• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Performs Worse Than PS3 As A Blu-ray & DVD Player

Until Sony releases a proper, first party, Blu Ray remote for the PS4 I'll continue to use my PS3 for BR/DVD/Netflix/Amazon.

Can't stand using the PS4 controller to navigate basic functions like pop-up menu and scene skipping.

Wait, PS4 doesn't support Netflix?

The fuck?
Netflix support has been on PS4 since day one.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Wait, PS4 doesn't support Netflix?

The fuck?
It does, but the app is arguably not up to par with PS3 one - it lacks the 5.1 sound support (although I think the UI is better/faster). PS4 also lacks the Youtube app, which is probably the best PS3 video app, and lacks 3D BD support.

It does, but the app is arguably not up to par with PS3 one - it lacks the 5.1 sound support (although I think the UI is better/faster). PS4 also lacks the Youtube app, which is probably the best PS3 video app, and lacks 3D BD support.

WHAT?! PS3 has a dedicated Youtube app?!

This is expected due to the rush to release both consoles seem to have endured. Similar to the PS3, which was one of the first blu-ray players that stayed ahead of the pack due to the online updating, this will certainly be improved over time.

Good lord, how did I miss this?!
It's the PlayStation store's fault. It's not really that well designed and thus, people seldom travel to the different sections such as apps. Too much clutter, the search is terrible, and the fact that they play tiny videos in the vertical ad banners is awful.

Hell, most people who own the Pulse Elite headset don't even know you can download a free app from the store to customize the presets (the ones that are designed with certain trigger envelopes for the bass impact and sound EQ). There is even a preset for The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, and GTAV.

Edit - Damn, took way too long to figure out how to find all the apps on the WEB STORE too. Anyway, here you go:

All apps for PS3 https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...apps/cid=STORE-MSF77008-ALLAPPS|platform~ps3|

RedAssedApe

Banned
Did PS3 blur-ray playback have any similar issues at launch or was it all pretty much hunkydory.

Legit question, if people claim they can't tell difference between 720p and 1080p in gaming will they be able to see this? I don't even understand most of what they are talking about but wall of text usually means bad? haha

It's the PlayStation store's fault. It's not really that well designed and thus, people seldom travel to the different sections such as apps. Too much clutter, the search is terrible, and the fact that they play tiny videos in the vertical ad banners is awful.

Could have sworn all the of the video apps were listed in the video section of the xmb even if you hadn't downloaded it yet? I never recalled ever having to dig through the store.

Banned
Damn. My two major anime collections are DVDs and I wanted to rewatch naruto since I scored the first 8 box sets of shippuden on Black Friday for cheap. I wonder how they will play on the ps4? Might just stick to my Blu ray player or ps3.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
At least, the PS4 doesn’t make the Xbox One’s mistake of outputting 50hz content as 60hz

Good lord MS. What are you doing?

mobius006

issue is the app, not ps4.. netflix has 5.1. set the ps4 to dts audio.

Could have sworn all the of the video apps were listed in the video section of the xmb even if you hadn't downloaded it yet? I never recalled ever having to dig through the store.
Nope, and in fact I'm glad they aren't as there are a lot of them. If you see the link I posted above you'll find a lot more apps than on your PS3. In fact I recently got Crunchy Roll and Crackle to see what they're all about.

I think only a few have shown up during firmware updates and such, like Netflix and Hulu.

leadbelly

Banned
Well, it's an issue, but as most people have 1080p TVs, and the majority of the content they watch on it is going to be in 1080p, it's somewhat irrelevant for the most part.

leadbelly

Banned
I think the lack of a remote control is a much bigger issue than crappy deinterlacing.

Now, I don't really see this as much of an issue either. A remote control's main purpose is to control your TV or device from your couch. As the controller is actually wireless, that problem at least is solved.

I suppose it boils down to how well the interface works with the controller. I don't really see it as being particularly bad at the moment, and I imagine it will only be improved in later updates.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Ps4 is being designed first and foremost as a gaming machine: Cool!

Ps4 has lagging media features which need to be updated: DAMMMMN YOU SONNNYYYY!!!!
It's not about whether it manages to be more adept at multimedia; just about whether it simply manages to be *as* adept as its predecessor. It's not like there's been any major firmware updates in the past year or more that have made PS3's multimedia capabilities a constantly moving target.

I mean, I made my peace with the fact that they weren't going to pursue any sort of backward compatibility on the game front, but the least they could have done is focus on some damn OS feature parity.

Yoday

So let me get this straight, the complaints this review mentions are related to DVD playback?
Not even that, it is related to interlaced content. Most DVD's are flagged for 480p, not 480i. This is a "problem" that will affect practically nobody (I can't speak for European territories). I'm pretty sure the only interlaced anything that I have viewed in over a decade were older console games, which I play on their respective systems.

