• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PokéBOMB 2: Electric Boogaloo (New X and Y info)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I don't think Game Freak really planned out the whole story though, really. There's a ton of that in the games, especially with the Regi Trio who don't seem to have a solid origin since we've got three different Regions now that they've appeared in.

Most of the Legendaries have far more back-stories in the show and manga than they do in the games.

Oh, I never played red\blue\yellow or the remakes so my bad. (I never got to choose a starter *cry*!)

But okay, it could still be the results of tampering with another Mew embryo.

The Mewtwo stuff in the games is so low-key, I don't blame you. Pretty much everyone believes the movie events are more or less the same as the in-game events just because the movie is so prominent in pop culture.

Shahadan

I'm puttng my money on female Mewtwo. Side project, new project, whatever.

Mewtow meets her in the film, have babies, finally stops being emo.

zroid

Banned
No, it's not, and I'm getting kinda sick of everybody saying anybody not onboard with the new design is being utterly directed by nostalgia, because such a claim is bullshit. It might well be a difference in aesthetic tastes, but it does not have to be fucking nostalgia. I don't like Mewtwo's design over this one because I grew up with it, I like Mewtwo's design because it is sleek and imposing. I don't like this new design because it's Mewtwo's design with his ass on his head.

What you're claiming is that I only find that disagreeable because I grew up used to seeing a tail as a tail. What you're claiming is that if I suddenly saw someone with a goddamn ass on the back of their head, I'd just be nostalgic for the good ol' days when fucking asses did not belong on the back of a skull. Which is preposterous.

No dude, I'm NOT saying that. And you're being unnecessarily hostile.

CorvoSol

But several Pokedex entries reference Mewtwo being "created". If you look at the journal entries found in the Pokemon mansion they're pretty vague about the whole thing. One entry mentions Mew being discovered and another mentions Mew giving birth but it doesn't talk about what happened in between.

Fire Red explains it best, I think:

A Pokemon whose genetic code was repeatedly recombined for research. It turned vicious as a result.

Note also that LeafGreen mentions it was a horrific process:
It was created by a scientist after years of horrific gene-splicing and DNA-engineering experiments.

No dude, I'm NOT saying that. And you're being unnecessarily hostile.

Then what are you saying? Because that's what I'm getting here. I only dislike the tail being on the head because I'm nostalgic for the good ol' days. And my hostility isn't particularly at you, just at this constant stream of people going "OH BOY THEM GENWUNNERS HOW WOULD THEY LOOK AT THIS IN REVERSE?" and "OH BOY CAN'T WAIT FOR THE PRECIOUS GENWUNNER TEARS." and so on. I get that on the internet there's an overwhelming number of people who are overly unkind to modern Pokemon designs, but frankly, the anti-genwunners in PokeGAF do nothing to make things better for the people who like all gens. Constant dismissal of the opinions of others as simple nostalgia is crap.

I like Mewtwo's design. I liked it when I was young and I like it now. I do not like this new design. You can link and I will admit that my dislike of this design stems from the fact that it looks like a preexisting design, but what you can't do is say the reason I dislike it is because I'm yearning for the days and designs of yesteryore. I don't like this new one because it's really just taking a preexisting design and changing one aspect, the tail, and moving it up to the back of the head.

backlot

I don't think Game Freak really planned out the whole story though, really. There's a ton of that in the games, especially with the Regi Trio who don't seem to have a solid origin since we've got three different Regions now that they've appeared in.

Most of the Legendaries have far more back-stories in the show and manga than they do in the games.

The Mewtwo stuff in the games is so low-key, I don't blame you. Pretty much everyone believes the movie events are more or less the same as the in-game events just because the movie is so prominent in pop culture.

My point is that while the game doesn't specifically say Mewtwo is a clone, nothing it does say rules out that possibility (although he was clearly not born from a test tube like in the movie).

Watch Da Birdie

I'm puttng my money on female Mewtwo. Side project, new project, whatever.

Mewtow meets her in the film, have babies, finally stops being emo.

