• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How's the Xbox 360 DVD playback?

Saw this posted on b3d: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2088531,00.asp and the reviewer doesn't seem too happy about it, though I've never read anything bad about it.

First, let's take a look at the HQV benchmark disc. The HQV benchmark DVD is produced by Silicon Optix as a means for testing the video processors in many devices, from DVD players to the latest televisions. PCMagazine uses it regularly to test HDTVs, and it has become pretty widely known in the A/V industry. The series of tests are designed to stress de-interlacing algorithms, cadence detection, noise reduction, and detail enhancement.

(Xbox 360 scores 20/130)

Even a typical $50 DVD player usually has a score of 35 or better.
There are some comparison screenshots, but they're comparing it to an 800 USD DVD player so it's somewhat unfair.

It's about as bad as the PS2 player was.

So if you never had a problem with it, you won't have one with this either.

Basically, if you look for problems you will find them. A $60 quality standalone player is almost always superior to a console, which plays DVDs as a second-fiddle feature.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Honestly, anyone concerned about the variance in picture quality resulting from which DVD player they choose beyond it being progressive-scan or not really should be using a stand-alone player, not a console (epsecially one that sounds like a jet engine of an airplane)

Ryck

Dr. Zoidberg said:

Basically, if you look for problems you will find them. A $60 quality standalone player is almost always superior to a console, which plays DVDs as a second-fiddle feature.

Imo the ps2 one is slightly better, maybe because I have an lcd but the ps2 produces better black levels and a richer picture.

VALIS

shagg_187 said:
I see you don't own a DVD Player that upconverts to HD :)

I've owned several DVD players that up convert, and the 360 via VGA is the best DVD picture I've seen. Better than my expensive Oppo and Zenith players. It's gorgeous.

JdFoX187

Banned
Meh...I use my 360 as a DVD player sometimes in my bedroom when I don't feel like going in the living room or if that tv's taken. I've never noticed any problems with it. If anything, it actually looks better than the DVD player I have right now.

dante786

Banned
This may be a stupid obvious question, but how do I get my 360 to upconvert dvd's? Will it do it automatically, I've got it hooked up to my lcd tv through VGA. Also, will it display in widescreen, or is it gonna be bordered, and finally, whats a good dvd to test the pic quality with, hopefully this isn't asking too much. Thanks GAF <3

The DVD playback on the X360 looks pretty good to me. I think the PS3 DVD playback look slightly richer and more vibrant, but the playback on the X360 is good enough.

dante786 said:
This may be a stupid obvious question, but how do I get my 360 to upconvert dvd's? Will it do it automatically, I've got it hooked up to my lcd tv through VGA. Also, will it display in widescreen, or is it gonna be bordered, and finally, whats a good dvd to test the pic quality with, hopefully this isn't asking too much. Thanks GAF <3

I've heard that the 360 upconverts DVDs when connected via VGA, but no one has ever supported thsi claim with any type of evidence...

Where it says it in the manual or being confirmed by Microsoft, comparison pictures, or even a screen capture that shows the resolution like this...

720pvb6.jpg

Rhazer Fusion said:
The DVD playback on the X360 looks pretty good to me. I think the PS3 DVD playback look slightly richer and more vibrant, but the playback on the X360 is good enough.

PS3's DVD playback is comparable to upper echelon of DVD players. It's REALLY REALLY good. Depending on the HDTV you have, it can look almost hidef. I can only imagine how good it can look when upscaling is enabled.

Check this out.

Pioneer DVD player upscaling to 1080i

JBSD2.jpg

PS3 at 480p

JBPS3.jpg

HD DVD at 1080i. Keep in mind, this is actual HD DVD, not a DVD like the other 2.

JBHD2.jpg

Uncle

SlaughterX said:
Where it says it in the manual or being confirmed by Microsoft, comparison pictures, or even a screen capture that shows the resolution like this...

Well here's one picture.

It really does upscale DVDs with the VGA. It was added in one of the updates (the spring one I think).

Treo360

Dr. Zoidberg said:

In my experience I would have to disagree. the Ps2's playback was adequate for sure, however the 360 connected via vga looks great. This is of course not a fair comparison as the ps2's max output is @ 480p, however I find that the colors and even blacks are more richer in the 360 vs the ps2.

PS2 DVD player sucks because it doesn't play burned discs well (at least my first-gen slim model doesn't, they skip all over the place).

Also 1360x768 is a weird resolution...

Meier

I've never had any problems personally... and there's no way it's anything close to the PS2. The PS2 doesn't read scratched DVDs worth a damn while the 360 keeps plugging along. The HD DVD add-on of course looks incredible as well.

