• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Virtua Fighter 5 Thread

Bebpo

Banned
TTP said:
Hey bedpo

I see in your pics that the "PRESS START TO PLAY" message is barely visible on the upper side of the screen. I've noticed that too with my copy of the game, albeit it's not that terrible (you can actually read that. It's just a little bit out of the screen).

Yeah, the game has a hell of a lot of overscan on my TV (XBR960). It's wierd because under display there is an X/Y axis adjuster but uhh...it doesn't let you select it. I guess you can only reposition in 480p?

But I don't really mind in most games if text at the top or bottom gets cut off as it's never anything important. Developers are at least smart enough to keep everything important within the overscan viewable window.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
If someone is playing this with a sixaxis only and only playing against the CPU, I am very interested in hearing your impressions. My experience with fighters in the past is that once I got to a certain point, unless I had human opponents to fight against, the game grew pretty tired. However, in the case of VF5, I have read that the numerous AI opponents and the unlockables make this game have high replay value. As time goes by, I am interested in hearing how compelling this game is and if it gives you more reasons to "beat" the game.

Manp

Bebpo said:
Yeah, the game has a hell of a lot of overscan on my TV (XBR960).

i've noticed the same thing in a photo of Lost Planet you posted some time ago... maybe you have something to adjust in your tv's service menu

:)

Bebpo

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
If someone is playing this with a sixaxis only and only playing against the CPU, I am very interested in hearing your impressions. My experience with fighters in the past is that once I got to a certain point, unless I had human opponents to fight against, the game grew pretty tired. However, in the case of VF5, I have read that the numerous AI opponents and the unlockables make this game have high replay value. As time goes by, I am interested in hearing how compelling this game is and if it gives you more reasons to "beat" the game.

The 1p is excellent and makes the game very fun to play even when other human players are not around.

The sixaxis OTOH is terrible. I couldn't pull off a lot of stuff that I could do easily with the stick, my right hand felt cramped keeping three fingers over squre/triangle/circle the whole time and because it's so uncomfortable it just doesn't feel "fun".

I dunno, my friend just plays with his thumb and the L1/L2/R1/R2 shortcuts and prefers it over using a stick so obviously there are ways to enjoy it. But if you don't use shortcuts, the controller is awful for VF. I remember the PS2 pad being better, but I think it's just that my PS2 d-pad is broken in and it's easier to go B->DF on that then the Sixaxis d-pad.

Bebpo

Banned
Manp said:
i've noticed the same thing in a photo of Lost Planet you posted some time ago... maybe you have something to adjust in your tv's service menu

:)

I think it probably has more to do with the resolution of my TV being closer to 1152 x 648i so when it shows a full 1280 x 720p image it cuts off. But yeah, I could fix it by messing around with the service menu but it doesn't bother me enough to make me care about doing that.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Bebpo said:
The 1p is excellent and makes the game very fun to play even when other human players are not around.

The sixaxis OTOH is terrible. I couldn't pull off a lot of stuff that I could do easily with the stick, my right hand felt cramped keeping three fingers over squre/triangle/circle the whole time and because it's so uncomfortable it just doesn't feel "fun".

I dunno, my friend just plays with his thumb and the L1/L2/R1/R2 shortcuts and prefers it over using a stick so obviously there are ways to enjoy it. But if you don't use shortcuts, the controller is awful for VF. I remember the PS2 pad being better, but I think it's just that my PS2 d-pad is broken in and it's easier to go B->DF on that then the Sixaxis d-pad.

Thanks. I think I will pass for now. I think I will focus on mastering the tracks in F1 and Motorstorm for the next few months. ;)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
For those who have played it, how does El Blaze sound FOR REAL?

DenogginizerOS said:

since none of my adapters work and I'm only orderering sticks in March or April (budget!), I will be using the Sixaxis, but I I'm buying the NA version on the 20th, I will be sure to post impressions

I have used the Sixaxis with VF4evo on BC, it's plays the same as the Dual Shock if you only use the face buttons. If you used the L2 shortuct of P+K+G on the Dual Shock, it feels really weird on the Sixaxis's L2 button. (when I play with a stick, I never use shortcuts.. but with the dual shock\ sixaxis I got the bad habbit of using the P+K+G shortcut_:p

The d-pad isn't as good as a Saturn pad, but at least your directional inputs are correctly inputed. The 270 degree throws may need practicing, and the DLC is impossible on a Dual Shock (for me). And the SPOD are doable but are alot harder to pull off on Sixaxis\Dual Shock

KTallguy

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
Thanks. I think I will pass for now. I think I will focus on mastering the tracks in F1 and Motorstorm for the next few months. ;)

