitting and going back in fixes it but its weird I'm on ultra and the newest drivers

Shaneus

Not fixed on mine :/ Might have to completely uninstall and reinstall it, I *did* do a lot of tinkering with files and stuff, maybe the verification I did on the install missed something.

leng jai

Good, so I'm not the only one.

What's your setup? I'm running a 5850 w/ 5970. Lowering details didn't make any difference either, still getting a dip of 20-30fps at that point after the baptism.

GTX570. My FPS drops down to 30 in certain spots (like the bowl of water in the lighthouse) and still periodically stutters. Oh well.

MonkeyDot

Banned
This patch relieved the game, and it runs very well on my GTX 560, some tips for you:

Use Windowed Fullscreen with adaptative v-sync from the Nvidia Control Panel, 0 screen tearing, no need for the game's horrible v-sync.

If you get slowdowns at very specific areas, turn down Dynamic Shadows. In my case, putting them on High helps immensely and it still looks great.

Turn on the game's AA. I don't know if this is correct, but they seem to have changed the AA method, it no longer looks like a blurry FXAA mess.

I've got everything on Ultra except dynamic shadows , I have Alternate PP on and lock framerate off. It runs at 50+ FPS

I'm finally getting to this. Right now I'm tweaking my settings.

I'm downsampling from 2560x1600 and I'm soooo close to getting consistent 60 fps. I have everything maxed except for AA is disabled, shadows dropped down to normal and ambient occlusion down to normal and I'm getting between low 50s and 60 fps. I really really want to keep Alternative Post Processing because it makes a very noticeable difference visually but I can't seemed to eek out those last few frames without changing to Normal Post Processing.

Are there any other possible ini tweaks I can use to get like a 10% improvement without ruining the image quality?

Wow I didn't know so many people had trouble with the mouse too. I eventually used my 360 controller after a while so I didn't think too much about the mouse stutter. I should replay the game with the mouse when the dlc drops.

Shaneus

I'm finally getting to this. Right now I'm tweaking my settings.

I'm downsampling from 2560x1600 and I'm soooo close to getting consistent 60 fps. I have everything maxed except for AA is disabled, shadows dropped down to normal and ambient occlusion down to normal and I'm getting between low 50s and 60 fps. I really really want to keep Alternative Post Processing because it makes a very noticeable difference visually but I can't seemed to eek out those last few frames without changing to Normal Post Processing.

Are there any other possible ini tweaks I can use to get like a 10% improvement without ruining the image quality?
Are you still getting any kind of frame drop in those same locations?

Are you still getting any kind of frame drop in those same locations?

Actually, no. The intermittent loading drops aren't there anymore. I was getting drops in the initial level when looking in certain directions with alternate post processing (never below 50), without it I was locked at 60. Now that I've left the opening area, I haven't had any drops. Hopefully that opening section was the most demanding section.

Is the stuttering solution in the OP still necessary with the latest patch? I started playing this a few days ago and did a bunch of tweaks from the OP and the PCGamingWiki before I even started to avoid any issues, and I didn't realize there was a patch out.

Patch 5 is out: http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?247686-PC-Patch-5-has-been-released

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your patience as we worked on another PC Patch for BioShock Infinite.

PLEASE NOTE: this update fixes the primary crash issue present in Patch 4, and therefore Patch 3 has been retired. If you had previously rolled back to Patch 3, please ensure that you are no longer opted into any Betas in the Betas tab of the Steam Client Properties page for BioShock Infinite, and then restart your Steam client.

CHANGES INCLUDED IN PATCH 5

Fix for a memory leak that caused crashing on some systems after playing for an extended period of time.
Fix for the game occasionally using an invalid refresh rate and/or resolution on computers with multiple graphics adapters. On some machines this corrects an issue wherein the game shows only a black screen at startup or when switching into full-screen mode.
Level loading time improvements.

Thank you again for your continued patience and support.

- Chris Kline, Technical Director, Irrational Games

neoism

Good when I reinstall it in 2019 when the first dlc comes out the game will work better. I had the black screen bug.

