• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Second Coming of Jesus (aka Super Paper Mario) slated for April 9th

tim1138

Clever Pun said:
there's plenty of stuff on newgrounds if you really want to see how the "bowser marrying peach" plays out...

I've gotten by this long with out knowing, and aside from PantherLotus saying she's under a spell, I think I can wait a few more months to find out. Thanks for the heads up though.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
PhoenixDark said:
So...how does this use the Wiimote?

wiiretrol.jpg

said:
Similar to playing NES games on the Virtual Console, the Wii Remote is held sideways, where the player moves using the control pad and jumps using the 2 button. Pressing the A Button (if the player's character is Mario) switches the viewpoint from 2D to 3D, or in other words, from a side-scroller to a third-dimensional landscape. This allows a more thorough sense of depth and more action taking place. However, this perspective is only temporary: when the player switches to 3D mode, a 10-second timer appears beneath the player's HP, as a row of rainbow-colored squares. When it reaches zero the perspective snaps back to 2D, and then slowly recovers.

It has been stated by Nintendo Power that as the player progresses he will pick up new allies called Pixls, which give the player new ways to use the Wii Remote in game. For example, one Pixl, named Tippy, allows the player to use the remote as a pointer, using it to find hidden objects and learn about enemies

:)

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Taurus said:
:O !

Nintendo of America reading GAF confirmed! But the question remains... Who is Nintendo representative here? I bet it's Shiggy!
PLENTY of people @ NOA read NeoGAF

Neomoto

April? Excellent! I hope to god a euro version won't take long.

Intelligent Systems is going strong btw, with already 3 games on the platform (if you count the soon to be released in Japan FE). :)

Amir0x

Banned
NOBODY DOES THE OFFICIAL THREAD FOR SUPER PAPER MARIO BUT ME

NO ONE

YOU HEAR THAT SUPERPANTHERLOTUS POSTER DUDE

NO OOOONE

Amir0x

Banned
nah you can do the official thread i'm just kidding

but it better be, quite literally, the BEST official thread ever conceived. If it does not meet that standard, all your official thread starting privileges will be revoked and I will personally come to your house and say mean things to you.

As I said before...

Super Paper Mario is an experiment in trying to squeeze the ultimate, ultra amount of pure awesome into one package. It took years of scientific research for them to figure out a way to fit that much pure awesome into a game without the awesome molecules collapsing in on itself. This achievement must be marked the same as if, say, a president died or as if japan just bombed pearl harbor.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I have a good history with official threads! look at my Zelda TP thread!

sorry Panther the official thread is mine! bwa ha ha ha ha

jk

With this game hitting very early April, and mario party pushed to June i've no doubts online is hitting end of May with MP3 And party as a follow up online title. a title of this calibre doesn't get dropped now unless you have something else needing the limelight ???

Amir0x

Banned
oh by the way if any game publication - online or print - gives this title less than a 10 across the board (unless their scoring system only goes up to 5 or something), then that magazine or website is henceforth banned from GAF.

tim1138

Amir0x said:
As I said before...

Super Paper Mario is an experiment in trying to squeeze the ultimate, ultra amount of pure awesome into one package. It took years of scientific research for them to figure out a way to fit that much pure awesome into a game without the awesome molecules collapsing in on itself. This achievement must be marked the same as if, say, a president died or as if japan just bombed pearl harbor.

Does the release of Super Paper Mario then usher in the next great collapse of the gaming industry then? After all no other game will be able to compete with its sheer amount of awesome and will bomb horribly. Nintendo really will kill the next gen! :lol

All kidding aside, SPM does look to be completely amazing, and when was the last time we got two brand new Mario platforming titles in one year (assuming Galaxy isnt delayed)?

Amir0x said:
oh by the way if any game publication - online or print - gives this title less than a 10 across the board (unless their scoring system only goes up to 5 or something), then that magazine or website is henceforth banned from GAF.

do you like this game? if so why?

I have not seen anything new about it since last years vids on the GCN
I am looking forward to it... but I still don't have a Wii

Amir0x

Banned
tim1138 said:
Does the release of Super Paper Mario then usher in the next great collapse of the gaming industry then? After all no other game will be able to compete with its sheer amount of awesome and will bomb horribly. Nintendo really will kill the next gen! :lol

I sure hope not! But, it may be inevitable...

Smiles and Cries said:
do you like this game? if so why?

Does it need an explanation! Paper Mario visuals, 2/3D switch mechanic. Lots of crazy and absurd Mario fanservice antics and then the knowledge of knowing IntSys is doing the work.

