• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Final Fantasy X-2 HD Screenshots

Takuan

I know the story is bollocks, but how's the gameplay? I think I remember reading that the battle system was quite robust.

I know the story is bollocks, but how's the gameplay? I think I remember reading that the battle system was quite robust.

The gameplay is absolutely lovely in FFX-2 and monstrously addictive. This package is $40 for hundreds of hours of content. Best deal since the Orange Box, IMO.

iYDV5M4sTnS0K.jpg

5ae65c88.jpg

Oh wow...!

Takuan

The gameplay is absolutely lovely in FFX-2 and monstrously addictive. This package is $40 for hundreds of hours of content. Best deal since the Orange Box, IMO.

I'll consider buying at $30. I have always had an irrational dislike of Yuna and cannot bring myself to pay full price for a compilation that heavily features her.

I would be great if they added some sort of "guide" to X2 so you could figure out what you had to accomplish in each area before moving the story forward. Even just a simple indicator on the map screen that shows you there is something still left to do in each area, or a warning before progressing the story that you haven't completed everything yet.

I loved X2, looking at these screens makes me want to play it agian, but the thought of having to sit with a FAQ open the whole time just so I don't miss half the games content is putting me off.

Rolf NB

So...pretty much like every other FF?
Not really. Fodder enemies below your level, sure, every FF has that at some point. But if it works even against the vast majority of bosses, there's something very wrong. I want some sort of tactical challenge every now and then, and X-2 is completely hollow in that regard.

Partly because it's just pathologically easy.
Partly because running delays and attack frequencies basically even out the offensive roles' differing attack strengths, and give them all the same effective DPS. It's 90% show, 10% "use the shooter role against flying enemies".

As for other FFs:
FF XIII has the stagger mechanic to motivate you to switch paradigms. It's ineffective to keep someone locked into a healer role, because then you won't reach the stagger points and combat will take many times longer.

FF X has complementary, pre-cast combat roles until post-game, and swapping party members is all but equivalent to switching roles. But it's challenging. It has attacks and spells that modify turn order, and good utility of summons. You have reasons for buff/debuff, reasons for prefering magic attacks over physical.

FF X-2 just doesn't do any of that. Once the tutorials stop forcing you into useless roles, you can beat the whole game, and I'm not even kidding, the whole freaking game with white mage + 2 random physical attack roles, permanently holding down X. If that's good combat, good combat bores me to tears.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wow... looks really, really good. I don't remember FFX-2 looking that much better than FFX back when the games were on PS2, but this game really seems to pop a lot more than X now.

This compilation is going to be incredible.

It always surprises me how good some last gen stuff looked when cleaned up. I seriously wouldn't mind if most games today looked like those screenshots below. Would definitely help keep budgets lower.

I'm a bit surprised how excited I am for this. I hated FFX so much back when I played it in 2002, and I never played X-2 because of my hatred for X. But here I am 11 years later excited to try it again.

This looks fabulous. Gotta say I love both of these and am looking forward to playing through them both to 100%. I still have 10% of optional end-game stuff to see, and I never touched blitzball in FF X. Dunno if I look forward to getting Lady Luck dress sphere again. And heaven forbid if I screw up my percentage and miss Mascot.

Hoping there is a really nice guide book for these games. I don't normally buy guides, but for FF X-2 I don't want to constantly using my phone to see what I might miss. And hopefully it's chocked full of art.

This looks fabulous. Gotta say I love both of these and am looking forward to playing through them both to 100%. I still have 10% of optional end-game stuff to see, and I never touched blitzball in FF X. Dunno if I look forward to getting Lady Luck dress sphere again. And heaven forbid if I screw up my percentage and miss Mascot.

Hoping there is a really nice guide book for these games. I don't normally buy guides, but for FF X-2 I don't want to constantly using my phone to see what I might miss. And hopefully it's chocked full of art.

Mascot isn't about percentage, it's about chapter completion, but it's still tricky to get. You can get Mascot and still finish the game with only like 91% completion, IIRC.

farisr

Looking good.

But probably won't buy it this year due to saving up for the ps4 and its games/controllers (and not having a job).

Looks awesome, though they messed up Yuna's face on the standard character model a bit IMO. She looks off.

CG Yuna looks amazing and like you expect her to look.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'd love to see a PCSX2 shot of this scene for comparison. Surely the overall quality won't hold up against an emulator, but the improved face textures look really good.
Emulated shot versus HD remaster:

ibxzjIs1oreE7x.jpg

5ae65c88.jpg

Bonus:

i8BqqeUlEJSWp.png

c7e78de0.jpg

Yeah, seeing the emulator version sealed it for me. Original Yuna model's face looked way better. The face looks like it's shaped differently.

EDIT: Rikku's face too, actually. WTF? XD

As with FFX HD, the emulation seems to be losing some of the aggressive gradient shading from the original, which makes the eyes look a little bit less 'alive' even if the textures are cleaner and higher-res.

Top Bottom