• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Performs Worse Than PS3 As A Blu-ray & DVD Player

No shock there. Both consoles are billing themselves as great media boxes for the living room but offer severely gimped media support and features compared to last gen. Some things that don't support are media formats that have been supported in every device with a disc drive since the Sega CD back in the early early 90s.

satam55

Banned
We have a console for that, it's called the xbox one.

Both systems were rushed. The wii u was rushed. Every fucking system ever was rushed. The firmware/apps/media/etc of all systems will get better over time.

You can get upset about it... or you can realize that when Sony said they were games focused and that Microsoft said that they were media focused that they actually meant it. Microsoft's party system is a step backwards. Sony's blu ray is a step backwards. Both will be fixed.

Wait, is this because I'm old? Are you guys experiencing your first launch as adults? Fuck i hate being old.
pacspit.gif
FUCK THAT NOISE! I've used my PS3 this entire generation as a Media Hub 1st, Game Console 2nd. I want to be able to do the same thing with the PS4. Sony better get off their asses & add more media/social/entertainment features & apps to the PS4..

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
No shock there. Both consoles are billing themselves as great media boxes for the living room but offer severely gimped media support and features compared to last gen. Some things that don't support are media formats that have been supported in every device with a disc drive since the Sega CD back in the early early 90s.

It's all been going downhill since the PS1 didn't support CD+G.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
issue is the app, not ps4.. netflix has 5.1. set the ps4 to dts audio.
I know. I think that's the least of the problems anyway. Video quality on netflix doesn't warrant 5.1 sound for all I care anyway. Much bigger media problems on PS4 are the lack of DLNA, and lack of external drive support for any kind of media, meaning we have no way of playing MP3s or Videos of any non-streaming kind on it.

The drive noise during BRD movie playback clinches it for me though, I practically can't use PS4 *any* media playback, except for the Crackle , and renting movies on Video store sometimes (I don't have netflix, as I watch older stuff once in a blue moon)

The funny thing is... because this is PS4 people just say, "no biggie they'll patch it" but if it was Xbox One, they would grab their pitchforks

coldfoot

Banned
Here is how I solved the following problems on the PS4:

- Blu-ray/DVD playback.
- MP3 playback
- DLNA
- Wobble
- Backwards Compatibility

7OreIlb.jpg

Kuro

- Blu-ray/DVD playback.
- MP3 playback
- DLNA
- Wobble

7OreIlb.jpg

So scratches all over the glossy part of your PS4 and quite possibly drastically reducing its lifetime because of heat?

VillageBC

- Blu-ray/DVD playback.
- MP3 playback
- DLNA
- Wobble

7OreIlb.jpg

That's how I solved my problem exactly.

I will also most likely be transition to SteamOS/Box for media centre capabilities. It seems far more likely that the Linux communities will do a far better and quicker job addressing media issues then Sony and not introduce more DRM in the process.

pacspit.gif
FUCK THAT NOISE! I've used my PS3 this entire generation as a Media Hub 1st, Game Console 2nd. I want to be able to do the same thing with the PS4. Sony better get off their asses & add more media/social/entertainment features & apps to the PS4..

Yeah!

Off their asses. Because they are all just chilling out, not working on anything. Just being lazy and rolling around in your money.

If you thought the ps4 was going to be a good media hub at launch you weren't paying attention. It's that simple.

mobius006

I know. I think that's the least of the problems anyway. Video quality on netflix doesn't warrant 5.1 sound for all I care anyway. Much bigger media problems on PS4 are the lack of DLNA, and lack of external drive support for any kind of media, meaning we have no way of playing MP3s or Videos of any non-streaming kind on it.

The drive noise during BRD movie playback clinches it for me though, I practically can't use PS4 *any* media playback, except for the Crackle , and renting movies on Video store sometimes (I don't have netflix, as I watch older stuff once in a blue moon)
Disagree..

Video quality is fine on netflix. For 9 bucks a month, I'll take it. Audio is the issue but that's another thread.

I have no sound bluray film wise that bothers me from it. If there was any it would drive me crazy, so your ears are way better than mine.

I see the rest of your issues solved in 6 months.

I think there is a difference between "rushed" and fixing more important priorities.

