• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - 3D screenshot and artwork from next GI

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Doom_Bringer said:
some people on this forum are utterly hopeless and extremely jaded. I remember when I used to think like that (My MGS4 threads) but then after the bans I thought about what I was saying and changed my mind.

Which is why you are truly a role model for everyone on this board.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Which is why you are truly a role model for everyone on this board.

Its common sense really... Most of the developers say they add many effect after the game hits beta stages cause they want to perfect the gameplay and its not even about that, just look at Motorstorm, Resistance, Halo 3 multiplayer, MGS4, and tons of other games. It clearly says the shot is from an early build but nobody wants to keep that in mind. And in the end we get 6 pages of pointless discussions when in the end I know the game will look amazing in the end. I mean this game animates so beautifully

Doom_Bringer said:
Its common sense really... Most of the developers say they add many effect after the game hits beta stages cause they want to perfect the gameplay and its not even about that, just look at Motorstorm, Resistance, Halo 3 multiplayer, MGS4, and tons of other games. It clearly says the shot is from an early build but nobody wants to keep that in mind. And in the end we get 6 pages of pointless discussions when in the end I know the game will look amazing in the end. I mean this game animates so beautifully
This game was said to look like it did on E3 2k6 trailer back in May 2k6.

Doom_Bringer said:
Naughty Dog doesn't lie. It will look even better in the end
It looks worse right now, which means that unless we get amazing screenshots around GDCi, I'm going to be a sad, sad guy.

Ynos Yrros said:
It looks worse right now, which means that unless we get amazing screenshots around GDCi, I'm going to be a sad, sad guy.

Screenshots don't do next gen games justice. Personally I am waiting for a gameplay video....

Yoboman said:
Stop the trolling

Besides AA, it is pretty much as it was back at E3
Come on. If anything, I'm proi PS3, and this does look lower res than it did back then (talking bout shirt, and pretty much everything else).

Yoboman

Ynos Yrros said:
Come on. If anything, I'm proi PS3, and this does look lower res than it did back then (talking bout shirt, and pretty much everything else).
Not really, you must have a glorified memory of the game because it looks all the same except perhaps the lighting (arguably just caused by the muzzle flash) and AA. The shirt is the same aside from the red sleeves being replaced with white ones

Yeah the screens won't do it for this game (even though they look fine).
I think it will end up looking really good in motion..Naughty Dog is the wrong dev to second-guess, visually.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
firefoxsux said:
Insane bullshot aa/af gone. duh
Original video didn't have bullshot levels of AF. You could easily see texture aliasing where you'd expect to see it. AA on the other hand, yes. Textures, etc. looks all the same and in the original video it didn't look uniformly perfect either.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
firefoxsux said:
Global lighting and forest textures seems downgraded

(gotta turn tech demo to real game. duh-duh.
or is alpha build?)

HOLY SHIT this guy is back. :/

imkoma

firefoxsux said:
Global lighting and forest textures seems downgraded

(gotta turn tech demo to real game. duh-duh.
or is alpha build?)

firefoxsux aka "The downgrader"?

Actually, the lighting and shadowing seems better than ever. And by "better", I mean that it seems more... dramatic. Obviously the situation would have something to do with that, but still... what exactly is it about it that makes some people claim that it's now worse?

mckmas8808

AltogetherAndrews said:
Actually, the lighting and shadowing seems better than ever. And by "better", I mean that it seems more... dramatic. Obviously the situation would have something to do with that, but still... what exactly is it about it that makes some people claim that it's now worse?

It's Friday night. I think most of them were drinking beer and/or liquor. Only explatation.

Speevy

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
It's Friday night. I think most of them were drinking beer and/or liquor. Only explatation.

I'm not drinklng explatation. Unchatred Drake of the 99 DRagons is downgrade!

mckmas8808

Speevy said:
I'm not drinklng explatation. Unchatred Drake of the 99 DRagons is downgrade!

4187-Sobriety-test.jpg

Kittonwy said:
Holy smoke it's beautiful, thanks gofreak!!!111!!!!
Indifferent2.gif
Those screens are just concept art...

And, IMO, anyone who says these screenshots look anywhere near as good as what we saw from the E3 trailer (which now seems likely to have been CGI or very heavily post processed)..well I just don't see it. These screens look pretty damn unimpressive.

Yoboman said:
Not really, you must have a glorified memory of the game because it looks all the same except perhaps the lighting (arguably just caused by the muzzle flash) and AA. The shirt is the same aside from the red sleeves being replaced with white ones
You're kidding right? It doesn't look anywhere near the same IMO. The textures look very downgraded..the vegetation took a massive hit..and there are jaggies galore. There is a huge diffference between these screenshots and what we saw at E3.