I'll see you in Motorstorm online! :)

But maybe you can pick up VF5 later, it does have a lot of content..,

dallas79

Got my copy from Play Asia! It came with VF1 for PS2, very cool. Great game visually stunning. Finally a killer app for my PS3. Question to those who have the game, the rumored 1080p support seems nonexistent, at least I see no in game options to set it to 1080p. Just a soft and sharp option under screen settings...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
dallas79 said:
Got my copy from Play Asia! It came with VF1 for PS2, very cool. Great game visually stunning. Finally a killer app for my PS3. Question to those who have the game, the rumored 1080p support seems nonexistent, at least I see no in game options to set it to 1080p. Just a soft and sharp option under screen settings...
It's a PS3 game, you aren't going to see video options appear within a game. If it supports 1080p, it will automatically use it if you have it selected in the XMB video setup.

Bebpo

Banned
dark10x said:
It's a PS3 game, you aren't going to see video options appear within a game. If it supports 1080p, it will automatically use it if you have it selected in the XMB video setup.

Supposedly VF5 doesn't automatically use 1080i or 1080p. You have to deselect 480 and 720 under display to get them.

I guess this is because it's a 720p game and 1080i/1080p are just upscales.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Bebpo said:
Supposedly VF5 doesn't automatically use 1080i or 1080p. You have to deselect 480 and 720 under display to get them.

Yup, NBA2k7 is the same way.

grendelrt

dark10x said:

Thats not true. GT HD has an option for 720p or 1080i in its options. Very useful for people with 720p TVs that keep 1080i on for Blu Ray movies.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, FALSE ALARM on my comments with the sixaxis.

At lunch today I plugged in the Elecom adapter and a PS2 dualshock to try it out and I was pulling off moves and combos consistently just like using a stick. Yesterday I could not for the life of me pull off Akira's double palm D,B,F+P with the sixaxis, yet with the stick I don't even have to think about it. But with a PS2 dual shock I was doing it 100% of the time and doing my little easy/simple test combo of B,F+P -> D+P -> D,B,F+P with consistency and the game was pretty fun even using a standard dualshock.

So wondering what could be the big difference between the PS2 DS and the PS3 Sixaxis, I pulled the PS2 pad out and turned on the Sixaxis and suddenly (as opposed to yesterday) I was pulling off the double palm pretty consistently and it was pretty fun and the only difference I noticed was that about 50% of the time when I did the above combo I would end up doing a single palm of D,F+P instead of the D,B,F+P double palm.

My conclusion is that I was just really rusty after not having played VF in a LONG TIME (I dunno, 6-12 months after Evo?) and that's why I couldn't do anything with the Sixaxis, but after 5-6 hours of playing with a stick last night I'm back to normal and the Sixaxis generally works fine.

The main problem with the Sixaxis IMO is that HCF/HCB movements are a lot harder than they should be, especially when you have a small window to do them in. For example doing Wolf's B, DF+P -> HCF+P+G is REALLY HARD with a Sixaxis. But just doing HCF+P+G is not an issue with Sixaxis when you have all the time you need. It's just hard going from DF -> HCF on the d-pad. I think the PS2 dualshock is a little better for this, hence how I was pulling double palms with the DS and only single ones with PS3. The PS3 d-pad parts stick out more and it's harder to roll across them. Also because the L2/R2 are super sensitive and pull off moves even if you only brush your finger over them, I think those with the Elecom adapters & no sticks, would do better using PS2 pads. Still the Sixaxis seems generally fine. I'm sure casual players will have no problem just using the Sixaxis.

Bebpo

Banned
CO_Andy said:
Have you used any 3rd-party PS controllers in VF5 yet, Bebpo?

I can try a six button saturn-pad for PS2 butttttt I doubt it'll work. The PS2 dual shock doesn't work unless you hit the "analogue" button and the red light turns on. The other PS2 pads that don't have this button (aka joysticks, six-button pads) won't work :\

dallas79

Bebpo said:

Yup, I tried forcing 1080p via XBM and ugh, not very pretty. Oh well 720p is still quite nice.

damn UPS my copy is STILL at the UPS hub in HK. For those who have used UPS from PA before how long does it stay at the hub?

Bebpo

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
damn UPS my copy is STILL at the UPS hub in HK. For those who have used UPS from PA before how long does it stay at the hub?

Anywhere from a few hours to a day. Also the tracking info you get is often like 24 hours behind. I've had a package say it was still in HK and then 30 mins later I get it.

Bebpo said:
Anywhere from a few hours to a day. Also the tracking info you get is often like 24 hours behind. I've had a package say it was still in HK and then 30 mins later I get it.

