• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 17, 2013

guggnichso

Banned
Well its released a week late for some unknown reason and the online multiplayer is missing some pretty important features (though apparently it will be patched at some point)

It has online multiplayer. You just can't have private matches with Friends or invite them.

Edit: Misread your post, you're right.

Crawl

I honestly wouldnt be surprised at this point if UK retailers started sacrificing Wii U shelf space for RETAIL PC games.

In comparison, when cross-gen games launch on PS4 and Xbox 720, the improved graphics, social functions, and things like streaming and recording will make for incentives for people to buy those games on those new platforms despite being on the old ones. No such luck for WiiU as the market has decided the GamePad is an irrelevant value add and it doesnt have enough horsepower for a defining leap in graphical quality.

Nintendo created a new console in 2012 that was competing with 2006 consoles. When you play against the cutting edge technology game, if you're not lucky enough to have a casual fad behind you, this is the result. No value incentive to play cross-gen titles, no value incentive because youre not getting exclusives, no value incentive because it doesnt stand out from budget prices boxes available now.

Its going to be very interesting watching the over under on cross-gen titles like Destiny, Watch_dogs and more.

I'm pretty sure that the majority of next-gen console early adopters won't buy those devices for a technically slightly improved Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty, if they are released on PS360 as well. Mass-market buyers even less. That's also why Sony and MS should create an attractive first-party launch line-up to begin with. Maybe some players will buy those platforms for Battlefield 4, because it will support more players in the multiplayer mode, but is that really a selling point of those new systems? I mean, do you really believe people will flood stores to spend 399+ bucks for games that can be played already, almost similarly, on platforms they own?

Then of course, Wii U is coming from Wii, and this gives already a disadvantage (lack of trust in the product, userbase already established elsewhere). Hardware sales are poor and multiplatform games would never perform as good as they're doing elsewhere. But doing late and lazy portings is not helping at all. You can say whatever you want, but Mass Effect 3 made no sense in the market, when a collection was released few days before at the same price on PS360; it even looked insulting from a Wii U owner perspective. Also because, if we divide Wii U userbase in two parts, we have:
-people that never had a PS360: why should they buy the third entry of a series they never played? That's why Mass Effect 3 didn't make sense: Mass Effect Collection would have.
-people that already had a PS360: why should they buy a game they already played / a game that can play in a collection (or even the standalone entry, at a lower price) on the platform they already have?

We had better games, of course. We had a good Call of Duty, which is indeed among the best selling third party games on Wii U. But then, we have Need for Speed that might be a definitive version, but still is released months after the original release. We have Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, which is a crappy game to begin with, and not just that, a PS360 version leaked even before the Wii U release... Injustice came a week later with serious lacks in the online mode. As for Batman, it's the same issue with Mass Effect: a full price porting of an old game that is not interesting for those already own PS360, and not interesting for those who never followed the series before (same goes for Darksiders 2).

I don't wanna defend Wii U software sales, that are crappy per se, but it's not that third parties put a lot of efforts in their line-up. Sometimes I really think, why did they think it would have been a good idea to release game XYZ on Wii U as such? The last case is Deus Ex, not even a one year old game, but a two year old game, that you can find for 10 bucks everywhere, for every other platform. And then people wonder why it's not selling, and of course, it's Wii U fault!

AzaK

You know, these points all sound good and fine in theory, but when it sold only a thousand units (if even that) while the other versions are doing more than 10x that in their second week it's pretty clear that the average Wii U owner isn't the market for that type of game.

Also, I'm not sure if it's really a big problem that it's releasing one week late. You hear from a lot of Wii U owners that they'd rather get that version instead of the others, and 7 more days isn't really a long wait.

We actually need to wait until the second week of Wii U sales before we can start to make comparisons. Even then it's hard. As pointed out early adopters might be expected to buy more software, but also early adopters of Nintendo consoles might very well be the type of people that don't want a game like Injustice. Maybe Injustice just sucks and Wii U owners are more discernible :)

How have all other fighting games faired on Wii U?

I don't know where this notion is coming from at all.

