• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II 12 minute gameplay video up [Update: 10 Minute Q&A Video]

I'm a bit sad that the game looks nothing like the CG shown so far, as previously hinted by Edge. But I guess we knew that since it was rumored to not be a next-gen game.

Aselith

I liked the bad frame rates of Blight Town, it really added to the difficulty of the game! PC users got off too easy.

I wish they would include an area with a bad frame rate here too.

Baka gaijin asked for PC version. I hope you like your baby version for babies that play baby games! Enjoy being coddled like the pathetic child baby that cries for baby things.

hteng

Banned
Giant Castle in the middle gives a castlevania feel to it.
Level design looks to be on par with other soul games, graphics has improved immensely, love the draw distance.
Animations seems to be improved
new enemy reactions/smarter AI is a natural direction the game is taking
not liking the instant kills (headshot axe) but that is slow enough for anyone to react.
The player character can roll and move pretty fast even with the armor, the stats are probably not tweak yet.
Moving and Shooting can potentially be cheap/broken in PvP, hopefully they can address in the final product.
They didnt show the black phantom and co op system, that's too bad.
didn't show any backstab or ripostes :(

Haunted

There was something more otherworldly that made me feel like it has that distinct Japanese twist. I guess the clearness of the graphics is part of it yeah. This seems like a more straight forward European fantasy look so far.
Just because I think it's cool how well they translated these into the game:

Double Helix staircase in Anor Londo:
1ChambordDoubleHelixStairs.jpg
(Chateau de Chambord, Chambord)

Anor Londo church design:

(Duomo, Milan)

Their design inspiration for the Dark Souls human-architecture ranged from the Middle Ages to Gothic to Renaissance architecture, and they've done a tremendous job translating those very faithfully.

The axe was not blocked or dodged. There are very similar "insta-death" occurences exactly like this in Dark Souls and Demon Souls. More specifically, if the player gets careless, like this guy did, and just begins swinging his sword around at absolutely nothing like a complete moron...

So really, do not worry about this at all.

inordDzzx1YTK.gif
dat clipping

And don't give me the "it's early" spiel. I know it is, but their engine just doesn't handle collision detection with angled surfaces well at all. Not in Demon's, not in Dark, and it doesn't look like it will here. C'mon From, step up your game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If I am not mistaken, Miyazaki's ideas for the game are based on what he the thought of European myths when he was a child. He didn't have the full picture of the foreign mythology so he made up the parts that weren't clear to him. The souls game are really composed of an odd mixture of European, Japanese and whatever he thinks of.

I know about the heavy European influence of the early games, it's just that this seems more... European, which is not a helpful description for anyone. :p

Portugeezer

Gold Member
I mean it's 30 fps lock since framerate goes even lower than that sometimes (but only for a very brief moment and it's not a drastic drop). Perhaps I'm wrong, maybe it's the way that the video has been recorded.

Overall, if that's a PC version, I am very unimpressed with graphics. On the other hand, it looks quite good for a console version. Guess we'll have to wait for an official statement regarding the platform demo ran on.

Could be the video, no way to tell I guess. But console is probably the main platform, it's also an unfinished product.

To be fair, the same sort of instance happened with the first dragon you see in Dark Souls. How was I supposed to know he was going to light the entire bridge on fire the moment I stepped on it? lol

You can survive that though from what I remember, you just need enough health (but not knowing you need full health at that moment is what probably kills people the most).

Anyway, I don't mind those moments too much if they're easy to access again and I don't have to risk losing all my souls trying to get back there. I don't even have the game and I'm wondering already what they will have us do to get past the bridge.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Baka gaijin asked for PC version. I hope you like your baby version for babies that play baby games! Enjoy being coddled like the pathetic child baby that cries for baby things.

It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it!

DID I SEE INSTANT-DEATH BULLSHIT BLOCKING PATHS? IS THAT WHAT DUDE IS INTERPRETING AS THE 'DIFFICULTY' THAT PEOPLE LOVE THE SOULS GAMES FOR? DIFFERENT WAYS OF DYING? I ONLY WANT TO DIE WHEN I FUCK UP. YOU BETTER NOT. YOU BETTER FUCKING NOT. FALLING BRIDGES? INSTA-DEATH AXE THROWS? YOU BETTER...YOU BETTER NOT RUIN THIS.

What? he got insta killed because he fucked up. He miss hit the thrown axe completely

I'm not worried about this game's direction at all anymore.

Really digging some of the new effects. The blood sprays, healing effect, fog wall, fire embers in the air, etc. all look great and are a nice step up from the original.

Orayn

dat clipping

And don't give me the "it's early" spiel. I know it is, but their engine just doesn't handle collision detection with angled surfaces well at all. Not in Demon's, not in Dark, and it doesn't look like it will here. C'mon From, step up your game.