When i had the xbox 2 and played DVDs on the thing it was horrible.
Possibly the worst image quality i've experienced with a dvd player.
I compared it to a Sony Multi disc all in one DVD stereo system which was connected via S-VIDEO and the Sony destroyed the Xbox which was running at 720P thru component.
Useless as a DVD player, i give it about a 4 out of 10.

KTallguy

Banned
Meier said:
I've never had any problems personally... and there's no way it's anything close to the PS2. The PS2 doesn't read scratched DVDs worth a damn while the 360 keeps plugging along. The HD DVD add-on of course looks incredible as well.

My PS2 reads semi scratched discs fine. Obviously if there's a big scratch that's not going to be good. But I've played lots of burned DVDs on my PS2 and have had 0 issues.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Rather than talking about anecdotes and saying "WELL I LIKE MINE", why not actually look at the tests done in the article with reference to a specific test suite DVD?

Hunter D

DarkJediKnight said:
PS3's DVD playback is comparable to upper echelon of DVD players. It's REALLY REALLY good. Depending on the HDTV you have, it can look almost hidef. I can only imagine how good it can look when upscaling is enabled.

Check this out.

http://members.shaw.ca/VTXtreme/JBSD2.jpg[

PS3 at 480p

[img]http://members.shaw.ca/VTXtreme/JBPS3.jpg[/

HD DVD at 1080i. Keep in mind, this is actual HD DVD, not a DVD like the other 2.

[img]http://members.shaw.ca/VTXtreme/JBHD2.jpg[[/QUOTE]
The HD DVD looks much better than the other 2.

Serapth Ultima said:
I put the DVD in the damn thing and it played. Good enough for me.

I have the HD-DVD add-on. DVD quality is quite nice from it. I don't get the hate.

Of course, HD-DVDs look amazing in their own right.

M_A_C

Upscaling to 1080p with VGA for me. Looks great but it also depends on the DVD your playing, for instance Curb Your Enthusiasm which is 4x3 and not great quality to begin with looks kinda crappy.

Banned
VALIS said:
I've owned several DVD players that up convert, and the 360 via VGA is the best DVD picture I've seen. Better than my expensive Oppo and Zenith players. It's gorgeous.
:lol Either you have the cheap 970HD, (designed for use with external video processors) need your eyes checked, don't know what to look for, or you're flat-out lying. My Oppo DV971H blows away the 360 in every aspect. (and the majority of DVD players out there)

The 360 DVD player is horrible, I honestly didn't know DVDs could look this bad.

painey

the 360 as a dvd player isnt really an option for me as for some reason it skips or loses sync on most of my titles, even my launch one that broke did it too.

pestul

andrewfee said:
:lol Either you have the cheap 970HD, (designed for use with external video processors) need your eyes checked, don't know what to look for, or you're flat-out lying. My Oppo DV971H blows away the 360 in every aspect. (and the majority of DVD players out there)

The 360 DVD player is horrible, I honestly didn't know DVDs could look this bad.
The 360 upscaling in VGA is leagues better than the standard component image.. so if you're comparing it to the VGA connection, then I'd have to disagree as well.

andrewfee said:

Have you tried over VGA?

I'm forced to use my 360 as my sole DVD player as it's the only console that can be connected via VGA to my monitor. It's an alright player, but sometimes it seems awfully dark/blurry/washed out. And the console's noise is goddamned awful. Fortunately I'm getting a direct component-to-VGA cable for my good old Pioneer DVD player. Then I won't have any complaints.

Joates

Banned
DarkJediKnight said:

Check this out.

*Pic*
PS3 at 480p

*Pic*

*Pic*

All the PS3 vs Pioneer shows is that your TV does a better job scaling than your Pio.

All the PS3 pic itself shows is how well the TV scales the 480p signal to its native res.

VALIS

andrewfee said:

You didn't even read my post, junior. I said the 360 DVD player THROUGH VGA is better than my Oppo (971H, yes). Through component, no way. But through VGA? Into my Dell 24" 1080p monitor? Hell yes. Have you seen the 360 play a DVD through VGA into a great monitor? No? Then STFU.

bigswords

VALIS said:
You didn't even read my post, junior. I said the 360 DVD player THROUGH VGA is better than my Oppo (971H, yes). Through component, no way. But through VGA? Into my Dell 24" 1080p monitor? Hell yes. Have you seen the 360 play a DVD through VGA into a great monitor? No? Then STFU.

Agreed, after u tweaked the dell 24 in service menu, xbox 360 video playback through VGA looks really good.

Ohh BTW the dell 24 is 1080P through VGA and DVI, but component MAX supported is 1080i.

Top Bottom