The PS3 and 360 still selling are likely why the Wii U is still getting the few ports it does.

When developers shift entirely to next gen, they won't have a 360 SKU they can cheaply port to the Wii U.
The problem is what you consider cheap. WiiU has an architecture much more similar to the Next Gen than to current gen, even when in terms of power it's closer to current gen (although better).
To cut down some effects and assets is what every PC game does, and this is what is cheap.
To port games developed with a completely different architecture on mind (focused on strong CPUs that perform a lot of what usually is done through the GPU) means hours of hard-work adapting the engine.

BKK

The problem is what you consider cheap. WiiU has an architecture much more similar to the Next Gen than to current gen, even when in terms of power it's closer to current gen (although better).
To cut down some effects and assets is what every PC game does, and this is what is cheap.
To port games developed with a completely different architecture on mind (focused on strong CPUs that perform a lot of what usually is done through the GPU) means hours of hard-work adapting the engine.

Except;

WiiU, PS3, X360, Wii = PPC architecture
PS4, X720, PC = X86 architecture

Except;

WiiU, PS3, X360, Wii = PPC architecture
PS4, X720, PC = X86 architecture
Unless you program in assembler, it doesn't matter that much if PPC or X86. What really matters is that PS3/60 CPUs are heavily focussed in floating point performance, in order execution, huge pipelines to achieve high clock speeds (with all the drawbacks that this sort of approach has) and with tinny caches.
Their GPU is also outdated, they lack an usable tessellation unit (the one in 360 is far from usable, and PS3 doesn't even have it) and any sort of geometry shaders, and in terms of evolution, PS3 even lacks unified shaders...
They also lacked any sort of DSP and others co-processors.

Meanwhile in terms of CPUs, although still a bit different, the approach followed on the WiiU is much closer to the one followed in PS4. Less cores, true, like most of PC CPUs. Heavily focused on general purpose performance, with co-processors dedicated to sound and the SO.
In terms of GPU, there isn't much to say. The main difference there exist is the lack of an integrated GPU to handle gpgpu code, this is maybe where most of the problems will be in the future, but until games are designed with that on mind will still pass at least a few years, so it's not a problem from a short-term perspective. On the other hand, shader technology is much more modern, with an almost identical feature set (from tessellation to compute and geometry shaders and/or other modern optimizations like new texture compression methods and things that we still don't know).

Sweden:
1) Dead Island: Riptide (X360)
2) WoW Game Card 60 Days (Card)
3) FIFA 13 (PS3)
4) Dead Island: Riptide (PS3)
5) FIFA 13 (X360)
6) PlayStation Network Voucher 200 SEK (Card)
7) WoW Game Card 60 Days (Card)
8) Tomb Raider (PS3)
9) Tomb Raider (X360)
10) Crysis 3 (X360)
11) Army Of Two: The Devil's Cartel - Limited Edition (PS3)
12) SimCity (PC)
13) Skylanders Giants . Starter Pack (Wii)
14) Crysis 3 (PS3)
15) Army Of Two: The Devil's Cartel - Limited Edition (X360)
16) Dead Island: Riptide (PC)
17) Dead Island: Riptide - Special Edition (X360)
18) StarCraft 2: Heart of Swarm (PC)
19) Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
20) NHL 13 (PS3)

Norway:
1) Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (PS3)
2) PlayStation Network Voucher 200 NOK (Card)
3) Dead Island: Riptide (PS3)
4) Dead Island: Riptide (X360)
5) Tomb Raider (PS3)
6) Dead Island: Riptide - Special Edition (X360)
7) The Sims 2: Arbetsliv (PC)
8) FIFA 13 (PS3)
9) Dead Island: Riptide - Special Edition (PS3)
10) Bioshock Infinite (PS3)
11) Injustice: Gods Among Us (PS3)
12) Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
13) PlayStation Network Voucher 400 NOK (Card)
14) Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (PS3)
15) SimCity (PC)
16) Battlefield 4 Pre-Order (Multi)
17) Bioshock Infinite (X360)
18) Tomb Raider (X360)
19) Luigi's Mansion 2 (3DS)
20) PlayStation Network Voucher 200 NOK (Card)

