• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: Microsoft 6 months behind in game production for X720 [Pastebin = Ban]

Well, if you hope a part of the rumor is true, you might as well brace yourself for what else is mentioned in the source.

I personally think the importance of BC is overrated. I bought the 60GB PS3 for the BC, and the only PS2 game I replayed was Silent Hill 3.

Like many people have said in the past. The period of "I only play new games" is over. People expect their DD downloads to span generations of hardware. Hardware has become non-important, software has moved to the center.

If MS launches with BC and Sony does not... if will be a bloodbath.

Don't believe that at all. AT ALL.

People will complain because it's cool but they'll be the usual vocal minority. Most will be swept away with new BF or whatever.

I don't agree with his assessment either. I'm keeping my PS3 and it will remain hooked up in my entertainment center. If the games do not carry over I will not give a shit. I can't see many other people doing it either. To be honest, I'm more interested in playing Blow's new game than I would be replaying Flower, for example. People place way too much importance on backwards compatibility.

May I enquire into how you plan on getting the IDT and IVT working for the x86 cores when the code they are jumping to isn't even in the address space that they exist in.
Another good question but first where is the CMOS or flash boot sequence, the BIOS that initializes the hardware and provides the basics so that a OS can boot? Further it needs to be a root of trust boot.

1) It's in the Trustzone CPU.

TrustZone_Controllers.png

How does a OS or virtual OS work with UMA that does not need to be in the same memory pool?

2) A translation table is provided.

1&2 answer your question provided there is a ARM to X86 buss which must be there for HSA to work.

IDT Interrupt descripter Table
IVT Interrupt Vector table It can be moved but must be in the first megbyte of memory. The Jaguar CPU would need to be in the 1st MByte of the LPDDR3 memory or via a MMU translation table.

Remember the X86 CPU is not booting first and a HSA system can be configured to run multiple ISA families. Both the IDT and IVT are extrememly important from a security standpoint and should be in trustzone managed memory.

Meh, they deleted it?

I thought it was hilarious.

Secret Sonically AUgmented Compute Engine was a nice touch i thought.

I wouldn't think anyone would believe it. I made it into a very obvious fake

Edit: Please don't ban me it was just for fun :(

quickwhips

If they really are behind where microsoft wants to be at by now...do you think BC will make up for that? I mean if they have less games but you can play your whole backlog on the new console plus maybe 6 -7 games at launch that are exclusive? I don't really by the rumor just saying.

My post was a work of art. Shame to see it deleted. :(

Edit: Can I post it again if make it explicitly clear it's satire, written by me? I would have thought the contents of the post itself would have made that clear, but there you go.

Edit2: Well, at least my post had an effect. Hopefully people will stop using Pastebin as a source now :)

Thorgal

You can read it in statham's quote if you like, but I'm drawing the line going forward.

perhaps a stupid thing to ask but is it only a ban posting something from that site on this thread or is it effective for the entire gaming section ?

not that i ever go to that site but it would be weird if someone posts one of these pastebin rumors on another thread and suddenly gets banned for it.

Who is 'accepting' the rumor? Read again.I said 'if' true. Plus where are the fake guideline that state all or none on any of the Pastry rumors.

Either way I have said it all along, iif MS pulls off BC, it's THE megaton as it will drive sales from the millions of the hardcore 360 gamers on Live and it provides a conduit to your friends list and games from the 360. Being able to still play your 360 games as you always did right from the NextBox itself will be the ton of Mega that no one thought posssible.

BC is nice but you are really overrating its importance.

Like many people have said in the past. The period of "I only play new games" is over. People expect their DD downloads to span generations of hardware. Hardware has become non-important, software has moved to the center.

If MS launches with BC and Sony does not... if will be a bloodbath.

Like I have said BC is important to a very small part of the market. I can't think of one person I told or found out PS4 wasn't BC that stopped to even form a opinion on it. Nobody will care

I'd much prefer it in the PS4 in all honesty. The 360 is pretty much dead with regards to exclusives whereas the PS3 is still going strong and likely to be for some time to come.

I think it would certainly be a positive feature for either console but with this transition I still think its a luxury the market doesn't care about, especially if it means a more expensive console. Now I do believe it will be imperative with the next systems.

quickwhips

I think it would certainly be a positive feature for either console but with this transition I still think its a luxury the market doesn't care about, especially if it means a more expensive console. Now I do believe it will be imperative with the next systems.

I feel like that is a silly statement. It should be important this generation since this is the first time we have had real game and app stores on the consoles.

Ushae

Banned
I'd much prefer it in the PS4 in all honesty. The 360 is pretty much dead with regards to exclusives whereas the PS3 is still going strong and likely to be for some time to come.

What if MS get their lineup to the same level as current Sony? It'll be interesting to see how it turns out in the end.

I feel like that is a silly statement. It should be important this generation since this is the first time we have had real game and app stores on the consoles.

Yeah but they weren't 100% integrated until late into the consoles life cycle(PS3) and even then isn't PS3 the only one you can buy full digital retail? I think i am the only guy among my friends that buys full digital. The fact is the majority of the market is still buying their games in a physical format. Next gen that should change enough that it will be a big deal. If I can't bring Guacamelee and Mark of the Ninja to my next systems who gives a F.

It will help initially. Especially if there's any ties whatsoever to games like CoD, GTA etc.