Yoboman

Maxwell House said:
You're kidding right? It doesn't look anywhere near the same IMO. The textures look very downgraded..the vegetation took a massive hit..and there are jaggies galore. There is a huge diffference between these screenshots and what we saw at E3.
Illustrate the difference with some pictures then, because as hard as I look it seems the same to me

It's like you people are looking for downgrades in PS3 games

Yoboman said:
Illustrate the difference with some pictures then, because as hard as I look it seems the same to me

It's like you people are looking for downgrades in PS3 games
4D.jpg

I must live on a different planet from many people in this thread. These new screenshots look pretty awful compared to what was shown at E3. I can't even fathom why some people are going gaga over these shots.

Look at the difference in his face, the vegetation, the lighting, the shadows, etc. It is like night and day.

Kuroyume

Banned
I want to buy the game on the right.

I love the new design btw...

The shirt is nicer, and those lame wrist straps are gone. He looks less metrosexual.

Maxwell House said:
4D.jpg

I must live on a different planet from many people in this thread. These new screenshots look pretty awful compared to what was shown at E3. I can't even fathom why some people are going gaga over these shots.

Look at the difference in his face, the vegetation, the lighting, the shadows, etc. It is like night and day.

Joke post aside, I have to agree with you here. However, it was confirmed that the E3 footage was entirely realtime so I would expect the game too look like the footage shown at E3. I however do not know how ND builds a game so it is entirely possible they are simply working on the gameplay and are using some basic placeholder type levels before they throw everything in. We will just have to wait and see for ourselves if the game holds up to the demo footage.

On top of what you said, the canopy lighting appears to have been removed or disabled.

Deepblue

Banned
His skin is too plasticy.

The game looks pretty good, though the environments taken a hit. Awesome self-shadowing technique though.

DJ Sl4m

Maxwell House said:
4D.jpg

I hate to say it, but you're right, the difference is huge, it's especially noticeable with all the jaggies in the new pics..

J-Rzez

Man, some people are going to be eating crow when this game comes out. I'm not sure what side yet, but, since it is from ND, I have an idea which side it will be...

Unless Naughty Dog pulls a Rare

Wonder what happened to his Jersey shirt? I liked it... very average joe... Seems very gritty there, wonder if the character gets dirtier and dirtier based on his actions or maybe story?

I agree that this looks very early and will surely look very good by the time it is released. We have seen all the past threads comparing alpha screenshots of games to what they looked like at release. The differences were laughably huge in some instances.

I just don't understand how people in this thread can say this looks just as good as the screenshots we saw last year. Is my eyesight that bad?

Yoboman

Maxwell House said:
4D.jpg

I might agree using your comparison, but when you look at the 3D image, it's clear that your comparison is inaccurate.

Vegetation? Come on. There's barely any visible in this image, making a comparison of a 3D image to a whole trailer is pointless. The lighting is different but not necessarily worse. It may just be the muzzle flash but it looks slightly less realistic than before. However the lighting, shadows etc look as strong as ever none the less.

M3Freak

Banned
Looks good to me.

You guys should speed up the Quicktime screen shot "movie" to 30 fps, or even 60 fps, and you'll get a feel for just how awesome this game is going to look - it will blow away everything we have seen so far on the PS3.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Maxwell House said:
4D.jpg

I'm not sure if this is a joke or what. Other than the huge amounts of AA the trailer has, I'm not really seeing the "living on a different planet" differences. The muzzle flash is already washing out the image added to the already bad quality. Vegetation could just be a different local perhaps? If anything the self shadowing looks better due to the contrast. The polycounts in the face (and everything else on nathan drake) are practically the same.

Perhaps waiting for better quality images from the game (from a newer build), or HD video would be smart before nitpicking everything about it, no?

jax (old)

Banned
Maxwell House said:
4D.jpg

I agree 100%. When I saw the screens and then the comments saying that the new ones are better... I just think some of you guys are CRAZY. I'm still going to wait for videos + more info but between this + LAIR (WHY THE F*** ARE PS3 GAMES PRONE TO THAT YELLOW MESSY GLOW/LIGHT?)

just look at the vegetation/fern in both shots.
One you can see the fronds clearly, the new one = really really ugly and poor looking.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Wow. I'm officially bailing on this thread.
I'm going to have to jump ship as well. Nothing Naughty Dog does or can do will make me hate this game. Everything looks ace. I'm not saying looks in a graphical sense, although they certainly have a good foothold in where the game is going, but in the sense that no one has the balls to try and make a game this awesome.

Seriously, did everyone miss the Force Unleashed thread with procedural animation videos? You can't judge anything these days based on screen grabs or anything but the final build, so why would you even try? Naughty Dog has a great IP on their hands and I'd put all my faith in them before GAF's opinions --Drake's Fortune looked great from the beginning and now we're in the ho-hum middle of it. If anything, wait until next month's GI to try calling any bets.

Then again, I own all three consoles so I'm not biased towards the xbot crowd or Sony's deathstar --guys like me win no matter what. :)

Top Bottom