B-but but...what about the undeniable relationship between Red Genesect and Mewtwo?

Clefargle

Goes from menacing creature that blew up the Cinnabar lab and carved his way through Cerulean cave to become the toughest Pokemon...to tiny furball. I guess this resembles Mew more. He just looks really goofy and hard to take seriously.

Pokemon is serious business...

Also, I kinda like Neotwo

Watch Da Birdie

The only New Evolution I've ever disliked was Froslass, because I was a HUGE Glalie fan and she pretty much rendered him obsolete as he's just a normal, all-around average Ice Pokemon. :(

I'm actually more or less OK with every Pokemon. I'd say I'll agree Gen 1 probably has the overall most solid designs that appeal to the largest base, yet at the same time there's not a lot of Gen 1 Pokemon I really really like those because I like when they take risks. Most of my favorites are the weird ones, even in Gen 1 I liked dudes like Drowzee, Exeggutor, and Mr. Mime when those are usually brought up as being kind of stupid ones.

Niwa

I hope this is the beginning of legendary evolutions. This frieza thing being the first evolution of Mewtwo ofc.

Zento_

Neo Member
Drew this today after the announcement (lines are a bit shaky but rushed it a bit):
bPWuQMj.png

CorvoSol

The only New Evolution I've ever disliked was Froslass, because I was a HUGE Glalie fan and she pretty much rendered him obsolete as he's just a normal, all-around average Ice Pokemon. :(

I'm actually more or less OK with every Pokemon. I'd say I'll agree Gen 1 probably has the overall most solid designs that appeal to the largest base, yet at the same time there's not a lot of Gen 1 Pokemon I really really like those because I like when they take risks. Most of my favorites are the weird ones, even in Gen 1 I liked dudes like Drowzee, Exeggutor, and Mr. Mime when those are usually brought up as being kind of stupid ones.

I have some I dislike from every Gen. I'm not a fan of Mr. Mime, and I kinda think most of Gen IV was awful, but the only new Forme I ever disliked was Shaymin's. Went from being a cute little Chia Pet to prototype Keldeo. And I don't like Keldeo much.

Some of the ones people hate confuse me, though. Why would you not like Vanilluxe?

Fandangox

What you're claiming is that I only find that disagreeable because I grew up used to seeing a tail as a tail. What you're claiming is that if I suddenly saw someone with a goddamn ass on the back of their head, I'd just be nostalgic for the good ol' days when fucking asses did not belong on the back of a skull. Which is preposterous.

I actually like the design but damn it if this isn't the best response I have read in a while.

Watch Da Birdie

The only Legendary Evolutions I'd

I have some I dislike from every Gen. I'm not a fan of Mr. Mime, and I kinda think most of Gen IV was awful, but the only new Forme I ever disliked was Shaymin's. Went from being a cute little Chia Pet to prototype Keldeo. And I don't like Keldeo much.

Some of the ones people hate confuse me, though. Why would you not like Vanilluxe?

I actually think Vanilluxe is literally one of the most Gen 1-looking Pokemon in Gen V. And that's not a bash, I mean he has an all-around Gen 1 aesthetic.

The only problem I have with Vanilluxe and Klingklang more so is that I wish they had more interesting evolution differences. They're solid Pokemon, but their last forms seem a bit lazy...I guess it fits with their design though, double-scoop ice cream and a gear having an "add more gears!" evolution over an organic, growth-like change makes sense.

Most of the Gen IV Pokemon I think would've been better received if they were introduced in a larger Gen and didn't take up precious space in a Gen as small as IV. Like Burmy and Combee would've been peachy if introduced in Gen III or V, but in Gen IV they stick out like sore thumbs.

zroid

Banned
Then what are you saying? Because that's what I'm getting here. I only dislike the tail being on the head because I'm nostalgic for the good ol' days. And my hostility isn't particularly at you, just at this constant stream of people going "OH BOY THEM GENWUNNERS HOW WOULD THEY LOOK AT THIS IN REVERSE?" and "OH BOY CAN'T WAIT FOR THE PRECIOUS GENWUNNER TEARS." and so on. I get that on the internet there's an overwhelming number of people who are overly unkind to modern Pokemon designs, but frankly, the anti-genwunners in PokeGAF do nothing to make things better for the people who like all gens. Constant dismissal of the opinions of others as simple nostalgia is crap.

