• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Front Mission 1st DS - official site opens!

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Did anyone finish both of the branching storylines in FM3? I only did one and I always felt like I missed something. I can't remember which one I finished. I got tired of the sound of the mechs moving to another tile and didn't do the other one.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Guileless said:
Did anyone finish both of the branching storylines in FM3? I only did one and I always felt like I missed something. I can't remember which one I finished. I got tired of the sound of the mechs moving to another tile and didn't do the other one.

Same here, but for another reason. I finished the one where you get Emma early on.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Guileless said:

i did, it took me like 100 hours if i remember correctly....anyway i think its worth to do both paths since there are new battles and people to recruit and stuff like that.

glaurung

Oh, the good old great games make a much needed return to the realm of the living consoles.

Too bad FM5 never got localized, that game kicked a whole lot of ass.

High hopes for this one then. Maybe SQEENIX will hear our plea.

Guileless said:

I played both. It took me about 110 hours. Pretty much everyone I know played the Emma version only, which is unfortunate as the Alisa version had much more varied gameplay and more likeable characters, even if it was missing the Emma story's awesome ending
battle on the white house lawn

robor

glaurung said:
Oh, the good old great games make a much needed return to the realm of the living consoles.

Too bad FM5 never got localized, that game kicked a whole lot of ass.

High hopes for this one then. Maybe SQEENIX will hear our plea.

Man what in the **** happened there...First they release FM4 on the PS2 ONLY for Japan and America, then they just isolate FM5 from the whole entire world? Seriously, Square are downright insane sometimes...(No Chrono Cross for Europe, EH?)

jesusraz

duckroll said:
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/fm/fm1ds/

Tons of pics and info about the new scenario, the various new unit additions from the FM series, and the dual screen/touch screen setup.

Thanks for the update, duckroll :)

I know people didn't seem too bothered about the Wi-Fi being removed from this, but it would have made a nice inclusion overall...

And personally I feel that considering Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales is coming to the West, this definitely has a strong chance of being translated as well. Any word on projected first shipments at all? How about what people think this will manage to sell overall? Front Mission is still popular in Japan, I presume, and considering the DS' extensive userbase it should perform better than Chocobo's ~100,000 units...maybe it could make that key landmark of 300,000? (hehe!)

Gexecuter said:
i did, it took me like 100 hours if i remember correctly....anyway i think its worth to do both paths since there are new battles and people to recruit and stuff like that.

It pretty much breaks down into: Emma Path (Guys path, real ending) and Alisa Path (Girls path, false ending.) Alisa path has close to twenty less missions but 70 vs 50 (or thereabouts) doesn't make either one short.

When you finish the game all of your battle skills are carried over (not AP or cash, sadly) but most players might not really notice because if you go down a different path, only Kazuki and Ryogo are going to be similar across playthroughs. So every 100hrs or so it's interesting to see these characters you haven't played in a long time, joining up with the skillsets you earned what seems like ages ago. I'll unequivocally call it the best game ever made, but granted I'm on my tenth loop now.

FM5 didn't come out because S-E believes they can just pump out something else and make more money. I seem to recall they rebuffed all licensing too. Very irritating.

ethelred

I was beyond disappointed that FM5 never got localized... but I do hope they take another shot with the series here, with Front Mission 1st DS. Who knows? It could do really well and help to semi-revive the series' long-term chances here. If it does come to the US, buy ten copies, guys!

Also, Front Mission 1 is awesome, so it'd be great to have a localized version anyway.

Fireblend

Banned
definitely looking good. It better arrive here; I've been wanting more good tactic games since Advance Wars... this and Luminous Arc would just be perfect :D

MegaTen

Banned
Looks nice, but man.. I still wish S-E had released Front Mission Online outside of Japan. The PC version at least.

dejan

Me loves me some strategy games (currently playing AoE2 on the DS), but those screenshots look totally me(c)h to me.

duckroll said:
So... what does the PS1 remake look like? :D

frontmission1st_image4.jpg

frontmission1st_image8.jpg

frontmission1st_image3.jpg

prettier.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
chris michael enjoys being wrong ALL THE TIME, let him be. seems like he is quite proud of that.

bluemax

Banned
Day one purchase if this comes out in English.

They better keep the unbalancing super gun in too, just because.

duckroll

The official site has updated again. This time there's an official trailer up that looks REALLY good. The touchscreen controls in particular look great, and battle animations load at the top screen while the bottom screen stays on the map view at all times. :D

Direct link: http://dl.square-enix.co.jp/fm/fm1st pv-large.wmv

Also, there's an update on new graphical effects for chaff grenades, flash grenades, smoke grenades and acid bombs.

item01.jpg
item02.jpg

item03.jpg
item04.jpg

There's also a new difficulty setting for New Game+, whereby you can select to increase enemy strength by x0.5, x1.0 or x1.2.

Kuran

Banned
It seems most of the menu text is in English... would this be playable to a non Japanese speaker? Of course you'd miss out on the story, but..

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Ugh. I still think FM1 is the best game in the series, but there's no way I'm shelling out for it AGAIN, after SFC, WonderSwan and PSone. Even the FM5 connections won't do it for me.

(Aw hell, who am I kidding, I probably will end up buying it for the Squeni Members' Club points...)

Lee N

Membre
duckroll said:
There's also a new difficulty setting for New Game+, whereby you can select to increase enemy strength by x0.5, x1.0 or x1.2.
Increase?

Do you mean x1.5, x2.0 and x2.2 or why would you wanna lower the enemy strength to 50% on the new file?

duckroll

Lee N said:
Increase?

Do you mean x1.5, x2.0 and x2.2 or why would you wanna lower the enemy strength to 50% on the new file?

Increase by x0.5, x1.0, x1.5. As in, normal difficulty + x0.5, etc. :)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I`m tempted to pick this up and do a redux of my FM5 jealousy thread. :lol

Lee N

Membre
duckroll said:
Increase by x0.5, x1.0, x1.5. As in, normal difficulty + x0.5, etc. :)
The "x" is a bit redundant then as it means "multiply with". And something multiplied with 0.5 is something/2.

duckroll

Lee N said:
The "x" is a bit redundant then as it means "multiply with". And something multiplied with 0.5 is something/2.

No no, you're just misunderstanding what it represents. The "x0.5" represents the INCREMENT, not the total. In which case, it's incrementing the strength of enemy troops by half of the normal strength.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
duckroll said:
No no, you're just misunderstanding what it represents. The "x0.5" represents the INCREMENT, not the total. In which case, it's incrementing the strength of enemy troops by half of the normal strength.

So it`s an incremental increase equal to the one half of the original difficulty.

Makes sense to me. They SHOULD have taken out the x, and made it +0.5 or something. Whatever.

TimeKillr

Having finished FM1 on my SNES with an unlocalized version..

If they don't touch the menus and item names and such, it's VERY playable in japanese. You just kinda miss out on the story.

duckroll

Lee N

Membre
duckroll said:
But with the x, it means the difficulty is increased by 0.5 times of the original difficulty.
but x0.5 is 50% of the original number.

x0.5 doesn't increase anything, it splits the original value in half.
x1.5 would add 50% to the original value.

see for yourself:

100 x0.5 = 50
100 x1.5 = 150

duckroll said:
This is a really retarded discussion btw. :p
It's pretty simple math, really..

Top Bottom