The one thing that absolutely does make it worse BD player than the PS3 is the lack of remote support. I still use my PS3 for BD's for that reason alone.

dEvAnGeL

why of course, i bought a ps4 at release to play bluray movies...., it will be patched and fixed just like the ps3 was

Not even that, it is related to interlaced content. Most DVD's are flagged for 480p, not 480i. This is a "problem" that will affect practically nobody (I can't speak for European territories). I'm pretty sure the only interlaced anything that I have viewed in over a decade were older console games, which I play on their respective systems.

The one thing that absolutely does make it worse BD player than the PS3 is the lack of remote support. I still use my PS3 for BD's for that reason alone.

The thread title is certainly misleading.

don't like to waste the laser heads playing blurays and dvds anyhow.

only games.

The great thing about the ps3 is that you can rip your dvds and blurays and play the video files through the built in video player. I wonder if the ps4 will ever be able to do something like that.

SolidC213

I just wish I could turn off my controller and have the movie I was watching continue to play. Right now turning off the controller causes the movie to stay paused. So lame. Maybe someone here knows something I don't?

mf.luder

My current gaming setup is as follows:

PS4: current
PS3: media
Xbox 360: backlog

Shortly the PS3 will also move to backlog status and that will be nice, free up some room in the entertainment centre.

I'm really tempted to just wait for the first hardware revision. The lack of DNLA, 3D blu-ray, 5GHz Wifi, and various other quirks has me sitting on the sidelines.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This will probably never happen, but I wish PS4 would let me play audio from my smartphone, through bluetooth, AirPlay, whatever. That's really the media solution I need in 2013.

satam55

Banned
I'm really tempted to just wait for the first hardware revision. The lack of DNLA, 3D blu-ray, 5GHz Wifi, and various other quirks has me sitting on the sidelines.

DLNA & 3D Blu-Ray playback can added with a system firmware update. But, Dual-band WiFi is definitely gonna require Sony to release a PS4 hardware revision/new model with an updated wireless chip.

VanWinkle

Ps4 is being designed first and foremost as a gaming machine: Cool!

Ps4 has lagging media features which need to be updated: DAMMMMN YOU SONNNYYYY!!!!

Ehh, I don't think it's quite that simple. There are things you come to expect, but that doesn't mean you want them expanding in major ways non-gaming things. Just because I wanted the "next-gen" features to be mostly gaming-related, that doesn't mean I thought it wouldn't have equally good media playback support compared to PS3, if not a little better.

So, yeah, I wanted a gaming first device, but I'm still quite disappointed.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The PS3 is considered 1 of the best Blu-ray players on the market, bar none.

No, it was the best when it launched, but now it doesn't even rank. PS4 at launch was possibly the worst Blu-ray player ever sold, even counting cheap Chinese brands. I haven't used it for Blu-ray since before the stability patch, though.

It's almost like people have different wants and desires from a platform.

We have a console for that, it's called the xbox one.

Both systems were rushed. The wii u was rushed. Every fucking system ever was rushed. The firmware/apps/media/etc of all systems will get better over time.

You can get upset about it... or you can realize that when Sony said they were games focused and that Microsoft said that they were media focused that they actually meant it. Microsoft's party system is a step backwards. Sony's blu ray is a step backwards. Both will be fixed.

Wait, is this because I'm old? Are you guys experiencing your first launch as adults? Fuck i hate being old.

Both systems were rushed. The wii u was rushed. Every fucking system ever was rushed. The firmware/apps/media/etc of all systems will get better over time.

You can get upset about it... or you can realize that when Sony said they were games focused and that Microsoft said that they were media focused that they actually meant it. Microsoft's party system is a step backwards. Sony's blu ray is a step backwards. Both will be fixed.

Wait, is this because I'm old? Are you guys experiencing your first launch as adults? Fuck i hate being old.

100% agree with all of your post including the part about getting old.

BocoDragon

Even for the rest of us who are old, I think there is an increasing reliance this launch cycle on promising later firmware updates to just get the consoles out the door.

PS3 was definitely improved over patches... but a lot of the functionality was at least there on day one, out of the box (ie played CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays, and PS1, 2, etc)

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Even for the rest of us who are old, I think there is an increasing reliance on the later firmware updates in getting consoles out the door.

PS3 was definitely improved over patches... but a lot of the functionality was at least there on day one, out of the box (ie played CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays, and PS1, 2, etc)

And SACD, amazingly. And my first launch as (technically) an adult was the Atari Jaguar. Which I bought, lol.

manhack

It didn't take me long to figure this out without even reading it on the internet.

So far my PS3 is still my Netflix, Blu-ray, streaming device. I see no reason for that to stop anytime soon.

BocoDragon

And SACD, amazingly.

That's true. I have the launch PS3. All them format logos on the top of the machine. What a beast.

If I weren't ripping my media to PC, it'd still be the absolute centerpiece of my living room.

Top Bottom