Alright, let me clarify:

here is the post you were responding to:
That is subjective, especially since mewtwo looks like a weird cat fetus, I would recon maybe someone is idolizing their childhood a bit too hard.

Then you said:
You can just walk out of here with that BS "Your opinion is invalid because you liked this as a kid" garbage. Dismissing and disparaging opinions with the whisp of nostalgia does jack all for discussions. You want to talk about cat fetuses, fine, but this nostalgia bullshit can take a fucking hike.

And for the record, I think asshead Mewtwo looks like crap. OG Mewtwo looks like a goddamn Space Cat God, and Asshead Mewtwo has his ass glued to the back of his head.

So I replied:
to be fair, you only think that because you're accustomed to seeing the appendage as a tail :p

This is a fact, obviously. You said its tail was on its head, but if you didn't know it was previously a tail, that thought wouldn't have even occurred to you. It would just be a head with an appendage. You might have thought it looked like a tail, but it wouldn't be a tail.

Then you responded that it's valid to directly compare Mewthree to Mewtwo.

Note how I don't imply that this is wrong, only that it's nostalgia:
Well I'm just saying, that's literally nostalgia talking. There's nothing wrong with feeling that way, but it's denying reality to claim otherwise.

(what I mean is, it's not an invalid opinion, but it's obviously an opinion influenced by nostalgia)

I notice you missed the bit I edited in at the end, which is unfortunate because I think that would've helped me make myself clear.

I never made such any such claim, nor did I imply you would have liked Mewthree if you hadn't known about Mewtwo previously. I only said your opinion of Mewthree was self-evidently influenced by your nostalgia for Mewtwo.

*whew*

Friends?

backlot

Fire Red explains it best, I think:

Note also that LeafGreen mentions it was a horrific process:

Those entries don't specify how the procedures were carried out. His violent tendencies could be a result of painful experiments after birth or just the result of hand picking genes to create a ruthless killing machine. It also doesn't specify what was horrific about the "horrific gene-splicing and DNA-engineering experiments." Were the methods used on Mewtwo cruel and horrific or were there failed clones before Mewtwo that were horrific abominations?

It's also worth pointing out that Mewtwo having been cloned and having been experimented on later in life are not mutually exclusive.

serplux

Alright, let me clarify:

here is the post you were responding do:

Then you said:

So I replied:

This is a fact, obviously. You said its tail was on its head, but if you didn't know it was previously a tail, that thought wouldn't have even occurred to you. It would just be a head with an appendage.

Then you responded that it's valid to directly compare Mewthree to Mewtwo.

Note how I don't imply that this is wrong, only that it's nostalgia:

I notice you missed the bit I edited in at the end, which is unfortunate because I think that would've helped me make myself clear.

I never made such any such claim, nor did I imply you would have liked Mewthree if you hadn't known about Mewtwo previously. I only said your opinion of Mewthree was self-evidently influenced by your nostalgia for Mewtwo.

*whew*

Friends?

It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood, a beautiful day for a neighbor. Would you be mine? Could you be mine?...♫

CorvoSol

The only Legendary Evolutions I'd

I actually think Vanilluxe is literally one of the most Gen 1-looking Pokemon in Gen V. And that's not a bash, I mean he has an all-around Gen 1 aesthetic.

The only problem I have with Vanilluxe and Klingklang more so is that I wish they had more interesting evolution differences. They're solid Pokemon, but their last forms seem a bit lazy...I guess it fits with their design though, double-scoop ice cream and a gear having an "add more gears!" evolution over an organic, growth-like change makes sense.