Read up on the pure awesome here. Take some, I dunno, Lithium before you read it because it may overwhelm you for sheer joy.

Ecrofirt

PantherLotus said:
We've heard this schtick before, and it was old then. Play it, don't play it...I don't give a ****. But there's no reason to be in a thread for a game that you're not interested in.

Get off my jock dude. I'm voicing concern over what I feel will be inferior controls.

Did I ever say I wasn't interested in the game? Try and find one of my posts saying that. I'm excited as shit for the game, and I'll be getting it regardless of the stupid control scheme.

I don't like how the controller feels in my hands when it's sideways. It's not natural. Piss off if you don't like someone voicing an opinion that isn't blind Nintendo love.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I still have no idea what this game is about. Platform only? Or does it keep some RPG elements?

olubode said:
PLENTY of people @ NOA read NeoGAF
Tis true.
I hear, a guy called Reggie posts here by the name of Anihawk, and some lady called Kaplan is known as Dragona?
Biggest rumour though is Shigsy himself, posts here as some fella who hates on Nintendo a lot, likes making official topics and buys complete to justify his posts?
again all rumours!

Amir0x

Banned
Ecrofirt said:
I don't like how the controller feels in my hands when it's sideways. It's not natural.

I agree, sideways wiimote is a very poor, unergonomic design. But, I believe the pure awesome of Super Paper Mario overcomes all - even that.

Ecrofirt

Amir0x said:
I agree, sideways wiimote is a very poor, unergonomic design. But, I believe the pure awesome of Super Paper Mario overcomes all - even that.

And the whole thing could be easily done away with by including the option for either the Classic Controller or the GameCube controller. I was just holding the wiimote in my hands sideways now, and I can't stand that shit. I need a real controller in my hands. That has to like be held with the fingers, and even then my thumbs don't lay on the buttons correctly.

Amir0x said:

can't I use the sexy classic controller? or does this require a wiimote now?

Haunted

Amir0x said:
I support this notion.

Amir0x

Banned
Ecrofirt said:
And the whole thing could be easily done away with by including the option for either the Classic Controller or the GameCube controller. I was just holding the wiimote in my hands sideways now, and I can't stand that shit. I need a real controller in my hands. That has to like be held with the fingers, and even then my thumbs don't lay on the buttons correctly.

Yeah, people will try to brand you here as they tend to do but you're 100% correct. The wiimote is very comfortable when held like a regular remote, but "NES style" is unnatural AND unbalanced due to it being heavier on one side thanks to the batteries and the dip on the other side thanks to the B button. It's a terrible unergonomic design that wouldn't pass muster even if the design team was high. But, if you say this, you become branded a "Wii hater" who is just looking for things to complain about.

Rule #1 of controllers: It must be ergonomic.

If it is not, you have right to complain. I agree with you they should have had a GCN controller option, SPECIFICALLY due to where the game came from, but what can you do? Imo, it's not gonna stop the pure awesome of Super Paper Mario.

Smiles and Cries said:
can't I use the sexy classic controller? or does this require a wiimote now?

Not that I know of? It would be nice, although I would have to then buy a classic controller :p

tim1138

If Nintendo saw fit, wouldn't it possible to use the classic controller and the wiimote? I know that you can power up your character and use the pointer aspect of the wiimote, but in the meantime couldn't it lay prone and let you control with the cc? Or is this simply not possible?

Haunted

Ecrofirt said:
Smiles and Cries said:
can't I use the sexy classic controller?

no and no.
Nintendo Power said:
As the player progresses he will pick up new allies called Pixls, which give the player new ways to use the Wii Remote in game. For example, one Pixl, named Tippy, allows the player to use the remote as a pointer, using it to find hidden objects and learn about enemies.

tim1138 said:
If Nintendo saw fit, wouldn't it possible to use the classic controller and the wiimote? I know that you can power up your character and use the pointer aspect of the wiimote, but in the meantime couldn't it lay prone and let you control with the cc? Or is this simply not possible?
Switching between the CC and the Wiimote mid-game? I don't think so.

I agree that the Wiimote held sideways is not ideal, but as Amir0x said, it's far from a deal-breaker for a game like Super Paper Mario.

dkeane

tim1138 said:
We don't really know enough about the game...since we know next to nothing. I'm guessing there's a lot more Wii Remote use than just pointing. We'll see.