Finland:
1) PlayStation Network Voucher 20 EUR (Card)
2) Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (PS3)
4) PlayStation Network Voucher 50 EUR (Card)
5) Dead Island: Riptide (X360)
6) FIFA 13 - Bonus Edition (PS3)
7) Live 3 Months Gold (Card)
8) NHL 13 (PS3)
9) Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (PS3)
10) Dance Dance Revolution: New Moves Bundle (PS3)
11) COD: Black Ops 2 (PS3)
12) Tomb Raider (PS3)
13) WoW Game Card 60 Days (Card)
14) Bioshock Infinite (PS3)
15) Far Cry 3 (PS3)
16) SimCity (PC)
17) Dead Island: Riptide - Special Edition(X360)
18) Battlefield 3 (PS3)
19) Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (X360)
20) GTA IV (PS3)

Denmark:
1) FIFA 13 (PS3)
3) Skylanders Giants - Starter Pack (Wii)
4) WoW Game Card 60 Days (Card)
5) Just Dance 4 (Wii)
6) Medal Of Honor: Warfighter (PS3)
7) Dead Island: Riptide (PS3)
8) PlayStation Network Voucher 200 KR (Card)
9) WoW Game Card 60 Days (Card)
10) SimCity (PC)
11) Dead Island: Riptide - Special Edition (PS3)
12) The Sims 3: University Life (PC)
13) COD: Black Ops 2 (PS3)
14) Skylanders Giants - Starter Pack (PS3)
15) Tomb Raider (PS3)
16) Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 - Limited Edition (PS3)
17) Injustice: Gods Among Us (PS3)
18) Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (PS3)
19) Farming Simulator 2013 (PC)
20) Football Manager 2013 (PC)

http://www.gfkhitlist.com/game.aspx

jvm

Gamasutra.
UK for the year so far.

NOTE: ORDER MATTERS. THE CHARTS ARE ORDERED BY LAST COLUMN AND THEREFORE THE PLATFORM ORDER IS DIFFERENT!

Revenue:
aw8U4kI.png

Units:
5NHqHKv.png

I can't even tell which platform to laugh at, PSV for barely being able to outdo Wii U after being out for a year longer and Wii U software cratering, or Wii U for being in that position in the first place. I'll just laugh at both.

And thanks for the data jvm

Bruno MB

I can't even tell which platform to laugh at, PSV for barely being able to outdo Wii U after being out for a year longer and Wii U software cratering, or Wii U for being in that position in the first place. I'll just laugh at both.

What it calls my attention mostly since I prefer to focus on non-dead consoles, are those pitiful 3DS software sales.

SmokyDave

The difference between Vita revenue and Vita units suggests I'm missing some killer deals. Curse my preference for digital downloads.

What it calls my attention mostly since I prefer to focus on non-dead consoles, are those pitiful 3DS software sales.
Beast Mode!

If you take the 1st party stuff out, I bet the numbers are hilarious.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I've often suggested that even though the 3DS has sold so many more units, that its install base isnt necessarily as receptive to buying third party games. To such an extent perhaps that the perceived gulf of where third party support goes between these handhelds just isn't wide as "beast mode" posts and "vita means unlife" posts would have us believe.

Of those 3DS sales, how many have Mario in the title for instance? What are the third party slices? This is always going to be Nintendo's problem with their absolute first party franchise dominance of a platform at the cost of third party success and thus support.

Anyway, thanks for the data jvm.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I'm never sure if this kind of data is worth a new thread or not. If someone has a good angle for discussion for it, feel free.

Because the end result would be hilarious, as I said.

The difference being that one is perceived as a successful handheld and one is perceived as being dead.

But we know and we already discussed that 3DS in UK is doing poorly. In other European countries, on the other hand, is doing ok.

This thread every week is basically people waiting to say 'Fuck 3DS' - its ridiculous and pretty pathetic at times.

Its not exactly a surprising number - a quick flick at the charts tells you where the retail sales are coming from. 3DS can have some good sales behind individual titles, but 360/PS3 dominate.