Most of the Gen IV Pokemon I think would've been better received if they were introduced in a larger Gen and didn't take up precious space in a Gen as small as IV. Like Burmy and Combee would've been peachy if introduced in Gen III or V, but in Gen IV they stick out like sore thumbs.

All I know is that I love Vanilluxe but Azelf is like the most forgettable thing ever.

Those entries don't specify how the procedures were carried out. His violent tendencies could be a result of painful experiments after birth or just the result of hand picking genes to create a ruthless killing machine. It also doesn't specify what was horrific about the "horrific gene-splicing and DNA-engineering experiments." Were the methods used on Mewtwo cruel and horrific or were there failed clones before Mewtwo that were horrific abominations?

I feel they're fairly specific. Why would you describe the process of sitting at a desk and meticulously sorting genes as horrific? Whereas if you're recombining the genetic code of something that's already alive and aware, well, that certainly seems a lot more horrific.

Ruby and Sapphire make it a bit more ambiguous, though, saying:
Mewtwo is a Pokémon that was created by genetic manipulation. However, even though the scientific power of humans created this Pokémon's body, they failed to endow Mewtwo with a compassionate heart.

If we take into account just what we know from the Dex and Journals, then:
1. Mewtwo was born from Mew.
2. At some point Mewtwo's genes were recombined repeatedly, whether before or after.
3. Step 2 made Mewtwo violent as a result.
4. Mewtwo was made solely for the purpose of battle.

Honestly, it kinda seems like the anime and games intertwine after a certain point on Mewtwo's backstory. I mean, who in Kanto would finance Fuji and Blaine's work to create a fighting Pokemon, if not Rocket, Silph, or the League? And of those three, Rocket seems most likely.

ZEEROID I have no beef with you. I disagree that my opinion is based on nostalgia and not just aesthetic taste, but I understand what you're trying to say, and apologize for putting you on the receiving end of my soapbox against my perception of problems with people decrying so-called "Genwunners" on GAF. You did not deserve that.

backlot

All I know is that I love Vanilluxe but Azelf is like the most forgettable thing ever.

I feel they're fairly specific. Why would you describe the process of sitting at a desk and meticulously sorting genes as horrific? Whereas if you're recombining the genetic code of something that's already alive and aware, well, that certainly seems a lot more horrific.

Ruby and Sapphire make it a bit more ambiguous, though, saying:

2. At some point Mewtwo's genes were recombined repeatedly, whether before or after.

Honestly, it kinda seems like the anime and games intertwine after a certain point on Mewtwo's backstory. I mean, who in Kanto would finance Fuji and Blaine's work to create a fighting Pokemon, if not Rocket, Silph, or the League? And of those three, Rocket seems most likely.

ZEEROID I have no beef with you. I disagree that my opinion is based on nostalgia and not just aesthetic taste, but I understand what you're trying to say, and apologize for putting you on the receiving end of my soapbox against my perception of problems with people decrying so-called "Genwunners" on GAF. You did not deserve that.

Clearly sitting at a desk and picking genes isn't horrific but the results could have been. How many early clones did they create that ended up being piles of flesh that lived short and agonizingly painful lives before they found the one that survived?

Also is there anything in the games linking Blaine to Mewtwo's creation? I don't remember that part.

Qurupeke

It's actually not bad... The only thing I don't like about it is that its tail is on its head... I hope that it's not a new form thought but something like a Mew1.5. In the movie, they could reveal that this was the prototype of Mewtwo, but the scientists that created it thought that it was a failure so they dumped it. Later, Mewtwo found it and trained it. Or something like that... It could still be Mewthree or a new form.

Stat wise, I expect it to be as strong as Mewtwo or even stronger. 680 are Mewtwo's base stats total while Arceus's base stats total is 720. So, probably this Pokemon will have a total of 680-720. Type wise, it's probably psychic, except if they announce a new type that could serve as secondary for it.

SteelYoshi

Neo Member
Stat wise, I expect it to be as strong as Mewtwo or even stronger. 680 are Mewtwo's base stats total while Arceus's base stats total is 720. So, probably this Pokemon will have a total of 680-720. Type wise, it's probably psychic, except if they announce a new type that could serve as secondary for it.