Ecrofirt

Amir0x said:
Yeah, people will try to brand you here as they tend to do but you're 100% correct. The wiimote is very comfortable when held like a regular remote, but "NES style" is unnatural AND unbalanced due to it being heavier on one side thanks to the batteries and the dip on the other side thanks to the B button. It's a terrible unergonomic design that wouldn't pass muster even if the design team was high. But, if you say this, you become branded a "Wii hater" who is just looking for things to complain about.

Rule #1 of controllers: It must be ergonomic.

If it is not, you have right to complain. I agree with you they should have had a GCN controller option, SPECIFICALLY due to where the game came from, but what can you do? Imo, it's not gonna stop the pure awesome of Super Paper Mario.

Not that I know of? It would be nice, although I would have to then buy a classic controller :p

Exactly. I don't understand how I get branded a troll when I waited in line 10 hours to get a Wii. I love the system. All I had to do was point out that it's not perfect in every aspect, and I get pounced on. Christ people, I've got 4 copies of Twilight Princess. I'm not a Nintendo troll.

As another poster above me said, Classic Controller + Wiimote would work for the Pixl aspect of it, I'd imagine.

I'm not sure if the CC/GC pad would work in this case because the game requires the pointer functionality. So you'd have to put down your controller and pick up the Wiimote ... probably too complicated.

What they could do is have an optional setup using the Nunchaku. The nunchaku could control Mario via the analog stick (all the Paper Mario games uses the analog anyway) and then you could still use the pointer.

Anyways I'm just happy the game is out so soon. I wonder if this means Japan gets Super Paper Mario in March?

Amir0x said:

I would imagine that there would be CC option... I can't see why not; it isn't like it would be any more "clunky" or anything...

tim1138

studio810 said:
We don't really know enough about the game...since we know next to nothing. I'm guessing there's a lot more Wii Remote use than just pointing. We'll see.

Thats very true, I guess I was wondering more from a technical aspect. If its actually possible for any game to use a wiimote+classic controller combo scheme, like say a game where your character had a flashlight. You could move them around with the cc, then if you wanted/needed the flashflight, you could hold the cc in one hand (for access to the analog stick) and wiimote in the other, hit the the A or B button and viola, use the wiimote to point and aim the flashlight. I realize this is cumbersome, but its the easiest way to explain what I mean. Sorry for going off topic here.

So Nintendo took what would have been a AAA gamecube game and moved it to Wii for more sales... then someone had a "lets add wiimote" puzzles brain fart?

I'm trying to understand what changed, did they even bump the graphics a bit?

Vard

I'm also hoping that the game bleeds enough pure awesome that it will overcome the side controller design too. It's pretty uncomfortable for the left hand. I almost wish there would be some kind of plastic thing that could attach to the left side of the controller when it's sideways, so that it would at least be more symmetrical and weigh about the same on each side.

Ecrofirt

soundwave05 said:
I'm not sure if the CC/GC pad would work in this case because the game requires the pointer functionality. So you'd have to put down your controller and pick up the pointer ... probably too complicated.

What they could do is have an optional setup using the Nunchaku. The nunchaku could control Mario via the analog stick (all the Paper Mario games uses the analog anyway) and then you could still use the pointer.

Anyways, I wonder if this means Japan gets Super Paper Mario in March?

You've got to go from holding the controller in 2 hands sideways to holding it in one hand anyhow, so I don't see how it's much different. It'll even be a bit confusing if your left handed, as you'd probably want to hold the remote in your left hand, and thus would have to pass it off in the correct orientation from your right hand to your left hand.

The classic controller has as many buttons as the remote (d pad, a, b, and either L, R or another face button for the switching), and if you had to pick up the remote for pointing, you could just use the controls on there without a problem. I really can't imagine it being a big problem for Nintendo.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I absolutely love the way the game looks, but considering IS has only developed RPGs so far, I'm a bit worried how they'll handle this since it's their first time dealing with a platformer.

Ecrofirt said:
Christ people, I've got 4 copies of Twilight Princess.

Damn, why that many? Not that I'm complaining, just curious.

Oblivion said:
I absolutely love the way the game looks, but considering IS has only developed RPGs so far, I'm a bit worried how they'll handle this since it's their first time dealing with a platformer.

Uhhhh... the other Paper Mario games? Awesome level design? Ring any bells there?

IntSys is Japanese for "SPLOOGE IN YOUR PANTS, SHIT YOURSELF ****ING AWESOME."

Ecrofirt

Oblivion said:

Damn, why that many? Not that I'm complaining, just curious.

I try to get 2 copies of every Zelda game.

Top Bottom