B.O.O.M

Injustice came out last week for Wii U and made up 4% of Injustice sales. LOL.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2013/apr/29/top-20-video-games

Let's see how much this is in raw units.

Injustice 360 is on third place and has sold less than Dead Island PS3, which accounts for 26% of Dead Island sales.

26% of 62,000 are 16,120 copies, let's be optimistic and take this as the best case scenario for the 360 version, which makes up for 58% of Injustice sales.

As a consequence, Injustice's maximum sales across all platforms for this week are 27,793 units.

4% of that are 1,111 units for the Wii U version, in an absolute best case scenario. It's most likely under 1'000 units.

That's not much, regardless of install base.

Yikes. That's horrible no matter how one may try to spin it. Injustice is a WB game right? They are one of the best supporters of the system too

Sweden:
1) Dead Island: Riptide (X360)
2) WoW Game Card 60 Days (Card)
3) FIFA 13 (PS3)
4) Dead Island: Riptide (PS3)
5) FIFA 13 (X360)
6) PlayStation Network Voucher 200 SEK (Card)
7) WoW Game Card 60 Days (Card)
8) Tomb Raider (PS3)
9) Tomb Raider (X360)
10) Crysis 3 (X360)
11) Army Of Two: The Devil's Cartel - Limited Edition (PS3)
12) SimCity (PC)
13) Skylanders Giants . Starter Pack (Wii)
14) Crysis 3 (PS3)
15) Army Of Two: The Devil's Cartel - Limited Edition (X360)
16) Dead Island: Riptide (PC)
17) Dead Island: Riptide - Special Edition (X360)
18) StarCraft 2: Heart of Swarm (PC)
19) Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
20) NHL 13 (PS3)

Norway:
1) Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (PS3)
2) PlayStation Network Voucher 200 NOK (Card)
4) Dead Island: Riptide (X360)
5) Tomb Raider (PS3)
6) Dead Island: Riptide - Special Edition (X360)
7) The Sims 2: Arbetsliv (PC)
8) FIFA 13 (PS3)
9) Dead Island: Riptide - Special Edition (PS3)
10) Bioshock Infinite (PS3)
11) Injustice: Gods Among Us (PS3)
12) Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
13) PlayStation Network Voucher 400 NOK (Card)
14) Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (PS3)
15) SimCity (PC)
16) Battlefield 4 Pre-Order (Multi)
17) Bioshock Infinite (X360)
18) Tomb Raider (X360)
19) Luigi's Mansion 2 (3DS)
20) PlayStation Network Voucher 200 NOK (Card)

Finland:
1) PlayStation Network Voucher 20 EUR (Card)
4) PlayStation Network Voucher 50 EUR (Card)
5) Dead Island: Riptide (X360)
6) FIFA 13 - Bonus Edition (PS3)
7) Live 3 Months Gold (Card)
8) NHL 13 (PS3)
9) Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (PS3)
10) Dance Dance Revolution: New Moves Bundle (PS3)
11) COD: Black Ops 2 (PS3)
12) Tomb Raider (PS3)
13) WoW Game Card 60 Days (Card)
14) Bioshock Infinite (PS3)
15) Far Cry 3 (PS3)
16) SimCity (PC)
17) Dead Island: Riptide - Special Edition(X360)
18) Battlefield 3 (PS3)
19) Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (X360)
20) GTA IV (PS3)

Denmark:
1) FIFA 13 (PS3)
3) Skylanders Giants - Starter Pack (Wii)
4) WoW Game Card 60 Days (Card)
5) Just Dance 4 (Wii)
6) Medal Of Honor: Warfighter (PS3)
7) Dead Island: Riptide (PS3)
8) PlayStation Network Voucher 200 KR (Card)
9) WoW Game Card 60 Days (Card)
10) SimCity (PC)
11) Dead Island: Riptide - Special Edition (PS3)
12) The Sims 3: University Life (PC)
13) COD: Black Ops 2 (PS3)
14) Skylanders Giants - Starter Pack (PS3)
15) Tomb Raider (PS3)
16) Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 - Limited Edition (PS3)
17) Injustice: Gods Among Us (PS3)
18) Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (PS3)
19) Farming Simulator 2013 (PC)
20) Football Manager 2013 (PC)

http://www.gfkhitlist.com/game.aspx

SLY! :D Makes me happy! But in the Denmark list why is Sly ps3 appearing in two spots?