I believe it will be at least 700, when it was introduced it was the strongest Pokemon ever, then other Pokemon came and stole that position. It needs to regain that status.

zroid

Banned

I can accept that ;)

You see, what I was alluding to is that our so-called aesthetic taste is the sum total of many influences, one of which happens to be our nostalgic feelings for the various past experiences we've had. I was pointing out an example of how you demonstrated one influencing the other. By no means are they mutually exclusive qualities.

JoeM86

Oh, I should note that the initial leak of this on Wednesday was labelled as Éclair Forme (エクレアフォルム), presumably based on the French éclair meaning lightning, flash etc., not the pastry.

I ignored that originally due to no source on it, not being on the material, but it's worth noting.

CorvoSol

Clearly sitting at a desk and picking genes isn't horrific but the results could have been. How many early clones did they create that ended up being piles of flesh that lived short and agonizingly painful lives before they found the one that survived?

Also is there anything in the games linking Blaine to Mewtwo's creation? I don't remember that part.

There's a picture of Blaine with Mr. Fuji in the back of his room in the gym. I don't remember if they're supposed to be in front of the mansion in it or that's just my imagination. Blaine is related to Mewtwo in at least one of the manga, though.

Qurupeke

Oh, I should note that the initial leak of this on Wednesday was labelled as Éclair Forme (エクレアフォルム), presumably based on the French éclair meaning lightning, flash etc., not the pastry.

I ignored that originally due to no source on it, not being on the material, but it's worth noting.
Hmm... As I said, this could mean that a new type is coming and both it and Sylveon are this type...

I am choosing to ignore the 'not the pastry' part.

I see what people are saying about Mewtwo having its ass put on its head, but to my eyes, this just looks like Mewtwo's neck tube being taken to a logical conclusion.

Soodanim

There's so much DBZ in Mewthree. Looks like Freiza and Buu, and also like Mewtwo just went Super Saiyan (Mew)Three.

ffdgh

Even though the leaked poster seems to hint at his being a New Mewtwo Form, I'd be interested if this was a "Phione" version of Mewtwo.

In other words, similar stats and move-set, but weakened a slight bit allowing it to be used in Official Tournaments and in-game Battle Arena Locations where normal Mewtwo would be banned.

Now why would a perfect mew clone get with a failed mew clo.....wait.

Even though the leaked poster seems to hint at his being a New Mewtwo Form, I'd be interested if this was a "Phione" version of Mewtwo.

In other words, similar stats and move-set, but weakened a slight bit allowing it to be used in Official Tournaments and in-game Battle Arena Locations where normal Mewtwo would be banned.

images

And if everyone's Mewtwo!.. no one will be.

...that actually doesn't sound half bad, i'm all for nerfing Mewtwo while not actually nerfing Mewtwo.

Woah. I very much like this theory.

I can accept that ;)

You see, what I was alluding to is that our so-called aesthetic taste is the sum total of many influences, one of which happens to be our nostalgic feelings for the various past experiences we've had. I was pointing out an example of how you demonstrated one influencing the other. By no means are they mutually exclusive qualities.

No it isn't at all. It is entirely possible to separate nostalgia from your own aesthetic preferences, your own experience may be different but you can't assume that applies to everyone. It adds nothing to the discussion anyway and shouldn't be brought up at all unless someone is saying something where their opinion is obviously influenced (even then you should just tell them why they're wrong instead of just 'lol nostalgia').

Man, can you imagine how the "Gen 1 forever" crowd would react if this form was in the original 151 and the original Mewtwo were the new Pokémon?

"I literally gagged, he's so overdesigned, why's there a tube connecting in his neck, why's he all crooked with big goofy bunny feet."

This sort of childish post is what makes it so hard to actually discuss the new pokemon designs critically at all. Even the slight hint that you might prefer the old designs and people like yourself start throwing this sort of bullshit at you.

Is it really so hard to just accept some people have different taste to you without being so hostile about it?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh god Voltcube is so hilarious!