Does any engine, really? It's not like you can really prevent it apart from using pure physics (and thus ragdolls) or putting in an entire animation system that makes characters carefully hold things away from surfaces like walls or floors. The latter gives us wonderful things like Nathan Drake leaning over and brushing his hand across every random object he gets close enough to.

nice.

can't really tell, but the second gif gives me 60 fps vibes.

It's 30FPS video, being played back about 10% faster due to the way GIFs work.

Akainu

They removed the rag doll physics!!! Why?? Now when enemies die they just shatter and disappear. I guess thats what they removed to get better performance. Messing around with dead bodies was fun.
Big guys usually disappear like the fat guys in blight town. The dog was still there.

Also a correction the health bar was fine I was just watching a small video so I couldn't see it properly.

Haunted

Character seems to float abit to much above ground atm, imo. Will probably be fixed, though.
Get some SSAO in there, stat! Enabling it in DSFix made a big difference for Dark Souls, imo.

nice.

can't really tell, but the second gif gives me 60 fps vibes.
I assume that's because it's sped up. Definitely faster/smoother than it was in the video.

edit: beaten by Orayn

Does any engine, really? It's not like you can really prevent it apart from using pure physics (and thus ragdolls) or putting in an entire animation system that makes characters carefully hold things away from surfaces like walls or floors. The latter gives us wonderful things like Nathan Drake leaning over and brushing his hand across every random object he gets close enough to.
There has to be a way to prevent clipping of that magnitude in a modern, high profile video game in 2013, surely. The whole axe and his upper body are flat out vanishing into the world geometry.

tokkun

DID I SEE INSTANT-DEATH BULLSHIT BLOCKING PATHS? IS THAT WHAT DUDE IS INTERPRETING AS THE 'DIFFICULTY' THAT PEOPLE LOVE THE SOULS GAMES FOR? DIFFERENT WAYS OF DYING? I ONLY WANT TO DIE WHEN I FUCK UP. YOU BETTER NOT. YOU BETTER FUCKING NOT. FALLING BRIDGES? INSTA-DEATH AXE THROWS? YOU BETTER...YOU BETTER NOT RUIN THIS.

Same sort of blocking path death happens when you try to go to Four Kings without having the right ring. Or how about getting killed the first time you encounter a Mimic? That's why the game has the Orange Soapstone.

Looks good. Aesthetic is still very much Dark/Demon's Souls and I am happy to see so many Wyvern and Dragons. It does seem like you have access to a lot more weapons which I don't know if I really like - especially for the sake of invasions. It is bad enough dealing with two weapons but being able to quick switch between two and a bow might make things very nasty when lag is involved.

I haven't played Demon's Souls in a while, but I think that using Herbs is quite quick. Unfortunately I thought that the Estus Flask was a lot better as it made things much more tense and made duels nerve wracking. The heal stones look to be about as cumbersome as using humanity to heal which may drag out matches if you can carry a lot of them.

I am a bit disappointed in this initial reveal. I would have preferred they show off some insane and scary looking bosses rather than talk about reactive gameplay as though the AI in Dark Souls wasn't already aggressive.

I really hope that they bring back some form of world tendency and many more NPC Dark/Light Phantoms - this is the one area where Demon's Souls is significantly better than Dark Souls (in my opinion). Ok, I also hope to see more boss fights like Artorias and Kalameet (and Flamelurker!).

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
The Bad:
  • DID I SEE INSTANT-DEATH BULLSHIT BLOCKING PATHS? IS THAT WHAT DUDE IS INTERPRETING AS THE 'DIFFICULTY' THAT PEOPLE LOVE THE SOULS GAMES FOR? DIFFERENT WAYS OF DYING? I ONLY WANT TO DIE WHEN I FUCK UP. YOU BETTER NOT. YOU BETTER FUCKING NOT. FALLING BRIDGES? INSTA-DEATH AXE THROWS? YOU BETTER...YOU BETTER NOT RUIN THIS.
/QUOTE]

Despite my joke impressions, I do agree with this. I really do hope there are not a bunch of auto-death scripted events where it's unavoidable. Dark Souls had the dragon fire bridge after Taurus demon, which was kind of close I guess, but you I'm pretty sure you could live through the first with a little health. Only other one I can think of right now is the first encounter with Seath, which was dumb.

Cause you played Demon's and your Soul Sense was tingling. I saw that shit comin immediately. I still ran out there and felt the burn.

This is actually probably true. I didn't play much of Demon, so Dark Souls was my first real jump into the series.

You can survive that though from what I remember, you just need enough health (but not knowing you need full health at that moment is what probably kills people the most).

Anyway, I don't mind those moments too much if they're easy to access again and I don't have to risk losing all my souls trying to get back there. I don't even have the game and I'm wondering already what they will have us do to get past the bridge.

I had to take off all of my armor and just mad dash. Of course, that was after the fact lol

However - facing off against the Titanite Demons at the bottom of Sen's Fortress was insanely frustrating because they could easily clip through walls, reaching you when you had nowhere to dodge to (and those two were more powerful than all the rest so one hit could wipe out all of your stamina and much of your health).