Ah I C thnx alot man. Hype has reached a fever pitch for this game with my friends and I.

I don't even know what's going on with my order...

My joystick and game have been "Available/Reserved for your order/Ready for dispatch" for the last 20 hours or so...

This has to be the longest it's taken for stuff to ship from P-A for me...And WHY does it have to be this title?!

Mattlikewhoa said:
I don't even know what's going on with my order...

My joystick and game have been "Available/Reserved for your order/Ready for dispatch" for the last 20 hours or so...

This has to be the longest it's taken for stuff to ship from P-A for me...And WHY does it have to be this title?!

yea i live in Canada so i dont even know if it will be delivered to my door or if i will have to pick it up somewhere.

they usually come to your door, and if you are not there they will put a sticker on your mailbox with instructions or they will return the next day

if you are still not there, take that sticker and call them on the phone to pick it up at their station

haunts

Bacon of Hope
I am thinking of getting the sick now even though I dont have a PS3. I know these sticks will become a bitch to find after a while.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Bebpo said:
I can try a six button saturn-pad for PS2 butttttt I doubt it'll work. The PS2 dual shock doesn't work unless you hit the "analogue" button and the red light turns on. The other PS2 pads that don't have this button (aka joysticks, six-button pads) won't work :\

Wait, so the Dual Shock 2 DOES work with VF5 using the Elecom adaptor? I'd like to put off buying a second Sixaxis as long as I can. :)

Anyone know the retail price (as in Japan) for the stick, BTW? I don't think I can get it now, but I'd like to pick it up later on, I think.

DCharlie

Banned
a few pics - sorry, been stupid busy ...

383162561_ced8389339_b.jpg

383161988_046010bdf3_b.jpg

383161513_d6bbe11dfe_b.jpg

383160921_2fbabd7431_b.jpg

383160186_4646d18c3a_b.jpg

383159407_6a4fe6609d_b.jpg

Bebpo

Banned
Hehe, yeah that waterfall stage is my favorite stage :)

Lyte Edge said:
Wait, so the Dual Shock 2 DOES work with VF5 using the Elecom adaptor? I'd like to put off buying a second Sixaxis as long as I can. :)

Anyone know the retail price (as in Japan) for the stick, BTW? I don't think I can get it now, but I'd like to pick it up later on, I think.

Yes, the Dual Shock 2 works perfect as long as you press the analogue button. PS2 sticks don't work though.

Stick is 6980yen + tax.

Loops

Can somebody test the Virtua Stick on PS2 (USB) to see if it works ?
I'm considering buying it for Hokuto no ken + futur investment

Vrolokus

Banned
I want to strangle myself. I checked my Play-Asia order status today and it said "Apartment number missing - UPS trying to locate this information". I really wanted to blame PA for leaving it off, but when I checked my personal info I saw I must have forgotten to plug it in there. :mad:

I hope the UPS guy knows to just take it to my apartment's office. Otherwise, I wonder what will happen to it? Grrrr...

DCharlie

Banned
Dazzy : plain old 720p

man, what IS the deal with the initial boot up?! christ... what on earth is it doing??!!?

Bebpo

Banned
DCharlie said:
Dazzy : plain old 720p

man, what IS the deal with the initial boot up?! christ... what on earth is it doing??!!?

It's not the length, but the having to hit X and O so many goddamn times just to start the game...really really awful programming.

Dante

I'm frothing at the mouth at all these great games coming, and I guess it's a good thing that i'm on 7 day work weeks till beta.

My pick ups are gonna be over the next couple months:

VF5
Flow
F1
Calling all Cars
Tekken 5
Motorstorm
Blue Dragon
God of War 2

Jeez, I'm gonna be busy :)

Vrolokus said:
I want to strangle myself. I checked my Play-Asia order status today and it said "Apartment number missing - UPS trying to locate this information". I really wanted to blame PA for leaving it off, but when I checked my personal info I saw I must have forgotten to plug it in there. :mad:

I hope the UPS guy knows to just take it to my apartment's office. Otherwise, I wonder what will happen to it? Grrrr...

If you already have your tracking number, give UPS a call and get it sorted. It will arrive a lot quicker that way...

And still nothing for me...My poor game and joystick is just sitting in their warehouse waiting...

Vrolokus

Banned
Mattlikewhoa said:
If you already have your tracking number, give UPS a call and get it sorted. It will arrive a lot quicker that way...

Yeah... I just e-mailed Play-Asia for my tracking number. It's weird, it's showing shipping information and updates, but no actual tracking number.

Hopefully they can get it to me soon.

That's it. I'm caving in and buying a PS3 and a High Grade stick. I've held out long enough. I NEED this game on the US release date.

Top Bottom