Nice. Probably going to do a 1999 run within the next month or two. I haven't experienced any issues at all personally (outside of an Nvidia driver issue) but nice to have the fix there regardless.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
So no dlc is out for the pc version of this game yet?

Tomas

Banned
I just played the game for like 20 minutes. It is a bit of a silly question (I rarely play shooters on PC) but my mouse movement registers some sort of twitching when playing. Looks like it moves vertical axis up and down a little while dragging mouse around horizontally.

I am not used to this and unsure if this is an "issue". Could someone tell me if that is supposed to happen or something glitches/stutters?

I just played the game for like 20 minutes. It is a bit of a silly question (I rarely play shooters on PC) but my mouse movement registers some sort of twitching when playing. Looks like it moves vertical axis up and down a little while dragging mouse around horizontally.

I am not used to this and unsure if this is an "issue". Could someone tell me if that is supposed to happen or something glitches/stutters?
Do you have mouse acceleration off in the options menu?

Dries

Is there a way to enlarge to text fonts? Especially when listening to those Vox-diary thingies I can barely read shit. Playing on my TV.

epmode

Is there a way to enlarge to text fonts? Especially when listening to those Vox-diary thingies I can barely read shit. Playing on my TV.

Yes, it's mentioned in the OP:

Scale HUD: Navigate to (My) Documents\my games\BioShock Infinite\XGame\Config and open XUI.ini. Find the MaxResolutionUpScale cvar and adjust it according to your resolution (e.g. 0.5 works well for 2560x1600).

Please note that this scales the entire UI, not just the text.

I managed to fix 99% of my stuttering using this thread and these suggestions. Game is running pretty well now on my 570 with all max settings except AO and shadows on high. I assume that my only framerate drops now are just naturally occurring because my card is too weak.

Now to turn my attention to two more problems: anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of the awful flickering shadows/z-fighting on the distant floating platforms? And does anyone have a fix to improve the draw distance of decals like paper and grass? See below:

2013-07-31_00001nay6c.png

2013-07-31_000028ax8p.png

This port isn't great tbh. It may have many options in its menus, but it misses the mark with the widespread performance woes and various niggling issues that need tedious ini tweaks to solve.

When I played through this game earlier this year I used injectSMAA with my 560 Ti without any problems. Since then I've upgraded to a 770 and I wanna try downsampling with SMAA, but injectSMAA just crashes the game now. To be specific, it boots to a black screen, and the only thing I can do is hit Esc to exit out. What gives?

Edit: Figured out the culprit. D3DOverrider, SMAA and DX11 games don't play nice together. Forgot that I had to create an exception in D3DOverrider for Infinite the first time around. Closed D3DOverrider and it works properly, but I hate screen tearing so I force triple buffering with it in basically everything. Is Infinite's in-game Vsync just standard double buffering?

Also, running FRAPS seems to completely disable SMAA, any other tool for monitoring FPS?

delta25

Banned
sorry to bump this thread but I was wondering if they ever fixed the dynamic shadows in DX11 for this game? Personally I found the difference between high vs ultra which is rather minimal in comparison especially when you factor in the performances loss, which is freaking huge.

my specs are i5 3330, 8gb of ram and a GTX 760. I have everything maxed out expect dynamic shadows which are set to high and post processing set to normal, my FPS is near locked at 60fps.

JohnGrimm

sorry to bump this thread but I was wondering if they ever fixed the dynamic shadows in DX11 for this game? Personally I found the difference between high vs ultra which is rather minimal in comparison especially when you factor in the performances loss, which is freaking huge.
V. High and Ultra settings use contact hardening soft shadows, which means that the shadows get softer the further they are from the light source. It's really not noticeable in this game since only NPC's cast shadows, so it's best to just leave it off.

Kezen

Banned
Unfortunately, no. Ultra shadows are still a ressource hog. Very high looks good enough and have variable penumbra.
Contact hardening shadows are still very taxing in pretty much every game, Far Cry 3, Thief, Crysis 2/3, AC4, Tomb Raider etc but they look very good more often that not, that's why I enable them.

Top Bottom