Does BR work? Yup. For now it's just basic that will get better over time. No electronic is ever finished out the box anymore. Almost everything has heavy updates now. I'm not making excuses for them. Stuff like MP3 and BT not making launch is a head scratcher. But they probably hit a little snag in development and will be fixed later. See no reason to delay a whole launch because of it.

jcm

Now, I don't really see this as much of an issue either. A remote control's main purpose is to control your TV or device from your couch. As the controller is actually wireless, that problem at least is solved.

I suppose it boils down to how well the interface works with the controller. I don't really see it as being particularly bad at the moment, and I imagine it will only be improved in later updates.

A controller is a poor replacement for a good remote. My remote takes a single button press to power on the tv, avr, and ps3. It sets all of the inputs where they should be, sets the receiver yo the right preset, etc. I use the same device to start the movie, pause the movie, adjust the volume, etc. I don't have to futz around with a controller.

I understand that this doesn't bother everyone, but that one-remote convenience is valuable enough to me that I paid $40 for an adapter which would let my remote control the ps3. Now, with the ps4, I'm back to square one, and this time I can't even spend money to fix it.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Ok seriously, how many people are reading the thread title and just charging right past the content?

This issue is for interlaced content only. I have my own problems with Bluray on PS4 but this is not one of them.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
So scratches all over the glossy part of your PS4 and quite possibly drastically reducing its lifetime because of heat?

PS4 has no vents on top.

Ranger X

Well, I am glad I am not concerned by those issues since I am never looking at 1080i or PAL stuff. I hope this will get fixed for my European cousins though.

Both systems were rushed. The wii u was rushed. Every fucking system ever was rushed. The firmware/apps/media/etc of all systems will get better over time.

You can get upset about it... or you can realize that when Sony said they were games focused and that Microsoft said that they were media focused that they actually meant it. Microsoft's party system is a step backwards. Sony's blu ray is a step backwards. Both will be fixed.

Wait, is this because I'm old? Are you guys experiencing your first launch as adults? Fuck i hate being old.

Well honestly both systems are failing on their focus right now. PS4 games are average. Kinect doesn't work that well. At least previous launches had backwards compatibility to help with the mediocrity and lack of games.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"

Why would age lend a more lenient perspective here? I've been gaming since the 2600 was on the market, seen my fair share of system launches. Nothing about that perspective makes me think we should let MS/Sony off the hook for not having things ready that have been on previous gen systems for years now. Rushed? These two dragged out this generation longer (before introducing new hardware) than just about any other gen that I can recall. They've had 7-8 yrs; "rushed" is hardly the term for what's happening here.

coldfoot

Banned
Why would I get scratches? PS3 has rubber feet at all 4 corners, and PS4 exhausts heat at the back not at the top. It's quite uncanny how close the sizes are, they're the same width and depth basically, and stack quite nicely.

You can also push down on the top left corner of the PS3 really hard and it still won't wobble, not that it matters.

Is there any indication of when a remote is coming? My limited experience with trying to control netflix with a gamepaid convinced me to never do it again.

I have one HDMI port left, my PS4 would replace my bluray player but I'm not going backward in functionality, not for what this thing costs. I spend more time watching streaming movies/TV than I do playing games.

And why didn't it launch with a remote, again?

Poona

Yeah, this is one of the reasons I haven't picked up a ps4 yet. Hurry up and at least match what the ps3 does with blu rays, sony! Need that 3d support.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I have no sound bluray film wise that bothers me from it. If there was any it would drive me crazy, so your ears are way better than mine.
I really wonder if I have a defective console though. It's clear as day to me when I play a BD disc that the drive spins noticeably faster/noisier during the first chapter of the movie than it does during anywhere in the 2nd half of the movie. This is not the case with PS3 at all, or any other BD player I've seen. I wonder if the issue is PS4s 6x speed BR drive in general, or if there's something wrong with my console.

Is there any indication of when a remote is coming? My limited experience with trying to control netflix with a gamepaid convinced me to never do it again.

I have one HDMI port left, my PS4 would replace my bluray player but I'm not going backward in functionality, not for what this thing costs. I spend more time watching streaming movies/TV than I do playing games.

And why didn't it launch with a remote, again?
You can generally use your TVs remote, if your TV supports HDMI-link (as most TVs made in the past few years do). You just have to enable the option on the TV as well as on PS4. I can control not just BD playback, but even PS4s UI, using the remote of my Panasonic TV.

So the Xbone only outputs at 60Hz, period?

If that's true and it's to accommodate for snap usage, they can't really fix that with an update can they?

Top Bottom