We need more!

This sort of childish post is what makes it so hard to actually discuss the new pokemon designs critically at all. Even the slight hint that you might prefer the old designs and people like yourself start throwing this sort of bullshit at you.

Is it really so hard to just accept some people have different taste to you without being so hostile about it?

Until the other side does the same thing, I honestly doubt that would happen.

But several Pokedex entries reference Mewtwo being "created". If you look at the journal entries found in the Pokemon mansion they're pretty vague about the whole thing. One entry mentions Mew being discovered and another mentions Mew giving birth but it doesn't talk about what happened in between.
I always assumed it was artificial insemination.

Now, something else to note about the mansion (yellow ver only) and cerulean cave is you also encounter Ditto there (IIRC in Yellow only those locations too). Now ditto is pink like Mew and weighs the exact same as Mew. They also know transform, a move Mew knows (as Mew has the DNA of all Pokemon, presumably Ditto is the same)

So basically, this might means Ditto are the failed attempts. Its probably better that the designers never explored this (Paras and Parasect too...).

So where does this other mew thing fit in. Maybe its an ancestor and was used to create Mewtwo (to get round the whole stillbirth Ditto thing). Now that would be crazy, a legendary fossil...

Since the character design of Mew is based on an embryo it seems there's another way of thinking of it.

Mew is described as possibly the ancestor of all other breeds of Pokemon and can learn all moves. You can think of all Pokemon as starting as embryos and then developing - or "evolving" into other Pokemon.

Then Mew is essentially like a combination of the concept of an embryo and a stem cell. It contains the genetic code of all Pokemon and is able to transform or differentiate into other Pokemon. This is similar to now discredited scientific theories regarding embryos "evolving" through different ancestral states.

A single Mew encountered in the wild could divide asexually forming a second child Mew, dubbed Mewtwo. I would assume that this happened naturally in the wild but it could have been triggered by the scientists. Left on its own this new embryonic Mew may have differentiated on its own into a new species of Pokemon, however it was taken into a lab for experimentation. Stem cell research was then performed on this embryonic Mewtwo, modifying the genetic material and manipulating genetic expression to create a new desired Pokemon. The result is the Mewtwo we know today, endowed with powerful genes and angry at humanity for experimenting on its already sentient embryo.

Also with all this talk of assheads, I wonder what you must think when you see Zoras. Myself I like the new design - seems like a calmer, less aggressive Mewtwo. Either a second result of the genetic program, or a Mewtwo that has learned to calm its rage. It looks less of pure power and more of refined efficiency.

I've seen far more hostility towards so called 'genwunners' than the other way around (including people coming up with that incredibly childish insult). Even if there was the same hostility both ways does that really excuse him acting like that for no reason whatsoever? I'll gladly call out people acting the same way in return and i'm not sure why you would want to defend someone stooping to that level of posting.

Why do they need to shit on the old just match up to the people shitting on the new? Its just as bad as this alleged "geewunner" group. Is it really impossible to like the old and new or prefer one over the other without being immediately dismissed with "oh nostalgia", "oh neophilia"?

Shinypogs

Why do it's fingers and toes look like they don't properly connect to the body? Or I guess like they aren't properly integrated with the body. It's not the worst thing ever but I feel kind uncomfortable looking at it.

Why do they need to shit on the old just match up to the people shitting on the new? Its just as bad as this alleged "geewunner" group. Is it really impossible to like the old and new or prefer one over the other without being immediately dismissed with "oh nostalgia", "oh neophilia"?

I'll be honest that's the first time i've encountered neophilia, learn something new every day. I'll admit that i have a preference for gen 1 designs but i have favorites from every gen (except legendaries which i dislike for the most part).

I don't really like Gen V at all and much prefer the other gens before it but if you like Gen V, I have no issues with you!

There, now can we all just play nice?

Wilbur

Banned
Fuck this man, I wanted more than one Pokemon.

Can the final evolution starters leak so I can decide which one I want and then get out until its released plz

Top Bottom