This is the one aspect of BC I do agree with. It is helpful for a transition when you have big blockbusters coming out at the tail end of a consoles life cycle. Being able to play GTA or COD up scaled would be a great thing.

ShinAmano

I would have agreed with you until I heard my brother state that it would be a debacle and show poor customer care for not including it. He is as casual as it gets...but I think that people just expect the new xbox to be able to run the old xbox games...just like a new phone or pc can run stuff from the previous version...and it really should.

Garjon

This is the one aspect of BC I do agree with. It is helpful for a transition when you have big blockbusters coming out at the tail end of a consoles life cycle. Being able to play GTA or COD up scaled would be a great thing.

Speaking of which, what happened to those rumours of upscaled 360 games on the 720?

stryke

I would have agreed with you until I heard my brother state that it would be a debacle and show poor customer care for not including it. He is as casual as it gets...but I think that people just expect the new xbox to be able to run the old xbox games...just like a new phone or pc can run stuff from the previous version...and it really should.

Then you should ask how valuable are those games to him in a couple of years time and how much extra is he willing to pay for a BC capable console. This is where I suspect the appeal of BC starts to break down.

BC will be a huge marketing push for MS. The importance of app compatibility has never been as important as it is now based on consumer expectation with smart phone app stores. They're going to expect things like this from all of their devices from now on.

Whether in the end consumers actually use any legacy apps is inconsequential. As a purchasing point it will be a factor, and that's really all that matters.

ShinAmano

Then you should ask how valuable are those games to him in a couple of years time and how much extra is he willing to pay for a BC capable console. This is where I suspect the appeal of BC starts to break down.
Oh I agree...but it is interesting to see that as a sticking point for someone who may have bought 3 games for the system since launch.

eso76

You know what, I don't want BC.
I mean I don't want the price of my console to be higher because of that.
Or rather, I don't want BC to bring other specs down in order to keep the targeted price.

netBuff

BC will be a huge marketing push for MS. The importance of app compatibility has never been as important as it is now based on consumer expectation with smart phone app stores. They're going to expect things like this from all of their devices from now on.

Whether in the end consumers actually use any legacy apps is inconsequential. As a purchasing point it will be a factor, and that's really all that matters.

By most accounts, Microsoft won't have integrated backwards compatibility: People will get over it quickly.

And I personally agree with that decision as I really don't care about this feature (more of a "nice to have"). I could see BC hurting new console adoption by significantly increasing manufacturing cost.

The 12GB of GDDR3 RAM just to claim more than PS4 to the average consumer makes it sound like absolute BS. Going to 12GB would require an entirely different memory controller and GDDR3 isn't even in production anymore, is it? Microsoft doesn't need to say they have more RAM, they'll just say they have 8GB and the average consumer won't know that the PS4 has an advantage there, if they even know the tech specs at all.

These pastebins are so obnoxious. Some people are posting them as jokes but several are posting them all seriously and saying they sound plausible. There's only been one legit one since the next gen rumors started and they're just getting more an more stupid.

Durango has 8 gig GDDR5, always has. Sony matched, not the other way around.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
You know what, I don't want BC.
I mean I don't want the price of my console to be higher because of that.
Or rather, I don't want BC to bring other specs down in order to keep the targeted price.
After a 7-8 yr generation, BC should be thrown in as value add and gamers should really expect nothing less from these manufacturers. I'm not interested in excuses for why they couldn't operate with the proper foresight to make it happen.

Mandoric

Banned
After a 7-8 yr generation, BC should be thrown in as value add and gamers should really expect nothing less from these manufacturers. I'm not interested in excuses for why they couldn't operate with the proper foresight to make it happen.

BC is almost meaningless, and how long-ass this gen has been just means that I'm closer to being done with its gems by now. I say this as someone who bought a launch PS3 and has spent maybe four hours emulating. And of course, 480i->720p is a lot more attractive than 640p or 720p blurred to 1080p.

I was wrong when I considered it a big deal for PS3, I was wrong assuming that I'd ever ever take advantage of my 360's BC (all it does is take up 5GB of my 60GB drive for nothing), and I fully expect hardware BC to be a bad decision MS is smart enough not to make.

Dabanton

BC will be important to me for at least the first year and half of a new consoles life. Also the less boxes I have attached to my TV the better. At the moment I have a 360 Slim,A PS3 and a wii,plus my HD mini box and connectors for my computer and laptop.

I have them all wired up to my HDTV and neatly packed. What I don't want is me having to shift around things just to play an old console. It's a hassle I don't want. (first world problems I know)

If the new Xbox does BC I'll be happy. I can move my Slim into the bedroom TV setup and give my elite to one of my nephews or something.

Mandoric

Banned
BC will be important to me for at least the first year and half of a new consoles life. Also the less boxes I have attached to my TV the better. At the moment I have a 360 Slim,A PS3 and a wii,plus my HD mini box and connectors for my computer and laptop.

I have them all wired up to my HDTV and neatly packed. What I don't want is me having to shift around things just to play an old console. It's a hassle I don't want. (first world problems I know)

If the new Xbox does BC I'll be happy. I can move my Slim into the bedroom TV setup and give my elite to one of my nephews or something.

Is that based on practical experience moving your huge, beloved PS2 collection over, or just theory? Because, like I said, I thought the same thing until a couple months after push came to shove. It's a nice feature, but it's nowhere near a $100 feature.

Top Bottom