I've often suggested that even though the 3DS has sold so many more units, that its install base isnt necessarily as receptive to buying third party games. To such an extent perhaps that the perceived gulf of where third party support goes between these handhelds just isn't wide as "beast mode" posts and "vita means unlife" posts would have us believe.

Of those 3DS sales, how many have Mario in the title for instance? What are the third party slices? This is always going to be Nintendo's problem with their absolute first party franchise dominance of a platform at the cost of third party success and thus support.

Anyway, thanks for the data jvm.

3DS support comes from Japan and the deciding factor of where 3rd party support goes is how things are going in Japan.

And yes, 3DS software sales are pretty bad in the UK. The erosion of the handheld market will only continue as we head deeper into the year.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
3DS support comes from Japan and the deciding factor of where 3rd party support goes is how things are going in Japan.

And yes, 3DS software sales are pretty bad in the UK. The erosion of the handheld market will only continue as we head deeper into the year.

You know, these last weeks charts, with Luigi being strong, FE debuting well, as well as Lego City Undercover made me think there's some (little) hope for UK too, software wise. Especially given what's coming in the next months, I'm feeling UK erosion of the handheld market on the Nintendo side won't continue as the first months of the year. This is being said considering 3DS software situation is not good in UK, though. Still, all the past European charts taught me something: if things for Nintendo go well in UK, then they go very well in all Europe (case in point: 3DS last summer, after the XL released - best selling console in Europe for a good amount of weeks, thanks also to NSMB2's release), while if their business is bad in France/Germany, then it's very bad in the whole Europe (case in point: current Wii U situation)

The 3DS still has fuck all software that is really aimed at the west. In japan it has an incredible software line-up but everywhere else it's just outright terrible. Not surprised that it's struggling so much.

Beast Mode!

If you take the 1st party stuff out, I bet the numbers are hilarious.

Even if you leave them in they still are.

Mario007

Well my take on it is:
Xbox360- Damn good.
PS3- alright.
PC, NDS- surprisingly great.
Vita, Wii U, 3DS- lol.

I didn't expect PC retail to almost be on par with 3DS, Vita and Wii U combined in the UK. Interesting stuff.

Yep PC retail is performing MUCH better than i would have thought. I wonder how much money is spent on digital games for the PC compared to retail especially with games like LoL being so huge. PC seems to be in a decent place at the moment.

Mpl90

German preorder chart from 25.04 to 01.05

1. ( 5 ) Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS, Nintendo)
2. ( 3 ) Tales of Xillia (PS3, Namco Bandai)
3. ( 7 ) Grand Theft Auto V (PS3, Rockstar Games)
4. (NEU) Grid 2 (PS3, Namco Bandai)
5. ( 9 ) Pokémon Mystery Dungeon (3DS, Nintendo)
6. (NEU) Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox 360, Rockstar Games)
7. (NEU) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3, Square Enix)
8. (10 ) The Last of Us (PS3, Sony)
9. ( 8 ) Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (PS3, Ubisoft)
10.( 4 ) Soul Sacrifice (PS Vita, Sony)

The realistic view is this is the end for non-subsidized third party support of the WiiU.
You should play more videogames, less sales.

This isn't even about new-gen adoption rates, this is about a niche audience that just doesn't give a shit unless Nintendo tells them to do so. That this issue has become such a problem is the main reason why I doubt there will be another Nintendo home console. Who will support it after this debacle?
Realistically? Probably Ubisoft and Sega.

Mpl90

Realistically? Probably Ubisoft and Sega.

I'd say Ubisoft, Warner, Capcom, Disney, Atlus, Square, SEGA, Activision, Bandai Namco, Banpresto, Level 5, Agatsuma, FuRyu, etc.etc.

Go hybrid, go!

Top Bottom