Orayn

Very pretty dynamic lighting.

iblmoNXf9zol7v.gif

There has to be a way to prevent clipping of that magnitude in a modern, high profile video game in 2013, surely. The whole axe and his upper body are flat out vanishing into the world geometry.

There's no silver bullet. Either you make the dead player a ragdoll, or you implement a pretty serious animation blending that has to be able to accommodate the dimensions of every possible thing that could be attached to or sticking out of a character's model.

The Bad:
  • DID I SEE INSTANT-DEATH BULLSHIT BLOCKING PATHS? IS THAT WHAT DUDE IS INTERPRETING AS THE 'DIFFICULTY' THAT PEOPLE LOVE THE SOULS GAMES FOR? DIFFERENT WAYS OF DYING? I ONLY WANT TO DIE WHEN I FUCK UP. YOU BETTER NOT. YOU BETTER FUCKING NOT. FALLING BRIDGES? INSTA-DEATH AXE THROWS? YOU BETTER...YOU BETTER NOT RUIN THIS.
/QUOTE]

Despite my joke impressions, I do agree with this. I really do hope there are not a bunch of auto-death scripted events where it's unavoidable. Dark Souls had the dragon fire bridge after Taurus demon, which was kind of close I guess, but you I'm pretty sure you could live through the first with a little health. Only other one I can think of right now is the first encounter with Seath, which was dumb.
Another one can be the first mimic. I was really fucking surprised lol

Zaventem

You can avoid Seath the first time you meet him,you can go out the doorway even though it's fogged up.Most people don't bring a sacrifice ring so they probably lose everything.

UrbanRats

Very pretty dynamic lighting.

iblmoNXf9zol7v.gif

There's no silver bullet. Either you make the dead player a ragdoll, or you implement a pretty serious animation blending that has to be able to accommodate the dimensions of every possible thing that could be attached to or sticking out of a character's model.

That walking animation is.. fabulous?

Also i'm all for ragdoll once you're dead.

2 deaths within 6 minutes

We want the player to experience all kinds of deaths and variations of deaths.

Dark Souls 2 is definitely not getting dumbed down guys.

SOO AMPED!

Some of the best creature designs of all time. That city of dragons and hippopotamus cyclops.
Just amazing creativity.

NIN90

That backwards slam was awesome. Looks like they are playing with expactations of veterans which is always awesome.

Once you reduce the size to 50% on the PC you can't go back to gigantic HUD elements.

Guess it is good I never used that mod. Or did they automatically reduce it for the PC version?

Dark Souls 2 is definitely not getting dumbed down guys.

I just hope it doesn't become dumb in the other direction. The only unfair deaths I've had thus far in Dark Souls were at the Capra Demon (died before I could even blink), the bridge dragon (walking and suddenly lit on fire!), and -maybe- Ornstein and Smough though to be fair I wasn't patient.

Every other death has been caused by me rushing and failing to be patient. I hope they don't put in deaths that can only be avoided by being psychic or having gone through the game once before. I want my deaths to come only from my own mistakes.

Boss Man

Same sort of blocking path death happens when you try to go to Four Kings without having the right ring. Or how about getting killed the first time you encounter a Mimic? That's why the game has the Orange Soapstone.
Mimics are not insta-kills, and falling off of those stairs is an assumed instant death in the first place. It's an exception that you can survive with the ring.

semiconscious

Gold Member
This is pretty much how I feel as well. Dark Souls had some really beautiful and varied environments, and while the team is probably barely halfway through development, the dark halls and muddy colors in this preview didn't really do much for me. That bridge with all of the dragons soaring overhead looked awesome, though.

same. reminded me of the first area of dark souls, which maybe is what this mostly was - the intro area...

Mimics are not insta-kills, and falling off of those stairs is an assumed instant death in the first place. It's an exception that you can survive with the ring.

Man stop making up crap to fit your argument. The deaths in the video for DS 2 were perfectly avoidable and stuff was changed around for the presentation too. Sometimes he took fuck all damage and other times he was one shotted.

Boss Man

Yeah, Seath was an actual example of this. But it's also required and part of the path, so while it's dumb at least it's part of the progression. If that bridge has to collapse to progress the game, then that's dumb but not any worse than Seath. If it doesn't, then that doesn't seem 'fair', which is what makes the difficulty of the Souls games so enjoyable.

Man stop making up crap to fit your argument. The deaths in the video for DS 2 were perfectly avoidable and stuff was changed around for the presentation too. Sometimes he took fuck all damage and other times he was one shotted.
I don't agree with an automatic one-hit kill like that, even if it is avoidable. I guess that's arguable though.

What isn't is that the player walked out onto a bridge and it triggered a scripted event that collapsed it and killed the player.

Notice I'm not arguing about the almost unavoidable chariot death that would surely terrify and then piss me off the first time I encountered it. There's a difference between these things. The chariot was fucking awesome and I would love to be pissed at that.

Top Bottom